AAA Almost Any Ability

OK I understand that I suffer from the syndrome of making sets and posting them, but found/created some really good sets.

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Roost
- Dragon Pulse

Admitting it, it's not a set created by me, but saw it on ladder and revamped it a bit. This set here is an offensive one for a reason which I will explain later, but you can change the 252 SpA to Def and Bold Nature. Every physical attack will deal less damage with each turn, and will boost Stored Power's BP. Calm Mind boosts the SpD and SpA, with which you boost Stored Power yet again, and you are preparing it to hit like a rocket launcher. Roost here is good if a Pokemon tries to wear you off. After few boosts on both defenses, virtually only crits and Unaware Pokemon can touch this thing. However, they don't appreciate taking on a high based STAB move along with a 252+ SpA. Finally, Dragon Pulse is to hit Dark-type Pokemon, which are imunne to Stored Power.

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Flame Charge

You probably have thought of this set, but I never copied it or revamped it from anything. Talonflame is unique in the meta here because it gets 2 powerful STAB recoil moves and a top tier speed, being able to outspeed Specs Noivern. Now with Magic Guard, not only Tflame doesn't fear Life Orb + recoil moves, but it also easily switches into any hazard moves. The Flame Charge here seems strange. Flame Charge boosts your speed and therefore allows you to outspeed things like Tapu Koko. This set has some problems with Rock-type Pokemon, so you can swap Flame Charge with some memes like Steel Wing or something. Just run it with something that either covers the faster threats or Rock-type Pokemon.

Mew @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Taunt

This set is a really defensive based one. Being able to set all 3 known screens, this thing can drastically boost the whole team's Defense. The thing that is really really good about this set is that it gives perfect opportunities for setters to set. The offensive Latias set I posted earlier exactly goes very well with this set. Brick Break memes, Psychic Fangs, and Defog might be problems, but there's the reason I run Taunt for Defog. Keep it away from Taunt as well (unless the opponent is slower and you predict it). The reason I run this over any Ice-type Pokemon is that this thing is the most balanced Pokemon from the 3 screens learners in terms of Defense + Access to Taunt, something which Cryogonal doesn't get access to. (Also Jynx has a horrible Defense stat lol).
I mean, both latias and talon are common / good enough to be on the viability rankings and generally just stuff you should take into account when building.

Stamina Latias is a set that I've never used, because I think it's pretty bad. It's super passive and does like no initial damage so it's not too hard for offence to just overpower it, and it's just useless against balance or stall. Just like status it or smt, it's quite easy.

Talon is a pretty good mon in the meta, you definitely need roost on that if you want to be able to setup on anything or just generally be more reliable. I personally think setup / taunt / roost / brave bird is the best set because it does about as well against any offence team, but is a pain to deal with for more generic balance builds or stall. Talon's defensive typing is actually quite good and without roost you're missing on a ton of setup opportunities.

That mew could probably work with only aurora veil / taunt / recovery and a pivot move, screens + veil takes a lot of time and is a bit overkill, with a pivot move you can keep momentum and safely send in w/e setup sweeper you want.

I think the electrify and motor drive/lightning rod combination is a problem. Is it? If yes, how can electrify be banned?

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I think the electrify and motor drive/lightning rod combination is a problem. Is it? If yes, how can electrify be banned?
There's no need to ban it lol. They need first to trap you in order for that meme to be succesful. Even so you can have a Mold Breaker Pokemon in. Or anything imunne to trapping. Even tho it seems like broken, it's actually more of a meme.

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
I don't even understand how no one has ever addressed issue with Hoopa-U. (If you did, I haven't seen it being discussed in depth)
Yes, I haven't been the most enthused fan of AAA after Innards Out ban, but I recently started enjoying this meta against after I started CLC challenge... after I noticed Hoopa-U is just ridiculous in this meta.

HP: 80
Atk: 160
Def: 60
SpA: 170
SpDef: 130
Spe: 80

Movepool:

Hyperspace Fury, Knock Off, Dark Pulse, Psychic / Psyshock, Zen Headbutt, Trick, Gunk Shot, Thunderbolt, Thunder Punch, Focus Blast, Drain Punch, Energy Ball, Grass Knot, Fire Punch, Ice Punch...

