Suspect Test Process Stage Three - Version 2.0!

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Garchomp continues to dominate in typical fashion. I've had to resort to defensively-based teams in order to keep opposing Garchomp under control, and yet that occasionally backfires due to Sand Veil and the fact that the opponent has five other pokemon for me to deal with. Garchomp only needs to do so much with one Swords Dance before the rest of my opponent's team can exploit any voids in my own team courtesy of an +2 Outrage + Earthquake massacre.

Thankfully Yache Berry Garchomp is relatively uncommon these days, which allows Shuca Berry DDTar with Ice Punch to set up on Garchomp one-on-one (provided it's not Choice Scarfed!). Haban, Salac and BrightPowder appear to be the items of choice in my experience so far.

The current Suspect Ladder is pretty damn fast-paced, and damn well centralized around our star sand dragon.

CB Garchomp was a wonderful candidate on my team, as being able to create a huge dent into the opposition and causing mayhem to anything that tend to switch in and expecting non-boosted attacks. Sometimes I’d switch over to Adamant nature and it would turn some 2-4HKO into 1-3HKO. Jolly nature is still as beneficial in term of taking the 50/50 chance of breaking the speed-tie, but I do miss that omnipotent sexy boost of power. Dual Screen Bronzong and Scarf WoW-Trickster Rotom were some pretty excellent partners for Garchomp too, as those two can truly disrupt the synergy of the opposition. Magnezone with Substitute and Magnet Rise is a major annoyance to the former, but then we can predict the other attack to be either HP Ice/Grass or Explosion. Come to think of it, Magnezone would make another excellent partner to Garchomp and can easily take out any slower steel with the combination of Sub & Magnet Rise, and then rinsing out the other switch-in who happen to underestimate the threat of Magnezone with a Life Orbed HP Grass/Ice or Explosion. That would be killing two/more birds with one stone, and especially abusive with the current Steel & Dragon types centralization.

As for both Manaphy and Latias, I truly believe they will be very well welcome with open hands to the OU tier. The latter is not in any way broken to warrant any vote to Uber as I’m pretty sure how we all have experienced her in the current OU metagame. Now the former isn’t actually that dangerous, even with the support of Rain Dance. We know Manaphy can create 101 Substitute to abuse its Tail Glow ability, but it doesn’t have the immunity to Toxic Spikes and Sandstorm like Jirachi, and even if it does happen to run Surf/Sub/Tail Glow/Rest, the variances of CM Suicune, WA Quagsire, Toxicroak, Vaporeon and even Ludicolo walls it. And the two-attack syndrome means it won’t be able to sweep everything.

As much as I’m afraid of how the voting results will turn out and the more I play on the Suspect Ladder, I can sadly picture what Garchomp’s fate will be. As long as there continues to be complaints from the players of how much the battle is solely determined by how much their Garchomp can contribute, that some costly mistakes happen due to the diversity of sets of Garchomp, then with the Sand Veil ability and the excellent distributions of stats and typing, the many Garchomp supporters are truly losing their fight to bring back the ever infamous offensive beast. And yes, I'm one of the supporter.

As much as I’m afraid of how the voting results will turn out and the more I play on the Suspect Ladder, I can sadly picture what Garchomp’s fate will be. As long as there continues to be complaints from the players of how much the battle is solely determined by how much their Garchomp can contribute, that some costly mistakes happen due to the diversity of sets of Garchomp, then with the Sand Veil ability and the excellent distributions of stats and typing, the many Garchomp supporters are truly losing their fight to bring back the ever infamous offensive beast. And yes, I'm one of the supporter.
Most people will vote for the metagame they enjoy the most, and if Garchomp makes it less enjoyable for certain people they will vote based off that alone.

Garchomp continues to dominate in typical fashion. I've had to resort to defensively-based teams in order to keep opposing Garchomp under control, and yet that occasionally backfires due to Sand Veil and the fact that the opponent has five other pokemon for me to deal with. Garchomp only needs to do so much with one Swords Dance before the rest of my opponent's team can exploit any voids in my own team courtesy of an +2 Outrage + Earthquake massacre.

Thankfully Yache Berry Garchomp is relatively uncommon these days, which allows Shuca Berry DDTar with Ice Punch to set up on Garchomp one-on-one (provided it's not Choice Scarfed!). Haban, Salac and BrightPowder appear to be the items of choice in my experience so far.
Mmmm.... that sounds really cool! I want to give Chain Chomp a try with something along the lines of DDTar or SDLuke.

