Monotype Alomomola (Water)

[OVERVIEW]

Alomomola's great HP, useful ability, and decent Defense give it high sustainability during a battle and allow it to be used as a good wall against physical attackers as well as a pivot. With Wish, Alomomola can take hits and heal itself or take advantage of Regenerator by switching out to heal both itself and another member of the team. Even though Alomomola has very low Special Defense, it can use viably Mirror Coat because of its huge HP stat. Therefore, it can take a super effective special attack and knock out a threat to the team, which is important because Alomomola is only prevalent on stall teams that do not have many ways to deal heavy damage to foes. On top of this, with moves such as Knock Off, Scald, and Toxic, it can reliably wear down teams with chip damage for the rest of your team to take advantage of late-game. As it only fits on stall teams and has no real offensive presence, it relies solely on chip damage and status to deal with its foes. With its lack of secondary typing, it cannot help its team deal with types that have an advantage over Water.

[SET]

name: Defensive Utility
move 1: Wish
move 2: Scald
move 3: Protect
move 4: Mirror Coat / Knock Off
item: Leftovers
ability: Regenerator
nature: Bold
evs: 8 HP / 252 Def / 248 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Wish is Alomomola's most important move, as it can keep Alomomola and its teammates healthy. Protect allows Alomomola to avoid damage after using Wish, keeping it healthy; it is also a good way to wear down poisoned foes and to gain Leftovers recovery. Protect also gives Alomomola a chance to scout a Pokemon's moveset and to see what move a Choice item user locks into. Scald is used more for its 30% chance of burning the opposition than for its damage. Alomomola uses Mirror Coat as a good way to beat Pokemon it lures in such as Mega Charizard Y and Latios. Knock Off is a reliable move for supporting the rest of the team, as having the ability to get rid of Choice Band and Choice Specs means that it is harder for opposing Pokemon to break a stall team. Removing Leftovers with Knock Off also allows Scald burns to have more effect on opposing Pokemon. Alomomola is the only defensive user of Knock Off, which means it is imperative that it makes good use of the move when on a pure stall team.

Set Details
========

Alomomola has very high sustainability due to Regenerator giving it the ability to switch into hard-hitting Pokemon multiple times, which is the main reason people use it on Water-type teams. Leftovers is a staple item on most stall Pokemon, as it means Alomomola can outlast other foes, especially with Protect granting it two turns of Leftovers recovery before switching out. Alomomola's HP and Special Defense EVs allow it to take special attacks from Rotom-W, Latios, and Mega Charizard Y to OHKO them back with Mirror Coat. This includes a Life Orb Latios's Draco Meteor after Stealth Rock damage. Alomomola's 252 Defense EVs with a Bold nature turn it into a giant physical wall, allowing it to tank hits from most neutral physical attacks. With this EV spread, it takes less than 50% from most physical threats, which allows it to safely use Wish and Protect, keeping it healthy and letting it get off the occasional Scald or Toxic to cripple the foe. The most notable Pokemon that Alomomola walls are Mega Lopunny and Life Orb Garchomp.

Usage Tips
========

When using Alomomola, make sure you switch it in and out as much as possible to take advantage of Regenerator. Note that it is fine to switch out Alomomola at low health, as it will get health back when you next switch it in; there is no need to use Wish to get Alomomola at high HP every time. An important part of using Alomomola as a lure is that you keep Mirror Coat hidden until you're certain that the foe will be attacking, as, once revealed, the opponent can easily play around it, making it a lot harder to use successfully. Make sure you use Alomomola as a pivot to heal up your team as much as possible as well as to check moves from Choice-locked Pokemon. The EV spread it has allows Alomomola to take Volt Switch from every Pokemon that uses it, so make sure you punish opposing pivots by using Mirror Coat on a Volt Switch. Be careful when using Wish and Protect with Alomomola, as it can quickly turn into setup fodder if you are not careful. Using Protect when a foe uses Calm Mind or Swords Dance could result in your loss. Make use of Knock Off early-game to remove items from Alomomola's switch-ins; a great example of this is Chansey and its Eviolite, although challenging Pokemon that wall Alomomola is not advised unless Alomomola is able to use Toxic or Knock Off as they switch in. Take advantage of Regenerator when firing off Scald; allowing Alomomola to get low on health to get a burn is okay if it can safely switch out afterwards. However, try to keep its health high if there is a special attacker that you wish to knock out with Mirror Coat.

Team Options
========

Toxapex is Alomomola's perfect teammate, as it can be given EVs that allow it to take more special attacks and also has Regenerator. This gives the team Toxic Spikes and a Regenerator core, allowing you to cripple the opponent's team without using any moves, with Toxapex's access to Haze also stopping any setup Pokemon from sweeping. Toxapex also has the ability to switch into Grass-types. Alomomola's access to Wish gives it good synergy with bulky Water-types such as Mantine, which is a reliable Defogger that can take special hits and Grass-type attacks for safe Defog. You could even use Lanturn for its safe Heal Bell. Lanturn's immunity to Electric-type attacks and Sap Sipper Azumarill's immunity to Grass-type attacks allow them to be great teammates for Alomomola. Alomomola pairs well with another physical wall in Quagsire, as it allows Alomomola to use Toxic, Knock Off, or Scald to hinder setup Pokemon while having the safety net of Quagsire's Unaware ability if they get out of hand. Another notable Pokemon that can be paired with Alomomola is Tapu Fini, which can break through other defensive Pokemon with Taunt and Nature's Madness, although Misty Terrain does stop status from Alomomola. Mega Slowbro can set up and sweep late-game after Alomomola has crippled the team with Knock Off and status conditions. Lastly, Suicune can PP stall Pokemon without worrying about being too low on HP, as Alomomola can use Wish to give Suicune health back.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Alomomola can take advantage of having Rocky Helmet instead of Leftovers, as recovery is not always needed with Regenerator. Fully physically defensive Alomomola will benefit more from this, as it can also run Toxic and Knock Off instead of Mirror Coat to much more efficiently check physical attackers if you have a wall for special attackers already. Another EV spread of 88 HP / 168 Def / 252 SpD and a Calm nature can be viably used for a specially defensive Alomomola, which is able to always survive a Life Orb Tapu Koko's Volt Switch and Xurkitree's unboosted Thunderbolt, allowing it to safely use Mirror Coat. With a different, even more specially defensive EV spread of 100 HP / 156 Def / 252 SpD and a Calm nature, Alomomola can survive a +2 Psychic Terrain-boosted Psychic from Mew.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Electric-types**: Electric-types such as Xurkitree are able to fully set up on Alomomola. The Special Defense EVs will not help Alomomola survive many STAB Thunderbolts.