Calculations:

252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Hoopa-Unbound Hyperspace Fury vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 164-193 (38.7 - 45.6%) -- 83.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Hoopa-Unbound Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 262-309 (61.9 - 73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Hoopa-Unbound Thunder Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 328-388 (77.5 - 91.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Hoopa-Unbound Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 328-388 (77.5 - 91.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Hoopa-Unbound Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Mandibuzz: 196-232 (46.3 - 54.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Hoopa-Unbound Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Mandibuzz: 294-348 (69.5 - 82.2%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Hoopa-Unbound Thunder Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Fini: 308-364 (89.7 - 106.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Hoopa-Unbound Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Fini: 492-580 (143.4 - 169%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Hoopa-Unbound Hyperspace Fury vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Fini: 153-181 (44.6 - 52.7%) -- 25.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Poison Heal
252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Hoopa-Unbound Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Fini: 246-291 (71.7 - 84.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Poison Heal

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Hoopa-Unbound Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Tapu Fini: 158-186 (46 - 54.2%) -- 53.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Poison Heal
252+ SpA Choice Specs Hoopa-Unbound Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Tapu Fini: 238-280 (69.3 - 81.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
252+ SpA Choice Specs Hoopa-Unbound Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Fini: 172-204 (50.1 - 59.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Poison Heal
252+ SpA Choice Specs Hoopa-Unbound Energy Ball vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Tapu Fini: 260-308 (75.8 - 89.7%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Hoopa-Unbound Hyperspace Fury vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 208-246 (57.1 - 67.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Hoopa-Unbound Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 167-197 (45.8 - 54.1%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Hoopa-Unbound Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 418-494 (114.8 - 135.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Hoopa-Unbound Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 234-276 (64.2 - 75.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Hoopa-Unbound Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Magearna in Psychic Terrain: 350-414 (96.1 - 113.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Hoopa-Unbound Hyperspace Fury vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 624-735 (88.6 - 104.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Hoopa-Unbound Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 499-588 (70.8 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Hoopa-Unbound Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Psychic Terrain: 748-882 (106.2 - 125.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Hoopa-Unbound Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 624-736 (88.6 - 104.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Hustle Hoopa-Unbound Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 499-588 (70.8 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Hoopa-Unbound Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 348-411 (49.4 - 58.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

I truly, truly, and truly do not understand why is this monster in OU tier in the first place, especially with 160 Atk and 170 SpA. Keep in mind that if you don't carry these kinds of walls, someone in your team has to die every time this Hoopa-U switches in.

Purely my opinion, but just because this metagame follows OU banlist, that does not mean we should keep the mon's that overpowers the entire metagame with a new ability. OU council is stupid.

Last edited:

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Well, here's a team I used during recent CLC, made around the core of Buzz + Weavile and I went like 27-1 with it, basically utilizing the anti-meta nature of both the mons. It's actually turned out pretty decent ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Team ::
Buzzwole @ Choice Band
Ability: Tinted Lens
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Leech Life
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Tapu Fini @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 224 HP / 200 Def / 84 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Haze
- Moonblast
- Protect

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Refrigerate
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- U-turn
- Bolt Strike
- Frustration

Weavile @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash

Hippowdon @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Slack Off

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Heart Swap

Description ::
  • Team was basically built around tinted banded buzzwole which is just crazy strong, basically most switch-ins into Superpower not named doublade are just invalidated and Banded earthquake still 2hkoes doublade. Toxic is preferred on last slot to chip incoming intimidate buzzwoles and hippodowns whom this set can't break without chip damage. Adamant is preferred to 2hko incoming tapu finis irrespective of healing from PH.
  • So its partner in crime is the infamous weavile, with buzzwole luring fini + magearna, weavile suddenly becomes insanely dangerous. This team exploits the trapping tendency of weavile in general with a banded adaptability set. Since it threatens so much of the meta it just traps the hell out of noivern(KOes it), lando-t(does 91), Hoopa(lol), Volcarona (lol) and even xurkitree. I'll post some replays in which you can see how insanely good this set is right now with fast, frail wall-breakers roaming around.
  • Coming to support, Hippo with intimidate is crazy bulky and literally switches on almost every physical attacker, and levitate spdef invested magearna supports it by doing the same with special attackers. Levitate is especially interesting since it removes this team's inherent weakness to mamoswine since I am using Hiippo as a physical wall and buzz isn't bulky enough to handle it anymore. Also heart swap is useful in general against stuff like tail glow manaphy since it avoids the 2hko from +3 scald. Tho it misses the bulk from AV, but since it is mostly a pivot so works mostly.
  • Then we have a relatively fast fini as a defogger and it creeps those uninvested PH zygardes, opposing PH finis and stuff like golisopod for a fast haze. And finally to round it off we have good ol Scarf Victini tho with refridgerate here, since I like a strong ice coverage on tini even though it could easily be changed to mold breaker or Desolate Island.