Heh, Garchomp is fine for me, it's other random stuff which is stopping me from winning. Outrage is imo a terrible move to lock yourself into, even with a Swords Dance under your belt, and I find that ScarfChomp just picks off the stuff that's already been tossed around.

Latias is ok to deal with. Manaphy is rare all of a sudden, the set with Substitute and Tail Glow is actually quite good. Both of the suspects are struggling though, and Latias is just being used because it's an easy check to Garchomp and Manaphy.

And the over-centralization is great. If anything this metagame is more fun than the current one. There's always going to be a #1 used Pokemon, and even if you get rid of the #1, #2 will just take his place. I don't think anyone's saying Garchomp is bad OU Pokemon. It's probably the best in Suspect, just like Scizor is the general all-round best in OU. Not a good reason for it to be uber though..

yea getting sick of gaychomp hax myself, the rediculous missing is not 1 in 150 it seems to be very often.
it does appear there has been some shift from the generic azelf manaphy garchomp latias <filler> <filler> to a bit more varied, seems to be more ttars floating around now instead spotted a couple of kingdras too

this was a very interesting game once again decided by chomp, yes i realize the odds of everything happening but regardless, it happened and can happen, and sometimes garchomps power and speed puts himself in a position for things like this to happen.

for respect of my opponent and as i doubt he wants his team revealed as he is near top of ladder, his name will remain hidden.

