CAP 23 CAP 23 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
WIP

So close to the final submission - now all I need is the supporting artwork, which I should hopefully be able to finish over the weekend!

Decided to go with Garbagery and darmico's suggestions and made the colors more muted, though I still worry that the color scheme might still be too bright for a Ghost-type. There's always the option of fiddling around with the saturation on Photoshop if the colors need to be changed, but as it stands I think I like this design enough to consider it pretty much complete! :D

Flat colors here!
how about something more like

I mean obviosly more saturated cus i think i desaturated way too much.

WIP
So close to the final submission - now all I need is the supporting artwork, which I should hopefully be able to finish over the weekend!

Decided to go with Garbagery and darmico's suggestions and made the colors more muted, though I still worry that the color scheme might still be too bright for a Ghost-type. There's always the option of fiddling around with the saturation on Photoshop if the colors need to be changed, but as it stands I think I like this design enough to consider it pretty much complete! :D

Flat colors here!
I think you should choose a different color palette. The one you chose doesn't really scream Ghost type, seems more like a Normal/Dragon to me. Maybe try using purples, blues, blacks etc.? (colors commonly seen in ghost-types). The design itself looks good though, I really like it.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've been having too much fun doodling my noodly tapeworm. Here are a few sketches of it, depicting it trapping Tomohawk, flying (hey, if Dragonite can...), and KOed. Click for full size!

QxC4eva also made a request for me to color in the sketch I made of my design cuddling with a Pluffle, so here is that as a bonus! Again, click for full size.

Falchion: I'd tone down the colors a lot. I had to convince myself that the colors you put up first were the colors you were going so submit, since they look like the colors I use to index my drawings. ._.; Even for Pokemon, designs don't tend to use pure R/G/B hues.

I got to everyone else I wanted to give feedback on on Discord. ^_^

Last edited:
how about something more like

I mean obviosly more saturated cus i think i desaturated way too much.

I LOVE the direction this is going in! I was skeptical about your design at first, but the concept is awesome, and this new color scheme is amazing.

My concern now is that you stuffed dragon mon has a torso that's a little hard for my eye to follow. I'm not sure what I'm looking at, especially in the lower right part of the design with the second feet and tail part.

Idk how you could fix it, but that's the only thing to me that's holding it back from being the top design.

Well done!

Edit: sorry Falchion, I don't know how to tag. But this was meant for you.

Last edited:
heres an updated version of the sleepy dragon:

thanks to everyone on discord who gave feedback! I'm still a bit tentative on colors, so here are a few alternative palettes: https://i.imgur.com/4f862N7.png?1
I like this one much better! The little dragon's body being integrated into the torso of the big one is pretty creative. Of the color palettes, I like the purple one the best, since it has the greatest Ghost-type vibe and the purple fits with the Dragon-type as well since it's a color often associated with power.

Also, at long last, here's some support art for Dragon Rug, with some alternate views to clarify his design and a few (un)lucky guest stars for good measure:
https://i.imgur.com/4ihW5t2.png
And a new version of the main pic with more muted, faded colors, based on a few new suggestions, and a slightly longer neck (it's a bit hard to see, but the underside is peeking out just below the left "jawbone"). I think I'm happy with this draft now and hopefully if nobody else has any more suggestions I'll be using it for the final submission!
https://i.imgur.com/xfYcVjX.png

Last edited:

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
I feel as if the red underbelly is both distracting and makes 0 sense on a carpet. Perhaps a tan to mute it and make the design more cohesive?

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist

Following an idea from the great QxC4eva , I've made the dreaming dragon huddle behind it dream projection while it sleeps, not only unifying both designs, but also making way for the great pun of the dragon following its dreams. Other changes from the last sketch are also the added shoulder and hat wisps on the dream dragon.
I'm close to calling this the final sketch and starting the final submission already, so get your criticism out while you still can ;^J

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
I probably like this one the best. Can you make the purple a bit more saturated, as well as change the tan to a gray or something? Feel like that'll help tie it all in. Everything else looks great though!
Perhaps a beige would be best? Most rugs have a beige-ish underside

WIP

My idea so far is of a spirit of a fabled member of a dragon type species that was overhunted to extinction, something ancient enough that it served as a common ancestor or missing link for Dragonite, Charizard, some of the fossil pokemon and a few others. This is an especially rough WIP, since he's supposed to have 4 limbs or so before I even attempt polishing this up, but I wanted to put the idea here as soon as I could. Sorry I was so late to this CAP, I don't have time to post any feedback just yet, but everyone's designs are looking incredible!

Last edited:

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
So uh, I was sorta convinced by my colleague to go with a black/very dark purple + red scheme for the qilin's fur, but when I was applying the red highlights I accidentally inverted the colors and... yeah long story short this color scheme got me sold.

(click image for higher resolution because for some reason the quality gets botched hard when I resize it)
This scheme originally had yellow/gold horns, whiskers, and claws in it. However it gave an electric-type vibe which made me go for an off-white + gray scheme instead. I'm still open for scheme suggestions though!

Falchion yeah I sorta forgot to explain how it performs spirit shackle on my precious post. It basically launches the big protruding scales on its spectral mane as a projectile:

Also another supporting art depicting qilin's relative size:

WIP

It's been a while since an update! Revamped my hydra guy so comatose is fitting, and so it's more cohesive/fitting towards the theme. Probably gonna play around with it some more cuz I'm never satisfied lol but anyway:

Also I do hope to give feedback on all these great designs at some point, but I haven't had a lot of time!

