Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v4 [Volcarona Banned]

With the ladder absolutely inundated with Pelliper, Arch and Basc on a huge amount of teams right now, I've fallen in love with this guy:

Gastrodon-East @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Recover
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

He offers so much role compression in the current format, a solid counter to the core, hazard setting, longevity and his usefulness extends beyond rain as a decent special wall who also can check raging bolt, checks walking wake in sun

With the ladder absolutely inundated with Pelliper, Arch and Basc on a huge amount of teams right now, I've fallen in love with this guy:

Gastrodon-East @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Recover
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

He offers so much role compression in the current format, a solid counter to the core, hazard setting, longevity and his usefulness extends beyond rain as a decent special wall who also can check raging bolt, checks walking wake in sun
I wish it kept scald cause I would put it on every team if that was the case. It's sad that it was heavily nerfed but its great that it still has a niche.

Hello everyone im just dropping by to say that "if only that mon gets a move that breaks it, its the mon itself thats broken, not the move" has gotta be the faultiest statement ive ever seen, stored power breaks some mons, but we ban the mons instead like espathra, in the discussion of archaludon, it is obvious and as clear as day its not the problem at hand, electro shot, and rain are the roots of the problem, its like cutting branches off a tree and leaving the roots, to get rid of the tree that will grow back anyway, what is an ideal meta? Youll never arrive at it with tera theres always gonna be a top dog dominating, and thats completely fine , this is why im pro tera because nothing remains at the top for very long, but banning rage fist and keeping annihilape, banning jet punch and keeping palafin, banning electro shot and keeping archaludon doesnt impact the tier because those mons r the only ones who get the moves.

if the idea is to have a diverse meta, why not seize opportunities to keep pokemon by banning signature moves if those sigs break those pokemon, rain will never fall off, cuz post archaludon we have raging bolt and we have people who actually think its a problem, which is ridiculous, without the flip turn, the rain setter and the treads lead, without electro shot, archaludon is nothing but a nice check to meta threats like gambit and roaring moon, itll never be too overpowered once its factors get removed, i think the extender rocks should get the suspect here, helps with the sun threats and the rain threats, all the extender items, light clay etc, if you can ban sleep and make up an excuse saying "its closer to the cartridge" we can ban the rocks and say "its closer to a balanced and diverse metagame"

You can be against this stance i dont care, fight me, counterplay isnt just hard counters, thats absolutely ridiculous, soft checks, offensive checks, AGGRESSIVE checks, are all considered counterplay in my books, defensive or offensive, its still counterplay, should explain my list, u know what positioning is in a game, its crucial to position momentum to win a game. My definition of counterplay: be able to kill, force tera to revenge, cripple a pokemon with a status, weaken to low range, ability to switch in more than once, ability to switch in once, and ability to kill in 1 hit, all happen to be counterplay in my books, so dont come at my list of archaludon checks, this is my definition of counterplay, everybody has their own, and u cant change mine.

We need to learn to start assessing the roots of the problems at hand instead of outright assessing the pokemon all the time, we have a survey every 2 weeks , we have a small vocal minority on smogon supporting this, and the vast majority who play showdown, and non vocal playerbase on smogon that have stayed silent and let the circle jerk run the tier, its the most ridiculous thing i have ever seen , you lose to something too much in spl, everyone pays for it just cuz you cant adapt, not only am i coming at the policy (oh and dw ill consider putting it in policy review thread but im addressing more than just that in this post) , im coming at the premise that spl winrates determine what should be banned or not when ladder winrates should be calculated aswell, by that logic we should ban barraskewda, so im calling for a suspect on the extender weather rocks, and possibly light clay, but the only way we get it is if the public gets behind it, the majority of you are smart individuals , the circle jerk is very small in the suspect thread consists of only like 30 salty users, but here we are smart enough to realise that rain is the issue at hand if we keep banning rain abusers we end up with a less diverse metagame so this is what i propose:

Make a poll, with these questions( DO NOT ATTEMPT TO ARGUE MY PROPOSITION WITHOUT MAKING THE POLL AND DISPROVING IT THAT WAY WITH PUBLIC INPUT FIRST, WE ARE DEMOCRATIC):
Would you be opposed to suspecting electro shot or damp rock over archaludon?
Would you just like to ban Archaludon blindly without acknowledging its root issues?
Would archaludon still be considered unhealthy without its massive rain support and 8 rain turns?

