4. Berry Colors
    5. Mulch
    6. Berry Mutation
    7. Obtainable Pokemon
    8. Berry Locations and Growth Rates

Introduction to Berries

- What they are
- What they do

Previous generations (THESE WON’T BE LONG SECTIONS, JUST A PARAGRAPH OR TWO, THIS ISN’T MEANT TO BE A WIKIPEDIA ARTICLE)

Gen II

- Hard to find because not many trees
- Places to obtain
- List of berries w/ effects

Gen III

- Big overhaul
- More beries introduced, new names for old ones
- Changes to growth mechanics
- Pokeblock & contests
- EV Berries in Emerald

- List of berries with effects
- E-reader berries
- List with effects

Gen IV

- Changes to growing mechanics
- Introduction of Mulch
- Poffin

- New berries w/ effects

Gen V

- About not being able to grow them
- Dream World

Full list of Berries with effects

TABLE

Battle effects

- Natural Gift w/ TABLE
- Recycle
- Fling
- Bug Bite & Pluck
- Harvest
- Unnerve
- Klutz
- Knock Off
- Magic Room
- Embargo
- Cheek Pouch
- Gluttony

Gen VI

New Berries

There are three new Berries introduced to X and Y, each giving a new effect when consumed. The Roseli Berry can be found under a tree on Route 14, between Laverre City and Lumiose City, and the Kee and Maranga Berries can only be obtained through various mutations explained later in this article.

THIS WILL BE A TABLE FOR AESTHETIC PURPOSES

Kee Berry = If held by a Pokemon, this Berry will increase the Pokemon’s Defense stat when hit with a physical attack.
Maranga Berry = If held by a Pokemon, this Berry will increase the Pokemon’s Special Defense stat when hit with a special attack.
Roseli Berry = If held by a Pokemon, this Berry will lessen the damage taken from one supereffective Fairy-type attack.

Unobtainable Berries

- Why some can’t be found

- List

Introduction to Berry farming

In Generation VI, growing Berries makes a return to the main series with a few updates. In Pokemon X and Y, you can grow them on a Berry field located on the southern exit of Route 7, west of Camphrier Town. Various Berry trees are located around Kalos from which you can obtain one Berry a day, which you can then take to the Berry field to cultivate. There are six rows of plots, each with 6 spots where you can plant a Berry, so you can farm multiple Berries at one time.

Growing Berries works similarly to previous games. Mulch makes a return from Gen IV, which you can make using either of two composters. You place the Mulch on the ground, then place the Berry you’d like to cultivate. You then water the patch of soil once a day using the Sprinklotad to keep the soil from drying out. Once the Berry has fully grown, you can then reap the harvest. The tree will disappear, and you can regrow another tree in that location.

Berries take real-world time to grow, and each Berry has a specific growth rate. What type of Mulch you use affects how each tree grows. There are a few changes to growing Berries too. Occasionally, weeds will grow around a tree, which affects the Berry yield negatively, so you must pull them out to prevent a less bountiful yield. Also, a few select Pokemon will also occasionally attack your trees which you must battle to get rid of. Mutations on the Berries can also occur, giving you a new type of Berry from that harvest.

Berry Colors

There are six different types of Berry colors. The significance of the colors in X and Y is for creating the four types of Mulch for aiding your farming. The six different colors are:

• Blue Berries

This group comprises of the Apicot, Coba, Kelpsy, Maranga, Oran, Passho, Rowap, and Yache Berries.

• Green Berries

This group comprises of the Aguav, Babiri, Durin, Hondew, Kebia, Lum, Micle, Rabuta, Rawst, Rindo, Salac, Starf, Tanga, and Wepear Berries.

• Pink Berries

This group comprises of the Mago, Magost, Nanab, Pecha, Persim, Petaya, Roseli, and Watmel Berries

• Purple Berries

This group comprises of the Belue, Bluk, Chesto, Colbur, Cornn, Ganlon, Kasib, Pamtre, Payapa, and Wiki Berries.

• Red Berries

This group comprises of the Cheri, Chople, Custap, Figy, Haban, Lansat, Leppa, Liechi, Occa, Pomeg, Spelon, and Tamato Berries.

• Yellow Berries

This group comprises of the Aspear, Charti, Chilan, Grepa, Iapapa, Jaboca, Kee, Nomel, Pinap, Qualot, Shuca, Sitrus, and Wacan Berry.

Mulch

Mulch can be created using either of the two composters in the Berry field. You feed three Berries into the machine, and receive three bags of Mulch. The type of Mulch you receive depends on the colors of the Berries that you used to make it. There are 4 different types of Mulch:

• Surprise Mulch

This increases the chances of a mutation occuring between two trees. It is created by mixing three Berries of the same color, e.g. three Sitrus Berries.