**Grass-types**: Grass-types such as Choice Band Tapu Bulu can get burned and still beat Alomomola one-on-one with Horn Leech and Grassy Terrain. Cradily has Storm Drain, which counters Alomomola unless you are using the Toxic set.

**Wallbreakers**: While Alomomola can beat a lot of physical attackers, some wallbreakers such as Choice Band Diggersby and Dragonite can run right through it. Z-Move users are also threatening, although Protect lets Alomomola take reduced damage. Burning them early-game makes for an easier time.

**Stallbreakers**: Any Pokemon that carries Taunt or Substitute as well as a setup move is the biggest threat to Alomomola. Taunt limits its recovery to just Leftovers and Regenerator, and Substitute negates the chance to burn with Scald. Stallbreakers that beat Alomomola include Gliscor, Mew, and Mega Sableye. Anything that carries Toxic can also cripple Alomomola.

**Setup Sweepers**: Setup Pokemon with Swords Dance, Bulk Up, Calm Mind, Quiver Dance, or Nasty Plot are huge issues for Alomomola, especially special attackers such as Volcarona and Mew.

**Status**: Alomomola's recovery takes two turns to use, so status conditions such as paralysis can stop Alomomola from being able to safely restore HP. Toxic usually forces Alomomola out, often before it can use Wish. As it takes two turns to heal, Alomomola has to deal with two turns of poison damage when healing.

Last edited:
AM Check
Overview:
  • Add that it only really fits on stall teams
* Alomomola's greatest role is acting as a pivot, taking physical hits and passing on wishes to teammates.
  • I'm pretty sure summary sentences which don't give any new information aren't allowed
Moves:
  • Re-order the moves to match their order on the set
  • Add Toxic and Knock Off as options over Mirror Coat
  • Add that Scald is the only move that sort of helps with its passive nature
  • Talk about how well Wish works with Protect
"Sending wishes to teammates, scouting damage and calcing spreads, keeping itself healthy."
  • I would change that to scouting sets and put it under something Wish + Protect can safely do
Set Details:

* Leftovers is used on this set to outlast other opponents. Using Mirror Coat usually means that in order for Alomomola to efficiently kill special attackers it must take a fair bit of damage, leftovers with Protect usually allows it to gain a fair bit of HP back before switching out and getting its Regenerator boost overall giving Alomomola even higher sustain.
  • The entire Mirror Coat part is just unnecessary. Just say that Leftovers works well with Protect.
"Notable calc from this spread is that Banded Excadrill does 50.7% maximum roll which is not a 2HKO after Leftovers."

252+ Atk Choice Band Excadrill Earthquake vs. 64 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 229-271 (47 - 55.6%) -- 20.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • Give some more examples of physical Pokemon Alomomola can check

Usage Tips:

* Make sure you calculate to make sure Alomomola's Regenerator always brings it back in on a healthy amount of HP.
  • This seems kind of unnecessary too. Instead you can add that it's fine to switch Alomomola out even when it's damaged since Regenerator will heal it anyway. As a result, there's no need to use Wish to keep Alomomola at full health before switching out.
Team Options:

• Mantine can also check special attackers like Mega Alakazam
  • Azumarill's Perish Song also beats things that want to use Alomomola as setup bait like Manaphy
  • Would you really pair Alomomola with Keldeo, Sharpedo, Kingdra, or Gyarados? I'd at least remove Kingdra from that list. Also add that they appreciate Alomomola's Knock Off support
Rest seems fine but you really need to read up on the grammar standards http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/spelling-and-grammar-standards.3588427/

AM Check
Overview:
  • Add that it only really fits on stall teams
* Alomomola's greatest role is acting as a pivot, taking physical hits and passing on wishes to teammates.
  • I'm pretty sure summary sentences which don't give any new information aren't allowed
Moves:
  • Re-order the moves to match their order on the set
  • Add Toxic and Knock Off as options over Mirror Coat
  • Add that Scald is the only move that sort of helps with its passive nature
  • Talk about how well Wish works with Protect
"Sending wishes to teammates, scouting damage and calcing spreads, keeping itself healthy."
  • I would change that to scouting sets and put it under something Wish + Protect can safely do
Set Details:

* Leftovers is used on this set to outlast other opponents. Using Mirror Coat usually means that in order for Alomomola to efficiently kill special attackers it must take a fair bit of damage, leftovers with Protect usually allows it to gain a fair bit of HP back before switching out and getting its Regenerator boost overall giving Alomomola even higher sustain.
  • The entire Mirror Coat part is just unnecessary. Just say that Leftovers works well with Protect.
"Notable calc from this spread is that Banded Excadrill does 50.7% maximum roll which is not a 2HKO after Leftovers."