Because trick room if it had an extender item, we would be banning ursaluna, and slow offensive threats aswell, which would eventually lead to us banning the extender, which proves my argument.

if you all are not opposed to my idea of testing the damp rock or the move electro shot, please vote do not ban.

Also, i can disprove the move ban fetish by saying we banned last respects a DAY before other users of the move dropped, only houndstone had it, we seemed uncertain if it was the move or the mon when it was clearly the move, because after we banned houndstone, we banned last respects a day before the other users dropped, and then unbanned houndstone, we didnt prove it was broken on other users which goes against the faulty policy anyway.

i would even go as far as to suggest, if signature moves are exclusive to one pokemon, and it breaks that pokemon it should be okay by precedent to test the move, not the pokemon, because if the pokemon becomes problematic without the move, u can just ban it, but give it a chance to thrive without the move, theres no harm in any of the rest of the tier if this is done since no other pokemon get the move.
And if you do not agree with this, make a poll and watch how much support this suggestion gets, because its more sensible than what the policy has to say, i would even encourage you all to put this in the policy review thread.

I think a metagame should be able to develop before we blindly act on stuff so quickly, whats the point of playing a tier if theres a survey every 2 weeks, it should be every 2-3 months, to give everything a chance to adapt, lemme juggle some memories here:

walking wake: everyone wanted this banned when it first came out, even you finch, this was by far the most broken in the eyes of the public, we ended up keeping it, and what happened, people adapted so nicely that you even admitted that u liked how they adapted, and spammable stab hydro steam draco, is wa y more spammable and easier to click than electro shot draco, atleast electro shot draco could be handled by clod, treads, hippo etc, wake required not only a bulky water, but a protect fairy aswell for defensive counterplay, remember?, And the rest was offensive counterplay, it ended up just fine, you can act on archaludon later but let people adapt to it first see if the hype dies down dont act on it so quickly.

hazards + gholdengo: Everyone wanted this banned when it first came out aswell, and what happened, we adapted (a bit less nicely than wake haha cuz dengo is kinda dumb), but we did adapt , and we were able to play in a meta where gholdengo was now deemed balanced by method of adaptation.

Dragonite: he dominated the meta for a few weeks early gen9, and there was a ban movement for him, now hes nowhere to be seen because we adapted, but its still good though, but now you see people dont view it as an issue anymore

iron Valiant: okay there was even a movement for this on release, i can confirm to you there is no counterplay to all iron valiant sets with the move terablast and tera in general included, encore sets, sd sets, cm sets, setup + encore sets, they can all cheese any mu with the right tera, this would be an example that no counterplay to every single set in a tera meta =/= broken, thats the case for each mon with tera, which is why this metagame is so unique, tera makes every matchup possible, so theres no impossible mus, absolutely the right move to not act on it, but in the future u can bring up the discussion, but until the day i die, im pro no restriction, keep the mechanic alive.

iron moth pre home: people said the only counters were blissey and ting lu, which still died to some sets, we adapted to this pokemon very nicely, it became even better with the dlcs, but no1 cared to explore it so thats why they dont see it, but if we can test arch, we can test this

garganacl : man this thing is still dumb as hell LOOOL, people tried to adapt, they never did, garg right now, has felt so dominant on the ladder and in tours, its way dumber than arch cuz it requires no support and spreads salt cure and rocks, free status absorber, free ghost resist, its ridiculous.