• Rich Mulch

This doubles the harvest from a tree. It is created by mixing three Berries of different colors, e.g. a Sitrus Berry, a Lum Berry, and an Oran Berry.

• Boost Mulch

This triples the harvest from a tree, but requires you to water the soil every 4 hours instead of every day. It is created by mixing two Berries of the same color, and one of a different one, e.g. two Sitrus Berries, and a Lum Berry.

• Amaze Mulch

This combines the effects of Boost and Surprise Mulch, and is the best of the 4 Mulches. It is created by mixing a Kee or Maranga Berry with any two other Berries, e.g. a Kee Berry, a Sitrus Berry, and a Lum Berry.

Because the Kee and Maranga Berries can only be obtained through combinations of various mutations, Amaze Mulch is the most difficult to get, but it’s effects can greatly improve your harvest. Note that although the Kee and Maranga Berries have a color assigned to them, putting one in the composter will always result in creating Amaze Mulch, regardless of the other Berries used.

Berry Mutation

Mutations in the harvest sometimes occur when two certain Berries are grown next to each other. Once a specific mutation has been discovered, you can talk to the scientist in the Berry farmer’s house to review the formula. This is the only way to get certain Berries in Kalos, and some Berries can only be created from two other mutations, so some Berries may take a few days of correct farming to obtain. Using Surprise Mulch will increase the likelyhood of a mutation occuring. Below is a list of each mutation and which two Berries you need to obtain that particular mutation.

• The following mutations occur from two Berries that can be natively found in the Kalos region:

- Grepa Berry = Aguav Berry + Figy Berry
- Hondew Berry = Aspear Berry + Leppa Berry
- Kelpsy Berry = Chesto Berry + Persim Berry
- Pomeg Berry = Iapapa Berry + Mago Berry
- Qualot Berry = Oran Berry + Pecha Berry
- Tamato Berry = Lum Berry + Sitrus Berry

• The following mutations occur from one Berry that has been obtained from a mutation in the previous list, and one that can be natively found in the Kalos region:

- Apicot Berry = Kelpsy Berry + Wacan Berry
- Ganlon Berry = Qualot Berry + Tanga Berry
- Liechi Berry = Hondew Berry + Yache Berry
- Petaya Berry = Pomeg Berry + Kasib Berry
- Salac Berry = Grepa Berry + Roseli Berry

• The last two Berries can only be obtained from two Berries that were obtained from mutations in the previous list:

- Kee Berry = Ganlon Berry + Liechi Berry
- Maranga Berry = Salac Berry + Petaya Berry

Obtainable Pokemon

Occasionally, you may find a tree shaking accompanied by a rustling sound. This indicates that a Pokemon is attacking your tree. In order to protect your tree, you must battle the Pokemon to rid the tree of it. Each tree of a certain Berry color has a specific Pokemon that it attracts. They are all found at either Lv. 14-15, and can be found in both X and Y versions.

- Blue Berry tree = Volbeat
- Green Berry tree = Burmy (Plant Cloak Forme)
- Pink Berry tree = Spewpa
- Purple Berry tree = Illumise
- Red Berry tree = Ledyba
- Yellow Berry tree = Combee

Berry Locations and Growth Rates

Below is a list of all the Berries obtainable within the Kalos region, their location, growth time, minimum and maximum yields, and color.

TABLE

Last edited:
Apologies for some of it being paragraphs rather than bullet points. I was writing stuff up to make sure I didn't forget about it when I thought of it & it kinda turned into full paragraphs. Once I realised, I kept the rest to bullet points for the QC stage. I believe I've got everything that needs to be in the article, but feel free to tell me anything that you think should be included in this article, or of any inaccuracies that you notice.

Ciran

Queen Of Puns
is a Top Artistis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
I'll start with a post about the Gen V berry mechanics. I spent a lot of time in Dream World and consider myself knowledgeable on the subject. In addition I confirmed locations on my games and cross compared information from other Smogon articles and the Pokémon website. Please let me know if you would prefer a different way for me to make these posts and any constructive critique on the content.

Since the introduction of berries Gen V has been the only main series game in which you were not able to grow and/or harvest berries in game. This is due to the lack of soft soil throughout Unova and no Berry Pots. To obtain berries in game one must get them from wild Pokémon, receive them from NPC's, or buy them from the Flower Shop in Join Avenue (Black2 White2). Mulch lost its original function and became a valuable item in B2W2 where it could be sold at a higher price to a collector in Mistralton City.

