SPOILERS! Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon News & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since it's event only, if we can't breed it to get more, that means it won't get Fire Fang, Thunder Fang and Sucker Punch unless the Fang moves become Level-up and Sucker Punch returns as a tutor. Speculation at this point but man it'll suck if it can't get those moves.

Have they ever actually removed a useful tutor move from the move tutor list since gen 4? I would be very surprised if Sucker Punch got removed even though it got nerfed.

Out of curiosity, where'd the other 2 CoroCoro pages go? There are usually 4 pages (2 two-page spreads) dedicated to Pokemon per issue, but we've only seen 2.

Event Pokemon: So is this a new thing now? A normal Pokemon given something special and used as an early promotion event gimmick? I'm not sure if I like that, especially if it encourages the anime writers to keep making Ash a special snowflake (he's suppose to be an "every man" character, him being special comes from his strategies and working with his Pokemon's strengths and weaknesses, not that one of his Pokemon gets a special power-up no one else gets). Also, were the Mythical Pokemon not enough? Like in ORAS I thought we were getting to a point where there were so many Mythical Pokemon that GF started to de-mythified some just so they didn't need to plan an Event to distribute it in the future (ORAS did this with Deoxys, hoping Sinnoh remakes would do this with Darkrai and maybe Manaphy (or use it as the early promotion event)). But now we're getting these special Event Pokemon who are super versions of normal Pokemon. Are they going to be gen exclusive like the Spiky-Eared Pichu? If not, would you ever plan on releasing them again even though they're closely tied to the anime who might not feature that Pokemon once that gen arc is over? Do they plan on making them available normally at some point? This just feels like a slippery slope I think GF should jump off of while they're still at the top.
Rotom forms where also distributed via event in Platinum and Zorua was an event pokemon once too so I'm sure we will get this Lycanroc though in-game means in gen VIII

Oh, this is open! Some quick
Event Pokemon: So is this a new thing now? A normal Pokemon given something special and used as an early promotion event gimmick? I'm not sure if I like that, especially if it encourages the anime writers to keep making Ash a special snowflake (he's suppose to be an "every man" character, him being special comes from his strategies and working with his Pokemon's strengths and weaknesses, not that one of his Pokemon gets a special power-up no one else gets). Also, were the Mythical Pokemon not enough? Like in ORAS I thought we were getting to a point where there were so many Mythical Pokemon that GF started to de-mythified some just so they didn't need to plan an Event to distribute it in the future (ORAS did this with Deoxys, hoping Sinnoh remakes would do this with Darkrai and maybe Manaphy (or use it as the early promotion event)). But now we're getting these special Event Pokemon who are super versions of normal Pokemon. Are they going to be gen exclusive like the Spiky-Eared Pichu? If not, would you ever plan on releasing them again even though they're closely tied to the anime who might not feature that Pokemon once that gen arc is over? Do they plan on making them available normally at some point? This just feels like a slippery slope I think GF should jump off of while they're still at the top.
1) Event Pokémon have always been a thing since Mew.

2) Event Pokémon have been a thing since the likes of Extremespeed Zigzagoon, Heal bell Dragonite, Wish Chansey, etc.

3) This is just a new (and probably successful) way of enticing younger players.

4) Alternative forms of characters works in a variety of other franchises -- Dragonball Z, Yu Yu Hakusho, Power Rangers, Streetfighter, One Piece, Naruto, Sailor Moon, Inuyasha, X-men, etc. It creates interest in the property & sells merchandise. It's honestly surprising it's taken Pokémon this long to get in on it.

5) Ash has met dozens of legendary Pokémon & saved the world double digit times. He's had amazing adventures. I don't think he's an "Everyman." He's not getting detention & working on getting his crush to go out with him to the school dance.

6) vast majority of people think Event Pokémon are cool. Save for what a very vocal minority part of the fan base thinks, they're probably not going away anytime soon.

7) Dusk Lycanroc is cool & we don't know much about it besides a tiny bit of visual info. Let's wait before we decide it sucks.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
1) Event Pokémon have always been a thing since Mew.

2) Event Pokémon have been a thing since the likes of Extremespeed Zigzagoon, Heal bell Dragonite, Wish Chansey, etc.

