2017/18 (Soccer) Football Thread

Another disappointing performance from Bayern, Ribery injured too smh (EDIT: confirmed LCL tear).

I might have also underestimated Eusebio Di Francesco. A string of good showings from Roma since that season opener, and our loss vs Inter was unlucky.

Last edited:
I can't wait to watch Argentina vs Peru tomorrow. Just imagine Guerrero ''killing'' all the chances that Argentina have to go to the WC.

Wow, Argentina need a win or they're missing the World Cup. Not sure what they were thinking here lmao, no Dybala, Icardi, or Paredes

キャプチャ.PNG

Wow, Argentina need a win or they're missing the World Cup. Not sure what they were thinking here lmao, no Dybala, Icardi, or Paredes

View attachment 89270
Out of that starting eleven, I'd only have kept Mercado, Acuña (issue #1 - he's not a left back. Seriously, Tagliafico is the best left-back Argentina has and he's not even called up) and Benedetto (issue #2 - calling Benedetto up but not Pavón, when they are having a deadly partnership at Boca right now)

The largest issue though is still using player that have lost all credit long ago, and should have been dropped as soon as the 2010 World Cup ended.

The largest issue though is still using player that have lost all credit long ago, and should have been dropped as soon as the 2010 World Cup ended.
So kind of like Italy, except Italy really doesn't have a lot of promising youth IMO. We've been lacking a reliable striker since who, Luca Toni? And even he wasn't that good.

Out of that starting eleven, I'd only have kept Mercado, Acuña (issue #1 - he's not a left back. Seriously, Tagliafico is the best left-back Argentina has and he's not even called up) and Benedetto (issue #2 - calling Benedetto up but not Pavón, when they are having a deadly partnership at Boca right now)

Is Messi not hacking it at International level anymore?

So kind of like Italy, except Italy really doesn't have a lot of promising youth IMO. We've been lacking a reliable striker since who, Luca Toni? And even he wasn't that good.
Sorry, but I think Italy has ONLY good strikers as Belotti and/or Immobile. Instead it's the rest of the team inappropiate; there are old or inexperienced players for defense and not so good midfielders.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
wow, England team, 2 fantastic wins, we were so dominant against slovenia and lithuania, we have a very exciting team. judging by our last 2 performances I think we'll make it to at least the quarter finals at the world cup, though the semis should be our target

You know you're scraping the barrel when England's best midfield pairing consists of two from Henderson, Dier and Winks...

But somehow I actually am looking forward to the WC next year. There are some exciting young players from the likes of France, Spain and Brazil coming through. You never know with Italy as well, they could be a wild card if their young players improve. Germany will be efficient as always I'm sure and it's nice to see countries like Iceland make it and I'm looking forward to seeing Egypt and Nigeria too. Big match on Monday between Wales and Ireland!!!

wow, England team, 2 fantastic wins, we were so dominant against slovenia and lithuania, we have a very exciting team. judging by our last 2 performances I think we'll make it to at least the quarter finals at the world cup, though the semis should be our target
Did you not see us play? We are amazing and completely bossed the field with quick intricate passing.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
You know you're scraping the barrel when England's best midfield pairing consists of two from Henderson, Dier and Winks...

But somehow I actually am looking forward to the WC next year. There are some exciting young players from the likes of France, Spain and Brazil coming through. You never know with Italy as well, they could be a wild card if their young players improve. Germany will be efficient as always I'm sure and it's nice to see countries like Iceland make it and I'm looking forward to seeing Egypt and Nigeria too. Big match on Monday between Wales and Ireland!!!
In all seriousness, I do like Winks as a player, and I really hope he gets more game time for Spurs because he could have a great breakthrough year. But yeah, our midfield options are terrible right now. Henderson and Dier aren't bad players but they just lack any creativity. And if you look at our recently called up, we're picking from Delph, Chalobah and Livermore, it's no wonder we're so sluggish and boring to watch. Kane is barely in the game when playing for England, but I can't blame him for that when at Spurs he has someone as good as Eriksen feeding him.

I also am looking forward to the World Cup though, and no matter how boring England are to watch, there's something still great about going to the pub to watch the matches and everyone rooting for the same team

Hoping Wales do it vs Ireland, I feel so sorry for them that they've lost Bale for these crucial matches.

I definitely much prefer Dier + Winks rather than Henderson. But Winks lacks experience and you could argue it would be unfair to throw a young player into such pressure. International football is basically continuous knockout football; in league football at least you get another chance after a bad game but in internationals one mistake can see your team knocked out. Since there's only one winner that means a lot of opportunities to become a villain; and a player's international career can easily be ruined before it even gets going (just look at England's previous goalkeepers). Even if Winks gets plenty of playing time with Spurs this season I don't see Southgate putting him into the XI next summer if he can help it.

The other thing is if England want to get far like the quarter or semi finals then you have to compare to the midfields of those likely teams. Would Dier and/or Winks get anywhere near even the benches of those teams? The reality is just depressing really and shows the lack of strength in midfield especially but also in defence. Attack is probably the only decent area on paper but Sterling and Ox have never performed internationally and Walcott isn't good enough. Lallana has though so maybe Southgate can throw Kane, Rashford and Lallana up front and defend with the rest of the team and hope to hit Kane with a long ball.

In Arsenal related news, Wenger says Wilshere has 3 months to save his Arsenal career and if he does he might even be able to play his way into the England squad 0__o Temperament, injury and smoking problems aside, Wilshere was always a genuine talent and when he has not been making his own problems he has been incredibly unlucky. I hope he can play his way back into the Arsenal XI, and I don't doubt he can if he stays fit because his last 3 performances have been excellent. It would be quite a story if Wilshere stays fit, finds the form that he always hinted at before always being stopped by injury, and ends up being the exile that becomes England's creative force in midfield next year!

Sorry, but I think Italy has ONLY good strikers as Belotti and/or Immobile. Instead it's the rest of the team inappropiate; there are old or inexperienced players for defense and not so good midfielders.
Have to disagree on Immobile, he was good for that one season at Torino and that was it. But yeah, that's basically what I said about not having promising youth to rely on, with the exception of Donnarumma, who won't be getting the nod over Buffon any time soon.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
Have to disagree on Immobile, he was good for that one season at Torino and that was it. But yeah, that's basically what I said about not having promising youth to rely on, with the exception of Donnarumma, who won't be getting the nod over Buffon any time soon.
Someone is not watching Serie A this year, Immobile has been the best striker alongside Mertens so far.

Someone is not watching Serie A this year, Immobile has been the best striker alongside Mertens so far.
That's this year, though, not gonna jump to conclusions and say he's regaining form or become a top striker based on the few games thus far. If he keeps it up and contributes for club and country, then yeah I'll have a different opinion.

EDIT: Argentina was down 0-1 early but have since equalised via Messi. Need a win to qualify or a draw+Peru loss to secure play-off

EDIT 2: Messi again!

Last edited:
Take cover, everyone. Messi did something when his team is on a difficult time, and so did Di María.

I say there's a meteor shower tomorrow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)