Unofficial Metagames 1v1 - Magnezone & Greninja Offense

This is my first RMT (I have been playing for over a year, just never bothered to register on the forums). I built this team around the core of Magnezone and Greninja. Works quite well, Gren targets frailer mons with its Protean-boosted moves and Zone breaks bulkier ones with its Metal Sound and Z-Zap Cannon combination. Overall a decent team in my opinion, but it has notable weaknesses such as being weak to Earthquake Mega Gyarados and being unable to consistently beat Rockium Z Donphan. Suggestions on Pokemon, sets, and EV spreads would be appreciated!

Magnezone @ Electrium Z
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 80 HP / 204 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Zap Cannon
- Metal Sound
- Electroweb
- Protect

Magnezone's main role is to target bulky mons like Magearna, Tapu Fini, Tapu Lele and defensive Mew. It can also do well against frail offensive Pokemon like Mega Charizard Y and Porygon-Z. The reason for choosing Sturdy as Magnezone's Ability is obvious: it allows Zone to survive any hit from Pokemon without Mold Breaker. The first three moves are pretty straightforward, letting it boost and outspeed the opposing Pokemon in order to hit with a powerful Gigavolt Havoc alongside Electrium Z. Protect is chosen over other moves like Mirror Coat for its ability to protect Magnezone against Fake Out users such as Mega Lopunny and Mega Medicham.
The 80 HP EVs make Magnezone not 3HKOed by Seismic Toss from Chansey and Blissey, hitting 301 HP. 224 Speed EVs let it outspeed fast Magearna and Normalium Z Porygon-Z, and also outspeed fast Tapu Lele after one Electroweb.

Greninja @ Choice Specs
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Cannon
- Grass Knot
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse

Greninja's purpose is to beat those non-Sturdy Ground-type Pokemon like Landorus-T and Garchomp that threaten Magnezone, as well as being a check to Serperior, the reason I chose it in the first place. Protean gives STAB to all of Greninja's moves, letting it hit harder and utilize type resistances. Choice Specs boosts Greninja's power even further, allowing it to OHKO the majority of the metagame with Hydro Cannon, its strongest move. The Choice lock doesn't matter much, as 1v1 matches tend to be short anyways. Greninja's set is pretty standard--Grass Knot hits Water-types such as Mega Gyarados and Mega Slowbro that resist Hydro Cannon, and is 4x super-effective on Mega Swampert. Ice Beam provides excellent coverage against the Dragon- and Grass- types in the tier, OHKOing Naganadel and Zygarde, while guaranteed OHKOing a Serperior with uninvested defenses. Dark Pulse is used instead of Hidden Power Fire as Magnezone can already beat Magearna.

Dragonite @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 216 HP / 128 Atk / 16 Def / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fly
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance

Dragonite, the final member of my team, rounds out the team and supports the main core by dealing with threats such as Mega Venusaur and Ground-type Sturdy Pokemon such as Donphan and Golem. I have seen the niche Fairium Z Donphan, though, and Dragonite's matchup against it and Rockium Z Donphan is shaky. Z-Fly is used to win against Primarina, slow Tapu Lele, and Kartana, as well as OHKOing Mega Venusaur. Earthquake hits Steel- and Rock-types, Extreme Speed picks off weakened Pokemon, and Dragon Dance boosts Dragonite's stats, allowing it to break through faster, bulkier Pokemon. Pretty much your standard Dragonite set.

Hi! It' so good to see a 1v1 team up for an RMT, and I will try my best to make it better. Firstly, it's a great team, and with slight modifications here and there, I can see it go very far. Before I start, I would like to prefix it by saying that I will be using August 1760 usage stats to judge what threats your team is weak to other than Earthquake Mega Gyarados. See, I am new to RMTing, so I'll just jump straight into it:

- I see a weakness to the Will-o-wisp specially defensive Charizard Mega X, a very good set which is usually a staple in many high ladder and tournament games involving Mega Charizard X.

- Bulk Up Zeraora seems to be a 3-0, since it can be made to tank Dragonite's EQ+ExtremeSpeed after a BulkUp.

- Ice Punch Hammer Arm Mega Metagross can also give you a hard time, since it is usually EVd to tank a Dark Pulse from Choice Specs Greninja

- Choice Scarf Haxorus also seems to be a 3-0, with neither successfully tanking it or outspeeding it.

- Rockium Z Golem and Donphan also 3-0s you, like you correctly pointed out.

Based off of this, I would suggest switching Dragonite to Kommo-o. This improves your Mega Gyarados matchup, while also beating Haxorus, specially defensive Mega Charizard X, Mega Venusaur, Zeraora, Golem and Donphan. You might think that Mega Metagross might still be able to win, but I will be suggesting a specific set here tailored to your team's need. This also improves your matchup against Registeel, one of the Pokemon which forms the core for RegiSerp, a very potent core.

