CAP 5 CAP 5 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Looks like the goggle eyes are back from the first one doug :P

My favourites so far would have to be either Kopies, Regi's or Dougs.
I am an unabashed Flygon fanboy, and one of the coolest things about Flygon are those see-through eye coverings. The goggles on my Planet design certainly derive from my penchant for that look.

The goggles actually started as a clear glass "helmet" that covered the head and eyes. I wanted to add something to the basic planet sphere to make it look "astronaut-ish". Unfortunately, the helmet made the design look less like a planet, and more like a floating head with a weird belt or something. Not good. When I erased the top of the helmet, it reduced the visual distraction from the overall "planetary" look. That "half helmet" gave rise to the idea for the stylized "wraparound goggles" you see in the design.

I'm glad to see you've been paying such close attention to all the CAP art polls! Or did you "cheat" and just notice the similarity because of my semi-recent posting of past CAP designs in my art thread? Either way, I'm glad someone out there notices my stuff. Thanks for the compliment.

To be honest, Caladbolg, I prefer your earlier, lighter colour scheme. Also, I don't agree with those cracks as it makes his body surface needlessly busy (not to mention hard to sprite).

Hazmat, I think your drum is hilarious. I can't wait to see it coloured. Belly Drum for surprise physical sweep!

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
I am an unabashed Flygon fanboy, and one of the coolest things about Flygon are those see-through eye coverings. The goggles on my Planet design certainly derive from my penchant for that look.
Maybe it looks better with Lunatone/Solrock eyes' type. You know, we have the Sun, the Moon... Now a Planet...

Like many others, when I thought about special sweeping rock type, the first thing that came to my mind was some kind of crystal, so I made a design based on that. I first made the rock crystal mix, but I didn't like it that much so I desided to try a fully crystal colouring and I like it much more but I'm worried it might look a little too simple, so I'm posting both of them so I could get some critisism and ideas since they still need some improvement.

I posted three sketches earlier. I decided to go with my favorite -- the "Planet Pokemon". Unlike many of my previous CAP designs, I don't have a lot of backstory to go with this one. I just thought that this design captures the essence of a fast, special attacking, rock-type pokemon.

gg, atomic rape

This is a great mind blowing concept that actually depicts this project the best in my eyes, you can see this one using Aura Sphere, Thunderbolt, Ancient Power, Ice Beam, Flamethrower, and any other special or support move out there in general. You blow peoples minds away, DJD!

Doug, that thing is amazing. Maybe toning down the humanity of those eyes, as well as the addition of a mouthlike feature will make it even more appealing.

Caladbolg, that coloring is AWESOME! I agree with the arctic one, new armor on old body would be crazy.

InHell13, OMFZL24G. That chess thing would be AWESOME. I can see the first one as fast because of the frailty, special because of the whole bishop thing, and Rock because of the material. I prefer the first one because the second one is kinda straying too far from the whole chess thing. That is probably by far the most ingenious idea so far in all of CaP, as stated by someone earlier. Maybe making it a little more stable/bulkier?
The second one seems like a Bronzong on a diet because of the two "arms" and the very similar coloring. It also doesn't seem much like a chess piece because the head is kinda "squidish".

BTW. I AM ONLY MAKING SUGGESTIONS AS CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. NO OFFENSE IS INTENDED.

right ok, just a sketch to start with but plz comment on it to give opinions for adding or taking away stuff and for colour. Still needs to be finalised.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Doug, that thing is amazing. Maybe toning down the humanity of those eyes, as well as the addition of a mouthlike feature will make it even more appealing.
Are you referring to "humanity" because of the realism in the coloring? If so, don't read too much into my coloring technique. The coloring detail is just to give people a rich design to work from. In a 80x80 pixel sprite, everything will be much flatter.

The general design of the eyes are fairly standard anime eyes. Big pupils, brightly colored, with a liberal eye glint. Pokes like Wigglytuff, Dragonair, and Nidorina have big anime eyes. That's the general look I was going for with my design. I experimented with small pupils, but I thought it made the design look too much like Voltorb. Also the goggles draw attention to that part of the face. So, I think the eyes need to have some "substance".

If my design is fortunate enough to win, the spriters will flatten the eyes quite a bit -- which is expected.

I really debated on the mouth. I tried a few, but didn't like any of them. I may add one, if other people think the design is lacking without one.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I really debated on the mouth. I tried a few, but didn't like any of them. I may add one, if other people think the design is lacking without one.
Personally I think it looks badass without the mouth. It has this "determined" look with the goggles and no mouth, and it really works.

Hmm, I've yet to comment on Doug's concept.
Well, I think it's good.
I have a bit of a mixed opinion on it.
I really like it, but it seems like it could seem more mature in the sense that Charizard is more mature-looking than Charmander.
But maybe it could would like Mew, being one staged?
Or just "youthful-looking?"

That is really impressive Doug. It fits the theme very well and looks amazing. Just one problem: Are we stuck with Levitate with this design? It would be hard to justify not giving it, but I find it really limits creativity.

P.S. Still waiting for Lofty's final sub...c'mon man, the suspense is killing me.

bojangles

IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I've really supported Caladbolg~'s Easter Island pokemon, but Wichu's serpent may be stealing its place...

I posted three sketches earlier. I decided to go with my favorite -- the "Planet Pokemon". Unlike many of my previous CAP designs, I don't have a lot of backstory to go with this one. I just thought that this design captures the essence of a fast, special attacking, rock-type pokemon.

i really like this one. i can see it sending the little planets around it attacking others as meateor storm, meteor mash, etc. i can imagine a really cool sprite for this, but unfortunatley, i dont know how to make sprites. the eyes dont look really pokemon-y tho..

The coloured version of my original design.

A slightly modified version with less crystals.

And finally, a brand new design: a sand serpent. Like a sea serpent, but in the desert.

Any comments?
By the way, I have another Easter Island Pokemon color scheme.

#1 CAP
Ok so ummm.... I just decided an evolution line based on chess pieces is the most ingenious idea yet. Pawn--Bishop/Rook/Knight--Queen/King.

AMAZING!!!!
First off, the drawings are amazing, so new contenders there, and cada, ur new colors make it seriously, #1 cap.

Also, they already have chess pieces...in DIGIMON :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PawnChessmon

Thanks Cyberzero for the coomment.
I'll keep my first bishop pokemon.
Here are some examples of what could be a shiny bishop.

Comments please

Regi DS' is really good, like awesomeist but it's totally not Eeveeltuion like, it's too dogish to be.
Well I'm going to give my first shot at Cap art, I don't have any fancy equipment so we will see how well this turns out

Here's my finalized art:

I tried to keep the color scheme to primaries, but the black worked so well I couldn't resist. And I decided I didn't like the huge pool of black in the eyes, so I've used gems for eyeballs. I think it gives it a bit more personality. ^^

I actually quite like the new cracks in Caladbolg's design. It makes it look very much like a fossil Pokemon (which i dig)

That thing is awesome, I love the first one, I think this could be a sleeper.
Maybe if you could make the arms and that thing in the middle more defined? For example, the first one has black arms, the black thing in the middle, and it has black in between which can be kind of deteriorating. If you can maybe do the same drawing from a different angle as well, it would be awesome, sorry if I'm asking too much. It's just that I think that it's an awesome idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)