252+ Atk Choice Band Excadrill Earthquake vs. 64 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 229-271 (47 - 55.6%) -- 20.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • Give some more examples of physical Pokemon Alomomola can check

Usage Tips:

* Make sure you calculate to make sure Alomomola's Regenerator always brings it back in on a healthy amount of HP.
  • This seems kind of unnecessary too. Instead you can add that it's fine to switch Alomomola out even when it's damaged since Regenerator will heal it anyway. As a result, there's no need to use Wish to keep Alomomola at full health before switching out.
Team Options:

• Mantine can also check special attackers like Mega Alakazam
  • Azumarill's Perish Song also beats things that want to use Alomomola as setup bait like Manaphy
  • Would you really pair Alomomola with Keldeo, Sharpedo, Kingdra, or Gyarados? I'd at least remove Kingdra from that list. Also add that they appreciate Alomomola's Knock Off support
Rest seems fine but you really need to read up on the grammar standards http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/spelling-and-grammar-standards.3588427/
As this is my old skeleton I was working on at the start of the Gen 7 meta there was bound to be a few mistakes. I forgot to edit the Excadrill calc after I changed the sets EV spread.

Agreed with and added all your suggested changes. The grammar note you added baffles me a little as I did check that thread and thought that I did everything that they asked for.

As for your post on PS about sustain. In England I believe sustain stands for a mixture of longevity and support or at least can be used in that context.

Overview:
- Note that Alomomola's pure Water typing brings no defensive support to the team.

Set:
- Changing your spread. The HP and Special Defense EVs guarantee that Alomomola survives an unboosted Twinkle Tackle from Shift Gear Magearna along with Life Orb Latios's Draco Meteor after Stealth Rock damage.
- Toxic is pretty terrible, since many other teammates can use that. Not many can use Knock Off.

Name: Defensive Utility
Move 1: Wish
Move 2: Scald
Move 3: Protect
Move 4: Mirror Coat / Knock Off
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Nature: Bold
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Def / 248 SpD

Moves:
- Move Toxic to Other Options.
- Explain Knock Off (notably that it is one of the only defensive users of it)

Set Details:
- Change EV explanation.
- Regarding a more specially defensive spread, move that to Other Options.

Usage Tips:
- Duplicate line:
* Take advantage of Alomomola's ability each game by switching it in as much as possible against physical Pokemon.
* Make sure you switch Alomomola in and out as much as possible to take advantage of its Regenerator ability. It is fine to switch Alomomola out even when it is low as it will come in on higher health so there is no need to Wish itself to full first.

- Remove the line about Mirror Coat against Dark-types. It's unnecessary.
- Talk about scouting with Protect.

Team Options:
- Toxapex: first, you say "also" like 5 times. Don't. Second, definitely talk about physically defensive, which can sort of switch into Choice Scarf Tapu Bulu.
- I agree with Izaya on using Alomomola with Keldeo, Sharpedo, and Gyarados. There are too many defensive options that can also stallbreak this generation to really justify their usage anymore.

Other Options:
- Other spread: 100 / 156 / 252 + Calm. It avoids Psychic Terrain-boosted +2 Mew's Psychic (assumes Genesis Supernova was already used).
- +Toxic

Checks and Counters:
- +Status. When Alomomola's recovery takes two turns, paralysis can rear its ugly head at the worst possible times. Toxic poison wears Alomomola down and forces it to switch out often, often without healing with Wish first.

Nice work QC 1/3

All changes made. (When I first did this set I made it more specially defensive and was told to make it less of a special wall and more physical.)

[OVERVIEW]

* Alomomola has good physical defense and lack lustre Special defense but great HP.
- Just talk about its positive aspects first, talk about its lacking Special Defense later.

Moves

* Knock Off is used to get rid of the opposing teams items, giving breakers on the team more freedom. It is good on Alomomola as it is one of the only defensive users of it.
- Specify 'on Water teams' because it seems somewhat vague without it.

Set Details

* 252 Defense with a Bold nature allows for Alomomola to tank most of the neutral match ups physical hits. This defensive spread makes sure a lot of Physical hits so less than 50% in order to allow Alomomola to Wish/Protect with out dying and being able to get in Scalds every now and then. Notable checks include Life Orb Garchomp and Mega Lopunny.
- Mention that this is usually not as important as the other set because of how big a threat Magearna is.

QC 2/3

terrors implemented changes although the last part
* 252 Defense with a Bold nature allows for Alomomola to tank most of the neutral match ups physical hits. This defensive spread makes sure a lot of Physical hits so less than 50% in order to allow Alomomola to Wish/Protect with out dying and being able to get in Scalds every now and then. Notable checks include Life Orb Garchomp and Mega Lopunny.
- Mention that this is usually not as important as the other set because of how big a threat Magearna is.
didn't make sense to me as the bold spread with EVs mentioned in the spread already took on magearna but changed nonetheless.

Ohhh I didn't see the notification from this post, I'm busy friday/saturday but I'll try and get it done Sunday if I can.

Eien Misaka Mikoto I have finally wrote it up, sorry for how long it took.

My next one of these I do will definitely be of a Pokemon with a shorter name. Writing Alomomola over and over again is not fun.

'As it only fits on stall teams and has no real offensive it relies solely on chip damage and status to deal with its foes and with it just being a pure Water type it has no extra support to the team dealing with super effective teams.'
- You should split this sentence into two- one about no offensive presence and the other about its pure Water typing.