My favorites so far:
DarkLatias92 just designwise and i love the reference to the old school cubone statues
Durengardnit it was the first one in the list to really capture the trapping theme. also the design works with comatose
HatfulofBomb my favorite design. the rib"cage" or "RIP"cage is so full of puns and it looks nice
Quanyails
Sunfished
Zephias those three are great looking while also representing the trapping theme well

WIP

It's been a while since an update! Revamped my hydra guy so comatose is fitting, and so it's more cohesive/fitting towards the theme. Probably gonna play around with it some more cuz I'm never satisfied lol but anyway:

Also I do hope to give feedback on all these great designs at some point, but I haven't had a lot of time!
This is a SUPER cool idea, but you know what it reminds me of? Crucibelle.

Maybe if you used a different color scheme other than purple? To me, it has a real poison/rock type vibe to it currently. And is there a way to put the sleepy dragon head tail in the front? Maybe as a part of the jar thing? Cool idea, and with some tweaking, I think it would really stand a chance.

Final Submission

I had multiple concepts in mind for this CAP, ranging from a Therizinosaurus with a Grim Reaper motif to a wyrm-like giant olm, but the one that both proved the most popular and made the most sense with respect to the concept was based on the Shiro-Uneri, a yokai that's essentially a dishrag which forms into the shape of a dragon. Design elements I incorporated starting from the original sketch design included shed dragon skins, like those left by molting snakes, and fake taxidermy, with multiple bits of animal hide stitched together - animal-skin rugs were the first thing that came to mind. The latter ties into the concept of a Pokemon that uses trapping moves as well, since taxidermy is mainly defined by trapping and skinning animals, so it would be morbidly ironic for this CAPmon to be a dragon skin that's turned the tables on its would-be captors. Since the Shiro-Uneri, being a yokai, is a supernatural being, and since it takes on the shape of a dragon, Ghost/Dragon is the perfect type combination for it. Additionally, the taxidermy-ish nature of this design lends well to the fact that it's either a reanimated dragon skin or sewn from the skins of dead dragons (dragon hide is a frequent clothing article in fantasy media).

While working and reworking the design, I then included elements from multiple different mythological dragons. The long serpentine body, whiskers, ears, and fur tufts are based on an Asian dragon, since the Shiro-Uneri is Japanese in nature, but the presence of wings, while seemingly derived from European dragons, actually does have precedence in Asian ones as well. There is a variety of winged Chinese dragon called Yinglong, which is symbolic of rain; this dragon is usually depicted with four wings, like CAPmon has. Chinese dragons have a mishmash of various animal features such as the claws of an eagle and the toe beans soles of a tiger, which also fits the mix-and-match taxidermy aspect that CAPmon conveys.

On the other hand, the golden fleece tufts on the back and tail, the sheep-like snout and drooping ears, and the curling horns on the head refer to both counting sheep (because of the Comatose ability) and the Golden Fleece, which in Classical mythology was guarded by a dragon. Some interpretations of this myth show the dragon as being unable to sleep, and I thought it would be hilariously ironic for CAPmon, upon taking inspiration from this myth, to be always asleep, and still kick serious tail anyway. Besides, dragons do sleep on top of or around things they protect in many European myths, and also tend to be quite serpentine in shape like CAPmon is.

The Shiro-Uneri, once reanimated, flies through the air and chases people, and wraps its dirty body around the necks and heads of anyone it catches until they faint from the stench. Since the concept of this CAP relies on trapping moves, I can see this thing wrapping itself around its opponent and squeezing the life out of it, rather like a ghostly python or a draconic Lethifold. Furthermore, the Japanese name of Spirit Shackle translates into "Shadow Stitching", which meshed quite well with the sewn-together nature of this design, so in order to use this move, the CAPmon projects ghostly threads from its seams to bind its opponent's shadow to the ground. Since Spirit Shackle also inflicts damage, this implementation also gives me the horrific mental image of CAPmon using its shadow threads like multiple razor-wire garrotes. Anchor Shot, which uses chains, would likely be implemented in the same way, though to distinguish it from Spirit Shackle I imagine CAPmon using this move via constricting its victim with its long body and then throwing extra bondage around them both by conjuring ghostly chains from its threads, locking the prey firmly in place.

The Dragon Rug design was originally one of two options for which I could've gone equal way - if Tough Claws had become the competitive ability I'd have used the Reaper Dino instead. However, Comatose winning pretty much cemented the decision to use Dragon Rug, which I don't regret due to this design making a lot of sense for that ability. As noted above, it would be ironic if a Pokemon design based on the dragon that guarded the Golden Fleece, which in some myths was stated to never sleep, was constantly asleep, and still performed admirably in battle. More to the original inspiration, this design invokes an animal-skin rug in form, but with its soft curves and woolen embellishments, it could easily connote a fur blanket or comforter as well, and blankets being associated with sleep lent well to Comatose as an ability. I gave it constantly closed eyes and front limbs posed like a sleepwalker (sleep-floater?) to highlight how it's always sleeping, and probably wouldn't truly wake up even if it were violently attacked.

Alternate views + Attacks:
https://i.imgur.com/4ihW5t2.png

Proposed height chart:
https://i.imgur.com/O6fQrqq.png

Thanks to everyone who provided suggestions and feedback for the design process of this guy. You're all awesome, and best of luck to all the entrants! :)

Last edited:
I gave up but turns out im not good at that so i came up with another concept.

Well i love lovecraftian monsters, so i figured if the monster with a billion eyes shoggoth didnt work with comatose, what about he who lays sleeping in r'lyeh?
Meet the Cthulian Illithid, a pokemon born of the dreams of a extraplanar being whos entire existance is limited by its sleep. This however doesnt stop it from interacting with this universe.

and some supporting art to show it with its wings in full glory, the wings are supposed to invoke the dragon aspect.
https://i.imgur.com/uVbZxS8.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)