Pokémon GO

I've hoarded 400+ Rare Candies to fully power up legendaries. My question is: What will be the best legendaries per type, also taking Gen 4, 5, 6 and 7 into account? For instance, will Raikou forever be the best Electric-type Pokémon or will upcoming generations have a better equivalent? I don't want to spend my Rare Candies on something that will be outclassed eventually. My thoughts:

Bug: Genesect / Buzzwhole / Pheromosa?
Dark: Darkrai?
Dragon: Rayquaza?
Electric: Raikou? (or the newest Zoraora?)
Fairy: Diancie
Fighting: Buzzwhole / Pheromosa
Fire: Entei / Moltres / Ho-Oh?
Flying: Rayquaza?
Ghost: Hoopa?
Grass: Virizion / Tapu Bulu?
Ground: Groudon
Ice: Kyurem / Regice
Normal: Arceus?
Poison: Naganadel
Psychic: Hoopa?
Rock: Terrakion / Nihilego / Stakataka
Steel: Solgaleo?
Water: Kyogre

Anyone got some definitive conclusions on this? Really need help deciding what legendaries/mythicals I should spend my Rare Candies on. No, I don't want to spend them on non-legendary Pokémon.

Last edited:
And if the best of a Type is years and generations away, don’t you need something in the meantime?
To be honest, no. I personally enjoy that way of playing. I don't want to spend my Rare Candies on something that will be outclassed eventually. Even if it'd take 20 years before it's going to be outclassed.

So, based on the list of my guesses, what do you think? Any better candidates for certain types? Or are some completely misplaced?

I knew it was 95% due to the city map showing IV's.

Rare candies are for legendaries. regardless of how good, or bad they are, because Rhyperior for example, will outclass a load of them, but you wouldn't invest.

To be honest, no. I personally enjoy that way of playing. I don't want to spend my Rare Candies on something that will be outclassed eventually. Even if it'd take 20 years before it's going to be outclassed.

So, based on the list of my guesses, what do you think? Any better candidates for certain types? Or are some completely misplaced?
Considering the current unpredictability of EX Raid, you may want to also consider having... lower tier plans. Rayquaza is undeniably best Dragon to be available now (unless they somehow someday managed Ultra Necrozma w) but I'm not even sure if I'll ever get the invite, so I'd treat cover legendaries and the likes separately and consider lesser legendaries like Latios for Dragon.

Also, for raiding purpose, Xurkitree could be insane Elec attacker, although also glass unlike all rounder Raikou. I'm not even sure if Kartana could be usable on its types with that paper thin bulk to consider even using, it's probably like being Gengar in front of Mewtwo everywhere.

The rare candies are such burden to keep on limited bag space if hoarded though....

The rare candies are such burden to keep on limited bag space if hoarded though....
Exactly, that's why I'm now trying to decide what to spend them on.

Anyone, any remarks on my list? I'm trying to get straight which will be the best legendary per type, so I can decide what to spend those candies on...

I've hoarded 400+ Rare Candies to fully power up legendaries. My question is: What will be the best legendaries per type, also taking Gen 4, 5, 6 and 7 into account? For instance, will Raikou forever be the best Electric-type Pokémon or will upcoming generations have a better equivalent? I don't want to spend my Rare Candies on something that will be outclassed eventually. My thoughts:

Bug: Genesect / Buzzwhole / Pheromosa?
Dark: Darkrai?
Dragon: Rayquaza?
Electric: Raikou? (or the newest Zoraora?)
Fairy: Diancie
Fighting: Buzzwhole / Pheromosa
Fire: Entei / Moltres / Ho-Oh?
Flying: Rayquaza?
Ghost: Hoopa?
Grass: Virizion / Tapu Bulu?
Ground: Groudon
Ice: Kyurem / Regice
Normal: Arceus?
Poison: Naganadel
Psychic: Hoopa?
Rock: Terrakion / Nihilego / Stakataka
Steel: Solgaleo?
Water: Kyogre

Anyone got some definitive conclusions on this? Really need help deciding what legendaries/mythicals I should spend my Rare Candies on. No, I don't want to spend them on non-legendary Pokémon.
Dude, electric and fire will get Reshiram and Zekrom

https://pokemongolive.com/en/post/legendary-groudon

5* raids taking no breaks it would appear. Groudon's showing up for the next month as of now in NA, likely to appear in Europe by tomorrow.

Moves are
Quick: Dragon Tail/Mud Shot
Charge: Fire Blast/Earthquake/Solarbeam

All three chargew moves are boosted by compatible weather, and this things stats are all around the same/higher than Ho-oh's, so account for that numberwise. Recommend Ho-oh, Moltres, and Dragonite as your ideal raid counters from the look of things initially.