Code:
kd24 sent out Roserade (lvl 100 Roserade ?).
Opponent screwed by Garchomp: hello
Kate Beckinsale used Ice Beam.
It's super effective!
Roserade lost 94% of its health.
Kate Beckinsale lost 10% of its health.
Roserade used Leaf Storm.
It's super effective!
Kate Beckinsale lost 90% of its health.
Opponent screwed by Garchomp's Kate Beckinsale fainted.
Roserade's special attack was harshly lowered.
---
kd24: hi
Opponent screwed by Garchomp switched in Pearl Harbor (lvl 100 Garchomp ?).
kd24 switched in Skarmory (lvl 100 Skarmory ?).
Pearl Harbor used Dragon Claw.
It's not very effective...
Skarmory lost 12% of its health.
---
Opponent screwed by Garchomp switched in Snow Angels (lvl 100 Heatran ?).
Skarmory used Spikes.
Spikes were scattered around the foe's team!
---
Krack has entered the room.
kd24 switched in Tyranitar (lvl 100 Tyranitar ?).
Tyranitar's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!
A sandstorm brewed!
Snow Angels used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
The sandstorm rages.
---
Snow Angels used Earth Power.
It's super effective!
Tyranitar lost 29% of its health.
Tyranitar's special defence was lowered.
Tyranitar used Stealth Rock.
The sandstorm rages.
Tyranitar's leftovers restored its health a little!
Tyranitar restored 6% of its health.
---
kd24 switched in Manaphy (lvl 100 Manaphy).
Pointed stones dug into Manaphy.
Manaphy lost 12% of its health.
Snow Angels used Earth Power.
Manaphy lost 29% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
Manaphy is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Manaphy lost 6% of its health.
Manaphy's leftovers restored its health a little!
Manaphy restored 6% of its health.
---
Manaphy used Surf.
It's super effective!
Snow Angels lost 79% of its health.
Snow Angels used Explosion.
Manaphy lost 59% of its health.
kd24's Manaphy fainted.
Opponent screwed by Garchomp's Snow Angels fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Opponent screwed by Garchomp switched in Underworld (lvl 100 Tyranitar ?).
kd24 switched in Roserade (lvl 100 Roserade ?).
Pointed stones dug into Roserade.
Roserade lost 6% of its health.
kd24's Roserade fainted.
Underworld's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!
Underworld was hurt by Spikes!
Underworld lost 12% of its health.
Pointed stones dug into Underworld.
Underworld lost 12% of its health.
kd24 switched in Skarmory (lvl 100 Skarmory ?).
Pointed stones dug into Skarmory.
Skarmory lost 12% of its health.
Underworld used Flamethrower.
It's super effective!
Skarmory lost 70% of its health.
Skarmory used Spikes.
Spikes were scattered around the foe's team!
The sandstorm rages.
---
Underworld used Flamethrower.
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Skarmory lost 5% of its health.
kd24's Skarmory fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
---
kd24 switched in Zapdos (lvl 100 Zapdos).
Zapdos is exerting its pressure!
Pointed stones dug into Zapdos.
Zapdos lost 25% of its health.
Zapdos used Substitute.
Zapdos made a substitute!
Underworld used Crunch.
The substitute took damage for Zapdos!
Zapdos's substitute faded!
The sandstorm rages.
Zapdos is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Zapdos lost 6% of its health.
Zapdos's leftovers restored its health a little!
Zapdos restored 6% of its health.
---
Zapdos used Roost.
Zapdos restored 50% of its health.
Underworld used Crunch.
Zapdos lost 48% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Zapdos used Roost.
Zapdos restored 48% of its health.
Underworld used Crunch.
Zapdos lost 49% of its health.
Zapdos's defence was lowered.
The sandstorm rages.
---
kd24 switched in Tyranitar (lvl 100 Tyranitar ?).
Pointed stones dug into Tyranitar.
Tyranitar lost 12% of its health.
Underworld used Crunch.
Tyranitar lost 17% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
Tyranitar's leftovers restored its health a little!
Tyranitar restored 6% of its health.
---
Underworld used Superpower.
It's super effective!
Tyranitar lost 54% of its health.
kd24's Tyranitar fainted.
Underworld's attack was lowered.
Underworld's defence was lowered.
The sandstorm rages.
---
kd24 switched in Zapdos (lvl 100 Zapdos).
Zapdos is exerting its pressure!
Pointed stones dug into Zapdos.
Zapdos used Roost.
Underworld used Crunch.
Zapdos lost 32% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Zapdos used Roost.
Underworld used Crunch.
Zapdos lost 31% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Zapdos used Substitute.
Zapdos made a substitute!
Underworld used Crunch.
A critical hit!
The substitute took damage for Zapdos!
Zapdos's substitute faded!
The sandstorm rages.
---
Zapdos used Roost.
Underworld used Crunch.
A critical hit!
Zapdos lost 88% of its health.
kd24's Zapdos fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
---
kd24 switched in Garchomp (lvl 100 Garchomp ?).
Pointed stones dug into Garchomp.
Garchomp lost 6% of its health.
kd24: bah
kd24: i wanted at least one more poke revealed
kd24: before i had to use chomp
Garchomp used Outrage.
Garchomp went on a rampage!
A critical hit!
Underworld lost 75% of its health.
Opponent screwed by Garchomp's Underworld fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Opponent screwed by Garchomp: where theres a garchomp theres a way
Opponent screwed by Garchomp switched in Van Helsing (lvl 100 Rotom-w).
Pointed stones dug into Van Helsing.
Van Helsing lost 12% of its health.
Van Helsing used Shadow Ball.
Van Helsing's attack missed!
Garchomp used Outrage.
Van Helsing lost 88% of its health.
Opponent screwed by Garchomp's Van Helsing fainted.
The sandstorm rages.
---
Opponent screwed by Garchomp switched in Click (lvl 100 Scizor ?).
Click was hurt by Spikes!
Click lost 19% of its health.
Pointed stones dug into Click.
Click lost 12% of its health.
Click used Bullet Punch.
Click's attack missed!
Garchomp used Outrage.
A critical hit!
Click lost 69% of its health.
Opponent screwed by Garchomp's Click fainted.
Garchomp's rampage ended.
Garchomp became confused!
The sandstorm rages.
---
Opponent screwed by Garchomp: well that sucked
Opponent screwed by Garchomp switched in Pearl Harbor (lvl 100 Garchomp ?).
Pearl Harbor was hurt by Spikes!
Pearl Harbor lost 19% of its health.
Pointed stones dug into Pearl Harbor.
Pearl Harbor lost 6% of its health.
kd24: you were right about that one
kd24: but i think youll still win
Garchomp is confused!
Garchomp used Outrage.
Garchomp went on a rampage!
It's super effective!
Pearl Harbor lost 75% of its health.
Opponent screwed by Garchomp's Pearl Harbor fainted.
kd24 wins!
---
kd24: oof
Opponent screwed by Garchomp: nope
kd24: eh gg but not really
Krack: wow
Krack: lol
Opponent screwed by Garchomp: yeah thats about right
Opponent screwed by Garchomp: gg
kd24: one of those rare examples of why chomp might deserve to be banned
kd24: i still think ou
kd24: but things like this really piss me off
Krack has left the room.
Opponent screwed by Garchomp: lol i agree
kd24: i guess i should post this log (obviously not using your name)
kd24: in the stage 3.2 thread
Opponent screwed by Garchomp: i just saved it lol
Opponent screwed by Garchomp: bye
Opponent screwed by Garchomp has left the room.
ive been playing a bit just to get an idea of what the metagame is like, i can say its mostly dominated by chomp right now, ive tried a few different manaphy sets, but manaphy seems a bit underwhelming right now.

