Metagame Alphabet Cup

im BANNING GEOMANCY bc its stupid
greninjas not really fun to use or to fight
if you dont have priority use on your team that isnt also screwed by water shuriken then you just lose
but i dont wanna ban greninja bc protean is cool and it gets giga drain and stuff
reminder that if you dont like stuff you can complain about it, but please complain like normal people and not post like 6 times about the letter S thanks

also tagging urkerab to get this implemented on rom.psim.us, where this meta is playable

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
Honestly I think the next issue to look over is Spore.
This isn't Balanced Hackmons where you can slap in Magic Bounce or Poison Heal all day, and holding Safety Goggles or spamming Grass-types just sounds like unviable counterplay. Spore just turns every fast 'mons whose names start with S into a threat that can potentially buy turns to set up against anything that is slower than itself regardless of the typing. Say, Salamence can buy turns to set up against Fairy-types with Spore and snowball through the team with Moxie.

There are not many viable sweepers whose name start with S but the fact that they have an access to 100% accurate move that shuts down anything that isn't Grass-type narrows the counterplay to the worst degree. If you lack priority that KO's the sweeper, you are pretty much done for it.

Last edited:

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
You also forgot stealth rocks, spikes, ghost-types, and leftovers. Which unlike FEAR are actually good
You could always use a Misty Surge user for anti-status, or Safeguard.

Plus, having an answer to Ghost-types in the form of Dark-type teammates is always nice.

Sandstorm handles Leftovers on non-Rock/Steel/Ground-types.

Perhaps just focus on what is accomplished.

Honestly I think the next issue to look over is Spore.
This isn't Balanced Hackmons where you can slap in Magic Bounce or Poison Heal all day, and holding Safety Goggles or spamming Grass-types just sounds like unviable counterplay. Spore just turns every fast 'mons whose names start with S into a threat that can potentially buy turns to set up against anything that is slower than itself regardless of the typing. Say, Salamence can buy turns to set up against Fairy-types with Spore and snowball through the team with Moxie and others.

There are not many viable sweepers whose name start with S but the fact that they have an access to 100% accurate move that shuts down anything that isn't Grass-type narrows the counterplay to the worst degree. If you lack priority that KO's the sweeper, you are pretty much done for it.
Grass usualy dosnt stop Spores, because that S also has acces to Sacred Fire, a 100 fire move with 95% accuracy physical move with 50% chance of burning.

Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Sacred Fire
- Spore
- Crunch

Lets look at him. With protect he can gain speed, Crunch deals good damage, Sacred Fire for coverage and destroying grasses,
and spore for anything else. Due to speed boost, it will be able to outspeed many things, so nothing can outspeed him and put
him to sleep. Prankster? He is a dark type, he dont need to care about this.

This is just one S user, from many. There are many S that fullfill many roles: Leads, Revenge Killers, etc etc.
Its clear that S is the strongest one, and I agree in having a suspect test on spore, because otherwise almost all leads would
be S. S has Stealth Rock, Sticky Web, Spikes, Skill Swap and Spore. And Im starting to feel that Scolipede will be the only viable lead,
due to being imune to spore. Its ok to have a strong letter, but not one that overcentralize the meta. I vote for nerfing S, so yea, I agree that Spore should
have a suspect test.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Some thoughts from me:

-Spore def needs more attention. The ability to shut down a non-Grass-type Pokemon for 1/2 turns is ridicilous and in normal gameplay at least it's limited to mostly shitty Pokemon.

-Shift Gear also seems problematic. Stuff like Scizor and Salamence become way too hard to stop. Further, S mons get access to Sunsteel Strike to ignore Unaware (further Scizor gets STAB from it).

-Now that Sharpedo has been mentioned...

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Crunch
- Sacred Fire
- Waterfall

If you're able to set up a SD, then you are going to destroy stuff and will rarely even be outsped. (Especially if Jolly is ran, but Adamant has the higher power).

-Now we need a defensive tank:

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Cotton Guard
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Moonblast

So yeah, reaches max Def after 2 uses of Cotton Guard, and doesn't give a fuck about opposing boosts. Can further make holes if it sets up a lot of CM, as it doesn't give a fuck about opposing boosts again.