4) Alternative forms of characters works in a variety of other franchises -- Dragonball Z, Yu Yu Hakusho, Power Rangers, Streetfighter, One Piece, Naruto, Sailor Moon, Inuyasha, X-men, etc. It creates interest in the property & sells merchandise. It's honestly surprising it's taken Pokémon this long to get in on it.

5) Ash has met dozens of legendary Pokémon & saved the world double digit times. He's had amazing adventures. I don't think he's an "Everyman." He's not getting detention & working on getting his crush to go out with him to the school dance.

6) vast majority of people think Event Pokémon are cool. Save for what a very vocal minority part of the fan base thinks, they're probably not going away anytime soon.

7) Dusk Lycanroc is cool & we don't know much about it besides a tiny bit of visual info. Let's wait before we decide it sucks.
1) There's a difference between a Mythical Pokemon and what they did/are doing with Ash-Greninja and Lycanroc Dusk. The former is a super rare Pokemon, it was made purposely with the idea to be only given by an event. The latter is them taking a normal Pokemon and giving it a special form, sort of making an exclusive version of that Pokemon. It just feels a bit cheaper, especially when it's something linked to the anime where it only exists to make Ash special.

2) But they're still that Pokemon, they just have a special move. Ash-Greninja and Lycanroc Dusk are different forms which play differently (and intently better) from the normal version of that Pokemon.

4) Pokemon has plenty of Pokemon which have alternate forms, but usually they're not event exclusive. Now someone pointed out this was the case with Rotom's forms originally but they were later made available. Of course in that case any normal Rotom could change forms. Ash-Greninja and Lycanroc Dusk are a specific Greninja and Rockruff/Lycanroc.

5) Granted, Ash has been on great adventures and met/befriended Legendary Pokemon. But he's still a normal trainer, he didn't catch the Legendary, all his Pokemon are the Starters and com mons. His Pokemon didn't (use to) have a super form they could power-up to and start owning, his Pokemon were just another member of their species (sometimes with personality quirks) and Ash planned battling strategies (often on the spot) around their strength, weaknesses, and quirks. Also, Ash loses, or at the very least he gets a few of his Pokemon knocked out before winning. And his biggest loses are ones that affect his dreams and goals: winning a Pokemon League and one step closer to being a "Pokemon Master". However there just seems to be always someone stronger and better, which makes sense as Ash is still just a kid who still has plenty to learn.

6) Not asking for Event Pokemon to go away. What I was saying that instead of taking a normal Pokemon and giving it a special form only that individual member can have that maybe they should just make a completely new Pokemon. That way they're not restrained with trying to find ways to make the normal Pokemon better (thus making the original feel a bit inferior). Also it stops making Ash special in artificial reasons and force the writers to actually try write Ash as an interesting character whose a unique battling strategist which is what he was known for being.

7) While I think its design is lacking, I never said it sucks.

The National Dex has... uhh... put on a few pounds. I can see why they wouldn't want to make the forms new species instead -- making them new forms means that people don't feel obligated to get them for "true dex completion". (It also means they can be used in places like the Battle Tree, where event exclusives are otherwise banned as a matter of course.)

As for the normal trainer whose Pokemon aren't powered up in any way, that ship sailed with Mega Evolution.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
The National Dex has... uhh... put on a few pounds. I can see why they wouldn't want to make the forms new species instead -- making them new forms means that people don't feel obligated to get them for "true dex completion". (It also means they can be used in places like the Battle Tree, where event exclusives are otherwise banned as a matter of course.)

As for the normal trainer whose Pokemon aren't powered up in any way, that ship sailed with Mega Evolution.
Which is probably why they tossed the National Dex in Sun & Moon, which I agree with. With them expanding the Regional Dex as they did, including actually creating new dex entries for the Pokemon in the regional dex, the presence of the National Dex was starting to feel like baggage (especially when it came to completing it). Now I wouldn't mind if they had a National Dex that didn't keep track of what Pokemon you saw or had owned (though it would note if you currently had the Pokemon), but the Regional Dex is where the challenge of completing should be since that's partially the reason why your on your journey, to help the Professor record all the Pokemon in the region.