Set Details
- Remove mentions of Toxic from moves. You don't need to mention why Scald burns are more useful than Toxic or why Toxic can be used over Mirror Coat when Toxic is an OO

Team Options:
- Mention that Toxapex and Mantine can switch into Grass-types
'Lanturn's immunity to Electric attacks allows it for a great teammate for Alomomola as well as Azumarill as it has access to Sap Sipper.'
- what does this mean

Checks and Counters:
'There are generally less physically offensive Electric-Type Pokemon used.'
Does this really matter that much when the only used physical Electric-type beats Alomomola anyway?

The content is pretty fine. My main issue is how a lot of sentences are awkwardly worded and unnecessarily long and complex
QC 3/3

Izaya ty, made all changes.

You were right about the awkwardly worded sentence about Azu and Lanturn, changed it so it made sense!

Is awkwardly worded and unnecessarily long and complex better than plagiarised from the OU analysis? :^]

autumn

only i will remain
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
C&C Leader
amcheck, feel free to implement what you agree with but this isn't an official check.

add remove comments

[OVERVIEW]

Alomomola's great HP, useful (or another similar adjective. adding this means that the next statement won't read as "great decent defense") ability, (AC) and decent Defense gives it high sustainability during a battle and allows it to be used as a good wall against physical attackers as well as a pivot. With Wish, (AC) Alomomola can take hits and heal itself or take advantage of its Regenerator ability by switching out to heal itself and heal up another member of the team. Even though Alomomola has a very low Special Defense stat, it can take advantage of using the move Mirror Coat as part of its set because of the huge HP stat it has. Therefore, (AC) it can take a super effective special attack and knock out a threat to the team, which is important as Alomomola is only prevalent on stall teams that do not have many ways to deal heavy damage to opponents foes. On top of this, (AC) with moves such as Knock Off, Scald, (AC) and Toxic, (AC) it can reliably wear down teams with chip damage, (AC) crippling them for the rest of your team to take advantage later in the of late-(AH)game. As it only fits on stall teams and has no real offensive presence, (AC) it relies solely on chip damage and status to deal with its foes. With Alomomola just being a pure Water-(AH)type, (AC) it has no extra support to the team dealing with super effective types.

[SET]

move 4: Mirror Coat/Knock Off

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Overall, (AC) Wish is Alomomola's most important move, sending wished as it can use Wish and pass to teammates and or keep keeping itself healthy, (RC) (period). This paired with Protect allows Alomomola to not take avoid damage after Wish and keeps it healthy,(RC) ;(semicolon) it is also a good way to wear down the team after it Alomomola is poisoned and to gain Leftovers recovery. Alomomola's use of Protect also gives it a chance to scout a Pokemon's moveset and to lock a choiced Pokemon with a Choice item into a certain move. Alomomola's STAB Scald is used more for the 30% chance of burning the opposition rather than the damage. Alomomola uses Mirror Coat as a good way to beat Pokemon it lures in Pokemon (the pokemon is the lure, the move that koes is not) such as Mega Charizard Y and Latios. Knock Off is a reliable move for supporting the rest of the team, as having the ability to get rid of Choice Band and Choice Specs on Pokemon means that it is harder for them to break a stall team. Knocking off Removing Leftovers with Knock Off allows Scald burns to have more effect on the opposing Pokemon too, plus. (period) Alomomola being is the only defensive user of Knock Off, (AC) which means in a full stall team it is imperative that Alomomola it makes good use of it the move.

Set Details
========

Alomomola has very high sustainability because of its ability due to Regenerator, giving itself multiple switch-ins to heavy hitting Pokemon, (AC) which is the main reason people use it on Water-type teams. Having the item Leftovers is usually a staple item on most stall Pokemon, (AC) as it means Alomomola can outlast other opponents foes, (AC) especially as it has with having Protect as part of its set. (period) It gets getting two turns of Leftovers recovery before switching out to keep the most its HP as high as possible. Giving Alomomola the EV spread of 8 HP and 248 SpD allows it to take special attacks from Rotom-W (assuming rotom-w, change if not), Latios, (AC) and Mega Charizard Y whilst OHKOing them back with Mirror Coat. This includes a Life Orb Latios's Draco Meteor after Stealth Rocks damage. Alomomola's 252 Defense EVs with a Bold nature turns it into a giant physical wall, allowing it to tank hits from most neutral physical attacks. (period) With this EV spread, (AC) it takes less than 50% from most physical threats, (AC) which allows Alomomola to safely use Wish and Protect, (AC) keeping it healthy and letting Alomomola get off the occasional Scald or Toxic to cripple the opponent foe. The most notable Pokemon that Alomomola walls are Mega Lopunny and Life Orb Garchomp.

Usage Tips
========

When using Alomomola, (AC) make sure you switch it in and out as much as possible to take advantage of its Regenerator ability. (period) Keep note that it is fine to switch out Alomomola at low health, (AC) as it will get 33% of its (dex info for regen) health back when you next switch it in, (RC) so there is no need to use Wish to get yourself Alomomola to high HP every (space) time. An important part of using Alomomola as a lure is that you keep Mirror Coat hidden as much as possible until you're 100% sure the opponent foe will be attacking you, as, (AC) once revealed, (AC) the opponent can easily play around it, making it a lot harder to pull off. Make sure you use Alomomola as a pivot to healing up your teams as much as possible, (AC) as well as just using it as a pivot to check moves from Choice-locked Pokemon. The EV spread Alomomola has allows it take Volt Switches from every Pokemon that uses it, (RC) so make sure you punish opposing pivots by using Mirror Coat on an opposing Volt Switch. Be careful when using Wish and Protect with Alomomola though, (AC) as it can quickly turn into set(remove space)up fodder if you are not careful. Using Protect on a Calm Mind or Swords Dance could be the end of your game. You will want to make sure you make use of Knock Off early-(AH)game and help take away items from Alomomola's switch-(AH)ins, a great example of this is Chansey and its Eviolite, although challenging walls of Alomomola is not advised unless it is to use Toxic or Knock Off on the switch-(AH)in. Take advantage of Regenerator when firing off Scalds, as allowing Alomomola yourself to get low on health to get a burn is OK okay if you it can safely switch out afterwards. Although However, (AC) be weary wary of keeping your its health high if there is a special attacking threat you wish to knock out with Mirror Coat.