I feel like this might be the best lead in the metagame

Sableye @ Focus sash/Leftovers
Spr_7s_302.png

Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt/Foul Play

Prankster with access to spore sticky web and stealth rock will definitely make it a threat

Last edited:
Noctowl @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave / Agility
- Nasty Plot
- Hurricane
- Hyper Voice

I was searching for some tinted lens mons and this has a niche thanks to nasty plot which turns
Noctowl in a powerful wallbreaker, u can run the double dance set too for sweeping potential.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Ladies and Gentlemen, I present you with some terrifying set:

Hoopa-Unbound @ Normalium Z
Ability: Magician
Jolly Nature
-Happy Hour
- Hyperspace Fury
- Zen Headbutt
- Fire Punch

This set is similar to the ToT set from STABmons. However, because that's not STABmons with FakeSpeed being everywhere, this thing will be harder to even stop. And better! Topsy-Turvy Thundy can't touch that either!

I didn't see this posted yet so imma put this here
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Happy Hour
- Knock Off / Hyperspace Fury
- Drain Punch / Ice punch / High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt

EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Happy Hour
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast / Thunderbolt / Energy Ball

The point of the set is to z happy hour (obviously) and sweep. Hoopa can do it quite nice because of how strong it is naturally and because it's immune to prankster moves like twave and topsy turvy. I don't know how the meta will shape out so I included plenty of coverage.

Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Block
- Perish Song
- Recover
- Poison Fang

Poison fang is a 50% chance to Toxic and gives you something to do even if taunted, while block and perish song kills everything that isn't a ghost, has taunt or hits se.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
I will post a list of viable moves (in my opinion) by letters just because I have nothing to do (So no scrolling through the entire Bulbapedia)

Accelerock, Acid Armor, Acid Spray, Aeroblast, Agility, Air Slash (Serene Grace op), Aqua Tail, Attack Order, Aura Sphere, Aurora Veil (even tho only Abomasnow starts with A and has Snow Warning), Autotomize.

Baneful Bunker, Beak Blast, Belly Drum, Blaze Kick, Blue Flare, Bolt Strike, Bonemerang, Boomburst, Brave Bird, Bug Buzz, Bullet Punch, Bullet Seed.

Calm Mind, Clanging Scales, Clear Smog, Close Combat, Coil, Conversion (Z-Conversion), Core Enforcer, Cosmic Power, Cotton Guard, Crabhammer, Crunch, Curse.

Darkest Lariat, Dark Pulse, Dazzling Gleam, Defend Order, Defog, Destiny Bond, Diamond Storm, Discharge, Doom Desire, Draco Meteor, Dragon Ascent, Dragon Hammer, Drain Punch, Drill Run.

Earth Power, Earthquake, Encore, Endeavor, Energy Ball, Eruption, Explosion, Extrasensory, Extreme Speed.

Fake Out, Fiery Dance, Fire Blast, Fire Lash, First Impression, Flame Charge, Flare Blitz, Flash Cannon, Fleur Cannon, Focus Blast, Focus Energy, Forest's Curse (Z-Forest's Curse), Foul Play, Freeze Dry, Fusion Bolt, Fusion Flare.

Gear Grind, GEOMANCY, Giga Drain, Gunk Shot, Gyro Ball.

Happy Hour (Z-Happy Hour), Haze, Head Charge, Heal Block (Z-Heal Block), Healing Wish, Heal Order, Heart Swap, Heat Wave, Heat Crash, Heavy Slam, Hex, High Horsepower, High Jump Kick, Hold Hands (Z-Hold Hands), Hone Claws, Horn Leech, Hurricane, Hyperspace Hole, Hyper Voice.

Ice Beam, Ice Shard, Icicle Spear, Iron Head.

Judgment, Jump Kick.

King's Shield, Knock Off.

Land's Wrath, Lava Plume, Leaf Blade, Leaf Storm, Leech Life, Leech Seed, Light of Ruin*, Light Screen, Liquidation, Low Kick, Lunge, Luster Purge.