Also only Pokemon who can change between forms do people not feel like they need one of each form for dex completion. However if the forms are permanent I think a person simply collecting every kind of Pokemon would get the form differences since they're essentially different Pokemon. Like there's no reason to get more than one Oricorio, but they may want to have both the Kantonian and Alolan version of Pokemon with regional variants.

Finally, the thing with Mega Evolution is that any trainer can use it. Only Ash had Ash-Greninja and looks like he'll be the only one with Lycanroc Dusk, and while we don't know what Lycanroc Dusk will offer we saw the Ash-Greninja was as strong as a Mega Pokemon as well as giving its Water Shuriken a power increase. "But Ash-Greninja lost to Mega Charizard X". Yes, but note that throughout the Kalos League that MCX was sweeping whoever it was put up against, sometimes knocking out an entire team by itself. Ash-Greninja was the only Pokemon that was able to give a good fight against MCX, a Mega Pokemon who had been specifically trained to take down other Mega Pokemon. And before than we saw Diantha, the Champion, having her Mega Gardevoir knocked around against Ash-Greninja. If Ash was as experienced as Alain or Diantha then Ash-Greninja probably would be stronger than any Mega Pokemon (infact, in the games Ash-Greninja BST increases by 110, slightly more than a Mega Evolution +100 (not to mention it's Water Shuriken's power is increased and it can still hold an item)).

The new camera angle for the first few steps from the house to the stroll uphill looks nice now that we have a better look of the more vibrant lush. It'll be interesting if they adjusted it in more areas. The close camera angle with the top-down perspective can be restrictive at times in terms of having a more pleasant view while exploring.

Also, new trainer designs!

Male MC's design looks quirky. The blue-red combo in this one seems jarring. Personally, this was handled better in other MC designs (Hilbert, Calem, etc.). It may be the red ribbon on the shorts; it looked sorta out of place there. Also, what is with this shorts over tights trend???

Female MC's design is the one I really like. Looks cute, comfy, and fits well with the laid-back and tropical theme of Alola.

One place I really hope they change the camera angle is Konikoni City either side of the crossroads. There's an area is super zoomed in to the point that it's difficult to navigate because the entire screen has no landmarks.

Last edited:

S. Court

[Takes hits in Spanish]
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
Not sure if it's the place for ask (I guess it is) but any expectation about really possible Ultra S/M move tutors?

Celesteela has a lot of grass type moves in its arsenal... Could it be possible it learns Synthesis?

Just imagine the posibility, it's obnoxious enough with a semi-reliable recovery move, now imagine it with a even more consistent recovery move

Oh Neptune.jpg

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Not sure if it's the place for ask (I guess it is) but any expectation about really possible Ultra S/M move tutors?

Celesteela has a lot of grass type moves in its arsenal... Could it be possible it learns Synthesis?

Just imagine the posibility, it's obnoxious enough with a semi-reliable recovery move, now imagine it with a even more consistent recovery move

View attachment 86723
Hmm, well first let's establish some things. Any speculation will be going off that they'd be carrying over moves that were previously given out by the expanded Move Tutors (the ones who either charged Battle Points or Shards, specifically from BW2 and ORAS). Obviously, this excludes moves introduced in Gen VII since we don't know which ones will be made into Move Tutors, if any, but I guess that's another thing we can speculate about. So now with that done, let's speculate which Gen VII Pokemon may get what:

Giga Drain: Rowlet family, Cutiefly family, Comfey
Elemental Punches: Incineroar (Fire & Thunder), Crabrawler family (Fire), Lycanroc Midnight (all), Passimian (all), Golisopod (at least Ice), Hakamo-m/Kommo-o (Fire & Thunder), Tapu Koko (all), Tapu Bulu (Thunder), Alolan Geodude family (Fire & Ice)
Drain Punch: Incineroar, Crabrawler family, Lycanroc Midnight, Bewear, Passimian, Golisopod, Hakamo-m/Kommo-o, Tapu Koko, Tapu Bulu, Buzzwole, Marshadow, Alolan Grimer family
Knock Off: Litten family, Crabrawler family, Lycanroc Midnight, Mareanie family, Fomantis family, Stufful family, Steenee/Tsareena, Oranguru, Passimian, Wimpod family, Type: Null family, Komola, Mimikyu, Jangmo-o family, Tapu Koko, Tapu Bulu, Buzzwole, Pheromosa, Guzzlord, Marshadow, Alolan Ratatta family, Alolan Meowth family, Alolan Geodude family, Alolan Marowak
Super Fang: Rockruff family, Bruxish, Guzzlord
Iron Tail: Rockruff family, Mudsdale, Passimian, Type: Null family, Togedemaru, Mimikyu, Jangmo-o family, Solgaleo, Alolan Ratatta family, Alolan Exeggutor
Drill Run: Type: Null family, Tapu Bulu, Buzzwole
Iron Head: Rockruff family, Mudbray family, Passimian, Type: Null family, Minior, Komola, Togedemaru, Jangmo-o family, Tapu Bulu, Guzzlord, Alolan Geodude family
Zen Headbutt: Rockruff family, Mudbray family, Stufful family, Type: Null family, Komola, Bruxish, Jangmo-o family, Tapu Bulu, Celesteela, Alolan Diglett family, Alolan Exeggutor
Aqua Tail: Type: Null family, Guzzlord, Alolan Ratatta family
Dragon Pulse: Type: Null family, Guzzlord
Seed Bomb: Rowlet family, Pikipek family, Fomantis family, Bounsweet family, Passimian, Dhelmise, Tapu Bulu, Guzzlord
Heat Wave: Rowlet family, Pikipek family, Oricorio, Drampa, Lunala, Celesteela
Earth Power: Minior, Turtonator, Celesteela, Guzzlord, Necrozma
Outrage: Toucannon, Yungoos family, Crabrawler family, Type: Null family, Tapu Bulu, Guzzlord, Alolan Exeggutor
Superpower: Incineroar, Passimian, Golisopod, Type: Null family, Komola, Jangmo-o, Tapu Bulu, Solgaleo, Pheromosa, Guzzlord, Marshadow, Alolan Geodude family
Gunk Shot: Litten family, Mareanie family, Pyukumuku, Guzzlord, Alolan Ratatta family
Skill Swap: Oranguru, Cosmog/Cosmoem
Synthesis: Morelull family, Bounsweet family, Pyukumuku, Dhelmise, Tapu Bulu, Celesteela
Pain Split: Oranguru, Sandygast family, Type: Null family, Mimikyu, Dhelmise, Tapu Lele, Nihilego, Alolan Vulpix family, Alolan Marowak
Gastro Acid: Mareanie family, Salandit family, Nihilego, Alolan Grimer family
Worry Seed: Rowlet family, Fomantis family, Morelull family, Bounsweet family, Comfey, Oranguru, Passimian, Dhelmise, Tapu Bulu, Celesteela
Trick: Salandit family, Oranguru, Passimian, Wimpod family, Mimikyu, Tapu Lele, Tapu Fini, Alolan Ratatta family, Alolan Meowth family
Recycle: Wimpod family, Guzzlord, Magearna, Alolan Ratatta family, Alolan Grimer family
Magic Coat: Popplio family, Comfey, Oranguru, Type: Null family, Jangmo-o family, Tapu Lele, Tapu Fini, Cosmog/Cosmoem, Nihilego, Pheromosa, Necrozma, Magearna, Alolan Vulpix family, Alolan Marowak
Magnet Rise: Type: Null family, Tapu Koko, Cosmog/Cosmoem, Nihilego, Celesteela, Kartana, Magearna, Alolan Raichu
Iron Defense: Bewear, Passimian, Pyukumuku, Type: Null family, Minior, Togedemaru, Dhelmise, Tapu Bulu, Buzzwole, Guzzlord, Alolan Geodude family
Heal Bell: Litten family, Cutiefly family, Comfey, Oranguru, Tapu Fini, Cosmog, Celesteela, Magearna, Alolan Meowth family
Tailwind: Rowlet family, Vikavolt, Cutiefly family, Oranguru, Lunala
Electroweb: Dewpider family, Togedemaru, Tapu Koko, Xurkitree, Alolan Raichu

Also, let's not forget that any of these moves a Pokemon learns via an Egg Move or a pre-evolution will probably be able to learn it via a Tutor as well. Also I was probably a bit too gracious, but that's the point of speculation.

