Programming Smogon Team Assistant

Hey everyone,

I'm in the progress of developing a Team Builder, which assists you with Smogon stats to build teams, that statistically fit together.
It is not yet finished, but you can already get a stat overview and see, what's going on in the development.

Up next in my implementation list is making your team selection. You can already choose the Pokemon for your team in the Team Builder module, but moves, nature, item and EVs will follow soon.
There will be an import/export function from/to ShowDown as well.
A functionality for filling up your team with statistically well fitting Pokemon is also coming.

I wanted to publish this early, so that I can gather input from you while I'm still in the early phase.

You can find the source code here: https://github.com/DigitalFlow/Smogon-Team-Assistant
and the page itself here: https://digitalflow.github.io/Smogon-Team-Assistant/

Only tested in Chrome and Firefox so far.

I'd love to get some feedback, critic and feature wishes from you.

Kind Regards,
Florian

Last edited:

Ignus

Copying deli meat to hard drive
Hey friend! I really enjoy the idea! Always great to see more teambuilding stat tools getting made. Here's a quick chunk of feedback that you can take if you feel the changes are necessary :)

First, a quick note on the mixed content warnings you're getting since you're using the sprites from smogon (which is HTTP and not HTTPS). I'd suggest using the sprites from pokemonshowdown.com instead which can be found here: https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/
Someone who's better versed with security can probably explain better why mixed content is a bad thing better than I could. At the very least, it helps unclutter the console!

Second, in my opinion, the border of the landing page probably needs a bit of padding - I'm not sure if it's just an error for me, but this is what it looks like on my screen:

The edges of the words being located at the edge of the screen makes it a bit difficult to read. On apple computers, text that goes all the way across the screen and wraps will overlap with the scroll bar:

If there's any HTML wizards paying attention to this thread (especially those familiar with bootstrap) they would probably be able to give better suggestions than me about formatting.

Let me know if you need any more info from me to help with the fixes or if you want me to work up a portion of the code. My human job is pretty similar to working on a project like this, so I'd be happy to help!

Hey there,

Thanks for your feedback :)
My real job is also developer, however it is not that much focused on design and styling.

I'm aware that the layout needs some serious work and it will certainly be done. I just wanted it to function as I want first and do the massive styling afterwards :)

Thanks a lot for the hint of getting the images from Showdown. I was aware of the mixed content issues, however did not yet know a different data source :)

EDIT: Just edited the site, images are now retrieved from ShowDown, mixed content issues are gone.

Kind Regards,
Florian

Last edited:
If you want to avoid scroll bars overlapping content, or moving around content by appearing and disappearing, you can reserve some space for them to appear in:
Code:
body {
   width:  calc(100vw - 34px);
}
(or reserve the same space on both sides, so that your page layout stays symmetrical)
Code:
body {
   width:  calc(100vw - 68px);
   margin-left: 34px;
}

Hey OrdA,

Thanks for your help.

For the time being, I added the front page into a well, which also gives it some spacing.

But I'll definitely consider your comment when doing the css.

For all: I just published a new version, team building and exporting is now possible, I might add a button for copying to clipboard anytime soon.

Kind Regards,
Florian

Hey everyone,

I just published an update.

Proposal of team members has now two more strategies:

- By counter: Pokemon that can stop threats of your team.
- Balanced: Mixture of By Counter and By Teammate.

I hope it helps you building teams, I'm already using it a lot and would never have thought, that Hawlucha was that good in combination with Tapu-Koko.

Kind Regards,
Florian

Hey everyone,

Is anyone still using the site?
I'm thinking of turning it into an Android App using react native, anyone interested in this?

Kind Regards,
Florian

Hey,
I'm having fun testing those teams, thanks for your work! It would be great to have an android app for it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)