The Fysical Phitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windsong

stumbling down elysian fields
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Guys wait till I get a sub 16 5k and can keep up with you two before running through greece plx!

But seriously happy (slightly late >_<) birthday lee!

I go on a five mile jog and the following day do two reps of 25-35 pushup as well as squats and lunges.
as for my diet i am not sure how to count calories as i don't eat many packaged foods etc garden produce doesn't come with a label lol.

Scimjara

Bert Stare
is a Tutor Alumnus
Alright, other moron, that's true enough.

"It gets boring" = legit reason to put down a program. What is listening to your body, btw? Are certain muscles saying "Do tricep extensions today!!!" or "Romanian deadlifts today!!!" ??? idgi

When you say gains what do you mean? Do you mean gains as in the numbers going up on the weights? Or do you mean muscle? I think muscle wise, hell yeah he's gonna look more "ripped" if he's doing a split routine. I don't think he'll be stronger though.

You have a source for that? Just curious.

Do people who do split routines not have a routine? Like, walk me through a day at the gym with you. At this point, I'm really intrigued.

Who really cares whether he does them all in one day or not? To me, none of those exercises are hard to learn. If he doesn't feel like learning them all in one day, who said he had to? He could spend a week before hand working on them if he felt he couldn't do them (although it would only take like 1-3 days, really).

y u heff 2 be mad bro
TLDR.

All in all, I've been doing my "way" for 1 and a half year and I can guarantee you that I have stronger lifts then you even if you're a 220 pound fat ass. Structure is fucking boring and useless. end of story

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TLDR.

All in all, I've been doing my "way" for 1 and a half year and I can guarantee you that I have stronger lifts then you even if you're a 220 pound fat ass. Structure is fucking boring and useless. end of story
I don't know if I'd call structure useless. Boring to some, absolutely. But some people need structure to help them get the most of their workouts. People who lack discipline, noobs, or ADD people like me need all the structure we can get to make sure we do all the exercises we should.

Once you're a pro, structure can be abandoned to fit your routine, but it's certainly not useless to people who are still learning form and the finer points of working out.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Let's just remember the basics;

more reps + less sets = muscle hypertrophy
less reps + more sets = strength hypertrophy

as I mentioned like 20 pages ago in this thread, Layne Norton's workout program is a great way to do this both, but it won't beat concentrating yourself on one alone. this program also requires mental strength, people can really blow themselves in the first few days. pacing is the key.

I believe any beginner with no experience in weight lifting or general fitness what do ever (not including those who took extended "breaks") should stay at a gym and complete a beginners routine for at least 6 months t get all the basics, science and forms right. After that you can call yourself wise enough to choose what to do next.

TLDR.

what are your lifts, btw? i'm curious.

also still interested in your day in a life at the gym.

you're really intriguing me.

also i'm 217.2 this morning :( not quite 220! don't get me celebrating yet!

edit: ps y u heff 2 be mad bro

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
While I agree that a little informality can be a good thing, I think it's best left to experienced lifters who know the exercises and their body well enough to get away with it. If he's just starting out then I think a ready-made routine is the best thing for him.

And take it easy Scim, you're coming across a little hostile. We're all bros here.

Scimjara

Bert Stare
is a Tutor Alumnus
what are your lifts, btw? i'm curious.

also still interested in your day in a life at the gym.

you're really intriguing me.

also i'm 217.2 this morning :( not quite 220! don't get me celebrating yet!

edit: ps y u heff 2 be mad bro
At 170 I benched 280, deadlift 465 , squated 365. No estat even though I'm 10 pounds lighter and cutting I can come close to the same weight .

Day in life at the gym for me ? Standard 5 day split except Rep range and set scheme changes upon how I feel . Wether I want to go heavy or not . Don't know how that is so interesting . Sorry if I train instinctively and not by some program and still make dem gains .

edit: ps not mad
edit 2: yes lee we are all bros :toast:

At 170 I benched 280, deadlift 465 , squated 365. No estat even though I'm 10 pounds lighter and cutting I can come close to the same weight .

Day in life at the gym for me ? Standard 5 day split except Rep range and set scheme changes upon how I feel . Wether I want to go heavy or not . Don't know how that is so interesting . Sorry if I train instinctively and not by some program and still make dem gains .

edit: ps not mad
edit 2: yes lee we are all bros :toast:
mmmmm that a baby

look at those lifts

<3

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Your bench is enormous for your weight. I was 200 and benching about 225 at my best. My deadlifts and squats were closer but only by virtue of my super soccer legs. I can only dream of benching 280 :(

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Also very strong squat Scijmara, your quads must be getting a lot of work. I'm mad at those numbers.

lmao you're gonna delete my post for pointing out something that was supposed to be controlled easily and turned out into making other members get to the point of calling each other out. k

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
just got back from the gym for the first time since breaking my foot and being off for like 6 months :/ (that's including being off for 2 months on vacation with no gyms in that area) holy fuck am I out of shape, but it feels good to get back to the grind

Alright so to double check, Greyskull LP is the best workout for me to get bigger muscles?

Monday
Bench/ or Press (A/B) 2x 5, 1 x 5+
Curl 2x 10-15 (bench days)
Squat 2x 5, 1x 5+
Neck Harness

Wednesday
Bench/ or Press 2x5, 1x 5+
Weighted Chins 2 x 6-8 (press days, and only if you can do at least 6-8 BW chins)
Deadlift 1x 5+ (with or without power cleans as warmups)
Neck Harness

Friday
Bench/ or Press (A/B) 2x 5, 1 x 5+
Curl 2x 10-15 (bench days)
Squat 2x 5, 1x 5+
Neck Harness

Bodyweight Chins are done every day.
5 lb jumps on Squat and Deadlift
2.5lb jumps on pressing movements and curls (when rep ranges are satisfied)
When reps on last set fall below 5, take 10% off of bar and begin process over (on that lift only)

maybe

imo you're looking for a split routine after all

might want to ask scim what he's been doing and for some help! (i think he posted a picture of himself at one point. maybe with the big biceps? i can't remember if that was him. might have to check the wall of mirin' to be sure)

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Yeah a split routine is what you are looking for. No reason to insult SS because you're not getting bigger muscles. It's like asking for Vitamin C from an apple. If you can, I would advice something like this;

Posted it here a while back ago..

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Layne_Norton%27s_Power/Hypertrophy_Routine

It's on Mark Ripptoe's site. Basically, 2 SS days with 3 days of high repetition exercises that focus on specific muscles on specific days. Not as complicated as it sounds and looks.
You can gain muscle and strength on both of these, and best thing is that you can go at your pace. If you have the dedication to follow this, it will give you real results.

If you're just looking for a simple split routine, there is no rocket science to it really. You pick 3-4 exercises for back/shoulders, triceps/biceps, legs/calfs, extra shit here/etc. 3-4 day split sounds good. 1-2 sets for each of the 3-4 exercises with of repetitions of 8-15 is the best for muscle growth.

Make sure you EAT. Whey Protein isn't all that. Get your calories in. Dirty calories, clean calories, it does not matter. Calories are calories, and you need a lot of them to put on some mass.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Yeah I figured eventually. Farrk that's after a year and a half of working out all natural? What did you eat to get those gains haha.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Seated tricep extension, skullcrushers, kickbacks and, although not technically isolated, WEIGHTED PUSH UPS are fantastic and get even moreso as you narrow your hands. I think triceps are better served by compound exercises such as bench press so don't overdo the isolation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)