Finally, a list of Gen VII moves I can see becoming teachable via the Move Tutor (or would like to see): Laser Focus, Liquidation, Lunge, & Speed Swap.

Actually, I think much like the TM list the Move Tutor list could also do with a rehaul. Some types are under represented and there are some moves on it I think are more design/type strict thus limiting the amount of Pokemon that can learn it. You might as well just give those Pokemon the move normally (or at least the ones it makes the most sense would have it) and replace it with a move that could be more widely distributed.

Last edited:
Hmm, well first let's establish some things. Any speculation will be going off that they'd be carrying over moves that were previously given out by the expanded Move Tutors (the ones who either charged Battle Points or Shards, specifically from BW2 and ORAS). Obviously, this excludes moves introduced in Gen VII since we don't know which ones will be made into Move Tutors, if any, but I guess that's another thing we can speculate about.
Do not forget that they tend to include removed TMs into the Move Tutor list. That means moves like Power-up Punch and Retaliate may be widespread again.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Righto, if we don't get the English video sometime today or tomorrow I'm probably going to lock this up until our next dribble of news comes. At this point Gold and Silver will be released before we get anymore information about the games that are coming out 8 weeks afterwards...

Righto, if we don't get the English video sometime today or tomorrow I'm probably going to lock this up until our next dribble of news comes. At this point Gold and Silver will be released before we get anymore information about the games that are coming out 8 weeks afterwards...
Now that you say it, it's really odd that we have yet to get a video.

Fine, we got the overseas reveal, but that's more often than not coming alongside a video... and sometimes the video came out first.

Looking forward to US/UM. Definitely getting UM on release and then US at a later point.

The new battle theme sounds pretty good too.

Then Lycanroc Dusk. I'm really happy about one of my top favorite Alola Pokemon getting a new form... but I don't like how it is event exclusive. Feels really weird. They are advertising it as a new form for the games, yet you can only get it through an event for a limited time (Has it been confirmed to be this way outside of Japan? Either way, I guess the same will be true for the whole world). Design-wise, I think it's quite cool. Wasn't very thrilled about it at first but it has grown on me. Lycanroc-Midday is one of my all-time favorite Pokemon ever in terms of design and everything else, I'm not sure if the Dusk form will be able to top it but we'll see. Though it doesn't really have to, you can still be awesome even if you aren't the best. I'm also hoping it gets some more moves to abuse with Tough Claws. Also, I feel like I'm one of the few who actually really likes Lycanroc after seeing some negative posts about it in this thread and some others. Maybe that's not how it really is, but that's what it felt like. Maybe I should have read the posts more carefully but whatever.

Apart from this, I don't have a lot to say about the new games... because we still don't know anything about them. Slightly more than three months before the release and I still wonder what kind of games they are going to be. I had planned to not look into that much pre-release info about them since I spoiled myself way too much for S/M, but right now I just want some more information. I don't know what they will be like. One part of me is hoping that they will be as expansive and content-packed as B2/W2... while another part of me is worried that they will be as bad as Yellow in terms of follow-up games. I really don't know what to think right now. Hopefully later.

Sorry if this post is messy and unorganized, just wanted to post my thoughts here before the thread eventually gets locked.

Last edited:
Anyone else not surprised that this month's CoroCoro revealed very little new information?

Going off Codraroll's post in the last thread comparing the prerelease periods of B2W2 and USUM, here's a month-by-month comparison of what each CoroCoro revealed:

B2W2:
  • January 2012: Talks about Pokemon Conquest only
  • February 2012: Reveals Keldeo's Sugimori art for the first time
  • March 2012: Reveals box arts of B2W2, Keldeo event distribution details, and a vague hint that Keldeo "unlocks something" in B2W2
  • April 2012: Reveals first screenshots of B2W2, new trainers & rival, the fact that B2W2 is set two years after BW, a hint at frozen Unova, info about new regional dex, starting town, 2 new Gym Leaders, Colress, Marine Tube, Kyurem Formes' signature moves, and Meloetta. The first "real" info dump.
  • May 2012: Reveals Cheren being a Gym Leader, Bianca giving you your starter, the kami trio's new Formes, Mecha Tyranitar and Pokestar Studios, the PWT, and Meloetta event distribution details.
  • June 2012: Reveals Keldeo's Resolute Forme, Kyurem Formes' abilities, some version exclusives. Last prerelease issue.