Ctc and others have made a lot of great points in his post about meta diversity and this further proves it, i was convinced that arch wasnt the issue, its the roots of the problem at hand, the weather extender rocks test, and the electro shot test, it allows the meta to keep arch while taming it, so we can have nice defensive utility that can set hazards. Have a nice day yall =), again i wont be reading responses just stating my personal opinions and unloading thoughts, any questions about my post, im a pm away , im on showdown as relic stone, my discord tag is stormzone , if u want a discussion, id be happy to discuss, and as always, if received negatively, then ignore my post, dont even react, if received positively show ur support with the heart reaction.
I can't believe we are returning to Gen 5 OU not just in terms of tier, but also in terms of public sentiment as to how to tier lmfao

I can't believe we are returning to Gen 5 OU not just in terms of tier, but also in terms of public sentiment as to how to tier lmfao
I love gen 5, but man that tier is bonkers. Sure the weather wars are a cool part of the tier, but the "we need to keep diversity at all costs" shtick is bs. Like I'm all for trying to keep mons in the tier, but if it is going to heavily negatively affect the tier then that is not keeping diversity, that's just keeping things for the sake of keeping things. It isn't healthy and leads to deterioration of the tier. The whole, "I won't listen to thoughts thing" also is just unconstructive and comes across as "I won't listen to anyone despite the fact that arguements will haver flaws and thus my arguement will remain heavily flawed." I hate when people do that as if you have a controversial point you have to be ready to back it up.
They literally say that iron moth and garg are broken and that is the straw that broke the camerupts back for me. All there posts to me have been unintelligent ramblings from someone who clearly does not understand the tier. I'm sorry to say but this einstein quote is what I think about storm's posts right now.
1708117269270.png

They may be a top player or something, but I don't honestly care about that because they don't do the fundemental things when trying to prove a point.
1. Allow for counter arguements that they can then respond to.
2. Saying things that you can not properly back up.
Like I thought sticky webs should have been banned on ribombee in DLC1, but I could in no way back that claim up so I just shut my mouth and dealt with it. I'm getting seriously sick of the people who claim they know shit and post stuff like storm zone did.

idk i think hitting #1 consistently is enough to show that zone does clearly know the tier

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

its one thing for u and buzzhole to be condescending to randoms but to a player I'm sure you would acknowledge is better??? doesnt that make you feel silly? He's makes you think of infinite human stupidity but he plays this game better than you?

:blobthinking:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Storm Zone is a great player with a unique style and a ton of skill and experience. I always respected him as a great ladder player and he has been a great tournament player the last few years as well.

His opinions aren’t something anyone should dismiss or ignore. In fact, it’s good he shared them and people listen, respond, react, etc. More top players should get involved.

However, that doesn’t mean his word (or anyone else’s — including my own or people on the council) is gospel. People are allowed to disagree and dispute. That’s the beauty of these discussions. I personally went through the list he posted in the suspect discussion because I (and evidently many others) felt it was riddled with misleading sentiments. That doesn’t mean he’s a bad player or a bad dude; he wants what’s best and is very much entitled to think differently. We all are!

I agree, nobody should personally insult anyone. Some of what has been said isn’t fair and goes too far. But I do think when people say things that are untrue or irresponsible, it is ok to be more blunt with your tone. Some people can pull that off and others go too far.

Everyday I get out of bed and first thing I do is check the forums to see the state of the metagame, with hope it will get better. But it always get worse. There is no hope for me anymore I have been broken, I think my time has come bros gen 9 is over and the sixth floor is calling me a little bit more everyday.

idk i think hitting #1 consistently is enough to show that zone does clearly know the tier

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

its one thing for u and buzzhole to be condescending to randoms but to a player I'm sure you would acknowledge is better??? doesnt that make you feel silly? He's makes you think of infinite human stupidity but he plays this game better than you?

While I do think that saying that he makes me think of infinite human stupidity and saying he doesn't know the tier was harsh, that was not on for me and I apologise for that, my main argument was that they weren't willing to hear negative criticism, which is not right. You should be willing to hear discourse out and back up your points, both which he should do.
Also, I and DaddyBuzzwole are not condescending to randoms so please stop thinking that. When someone comes in to this thread and says their opinion then they should be ready for backlash. There is a simple questions thread specifically for new players and that is where they can ask the questions that may come across as dumb, but may come from a point of trying to know the tier.