Replays ::

I'm sure a lot of garchmops and landorus will try to earthquake your Magearna. So maybe you can fit Ice Beam somewhere into its moveset to punish them?
0 SpA Magearna Fleur Cannon vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 402-474 (112.2 - 132.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Magearna Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 372-440 (103.9 - 122.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

:thinking:

Stab is a thing you know / and they can't really touch you either way so you're punishing them already.

Well, here's a team I used during recent CLC, made around the core of Buzz + Weavile and I went like 27-1 with it, basically utilizing the anti-meta nature of both the mons. It's actually turned out pretty decent ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Team ::
Buzzwole @ Choice Band
Ability: Tinted Lens
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Leech Life
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Tapu Fini @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 224 HP / 200 Def / 84 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Haze
- Moonblast
- Protect

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Refrigerate
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- U-turn
- Bolt Strike
- Frustration

Weavile @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash

Hippowdon @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Slack Off

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Heart Swap

Description ::
  • Team was basically built around tinted banded buzzwole which is just crazy strong, basically most switch-ins into Superpower not named doublade are just invalidated and Banded earthquake still 2hkoes doublade. Toxic is preferred on last slot to chip incoming intimidate buzzwoles and hippodowns whom this set can't break without chip damage. Adamant is preferred to 2hko incoming tapu finis irrespective of healing from PH.
  • So its partner in crime is the infamous weavile, with buzzwole luring fini + magearna, weavile suddenly becomes insanely dangerous. This team exploits the trapping tendency of weavile in general with a banded adaptability set. Since it threatens so much of the meta it just traps the hell out of noivern(KOes it), lando-t(does 91), Hoopa(lol), Volcarona (lol) and even xurkitree. I'll post some replays in which you can see how insanely good this set is right now with fast, frail wall-breakers roaming around.
  • Coming to support, Hippo with intimidate is crazy bulky and literally switches on almost every physical attacker, and levitate spdef invested magearna supports it by doing the same with special attackers. Levitate is especially interesting since it removes this team's inherent weakness to mamoswine since I am using Hiippo as a physical wall and buzz isn't bulky enough to handle it anymore. Also heart swap is useful in general against stuff like tail glow manaphy since it avoids the 2hko from +3 scald. Tho it misses the bulk from AV, but since it is mostly a pivot so works mostly.
  • Then we have a relatively fast fini as a defogger and it creeps those uninvested PH zygardes, opposing PH finis and stuff like golisopod for a fast haze. And finally to round it off we have good ol Scarf Victini tho with refridgerate here, since I like a strong ice coverage on tini even though it could easily be changed to mold breaker or Desolate Island.

Replays ::
in that last replay, why did victini's v-create do only 22% against the mandibuzz? Its not as if its fur coat or anything lol.. What is it? heatproof?

Thoughts on Mega Launcher Dark/Water Pulse Greninja?

Its pretty rediculous in Hackmons with Origin Pulse and Specs, (And when I can get dat rain support) but it seems fun here, too. I just am too overwhelmed with allergy-vased ennui to actually see if its not shit.

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
Thoughts on Mega Launcher Dark/Water Pulse Greninja?

Its pretty rediculous in Hackmons with Origin Pulse and Specs, (And when I can get dat rain support) but it seems fun here, too. I just am too overwhelmed with allergy-vased ennui to actually see if its not shit.
Greninja's only niche is Protean which gives it a STAB boost on everything that mediates its low offensive stats. Yes, Greninja will have strong dual STAB with Mega Launcher but will not be efficient attacker if it has to use stuff like Ice Bean and Grass Knot without stuff like Life Orb. Why not try it on stuff like Hoopa-U or Dark types ith much better base stats.

Greninja's only niche is Protean which gives it a STAB boost on everything that mediates its low offensive stats. Yes, Greninja will have strong dual STAB with Mega Launcher but will not be efficient attacker if it has to use stuff like Ice Bean and Grass Knot without stuff like Life Orb. Why not try it on stuff like Hoopa-U or Dark types ith much better base stats.
Yeah, I think I was using Ash-Greninja in hackmons- that's quite a difference even before Origin Pulse. But it could be a Special Tough Claws, in some regards- it needs more luff IMO. The greninja speed is rather nice, though, still.