Team Options
========

Toxapex is Alomomola's perfect teammate, (AC) as it can be EV'd given EVs that allow it to take more special attacks and also has Regenerator. (period) This gives giving the team Toxic Spikes and a Regenerator core, (AC) allowing you to cripple the team whilst not using any moves, as well as with Toxapex's access to Haze stopping any set(remove space)-(AH)up Pokemon from sweeping. Toxapex also has the ability to switch into Grass-types. Alomomola's access to Wish gives it good synergy with bulky Water-types such as Mantine for safe Defogs, taking special hits as well as taking hits from Grass-types. (period) You could or even going use Lanturn for safe Heal Bells. Lanturn's immunity to Electric-type attacks and Sap Sipper Azumarill's immunity to Grass-type attacks allows them to be great teammates for Alomomola. Alomomola pairs well with another physical wall in Quagsire, (AC) as it allows Alomomola to use Toxic, Knock Off or Scald to burn set(remove space)-(AH)up Pokemon and haveing the safety net of Quagsire's Unaware ability if it gets they get out of hand. Another notable Pokemon to be paired with Alomomola are is (you only gave one example after this point) Tapu Fini, although Misty Terrain does stop status abuse from Alomomola. (period) Tapu Fini can break other stall Pokemon that threaten to out(remove space)stall your team with Taunt and Nature's (apostrophe) Madness. Mega Slowbro can also set up and sweep late-(AH)game after Alomomola has crippled the team with Knock Off and status conditions. Lastly, (AC) Suicune can PP stall Pokemon without worrying about being too low on HP, (AC) as Alomomola can use Wish, (AC) giving Suicune health back.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Alomomola can take advantage of having Rocky Helmet as instead of having Leftovers, (AC) as recovery is not 100% always needed with the ability Regenerator. Fully physically defensive Alomomola will benefit more from this, (AC) as it can also run Toxic and Knock Off instead of Mirror Coat to efficiently check physical attackers a lot better if you have a wall for special attackers already. Another EV spread of 88 / 168 / 252 and a Calm nature can be viably used for a specially defensive Alomomola, (AC) instead being which is able to live survive a Life Orb Tapu Koko's Volt Switch every time and Xurkitree's unboosted Thunderbolt, (AC) allowing it to safely Mirror Coat the opponent foe. With a different, (AC) even more specially defensive EV spread of 100 / 156 / 252 and a Calm nature, (AC) Alomomola can live survive a +2 Psychic Terrain-(AH)boosted Psychic from Mew.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Electric-Types**: Electric-types such as Xurkitree are able to fully set up on Alomomola. The Special Defense EVs will not help Alomomola survive live many uses of STAB Thunderbolts.

**Grass-Types**: Grass-types such as Choice Band Tapu Bulu can get burned and still beat Alomomola one-on-one 1v1 with Horn Leech and Grassy Terrain. Cradily has Storm Drain, (AC) which to counters it unless you are using the Toxic set.

**Wall(remove space)breakers**: Whilst Alomomola can beat a lot of physical attackers, some wall-(RH)breakers such as Choice Banded Diggersby or and Dragonite can run right through Alomomola. Z-Moves are also threatening, (AC) although the use of Protect lets Alomomola take reduced damage. Burning them early-game on allows for an easier time.

**Stall(remove space)breakers**: Any Pokemon that carries Taunt/ Taunt or Substitute and as well as a set(remove space)up move is the biggest threat to Alomomola. This Taunt limits its recovery to just Leftovers and Regenerator, (AC) as well as and Substitute loses losing the chance to burn with Scald. Examples of Stall(remove space)breakers that beat Alomomola include;(remove semicolon) Gliscor, Mew, (AC) and Mega Sableye. Anything that carries Toxic can also cripple Alomomola. (period)

**Set(remove space)up Sweepers**: Following on from Substitute users, (not really relevant/linked) Set(remove space)-(AH)up Pokemon with Swords Dance, Bulk Up, (AC) or Calm Mind.(remove period)(AC), (not sure why the same list is separated) Quiver Dance, (AC) and Nasty Plot are a huge issue for Alomomola, especially the special attacking set(remove space)-(AH)up Pokemon such as Volcarona and Mew.

**Status**: Alomomola's recovery takes two turns to use, (AC) therefore status conditions such as paralysis can stop Alomomola from being able to use Wish or Protect. Toxic usually forces Alomomola out, (AC) often without being able to use Wish first. As it takes two turns to heal, (AC) Alomomola has to deal with two turns of poison damage whilst healing.

I'd normally stamp marthaa's check, but this is so error-ridden that I'll instead tell you to implement her check so I can finish the job for 1/2. Just note that where she corrects "set up" to "set-up," it should actually be "setup."