Could we consider banning Light Clay please? This battle is extremely unfair, and I couldn't do anything: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2061041278-ab0lpo74q6yevv817bg851iggaxej46pw

Also, like wouldn't Finch's latest team lose to this Espeon too? It probably beats Kingambit.
My guy... sometimes you get goobed. Stored Power and Light Clay are unreliable af considering you need to SET IT UP -- and given the speed of the metagame with stuff like Roaring Moon, Deoxys-Speed, and Swift Swim [Barraskewda] you realistically can't easily set up screens. My suggestion: Tera Dark. Or if that doesn't work, Amnesia Tera Clodsire

My guy... sometimes you get goobed. Stored Power and Light Clay are unreliable af considering you need to SET IT UP -- and given the speed of the metagame with stuff like Roaring Moon, Deoxys-Speed, and Swift Swim [Barraskewda] you realistically can't easily set up screens. My suggestion: Tera Dark. Or if that doesn't work, Amnesia Tera Clodsire
The thing is, I'm not using some trash core on my team. Even Tera Dark Unaware Clefable would probably lose to that Espeon, if it had Dazzling Gleam as its last move, or heck even Espeon's Draining Kiss would probably out-pp Clef's moonlight.

Clodsire is passive AF for an Offense team, and it doesn't provide Healing Wish, and it probably loses to Hawlucha, which Clef doesn't.

It just seems that two styles are now dead overall: BO & non-HO Offense , which has definitely been a thing until these last couple months.

The reason why Stall is picking up again is because the meta has converged to either Rain/Sun or ridiculous Screens offenses.

This team is by a very good builder and player, and would've probably lost to that Screens team too before turn 10 : https://pokepast.es/95b1c9f9b2432de7

The thing is, I'm not using some trash core on my team. Even Tera Dark Unaware Clefable would probably lose to that Espeon, if it had Dazzling Gleam as its last move, or heck even Espeon's Draining Kiss would probably out-pp Clef's moonlight.

Clodsire is passive AF for an Offense team, and it doesn't provide Healing Wish, and it probably loses to Hawlucha, which Clef doesn't.

It just seems that two styles are now dead overall: BO & non-HO Offense , which has definitely been a thing until these last couple months.

The reason why Stall is picking up again is because the meta has converged to either Rain/Sun or ridiculous Screens offenses.

This team is by a very good builder and player, and would've probably lost to that Screens team too before turn 10 : https://pokepast.es/95b1c9f9b2432de7
Does gouging fire not set up and weaken espeon enough for glide to kill? Also hard Rilla was suspect into pult given the risk of burn going hard into it, or getting draco'd. Also, gambit 6-0s that squad once lucha is weakened or, if ting phases it out, valiant gets a late game sweep off. HO is definitely very good right now but screens HO isn't really seen often since you can exploit the setters pretty easily with a typical HO team.

Could we consider banning Light Clay please? This battle is extremely unfair, and I couldn't do anything: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2061041278-ab0lpo74q6yevv817bg851iggaxej46pw

Also, like wouldn't Finch's latest team lose to this Espeon too? It probably beats Kingambit.
The funny part of this to me is Light Clay doesn't even really change much. It didn't take the Espeon 8 turns to set up. It took 2 turns and a Tera once Espeon came in. If the screens run out after that, the Espeon is still set fully up by then. Turn 5 Espeon heals to full with Draining Kiss anyways. Why does turn 6-8 of screens even matter here?

This is yet another post talking about an item that extends something to 8 turns instead of 5 where the setup that is based on it takes far less than 8 turns. Set up mons behind screens shouldn't take 8 turns to set up. It was over within 5 turns. Electroshot doesn't take 8 turns in the rain to snowball. It takes 1 or 2.