USUM:
  • June 2017: Reveals Marshadow's Z-Move, Ho-Oh distribution, and the new Cap Pikachu exclusive to USUM
  • July 2017: Reveals full details on Ho-Oh distribution
  • August 2017: Reveals Dusk Form Lycanroc
  • September 2017: ?
  • October 2017: ?
  • November 2017: ?. Last prerelease issue.

So comparing mid-August 2017 with mid-March 2012, both three months before release, we actually know more about USUM now than we knew about B2W2 then. Now we know about new Solgaleo/Necrozma and Lunala/Necrozma Formes, Cap Pikachu (technically a new form), and Dusk Form Lycanroc, which is four new forms. Then, all we knew about were Kyurem-B and Kyurem-W. In both cases, our first "real" info dump came 2 months before release, not 3.

Edit: Got a counterargument though. B2W2's prerelease period lasted about four months, while USUM's prerelease period will last about five and a half months. So there is a bigger gap between first reveal and first info dump (1.5 months and 1 filler CoroCoro issue vs projected 3.5 months and 3 filler CoroCoro issues), which explains the frustration about slow reveals.

Last edited:
Tbqh, I kinda like the idea of not knowing much. It reminds me of when I played White, that I was without info about Pokémon and played blindly.

Out of curiosity, how has Corocoro treated third versions in the past? Admittedly, it's likely the only precedent here is Platinum; but I'd be interested in seeing if they didn't release much information about the region-return games.

The more time goes on without any substantial information the more I get worried that this essentially is just a glorified third version rather than a BW2.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The more time goes on without any substantial information the more I get worried that this essentially is just a glorified third version rather than a BW2.
You are probably not alone. Right now, all I'm seeing that sets these games apart from SM is an event-exclusive Lycanroc form. That's not enough to convince me to buy them. I know (well, hope) there will be more features coming in the future, but the average kid who's wondering which game to save up for might not think that highly about USUM right now. I don't think the sales argument of "It's exactly like SM, but with an orange wolf!" will gain them many customers.

Out of curiosity, how has Corocoro treated third versions in the past? Admittedly, it's likely the only precedent here is Platinum; but I'd be interested in seeing if they didn't release much information about the region-return games.
Gotcha covered! The six issues prior to release:
  • March 2008: Nothing.
  • April 2008: First vague hint of Platinum's existence. CoroCoro lists the release years of RB, Y, GS, C, RS, E, DP, and then some sort of question mark after DP with a release year of 2008. (Note that FRLG is deliberately excluded from the list.)
  • May 2008: Platinum revealed by name. Also reveals Giratina's Origin Forme and two screenshots: Lucas battling Lv47 Giratina-O in the Distortion World, and Giratina's shadow appearing in front of Cyrus at the Spear Pillar with Dialga and Palkia both in the background. Tangentially, reveals that Lucas is wearing a new outfit. Does not reveal any part of the Distortion World or its name (in the screenshot you can see the rust-colored battle platform beneath Lucas and the fact that there is no platform under Giratina-O, but the screenshot says "Wild Giratina appeared!" instead of "The Distortion World's Giratina appeared!").
  • June 2008: Reveals Shaymin-S and their type as Grass/Flying. Reveals that the 3 Regis are obtainable in Platinum with the Movie Regigigas (includes screenshots of their rooms). Reveals screenshot from the intro video showing Charon and Looker (without revealing their names or anything else about them). Reveals first screenshot of the Distortion World featuring the player character walking sideways on a wall, and reveals the Distortion World by name. Reveals new artwork of Lucas, Dawn, and Barry displaying their new outfits.
  • July 2008: Reveals Battle Frontier, Wi-Fi Plaza, Vs. Recorder, and Global Terminal. Contains a note that Giratina only takes on Origin Forme inside the Distortion World and takes on Altered Forme elsewhere, which must have annoyed readers since the Griseous Orb hasn't been revealed yet. Confirms Shaymin-S's ability as Serene Grace and that they get Air Slash. Confirms Giratina-O's ability as Levitate. New sprites of Bidoof, Giratina-A, and Shaymin-L. Reveals that one of the two mystery characters from last issue is a member of Team Galactic and the other character is a member of Interpol hunting Team Galactic.
  • August 2008: Reveals new designs of Eterna Gym and Veilstone Gym. Reveals that Shaymin-S learns Leaf Storm. Reveals that early in the game, the player meets Prof. Rowan at Route 201 instead of at Lake Verity. Reveals Looker's name (er, codename). Contains a misdirection hint asking if Looker is actually working for Team Galactic. Reveals that one of the Battle Frontier facilities is the Battle Factory. Reveals silhouettes of the 5 new Rotom forms, but ambiguous as to whether all 5 silhouettes are forms of a single Pokemon or multiple different Pokemon. Last prerelease issue.
Right now, all I'm seeing that sets these games apart from SM is an event-exclusive Lycanroc form.
and Solgaleo/Necrozma, Lunala/Necrozma, and new Cap Pikachu. Is that enough?