GP 1/2
remove add

[OVERVIEW]

Alomomola's great HP, useful ability, and decent Defense give it high sustainability during a battle and allow it to be used as a good wall against physical attackers as well as a pivot. With Wish, Alomomola can take hits and heal itself or take advantage of Regenerator by switching out to heal both itself and heal up another member of the team. Even though Alomomola has a very low Special Defense stat, it can take advantage of using the move use Mirror Coat as part of its set because of the its huge HP stat it has. Therefore, it can take a super effective special attack and knock out a threat to the team, which is important as because Alomomola is only prevalent on stall teams that do not have many ways to deal heavy damage to foes. On top of this, with moves such as Knock Off, Scald, and Toxic, it can reliably wear down teams with chip damage, (comma) crippling them for the rest of your team to take advantage of late-game. As it only fits on stall teams and has no real offensive presence, it relies solely on chip damage and status to deal with its foes. With Alomomola it just being a pure Water-type, it has no extra support to the team dealing with super effective types cannot help its team deal with types that have an advantage over Water.

[SET]

move 4: Mirror Coat(space)/(space)Knock Off

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Overall, Wish is Alomomola's most important move, as it can use Wish and pass to teammates or keep itself keep Alomomola and its teammates healthy. This paired with Protect allows Alomomola to avoid damage after using Wish, (comma) keeping and keeps it healthy; it is also a good way to wear down the team after the foe's team is poisoned foes and to gain Leftovers recovery. Alomomola's use of Protect also gives it Alomomola a chance to scout a Pokemon's moveset and to lock a Pokemon with a Choice item into a certain move see what move a Choice item user locks into. Alomomola's STAB Scald is used more for the its 30% chance of burning the opposition rather than the for its damage. Alomomola uses Mirror Coat as a good way to beat Pokemon it lures in such as Mega Charizard Y and Latios. Knock Off is a reliable move for supporting the rest of the team, as having the ability to get rid of Choice Band and Choice Specs on Pokemon means that it is harder for them to break a stall team. Removing Leftovers with Knock Off allows Scald burns to have more effect on the opposing Pokemon. Alomomola is the only defensive user of Knock Off, which means in a full stall team it is imperative that it makes good use of the move when on a pure stall team.

Set Details
========

Alomomola has very high sustainability due too Regenerator, (comma) giving itself multiple switch-ins to heavy hitting Pokemon it the ability to switch into hard-hitting Pokemon multiple times, which is the main reason people use it on Water-type teams. Leftovers is usually a staple item on most stall Pokemon, as it means Alomomola can outlast other foes, especially as it has with Protect as part of its set.It gets granting it two turns of Leftovers recovery before switching out to keep its HP as high as possible. Giving Alomomola the EV spread of 8 HP and 248 SpD allows Alomomola's HP and Special Defense EVs allow it to take special attacks from Rotom-W, Latios, and Mega Charizard Y whilst to OHKOing them back with Mirror Coat. This includes a Life Orb Latios's Draco Meteor after Stealth Rock damage. Alomomola's 252 Defense EVs with a Bold nature turn it into a giant physical wall, allowing it to tank hits from most neutral physical attacks. With this EV spread, it takes less than 50% from most physical threats, which allows Alomomola it to safely use Wish and Protect, keeping it healthy and letting Alomomola it get off the occasional Scald or Toxic to cripple the foe. The most notable Pokemon that Alomomola walls are Mega Lopunny and Life Orb Garchomp.

Usage Tips
========

When using Alomomola, make sure you switch it in and out as much as possible to take advantage of Regenerator. Keep Note that it is fine to switch out Alomomola at low health, as it will get health back when you next switch it in; (semi) so there is no need to use Wish to get Alomomola to high HP every time. An important part of using Alomomola as a lure is that you keep Mirror Coat hidden until you're 100% sure certain that the foe will be attacking you, as, once revealed, the opponent can easily play around it, making it a lot harder to pull off use successfully. Make sure you use Alomomola as a pivot to heal up your team as much as possible, (comma) as well as using it as a pivot to check moves from Choice-locked Pokemon. The EV spread Alomomola has allows it take Volt Switch from every Pokemon that uses it, (comma) so make sure you punish opposing pivots by using Mirror Coat on an opposing Volt Switch. Be careful when using Wish and Protect with Alomomola though, as it can quickly turn into setup fodder if you are not careful. Using Protect on a when a foe uses Calm Mind or Swords Dance could be the end of your game result in your loss. You will want to make sure you Make use of Knock Off early-game and help take away to remove items from Alomomola's switch-ins,; (semi) a great example of this is Chansey and its Eviolite, although challenging walls of Pokemon that wall Alomomola is not advised unless it Alomomola is to use Toxic or Knock Off on the switch-in as they switch in. Take advantage of Regenerator when firing off Scald,; (semi) allowing Alomomola to get low on health to get a burn is okay if it can safely switch out afterwards. However, (comma) try to keep be wary of keeping its health high if there is a special attacking threat attacker that you wish to knock out with Mirror Coat.