if you are playing suspect, expect a lot of battles to end up chomp vs chomp, a lot of mine have been, and also "PLAY SUSPECT (please =])"

edit: i dont have an opinion on this chomp yet, i felt stage 3.1 chomp was ou easily, without 2 decent checks of latios and skymin though, chomp seems to be a lot better off. so please don't think im saying "chomp is uber from hax", i have yet to form an actual side.

ive tried out manaphy a little, its far from impressive, it suffers from 4-slot syndrome, and 510 EV syndrome. manaphy is not fast enough to sweep a team by itself, and whatever set you run something is going to beat you. i tried tail glow and 101 sub, and all of them are walled by something. tail glow is to vulnerable to revenge killing, and 101 sub is supposed to shine against stall, but it doesnt. you run sub, [insert stat up], surf, and [rain dance + rest, wait, oops]. not to mention stall has sand a lot.

manaphy > OU

I have to say, Manaphy is a total dud.
I tried him on an Rain Dance team, where he is meant to be at his strongest, and he NEVER swept a team.
He wasn't fast enough without a +Spe nature, and wasn't powerful enough without a +SAtk nature, even after a Tail Glow.
He didn't have enough bulk to survive any 2KO's, especially LO Outrage from Garchomp.
I found he just wasn't up to scratch; I always felt safer going to my Kindra/Kabutops. In OU, I don't think he'd make too much of an impact; Gyara can stop those witout Grass Knot, and Mence/Dragonite can stop those WITH Grass Knot. Those with 3 attacks without Rest, are too easy to wear down. Blissey stop ALL versions DEAD, and those with Rest can be countered quite easily.
I believe it would take a similar role to AgilitySubPetaya Empoleon, needing masses of team support to work, but being deadly with it, because with it's counters removed, it can just annihalate teams.
But Empoleon isn't Uber, is it?
What do you people think?

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Substitute is a waste of a moveslot on Garchomp. It gives you more chances to troll for a Sand Veil miss and set up, yes, but you're doing 25% self-damage to yourself each time you use it anyway. It's not like Garchomp is frail, just prepare to take the hit directly and be pleasantly surprised when the opponent misses even without doing the opponent's work for them by Subbing down to nothing.

Not a whole lot of Garchomp in that o.0
I have to say, Manaphy is a total dud.
I tried him on an Rain Dance team, where he is meant to be at his strongest, and he NEVER swept a team.
He wasn't fast enough without a +Spe nature, and wasn't powerful enough without a +SAtk nature, even after a Tail Glow.
He didn't have enough bulk to survive any 2KO's, especially LO Outrage from Garchomp.
I found he just wasn't up to scratch; I always felt safer going to my Kindra/Kabutops. In OU, I don't think he'd make too much of an impact; Gyara can stop those witout Grass Knot, and Mence/Dragonite can stop those WITH Grass Knot. Those with 3 attacks without Rest, are too easy to wear down. Blissey stop ALL versions DEAD, and those with Rest can be countered quite easily.
I believe it would take a similar role to AgilitySubPetaya Empoleon, needing masses of team support to work, but being deadly with it, because with it's counters removed, it can just annihalate teams.
But Empoleon isn't Uber, is it?
What do you people think?

Manaphy's great typing,
with the proper support (and maybe rain)
It can be somewhat better then Empoleon,
with far better stats,
but I have to agree, I don't know if it deserves Ubers.

Question:

If Garchomp is voted Uber, could there possibly be a test with Yache Berry banned?

After all, Latias was allowed in OU with Soul Dew banned.

Question:

If Garchomp is voted Uber, could there possibly be a test with Yache Berry banned?