If folks are going to argue for these turn extending items as broken, shouldn't you at least present situations where that amount of turns actually matters?

so

I’ve trying to get reqs for the last hour on ouku rodan gaming and did well at the beginning reaching the 1300s for the 12th on an alt and this time not for fun

but i’ve kept making intrusive plays late into the run that have costed me the ultimate opportunity combined with waiting late into the suspect days and roaring moon automatically claiming victories at times where i was actually locked in and made the right plays

if thats making feel you gloomy, don’t worry because its not all bad news
a brand new cobalion set is coming tomorrow and its going to be SOMETHING ELSE, stay tuned

Understanding tiering policy and how to balance a metagame do not require or indicate being a good player (this is what we in the business call an appeal to authority) and it seems to pretty much be tradition for really good tour/ladder players to have the most dogshit takes sometimes. A player's name being attached to a position isn't a substitute for, like, having good arguments, and it certainly doesn't warp reality when you say shit that's just blatantly and demonstrably incorrect.

Someone needs to go check on Storm Zone and make sure Omari P didn't like hack his smogon account or something.

This meta is out of control, that’s the reality.

walking wake didn’t improve suns matchup against its weaknesses anywhere remotely as close as Archaludon improved rains matchup against its weaknesses.

it’s going back to the cycle of too many OP things together in OU somehow containing OU as it is. I.e. there’s approx 5-10 or so Pokémon’s that are orders of magnitude better than the next. It’s still not a good thing

when one pokemon pushes certain playstyles over the edge, it’s getting banned. Archie might have enabled barraskewda and co way too much, kyurem enabled any auxiliary hitter way too much, etc.

I think it’s very in our face now due to mr. Gambit: I.e. the face of being OP evading the ban hammer for so long.

if kingambit had been banned, then all the dirty laundry from OUs top threats would have been significantly more obvious.

it’s literally the face of OU and the face of the problem in front of us. The bottleneck goes back to this.. trust.. too many OP threats are teetering on the cusp of the OU/Ubers line because “at least it’s checked by x, y, z and … [select your choice of balloon, bulky, speedy, tera] kingambit”… ergo, it’s checked naturally by about 30-40% of teams!

the fact that kingambit consistently checks. [almost] everything that is OP, whether that’s rain, roaring moon, Kyurem or whatever the OP threat du jour is .. is a big reason why people are indecisive and the schisms are falling at the critical 50-60% range.

but how do you get rid of kingambit if people can’t even agree it’s too op, because it allegedly “keeps too much OP things in check”… or at the very least allows you to compress defensive profiles in your team very efficiently.

so it was also a critical 50-60% split on the kingambit ban itself, this is due to all the other OP things it checked! People were stating this simple fact for why they said “do not ban”

its now an endless chicken and egg loop, either you accept that OP checking OP isn’t good, or you keep going through this experience of one OP pokemon that puts certain team structures just that little bit over the edge where the pokemon gets banned. Meanwhile 3+ OP pokemon remain in the meta, somehow checking each other.

it was in front of you all when baxvalibur was teetering on the cusp of Ubers right before the alolan ninetails introduction, you could see air balloon gambit preventing Bax from getting better than 45% win rate in tournament games.. apparently it took an alololan ninetails and scale shot for bax to get banned, but I’d argue it would have been banned long before if gambit had gone.

it’s the same with roaring moon, the current broken du jour

It’s the same with so many more

you get rid of gambit and it will be as clear as mud there’s at least 3-4 Pokémon’s that absolutely need to be banned soon thereafter.

and I’d argue the meta will be significantly more manageable like that.