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 232 HP / 220 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Clanging Scales
- Close Combat
- Flamethrower

252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Outrage vs. 232 HP / 220+ Def Kommo-o: 300-354 (85.9 - 101.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

You mentioned how Dragonite beats Primarina and slow Tapu Lele. From your team, I feel like Magnezone already beats those two, so it's not like Kommo-o's inclusion misses out on those KOes.

Also, I know you have Protect on Magnezone to beat those pesky Fake Out users but seeing that Greninja beats Mega Medicham and offensive Mew, and Kommo-o beats Zeraora, Mega Lopunny, and Incineroar, I think it can be replaced with Hidden Power Ice to beat Fly Choice Scarf Landorus-T, which could give your team some trouble.

1568963913007.png1568963923485.png1568963939706.png <-- Click on the sprites anywhere to get pokepaste link of updated team

Replays of this team in action:

Not my job to say this, but I think you should change your tag from Other Metagames to Unofficial Metagames, since 1v1 is not an OM anymore, but an UM!

Have fun laddering!

Last edited:
Hi! It' so good to see a 1v1 team up for an RMT, and I will try my best to make it better. Firstly, it's a great team, and with slight modifications here and there, I can see it go very far. Before I start, I would like to prefix it by saying that I will be using August 1760 usage stats to judge what threats your team is weak to other than Earthquake Mega Gyarados. See, I am new to RMTing, so I'll just jump straight into it:

- I see a weakness to the Will-o-wisp specially defensive Charizard Mega X, a very good set which is usually a staple in many high ladder and tournament games involving Mega Charizard X.

- Bulk Up Zeraora seems to be a 3-0, since it can be made to tank Dragonite's EQ+ExtremeSpeed after a BulkUp.

- Ice Punch Hammer Arm Mega Metagross can also give you a hard time, since it is usually EVd to tank a Dark Pulse from Choice Specs Greninja

- Choice Scarf Haxorus also seems to be a 3-0, with neither successfully tanking it or outspeeding it.

Based off of this, I would suggest switching Dragonite to Kommo-o. This improves your Mega Gyarados matchup, while also beating Haxorus, specially defensive Mega Charizard X, Mega Venusaur, Zeraora, Golem and Donphan. You might think that Mega Metagross might still be able to win, but I will be suggesting a specific set here tailored to your team's need. This also improves your matchup against Registeel, one of the Pokemon which forms the core for RegiSerp, a very potent core.

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Clanging Scales
- Close Combat
- Flamethrower

252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Outrage vs. 232 HP / 220+ Def Kommo-o: 300-354 (85.9 - 101.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

You mentioned how Dragonite beats Primarina and slow Tapu Lele. From your team, I feel like Magnezone already beats those two, so it's not like Kommo-o's inclusion misses out on those KOes.

Also, I know you have Protect on Magnezone to beat those pesky Fake Out users but seeing that Greninja beats Mega Medicham and offensive Mew, and Kommo-o beats Zeraora, Mega Lopunny, and Incineroar, I think it can be replaced with Hidden Power Ice to beat Fly Choice Scarf Landorus-T, which could give your team some trouble.

View attachment 195410View attachment 195411View attachment 195412 <-- Click on the sprites anywhere to get pokepaste link of updated team

Not my job to say this, but I think you should change your tag from Other Metagames to Unofficial Metagames, since 1v1 is not an OM anymore, but an UM!

Have fun laddering!
Thanks Wrath of Alakazam for the great rate! Also, I must make a comment that I also faced that M-Charizard X user once (and thought the set was specially defensive)! Yeah, to tell the truth, I wasn't sure what to put in the last teamslot. I'll be up and running with this new team!

Hi! It's so good to see a 1v1 team up for an RMT, and I will try my best to make it better. Firstly, it's a great team, and with slight modifications here and there, I can see it go very far. Before I start, I would like to prefix it by saying that I will be using August 1760 usage stats to judge what threats your team is weak to other than Earthquake Mega Gyarados. See, I am new to RMTing, so I'll just jump straight into it:

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Clanging Scales
- Close Combat
- Flamethrower

View attachment 195410View attachment 195411View attachment 195412 <-- Click on the sprites anywhere to get pokepaste link of updated team

Have fun laddering!
I don't know where to post this, so I'll just put it here.

After a few trials, I noticed that the team you provided was harder to use than my original team. I had Dragonite beat Primarina and slow Tapu Lele so that if I predicted wrong what Pokemon the opponent sent out, I would still have a chance. But with your new team, prediction is much more important and I haven't gotten the hang of it yet. I could be dead-weight in a matchup I could've won just because I sent out Kommo-o against Tapu Lele instead of Magnezone, for example. I must note that my rating is only in the range of ~1350-1400, so 1760-rating usage stats might not be relevant, if that's what the number means. (If "1760 usage stats" does not refer to rating, ignore that statement.) When used by a skilled player, this team is very potent. But I don't think I'm good at predicting enough to move up yet.

So I'm going to put this team on hold.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)