No. The Soul Dew itself was banned because it breaks the Lati siblings and doesn't do anything for any other Pokemon. Other Pokemon besides Garchomp, however, can viably use Yache Berry just fine with it keeping its effect, so the Yache Berry won't be banned just because of Garchomp. That still leaves the option of banning it just on Garchomp, but this won't be happening either, as that opens up the precedent of having Pokemon in different tiers depending on what their hold-item is, which could get extremely confusing and messy. It's much better to simply leave it as a collection deal--either the Pokemon can run a set and item that makes it broken, or it can't. Thus, either all Garchomp sets will be banned to Ubers, or they'll all stay as options in middle ground--there will be no YacheChomp in Ubers and ScarfChomp in OU, or anything like that.

Question:

also i dont think it would make a difference, people arent using ice attacks to counter garchomp right now, its mostly latias and scizor, who use dragon and steel respectively (and im going to try habanchomp soon)

only item that should be banned is brightpowder, to ban an item like yache berry is opening a can of worms, people will want all berrys banned if one gets banned :/

With some more consideration, Manaphy is good, but he certainly does not fall under any of the uber characteristics.

Offensive? Manaphy needs tons of team support to full off a good sweep more of the time- lures for strong electric attacks, something to handle TTar and Abomasnow (lol) more of the time, toxic spikes/something strong for Vaporeon, something to handle Latias, stronger physical attacks, the list goes on. Manaphy can sweep, but like our friends Gyarados and Salamence, its cannot sweep just on a whim. OU.

Defensive: CroCune outclasses, Suicune sure isn't going up to Uber. OU.

Support: Lol. Status immune Rain Setter-Upper? Lol. OU.

Cathy

Banned deucer.
A lot of people have asked this, and I never posted about it anywhere publicly, so let me clarify how the leaderboard works as of a few weeks ago. In order to be listed, you need to have less than 100 deviation at 11:30 PM PDT. Then you'll be listed for the following day.

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
Im loving this metagame in the few battles ive played so far (although I still hate Garchomp!) I dunno about everyone else but i'm using Swords Dance / Dragon Claw / Earthquake / Outrage Garchomp because I hate being locked in.

I've found LO 3 Attack Tail Glow Manaphy + Pursuit Metagross is ridiculously awesome. (PS to prove how much this is like old DP I'm using ipl's old offense team with Manaphy > Deoxys E).

Azelf lead is everywhere, its a solid lead so far.

Old school Mix Lucario (HP Ice / Stone Edge / Close Combat / Extreme Speed) is cool to use again, especially OHKOing non Yache Chomp switch ins, which feels awesome.

Overall I am liking this so far.

heres a quick log showing my use of garchomp, and why i think it is ridiculous and should be uber:

Code:
   Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause, Soul Dew Clause
  boredomisbliss sent out Jirachi (lvl 100 Jirachi).
  Opponent sent out Azelf (lvl 100 Azelf).
  Mushroom1 has entered the room.
  Mushroom1 has left the room.
  Jirachi used U-turn.
  It's super effective!
  Azelf lost 45% of its health.
  boredomisbliss switched in Garchomp (lvl 100 Garchomp ?).
  Azelf used Stealth Rock.
  ---
  Garchomp used Dragon Claw.
  Azelf lost 45% of its health.
  Azelf used Reflect.
  A barrier was formed!
  ---
  Azelf lost 10% of its health.
  Opponent's Azelf fainted.
  ---
  Opponent switched in Lucario (lvl 100 Lucario ?).
  boredomisbliss switched in Salamence (lvl 100 Salamence ?).
  Salamence's intimidate cut Lucario's attack!
  Pointed stones dug into Salamence.
  Salamence lost 25% of its health.
  Lucario used Swords Dance.
  Lucario's attack was sharply raised.
  ---
  Lucario used Extremespeed.
  Salamence lost 66% of its health.
  Lucario lost 10% of its health.
  Salamence used Brick Break.
  The wall shattered!
  It's super effective!
  Lucario lost 90% of its health.
  Opponent's Lucario fainted.
  Salamence lost 9% of its health.
  boredomisbliss's Salamence fainted.
  ---
  boredomisbliss switched in Jirachi (lvl 100 Jirachi).
  Opponent switched in Salamence (lvl 100 Salamence ?).
  Pointed stones dug into Jirachi.
  Jirachi lost 6% of its health.
  Salamence's intimidate cut Jirachi's attack!
  Jirachi used Iron Head.
  Salamence lost 30% of its health.
  Salamence used Dragon Dance.
  Salamence's attack was raised.
  Salamence's speed was raised.
  ---
  Salamence used Fire Blast.
  It's super effective!
  Jirachi lost 75% of its health.
  Salamence lost 10% of its health.
  Jirachi used Iron Head.
  Salamence lost 31% of its health.
  ---
  Salamence used Fire Blast.
  It's super effective!
  Jirachi lost 19% of its health.
  boredomisbliss's Jirachi fainted.
  Salamence lost 10% of its health.
  ---
  It's super effective!
  Salamence lost 19% of its health.
  Opponent's Salamence fainted.
  ---
  Opponent switched in Manaphy (lvl 100 Manaphy).
  boredomisbliss switched in Latias (lvl 100 Latias ?).
  Pointed stones dug into Latias.
  Latias lost 12% of its health.
  Manaphy used Ice Beam.
  It's super effective!
  Latias lost 60% of its health.
  Manaphy lost 10% of its health.
  ---
  Latias used Thunderbolt.
  It's super effective!
  Manaphy lost 72% of its health.
  Latias lost 10% of its health.
  Manaphy used Ice Beam.
  It's super effective!
  Latias lost 17% of its health.
  boredomisbliss's Latias fainted.
  Manaphy lost 10% of its health.
  ---
  Manaphy lost 8% of its health.
  Opponent's Manaphy fainted.
  ---
  Opponent switched in Tyranitar (lvl 100 Tyranitar ?).
  A sandstorm brewed!
  boredomisbliss switched in Scizor (lvl 100 Scizor ?).
  Pointed stones dug into Scizor.
  Scizor lost 12% of its health.
  Tyranitar used Dragon Dance.
  Tyranitar's attack was raised.
  Tyranitar's speed was raised.
  The sandstorm rages.
  ---
  Scizor used Bullet Punch.
  It's super effective!
  Tyranitar lost 53% of its health.
  The Babiri Berry weakened Bullet Punch's power!
  Tyranitar used Fire Punch.
  It's super effective!
  Scizor lost 88% of its health.
  boredomisbliss's Scizor fainted.
  The sandstorm rages.
  ---
  Garchomp used Earthquake.
  It's super effective!
  Tyranitar lost 47% of its health.
  Opponent's Tyranitar fainted.
  The sandstorm rages.
  ---
  Opponent has left the room.
  boredomisbliss wins!
as demonstrated garchomp got a whopping 4/5 kills (credits to mence for breaking screens) but hyperoffensive teams are in no shortage right now, and this shows that a) garchomp shuts those teams down and b) that seriously, im just sack-revenge-sack-revenge

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wow I am genuinely surprised by everyone saying that Manaphy is deadweight, because that has not been my experience at all. It has won me the game on numerous occasions and only does not sweep my team because I run a scarf Abomasnow and a max speed Jirachi with Thunderpunch. I would encourage players to use the following set, as it has been working well for me:

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP/200 Def/36 Spd/20 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Rain Dance
- Surf
- Rest

Rain dance is especially effective because a number of games come down to 'who controls the weather'. On that note I would also recommend using Scarf Abomasnow.

Errr...what does that even show exactly? It's just you weakening things with other members of your team, and then just picking them off with ScarfChomp. You can put a scarf on anything and do that.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Sub is definitely not deadweight on Garchomp. If your opponent is relying on checking garchomp, as everyone in this thread is suggesting you do, then having a sub up when you ko something means you get to ko something else as well. If your opponent has limited Garchomp checks then you may sweep.

Haunter's log is a pretty typical scenario, and it ended with a 20% chance of 1 ko and a set up, and an almost 40% chance of an outright victory. Yache berry in that situation would have given him an almost certain ko and a set up, but only a miniscule chance of sweeping the entire team.

Have a nice day.

Substitute is a waste of a moveslot on Garchomp. It gives you more chances to troll for a Sand Veil miss and set up, yes, but you're doing 25% self-damage to yourself each time you use it anyway. It's not like Garchomp is frail, just prepare to take the hit directly and be pleasantly surprised when the opponent misses even without doing the opponent's work for them by Subbing down to nothing.
I definitely disagree with this; Substitute does what you say, gives Sand Veil time to activate, but it also saves me time and again from being revenge killed by the frequently seen Scarf Latias/Chomps, and Bullet Punches.

Manaphy was underwhelming the first few days, but people have seem to have found their niche in this Sand Storm ridden environment. I've seen a good mix of Tail Glow+3 attacks and Calm Mind Dancers. They can both be defeated, but against slow teams Tail Glow just wrecks everything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)