Team Options
========

Toxapex is Alomomola's perfect teammate, as it can be given EVs that allow it to take more special attacks and also has Regenerator. This gives the team Toxic Spikes and a Regenerator core, allowing you to cripple the opponent's team whilst not without using any moves, as well as Toxapex's access to Haze stopping any setup Pokemon from sweeping. Toxapex also has the ability to switch into Grass-types. Alomomola's access to Wish gives it good synergy with bulky Water-types such as Mantine, (comma) which is a reliable Defogger that can take special hits and Grass-type attacks for safe Defog, taking special hits as well as taking hits from Grass-types. You could even use Lanturn for its safe Heal Bell. Lanturn's immunity to Electric-type attacks and Sap Sipper Azumarill's immunity to Grass-type attacks allow them to be great teammates for Alomomola. Alomomola pairs well with another physical wall in Quagsire, as it allows Alomomola to use Toxic, Knock Off, (comma) or Scald to burn hinder setup Pokemon and have while having the safety net of Quagsire's Unaware ability if they get out of hand. Another notable Pokemon to that can be paired with Alomomola is Tapu Fini, which can break through other defensive Pokemon with Taunt and Nature's Madness, although Misty Terrain does stop status from Alomomola. Tapu Fini can break other stall Pokemon that threaten to outstall your team with Taunt and Nature's Madness. Mega Slowbro can also set up and sweep late-game after Alomomola has crippled the team with Knock Off and status conditions. Lastly, Suicune can PP stall Pokemon without worrying about being too low on HP, as Alomomola can use Wish, (comma) giving to give Suicune health back.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Alomomola can take advantage of having Rocky Helmet instead of having Leftovers, as recovery is not always needed with the ability Regenerator. Fully physically defensive Alomomola will benefit more from this, as it can also run Toxic and Knock Off instead of Mirror Coat to much more efficiently check physical attackers a lot better if you have a wall for special attackers already. Another EV spread of 88 HP /(space)168 Def / 252 SpD and a Calm nature can be viably used for a specially defensive Alomomola, which is able to always survive a Life Orb Tapu Koko's Volt Switch every time and Xurkitree's unboosted Thunderbolt, allowing it to safely use Mirror Coat the foe. With a different, even more specially defensive EV spread of 100 HP / 156 Def / 252 SpD and a Calm nature, Alomomola can survive a +2 Psychic Terrain-boosted Psychic from Mew.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Electric-types**: Electric-types such as Xurkitree are able to fully set up on Alomomola. The Special Defense EVs will not help Alomomola survive many uses of STAB Thunderbolts.

**Grass-types**: Grass-types such as Choice Band Tapu Bulu can get burned and still beat Alomomola one-on-one with Horn Leech and Grassy Terrain. Cradily has Storm Drain, which makes it a counters unless you are using the Toxic set.

**Wallbreakers**: Whilst While Alomomola can beat a lot of physical attackers, some wallbreakers such as Choice Band Diggersby and Dragonite can run right through Alomomola it. Z-Moves users are also threatening, although the use of Protect lets Alomomola take reduced damage. Burning them early-game allows for an easier time.

**Stallbreakers**: Any Pokemon that carries Taunt or Substitute as well as a setup move is the biggest threat to Alomomola. Taunt limits its recovery to just Leftovers and Regenerator, and Substitute loses negates the chance to burn with Scald. Stallbreakers that beat Alomomola include Gliscor, Mew, and Mega Sableye. Anything that carries Toxic can also cripple Alomomola.

**Setup Sweepers**: Setup Pokemon with Swords Dance, Bulk Up, Calm Mind, Quiver Dance, and or Nasty Plot are a huge issues for Alomomola, especially special attacking setup Pokemon attackers such as Volcarona and Mew.

**Status**: Alomomola's recovery takes two turns to use, therefore so status conditions such as paralysis can stop Alomomola from being able to use Wish or Protect safely restore HP. Toxic usually forces Alomomola out, often without being able to use Wish first before it can use Wish. As it takes two turns to heal, Alomomola has to deal with two turns of poison damage whilst when healing.

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Alomomola's great HP, useful ability, and decent Defense give it high sustainability during a battle and allow it to be used as a good wall against physical attackers as well as a pivot. With Wish, Alomomola can take hits and heal itself or take advantage of Regenerator by switching out to heal both itself and another member of the team. Even though Alomomola has very low Special Defense, it can viably use Mirror Coat as part of its set because of its huge HP stat. Therefore, it can take a super effective special attack and knock out a threat to the team, which is important because Alomomola is only prevalent on stall teams that do not have many ways to deal heavy damage to foes. On top of this, with moves such as Knock Off, Scald, and Toxic, it can reliably wear down teams with chip damage for the rest of your team to take advantage of late-game. As it only fits on stall teams and has no real offensive presence, it relies solely on chip damage and status to deal with its foes. With it just being a pure Water-type, ("with its lack of a secondary typing" if you prefer) it cannot help its team deal with types that have an advantage over Water..

[SET]
move 4: Mirror Coat / Knock Off

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Wish is Alomomola's most important move, as it can keep Alomomola and its teammates healthy. Protect allows Alomomola to avoid damage after using Wish, keeping it healthy; it is also a good way to wear down poisoned foes and to gain Leftovers recovery. Protect also gives Alomomola a chance to scout a Pokemon's moveset and to see what move a Choice item user locks into. Scald is used more for its 30% chance of burning the opposition than for its damage. Alomomola uses Mirror Coat as a good way to beat Pokemon it lures in such as Mega Charizard Y and Latios. Knock Off is a reliable move for supporting the rest of the team, as having the ability to get rid of Choice Band and Choice Specs on Pokemon means that it is harder for them opposing Pokemon to break a stall team. Removing Leftovers with Knock Off also allows Scald burns to have more effect on opposing Pokemon. Alomomola is the only defensive user of Knock Off, which means it is imperative that it makes good use of the move when on a pure stall team.