Last edited:

playing the game better doesn't mean that someone's opinions are right, or that their arguments are coherent, or even that everything they post deserves respect, especially if it's something downright ridiculous like "vote dnb on arch because the council will totally test electro shot after that, trust me guys" or "the thing with 100/160/97/106/87/100 stats would be completely balanced without one move" or "my demonstrably unpopular opinions are supported by the silent majority that totally exists". let me show you an example of someone else who was better than me at the game:
"Unfortunate" doesn't begin to describe my series, this game rewards blind luck and nothing else, I am beyond convinced at this point. After getting completely tooled by scheduling with my opponent changing times on me last minute and refusing to provide confirmation prior to the day of the match as to play times, losing this way somehow felt even worse than I had thought possible. My preparation was superior, my play was superior, and I lost, so I don't see a reason to continue engaging in an activity where what is within my control is overwhelmingly outweighed by what is not.

I am done with competitive Pokemon, and you won't get a fond farewell. This community is infected to its roots with a degenerative disease that grows stronger over time but stops short of killing its host. Tournaments used to have a competitive spirit at their heart, this has been transplanted and replaced with an artificial organ that feeds on vitriol and mockery from insecure little boys that heckle by the sidelines and tear each other to shreds over scraps of attention. The environment we fostered has trapped us all like this in a vicious cycle, and escaping it requires acceptance of the harshest reality we all scramble to explain away, that none of the countless straining efforts we put ourselves through here will ever amount to one single shining glimmer of significance. I would make this the end, but World Cup is still ongoing, and I would never leave so many great friends out to dry, so I'll suffer through a few more games for them.

One last thing before I leave you all to react with disdain, ridicule, and self-righteous fervor, before you do everything in your power to minimize my words and thoughts, box them up and shove them to some cobwebbed corner of your memory, and hope they disappear forever as a stain on your finite time ground to dust. From this moment on, nothing you say matters to me. The foulest insults you hurl with intent to wound will calmly settle at the earth before my feet, and the venom you spit will bring all the pain of a warm summer breeze. You are less than anything you can conceive, while I carry on, brimming with joy distilled from detachment.
some people are great at playing the game. some people are great at analyzing the meta and knowing what should be done to balance it. these are two different skillsets and one does not directly translate to the other. good players are not automatically good at game design just because the thing they play is a game. that's like saying that good athletes are experts at physics because physics are involved in sports, or like looking to chess grandmasters for advice on military strategy

Last edited:
What do all these contentious pokemon have in common:

• Roaring Moon
• Gouging Fire
• Walking Wake (and Sun teams)
• Archaludon + barraskewda (and rain teams)
• Kyurem
• Gholdengo
• Volcarona
• Gliscor
• baxcalibur - Pre alolan nintails
• sneasler - Pre grassy glide Rillaboom
• kingambit

• roaring moon is checked by balloon, bulky or Tera gambit
  • Gouging fire is checked by balloon with/or Tera gambit
  • walking wake and sun teams in general are checked by endgame gambit
  • Barraskewda and rain teams in general are checked by gambits ability to blow turns, or turn it into 50/50s. Archaludon slightly changed the dynamic
  • Kyurem is checked by balloon gambit and can be generally checked on its weird sets by standard lefties bulky gambit
  • Gholdengo is checked by gambit
  • Volcarona is checked by Tera or bulky gambit
  • Standard Gliscor is checked by balloon gambit, non standard sets fear the Tera+SD end game and can’t whittle it easily.
  • Bax is checked by balloon or bulky gambit
  • Before grassy glide Rillaboom, sneasler + unburden teams were comfortably dealt with by Tera gambit
  • Kingambit is best checked by itself, jolly 252 speed, ideally with low kick
Of particular note is Gambit using Tera is rarely “wasted” since it’s the #1 Tera receiver in OU. Using Tera on your gambit is not equivalent to being forced to Tera on your Gliscor/tusk/gholdengo etc

Last edited:
What do all these contentious pokemon have in common:

• Roaring Moon
• Gouging Fire
• Walking Wake (and Sun teams)
• Archaludon + barraskewda (and rain teams)
• Kyurem
• Gholdengo
• Volcarona
• Gliscor
• baxcalibur - Pre alolan nintails
• sneasler - Pre grassy glide Rillaboom
• kingambit