To grow berries one had to visit the Dream World on the Pokémon Global Link website. Players started with a default of 6 slots to grow berry plants in. This number could be increased to a maximum of 30 plants by earning Dream Points. Plants in the Dream World grew more slowly than their in game counterparts, possibly because the Dream World could only be accessed once per day. Watering berry plants helped increase the total number of berries produced and gave the player Dream Points. Players were given certain berries upon starting their Dream World adventure and then had to find or trade for berries to obtain a full collection. Once collected berries could be transferred to the players game and received in the Entralink or exchanged to buy Décor to decorate the player's home. The Dream World was the exclusive way to get many berries prior to Join Avenue. When Dream World was discontinued these actions became reimbursed with Poké Miles to be used in the PokéMilage Club for Gen VI games.

Reactions: ant

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ciran did her part, we still need a few more people to help out with this. do you know of anyone NoCheese ?

Not sure what I can do for help but I'll just chip in with whatever I can. First off, the berries in Generation II are vastly different from the ones that you will find in later generations. For one, you pick Berries from fixed places in both the Kanto and Johto regions where the Berry tree is located instead of planting the Berry and watering it, as most players of later games are used to. Secondly, you can only obtain one Berry from a single tree (per day). Finally, the names of the Berries are much more simple and is very different from the names of Berries nowadays. For instance, we have PSNCure Berry instead of Pecha Berry and Bitter Berry instead of Persim Berry. A full list of Berries and their effects is given below:

1) Berry
- Heals a Pokemon by 10 HP.
- Used to cure Miltank at the MooMoo Farm. You need 7 Berries for this.
- Is replaced by Oran Berry in later generations.

2) Gold Berry
- Heals a Pokemon by 30 HP.
- Is replaced by Sitrus Berry in later generations. Starting from the fourth generation, the Sitrus Berry will heal a Pokemon of 25 percent of their maximum HP.

3) PRZCure Berry
- Cures a Pokemon of Paralysis status.
- Is replaced by Cheri Berry in later generations.

4) PSNCure Berry
- Cures a Pokemon of Poison status.
- Is replaced by Pecha Berry in later generations.

5) Bitter Berry
- Cures a Pokemon of Confusion status.
- Is replaced by Persim Berry in later generations.

6) Burnt Berry
- Cures a Pokemon of Freeze status.
- Is replaced by Aspear Berry in later generations.

7) Ice Berry
- Cures a Pokemon of Burn status
- Is replaced by Rawst Berry in later generations.

8) Mint Berry
- Cures a Pokemon of Sleep status
- Is replaced by Chesto Berry in later generations.

9) Miracle Berry
- Cures a Pokemon of any status.
- Is replaced by Lum Berry in later generations.

10) Mystery Berry
- Restores the PP of a Pokemon's move by 5.
- Is replaced by Leppa Berry in later generations.

Out of these Berries, there are two Berries which are unobtainable from the Berry trees. The Gold Berry is one such example where you need to either place 3rd in the Bug Catching Contest, capture a Wild Furret which happens to hold it, Trading Pokemon from the Generation I games or perform the Mystery Gift . Miracle Berry cannot be obtained from in-game events and can only be obtained from Mystery Gift. A list of where to obtain the Berries is given below;

1) Berry
- Routes 11 , 29 , 30 , 38 and 46.
- Bug Catching Contest (Consolation Prize).
- Mystery Gift (5 %).
- Trading Pokemon from Generation I games.
- Held by wild Pikachu (5 %) , Sentret (8 %) , Furret (50 %) and Shuckle (50 %)

2) Gold Berry
- Bug Catching Contest (3rd Place).
- Mystery Gift (1 %).
- Held by wild Furret (8 %)

3) PRZCure Berry
- Routes 8 and 46.
- Violet City.
- Mystery Gift (5 %).

4) PSNCure Berry
- Routes 2 , 30 and 33.
- Mystery Gift (Common).

5) Bitter Berry
- Routes 1 ,31 and 43.
- Mystery Gift (5 %).

6) Burnt Berry
- Route 44.
- Fuchsia City.
- Mystery Gift (5 %).
- Held by wild Vulpix (33 %), Growlithe (25 %), and Magmar (33 %)

7) Ice Berry
- Routes 26 and 36.
- Pewter City.
- Mystery Gift (5 %).
- Held by wild Jynx (33 %)

8) Mint Berry
- Routes 39.
- Pewter City.
- Mystery Gift (5 %).

9) Miracle Berry
- Mystery Gift (1 %).

10) Mystery Berry
- Routes 35 and 45.
- Held by wild Clefairy (25 %) and Mr.Mime (8 %)

Disclaimer: Most of the information here are taken from Serebii and Bulbapedia. Some are added from own playing experience.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)