But "Ice Bean" may be my typeo of the year.

Actually Greninja's speed is a big part of what makes it good. Protean just meant it could use its huge coverage instead of relying on its relatively low raw power, which kinda negates its main flaw.

Regarding mega launcher gren there's a few things to keep in mind:
1. Ash gren is garbage in hackmons
2. Ash gren gets origin pulse in hackmons
3. Mega launcher dank pulse hits about as hard as unboosted hydro pump
4. Every decent team has a hoopa answer
5. Magearna is a thing that's on p much every team
6. Water stab has way better neutral coverage in the meta and so would be preferred for any set that tries to hit hard
7. Primordial Sea gren can 2HKO av magearna in rain and provides the team with additional utility in weather control (quite important on offence)

I'll also add that Adaptability Gren is better than Mega Launcher because Adapt Hydro far superior to Water Pulse, and you can also use a boosted Shuriken.

Why is Metagross-Mega still allowed in AAA? if it is unbanned like Genesect or Lando-I, it should be added to the "unbans" Section in the OP, otherwise it should be banned.

Why is Metagross-Mega still allowed in AAA? if it is unbanned like Genesect or Lando-I, it should be added to the "unbans" Section in the OP, otherwise it should be banned.
Historically unbans had to be implemented manually, so what you got was "Ubers plus OU clauses minus most Ubers except Genesect". Nowadays I think the coding can be switched to "OU but Genesect is unbanned" which means that it would automatically track OU changes (except where specifically banned or unbanned of course).

What do you think about Flame Body Skarmory?

Skarmory @ Shed Shell / Rocky Helmet
Ability: Flame Body
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Roost
- Brave Bird

I tried it out in my last semistall team, and it allowed me to check stuff like Hoopa-U, Weavile and others which often run choiced or life-orbed sets without setup moves much more easily thanks to the burns they might receive.

Hyperspace Fury doesn't make contact? I thpught it does... :(
But still, there are lots of mons which don't like burns - and to be honest, I don't habe a moveslot for counter...

30% is only unreliable if you hope to get it on your first try, which is not the case with stall.

I've experienced a bit with flame body last gen, it can be decent on its own, for example I usually run iron defence skarmory with it and you can take on stuff that you normally couldn't like doublade, gyarados or swampert in rain, just by spamming recovery until the threat burns itself.
It's also really good against any uturn momentum grabber such as landorus, genesect or some shit.

But really where I think flame body shines is when you use it to complement another teammate. For example with the landorus example, imagine now that you pair it with a setup mon that is usually hard checked by landorus, such as say poison heal calm mind diancie or double dance focus blast / tbolt thundy-t. This allows you to essentially remove your check without actually doing anything besides waiting.

I've ran a couple flame body based teams last gen, one was a stall team centred around PH calm mind Blissey and Flame body skarmory, not the optimal core, but flame body meant I could easily get the burns on stuff like gale wing abusers or some fighting types, and then blissey could break through. The other one was a weird flame body suicune + unaware curselax and curselax becomes ridiculous to try and stop after your checks are burned (I made a post about that but I can't find it for shit idk why).
The common thing between the two teams is a solid defensive core, you need to be able to take hits, a lot of hits. 30% is only 30% if you get hit once, but if your skarmory is gonna take brave bird 10 or 20 times, it stops being hax, that's where flame body's niche lies.
Both teams had some success for the short period of time they stayed alive, but more importantly, they proved to me that flame body was actually not a hax reliant ability and that it could be made consistent and carve itself a viable niche in the meta.

A potential core that I've been meaning to toy around was PH snorlax + Flame body buzzwole. A lot of Snorlax' checks and counters are prone to burn and can't check it well if they are burned, stuff like opposing buzzwole, terrakion, doublade, skarmory, chesnaught. Defensive buzzwole can switch on all of them, and just recover off, rince, repeat. Buzzwole + Snorlax is a good start to a really solid defensive core already and buzzwole isn't particularly ability reliant to check most of those mons. The point here is too stall and survive until the snorlax counters get burned. It's not a matter of luck, it's just a matter of time.

Anyway I've wanted to make a long detailed post about flame body and how to use it, but never got around to it. So I guess this mediocre post will have to do. Try out flame body (maybe try out buzz + lax) see what you think, if you have good results or replays I'd love to see it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)