• roaring moon is checked by balloon gambit
  • Gouging fire is checked by balloon with/or Tera gambit
  • walking wake and sun teams in general are checked by endgame gambit
  • Barraskewda and rain teams in general are checked by gambits ability to blow turns, or turn it into 50/50s. Archaludon slightly changed the dynamic
  • Kyurem is checked by balloon gambit and can be generally checked on its weird sets by standard lefties bulky gambit
  • Gholdengo is checked by gambit
  • Volcarona is checked by Tera gambit
  • Standard Gliscor is checked by balloon gambit, non standard sets fear the Tera+SD end game and can’t whittle it easily.
  • Bax is checked by balloon gambit
  • Before grassy glide Rillaboom, sneasler + unburden teams were comfortably dealt with by Tera gambit
  • Kingambit is best checked by itself, jolly 252 speed, ideally with low kick
Of particular note is Gambit using Tera is rarely “wasted” since it’s the #1 Tera receiver in OU. Using Tera on your gambit is not equivalent to being forced to Tera on your Gliscor/tusk/gholdengo etc
What is also common between these contentious mons:
  • Roaring Moon is checked by Tera steel tusk
  • Gouging Fire is checked by Tera water tusk
  • Walking wake and sun teams are checked by Tera Dragon/Water, rapid spin tusk
  • Barraskewda and rain teams in general are checked by Tera Grass Tusk
  • Kyurem is checkd by Tera steel Tusk
  • Gholdengo is checked by Tera Dark tusk (I do use Tera Dark tusk a lot to keep resistances and buff knock off power)
  • Volcarona is checked by Tera Steel Tusk on Giga Drain sets
  • Standard Gliscor is checked by Tera Ice Tusk with Ice Spinner
  • Bax is checked by Tera Water Tusk
  • Sneasler is checked by Tera Steel Tusk
  • Gambit is checked by Tusk, just switch out after you switch in to force a tera.
Conclusion: Tusk is broken because it checks all these dangerous threats.
Okay, I'm going to be more serious, but while I do agree that gambit is problematic and should go in the future, it keeping in check more problematic mons is better because it gives us some sense of stability. Not much stability, but hey, that's something. While I do think if you had to ban it, then yes it would show how bs the meta is, people would still likely do the 50%/60% ban ratio thing because they don't understand that if you think something else is more broken, then you still should ban something that is broken if it is being suspected. There is not a lot of harm in getting rid of a broken mon, if it was a mistake then we can review it later, like we did with the volc ban.

What is also common between these contentious mons:
  • Roaring Moon is checked by Tera steel tusk
  • Gouging Fire is checked by Tera water tusk
  • Walking wake and sun teams are checked by Tera Dragon/Water, rapid spin tusk
  • Barraskewda and rain teams in general are checked by Tera Grass Tusk
  • Kyurem is checkd by Tera steel Tusk
  • Gholdengo is checked by Tera Dark tusk (I do use Tera Dark tusk a lot to keep resistances and buff knock off power)
  • Volcarona is checked by Tera Steel Tusk on Giga Drain sets
  • Standard Gliscor is checked by Tera Ice Tusk with Ice Spinner
  • Bax is checked by Tera Water Tusk
  • Sneasler is checked by Tera Steel Tusk
  • Gambit is checked by Tusk, just switch out after you switch in to force a tera.
Conclusion: Tusk is broken because it checks all these dangerous threats.
Okay, I'm going to be more serious, but while I do agree that gambit is problematic and should go in the future, it keeping in check more problematic mons is better because it gives us some sense of stability. Not much stability, but hey, that's something. While I do think if you had to ban it, then yes it would show how bs the meta is, people would still likely do the 50%/60% ban ratio thing because they don't understand that if you think something else is more broken, then you still should ban something that is broken if it is being suspected. There is not a lot of harm in getting rid of a broken mon, if it was a mistake then we can review it later, like we did with the volc ban.
The difference is tusk itself isn’t contentious.

kingambit is.

my argument is that if gambit had been banned a lot of these problematic mons wouldn’t be as polarising . People would be voting to ban more decisively