Niantic going HAM these days. They're not even letting us rest for a few days, haha. Can't complain, we're kind of getting spoiled. Going to do at least one Groudon every day. Hopefully I'll net myself a 100% one.

Good graceful Arceus, not even a break.

Already did two before I took time for assignments. Both aren't so good, but I suppose it's good to have them in my Dex. Also, scrap ones can someday be sent to Pokebank... someday....

So I finally got a Charge TM to swap my perfect Exeggutor to Solarbeam. Now the thing I'm debating is how to power him up. He's a 3 km walk for candy as a buddy, and Exeggute is a relatively rare encounter. I have a stock of 95 Rare candies, legitimately debating using some to get him leveled up for Groudon and the likely-to-follow Kyogre raids.

So I finally got a Charge TM to swap my perfect Exeggutor to Solarbeam. Now the thing I'm debating is how to power him up. He's a 3 km walk for candy as a buddy, and Exeggute is a relatively rare encounter. I have a stock of 95 Rare candies, legitimately debating using some to get him leveled up for Groudon and the likely-to-follow Kyogre raids.
Much better to just make him buddy. Rare Candies are best for legendaries where one candy is worth 20km walk, unlike ever other species.
Here I actually don't know who to buddy up that I choose Togetic anyway on basis that Togekiss can be one of best Fairy attacker in future.

I swear this game annoys me sometimes, I rmeote feed gyms for gold badgesm 1 week ago I was only allowed 10 berries, on anything and everything.. now I just fed an entire gym 10 times per poke.. people have been able to do this for ages apparently, now all I need is the guy earning gold badges on my nearby gyms, to get on with it so I can refil my stocks and grab a few extra gyms I can pump with berries.

Man, I hate this game sometimes. I spent a good 7 minutes walking around a Groudon raid even though I was literally right where the photo of the gym was. Naturally I couldn't catch that one, so I tried again today. It's below 80% and has Dragon Tail and Fire Blast, RIP.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
7/13 Groudon, I've flubbed maybe ~7 non-Excellents and went 36 curve Excellents without one. This thing is ruthless to me lol.

I also got my first Ex Raid Pass for Christmas. Unfortunately I fear Niantic will just cancel it given the mass amount of complaints.

7/13 Groudon, I've flubbed maybe ~7 non-Excellents and went 36 curve Excellents without one. This thing is ruthless to me lol.

I also got my first Ex Raid Pass for Christmas. Unfortunately I fear Niantic will just cancel it given the mass amount of complaints.
If they cared about complaints we wouldn't still have the EX Raids as they are.

The thing that throws me off about Groudon is that he's so far from the camera after dealing with Ho-oh basically breathing on the screen. I did manage to catch 2 yesterday, and one was perfect for Level 20, so I've got my next investment target (Mud Shot and Solarbeam). Hopefully helps for Ttar raids when I can find some of those.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
If they cared about complaints we wouldn't still have the EX Raids as they are.

The thing that throws me off about Groudon is that he's so far from the camera after dealing with Ho-oh basically breathing on the screen. I did manage to catch 2 yesterday, and one was perfect for Level 20, so I've got my next investment target (Mud Shot and Solarbeam). Hopefully helps for Ttar raids when I can find some of those.
You're right lol. I'm just paranoid about losing my first ever after half a year of waiting.

I love the fact that Groudon is so far. It is much easier to Excellent than Ho-Oh (who takes some getting used to) in my experience.

Definitely stick with Mud Shot / Solar Beam for this month - it makes a good counter to itself and Tyranitar in 1 package and that's pretty nice. When Groudon (as a boss) goes away, consider getting Earthquake for -overall- utility. It really wants Precipice Blades though, broken ass move...

Sidebar: 98% Groudon right now, caught and I maxed it. A little bit over 50% of a catch rate rewarded me with IV luck! Pretty excited about that.

Why didn't you just wait till the end of the event? Maybe you'll encounter several 100% Groudon :/
I did the same with Raikou. Thing is, what is the difference in one point of an IV? They say difference in perfect and 0% is just 10% of a stat. That makes 1 point loss just what, 10%*1/15? Even less than 1%, virtually it doesn't matter. Unless the point loss is in Attack where we play with breakpoints dependent in levels.

One other thing, what is Absol best at? Is he best as a dark attacker as expected, or does he do better with some weird moveset?

I did the same with Raikou. Thing is, what is the difference in one point of an IV? They say difference in perfect and 0% is just 10% of a stat. That makes 1 point loss just what, 10%*1/15? Even less than 1%, virtually it doesn't matter. Unless the point loss is in Attack where we play with breakpoints dependent in levels.
That's definitely true, but why not just wait a bit? I mean, perhaps you can later get something better. Without the cost of anything. Unless you know you're not going to do Groudon raids anymore ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)