Smogon Forums

GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
Hahahaha you didn't even watch les miserable

And man I forgot they made a robin hood movie back in 2010. Like literally that's the most forgotten movie.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
Yeah, kinda sucks because I really like that movie, but everyone hates it for some reason. It was my favorite Ridley Scott movie before I saw Alien.

I mean it has Russel Crowe, Cate Blanchette, Kevin Durand, Mark Strong, Oscar Isaac. What's not to like?
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
The fact that it seems awful
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
"seems awful"
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
this is just a meme with you at this point dude lol
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
no, just that this movie has about everything to make it instantly seem bad. Star cast, random brand/hero/legend thing
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
Yeah but I mean it has all the same surface qualities as Gladiator which everyone loved.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
I get what you mean about ensemble casts but usually the director is what sells it. People still loved Ridley Scott back then
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
That's exactly the point. This movie exists because it's a Ridley Scott movie which people will want to see. It's based off of a fairy tale, not an original script like Gladiator. It's trying to copy the same glory but with only superficial comparisons.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
Superficial being the key word here. I saw the movie and I thought it was very good and it never seemed like it didn't have a reason to exist. It was extremely well-produced, there are two action scenes with HUGE armies which had to have been a nightmare to actually do. I can't understand how anyone could watch it and just think "he's just ripping off himself".

As for the fairy tale like, yeah I did hear complaints that he made it not as fun as the real Robin Hood and it's too dark! I don't buy that shit for a moment, there are no hardcore Robin Hood fans, at least not enough to make a big impact, unlike Superman fans @ Man of Steel or Fantastic Four fans @ Fant4stic. I wouldn't even say there are enough fucking Shakespeare fans for that.

And there is no singular Robin Hood story either, like with say, Cinderella, or something. The setting and characters are the only things set in stone, and then from there, every Robin Hood story is original.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
ok I know I'm sounding mad right now but like man

I'm just so bummed we don't have a lot of good medieval/historical epics anymore. I know you don't really care for this genre but that's not the point.

If they do something at that time period, they have to make it a half-baked fantasy with magic and wizards and stuff, like Warcraft or Seventh Son, or the most recent King Arthur. Which is not even a totally bad thing, I like the fantasy genre to an extent. I am a big fan of Lord of the Rings. But like dude the historical epic genre is fucked. Which sucks because just imagine how BEAUTIFUL these movies could be with modern HD cameras and production values. Like the beach battle scene at the climax of Robin Hood just takes my breath away.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
but like when a gem like Robin Hood comes out, it gets shat upon. actually, everything Ridley Scott has made this decade, except for The Martian, has been shat upon. But he's the only one with some prestige that wants to make these movies. If people can't support him then there is really no hope.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
this is like an inch away from being a tirade about the proliferation of comic book movies but I'll stay away from that. I still love comic movies, and I don't want them to be collateral damage but like damn does it make me somewhat irritated
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
I think the problem is historical epic films are generally seen as pretty similar to each other :/ like 300 was a success but 300 2 wasn't really.

I saw "the eagle" and it was like...ok. But what makes it unique compared to gladiator? I guess that modern action movies have the problem too (like what's the reason to see john wick 2 when it will just have the same scenes (i.e. guns and punches) as fast furious 9), but the difference is we have so many settings nowadays. Medieval films make me cringe because I hate castle aesthetic and the only places you can shoot them are sunny/cloudy fields/forests. They're so boring. Like why play RYSE: son of rome when we have god of war that already made it more fun?
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
Not to mention that I just hate medieval fantasy so much more, which drives me to hate the "experimentation" of the medieval war epic (ie the great wall, king Arthur) because its so boring
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
I agree with them not being very flexible. I think each one should kinda tackle something new. I don't think there should be a Robin Hood sequel. But then Robin Hood was like the only high profile serious Robin Hood movie of this century.

Also yeah I agree with the settings which is why you gotta be creative with it too, I guess? Like if you set it during the crusades for example. Now not only do you have castles and fields but bam, you've now also got beautiful beaches and unique architecture from the Muslim world. Ridley Scott actually did do this, Kingdom of Heaven, which I want to see.

Oh and yeah, like I already said, I also hate Medieval fantasy. In film, at least. Even though it's one of my favorite genres of games, like D&D and stuff. But in film it's always a hot CGI garbage mess and always seems, with respect, very uninspired.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
But hey, maybe I've answered my own question. Maybe there really are only a few good stories to tell in this genre and they've been told.
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
lmao 300 part 2 came out on cinemasins today, i didnt even know that when i sent this!
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
lol. I never saw it though
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
same here