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Gotcha covered! The six issues prior to release:
  • March 2008: Nothing.
  • April 2008: First vague hint of Platinum's existence. CoroCoro lists the release years of RB, Y, GS, C, RS, E, DP, and then some sort of question mark after DP with a release year of 2008. (Note that FRLG is deliberately excluded from the list.)
  • May 2008: Platinum revealed by name. Also reveals Giratina's Origin Forme and two screenshots: Lucas battling Lv47 Giratina-O in the Distortion World, and Giratina's shadow appearing in front of Cyrus at the Spear Pillar with Dialga and Palkia both in the background. Tangentially, reveals that Lucas is wearing a new outfit. Does not reveal any part of the Distortion World or its name (in the screenshot you can see the rust-colored battle platform beneath Lucas and the fact that there is no platform under Giratina-O, but the screenshot says "Wild Giratina appeared!" instead of "The Distortion World's Giratina appeared!").
  • June 2008: Reveals Shaymin-S and their type as Grass/Flying. Reveals that the 3 Regis are obtainable in Platinum with the Movie Regigigas (includes screenshots of their rooms). Reveals screenshot from the intro video showing Charon and Looker (without revealing their names or anything else about them). Reveals first screenshot of the Distortion World featuring the player character walking sideways on a wall, and reveals the Distortion World by name. Reveals new artwork of Lucas, Dawn, and Barry displaying their new outfits.
  • July 2008: Reveals Battle Frontier, Wi-Fi Plaza, Vs. Recorder, and Global Terminal. Contains a note that Giratina only takes on Origin Forme inside the Distortion World and takes on Altered Forme elsewhere, which must have annoyed readers since the Griseous Orb hasn't been revealed yet. Confirms Shaymin-S's ability as Serene Grace and that they get Air Slash. Confirms Giratina-O's ability as Levitate. New sprites of Bidoof, Giratina-A, and Shaymin-L. Reveals that one of the two mystery characters from last issue is a member of Team Galactic and the other character is a member of Interpol hunting Team Galactic.
  • August 2008: Reveals new designs of Eterna Gym and Veilstone Gym. Reveals that Shaymin-S learns Leaf Storm. Reveals that early in the game, the player meets Prof. Rowan at Route 201 instead of at Lake Verity. Reveals Looker's name (er, codename). Contains a misdirection hint asking if Looker is actually working for Team Galatic. Reveals that one of the Battle Frontier facilities is the Battle Factory. Reveals silhouettes of the 5 new Rotom forms, but ambiguous as to whether all 5 silhouettes are forms of a single Pokemon or multiple different Pokemon. Last prerelease issue.
and Solgaleo/Necrozma, Lunala/Necrozma, and new Cap Pikachu. Is that enough?
So in other words very little info. Course, this is because Platinum is a "true" third version, it's essentially the same game as DP except with additional features and adjustments to the story. Thus there was no need to go into much detail about anything else except the new stuff.

I think there's another game's CoroCoro release news we need to see & compare with: Black 2 & White 2. They're the first "third version" to break the mold by being a sequel thus it may have told more new info than the usual third version got.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)