Set Details
========

Alomomola has very high sustainability due to Regenerator giving it the ability to switch into hard-hitting Pokemon multiple times, which is the main reason people use it on Water-type teams. Leftovers is a staple item on most stall Pokemon, as it means Alomomola can outlast other foes, especially with Protect granting it two turns of Leftovers recovery before switching out to keep its HP as high as possible. Alomomola's HP and Special Defense EVs allow it to take special attacks from Rotom-W, Latios, and Mega Charizard Y to OHKO them back with Mirror Coat. This includes a Life Orb Latios's Draco Meteor after Stealth Rock damage. Alomomola's 252 Defense EVs with a Bold nature turn it into a giant physical wall, allowing it to tank hits from most neutral physical attacks. With this EV spread, it takes less than 50% from most physical threats, which allows it to safely use Wish and Protect, keeping it healthy and letting it get off the occasional Scald or Toxic to cripple the foe. The most notable Pokemon that Alomomola walls are Mega Lopunny and Life Orb Garchomp.

Usage Tips
========

When using Alomomola, make sure you switch it in and out as much as possible to take advantage of Regenerator. Note that it is fine to switch out Alomomola at low health, as it will get health back when you next switch it in; there is no need to use Wish Alomomola to get Alomomola at high HP every time. An important part of using Alomomola as a lure is that you keep Mirror Coat hidden until you're certain that the foe will be attacking, as, once revealed, the opponent can easily play around it, making it a lot harder to use successfully. Make sure you use Alomomola as a pivot to heal up your team as much as possible as well as to check moves from Choice-locked Pokemon. The EV spread Alomomola has allows it Alomomola take Volt Switch from every Pokemon that uses it, so make sure you punish opposing pivots by using Mirror Coat on a Volt Switch. Be careful when using Wish and Protect with Alomomola, as it can quickly turn into setup fodder if you are not careful. Using Protect when a foe uses Calm Mind or Swords Dance could result in your loss. Make use of Knock Off early-game to remove items from Alomomola's switch-ins; a great example of this is Chansey and its Eviolite, although challenging Pokemon that wall Alomomola is not advised unless Alomomola is able to use Toxic or Knock Off as they switch in. Take advantage of Regenerator when firing off Scald; allowing Alomomola to get low on health to get a burn is okay if it can safely switch out afterwards. However, try to keep its health high if there is a special attacker that you wish to knock out with Mirror Coat.

Team Options
========

Toxapex is Alomomola's perfect teammate, as it can be given EVs that allow it to take more special attacks and also has Regenerator. This gives the team Toxic Spikes and a Regenerator core, allowing you to cripple the opponent's team without using any moves, as well as with Toxapex's access to Haze also stopping any setup Pokemon from sweeping. Toxapex also has the ability to switch into Grass-types. Alomomola's access to Wish gives it good synergy with bulky Water-types such as Mantine, which is a reliable defogger Defogger that can take special hits and Grass-type attacks for safe Defog. You could even use Lanturn for its safe Heal Bell. Lanturn's immunity to Electric-type attacks and Sap Sipper Azumarill's immunity to Grass-type attacks allow them to be great teammates for Alomomola. Alomomola pairs well with another physical wall in Quagsire, as it allows Alomomola to use Toxic, Knock Off, or Scald to hinder setup Pokemon while having the safety net of Quagsire's Unaware ability if they get out of hand. Another notable Pokemon that can be paired with Alomomola is Tapu Fini, which can break through other defensive Pokemon(space)with Taunt and Nature's Madness, although Misty Terrain does stop status from Alomomola. Mega Slowbro can set up and sweep late-game after Alomomola has crippled the team with Knock Off and status conditions. Lastly, Suicune can PP stall Pokemon without worrying about being too low on HP, as Alomomola can use Wish to give Suicune health back.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Alomomola can take advantage of having Rocky Helmet instead of Leftovers, as recovery is not always needed with Regenerator. Fully physically defensive Alomomola will benefit more from this, as it can also run Toxic and Knock Off instead of Mirror Coat to much more efficiently check physical attackers if you have a wall for special attackers already. Another EV spread of 88 HP / 168 DEF Def / 252 SpD and a Calm nature can be viably used for a specially defensive Alomomola, which is able to always survive a Life Orb Tapu Koko's Volt Switch and Xurkitree's unboosted Thunderbolt, allowing it to safely use Mirror Coat. With a different, even more specially defensive EV spread of 100 HP / 156 DEF Def / 252 SpD and a Calm nature, Alomomola can survive a +2 Psychic Terrain-boosted Psychic from Mew.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Electric-types**: Electric-types such as Xurkitree are able to fully set up on Alomomola. The Special Defense EVs will not help Alomomola survive many uses of STAB Thunderbolts.

**Grass-types**: Grass-types such as Choice Band Tapu Bulu can get burned and still beat Alomomola one-on-one with Horn Leech and Grassy Terrain. Cradily has Storm Drain, which counters Alomomola unless you are using the Toxic set.

**Wallbreakers**: While Alomomola can beat a lot of physical attackers, some wallbreakers such as Choice Band Diggersby and Dragonite can run right through it. Z-Move users are also threatening, although Protect lets Alomomola take reduced damage. Burning them early-game allows makes for an easier time.

**Stallbreakers**: Any Pokemon that carries Taunt or Substitute as well as a setup move is the biggest threat to Alomomola. Taunt limits its recovery to just Leftovers and Regenerator, and Substitute negates the chance to burn with Scald. Stallbreakers that beat Alomomola include Gliscor, Mew, and Mega Sableye. Anything that carries Toxic can also cripple Alomomola.

**Setup Sweepers**: Setup Pokemon with Swords Dance, Bulk Up, Calm Mind, Quiver Dance, or Nasty Plot are huge issues for Alomomola, especially special attackers such as Volcarona and Mew.

**Status**: Alomomola's recovery takes two turns to use, so status conditions such as paralysis can stop Alomomola from being able to safely restore HP. Toxic usually forces Alomomola out, often before it can use Wish. As it takes two turns to heal, Alomomola has to deal with two turns of poison damage when healing.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)