Mach Punch, Magma Storm, Megahorn, Meteor Mash, Milk Drink, Mirror Move (Z-Mirror Move), Moonblast, Moongeist Beam, Morning Sun, Muddy Water, Multi-Attack, Mystical Fire.

Nasty Plot, Nature's Madness, Night Daze, Night Shade, Night Slash, Nuzzle.

Oblivion Wing, Origin Pulse, Outrage.

Pain Split, Parting Shot, Perish Song, Pin Missile, Play Rough, Poison Jab, Pollen Puff, Power Gem, Power-Up Punch, Power Whip, Precipice Blades, Psychic, Psychic Fangs, Psystrike, Purify (Z-Purify), Pursuit.

Quiver Dance.

Rapid Spin, Razor Shell, Recover, Reflect, Reflect Type, Revelation Dance, Roar, Rock Blast, Rock Polish, Rock Slide, Roost.

Sacred Fire, Sacred Sword, Searing Shot, Secret Sword, Seed Bomb, Seed Flare, Seismic Toss, Shadow Ball, Shadow Sneak, Shift Gear, Shore Up, Slack Off, Sludge Wave, Smart Strike, Spacial Rend, Spectral Thief, Spikes, Spiky Shield, Spirit Shackle, Splash (Z-Splash), Spore, Stealth Rock, Steam Eruption, Sticky Web, Stockpile, Stone Edge, Stored Power, Strength Sap, Sucker Punch, Sunsteel Strike, Super Fang, Superpower, Swords Dance.

Tail Glow, Taunt, Techno Blast, Thousand Arrows, Throat Chop, Thunderbolt, Thunder Punch, Thunder Wave, Topsy Turvy, Toxic, Toxic Spikes, Toxic Thread, Transform, Tri Attack, Trick, Trick-or-Treat (Z-Trick-or-Threat), Trick Room, Trop Kick.

U-turn.

Vacuum Wave, V-create, Volt Swtich, Volt Tackle.

Waterfall, Water Shuriken, Water Spout, Weather Ball, Whirlwind, Wild Charge, Will-o-Wisp, Wish, Wood Hammer.

Zen Headbutt, Zing Zap.

Some notes:
-X and Y are skipped because: X has no physical attackers for X-Scissors and Y is basically Yawn.
-The list is mostly theorymoning, but if this ever gets coded on main, some moves might leave the list.
*-Assuming unreleased moves are allowed

Some moves that might be problematic and might need a look:
Shift Gear, Transform, Geomancy

EDIT: Hit me up if you think something has to be added/removed.
You skipped many Dragon moves like Dual Chop. Dragon Pulse, Dragon Claw, and a few notworthy others like Body Slam, Bulk Up, Block. But great list otherwise!

Also- completely situational, but a sudden surprise.

Bruxxish @ Salac Berry
Ability: Dazzling
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Liquidation
- Substitute
- Bonemerang

Sub, Drum, Salac Boosts speed, let Dazzling Protect you from priority. Liquidation is for when they switch in a resist or Unaware user, so you can hit harder on the second hit. Bonemerang breaks Substitute, Focus Sash, Sturdy, etc.

Have a slow pivot bring it in on a defensive non-threat.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
You skipped many Dragon moves like Dual Chop. Dragon Pulse, Dragon Claw, and a few notworthy others like Body Slam, Bulk Up, Block. But great list otherwise!
I purposely left out the Dragon moves, because honestly I don't think anything here that starts with D would need a Dragon move. Body Slam, Bulk Up and Block probs passed my view so whoops.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
I purposely left out the Dragon moves, because honestly I don't think anything here that starts with D would need a Dragon move. Body Slam, Bulk Up and Block probs passed my view so whoops.
Ya, Dragon Pulse / Dragon Claw is learned by most relevant Dragons, but...

What about Dual Chop on Dragonite? Can break Substitute, Focus Sash, Sturdy, and even opposing Dragonite’s Multiscale.

Dragon Dance for Focus Sash Reversal Dugtrio/Flail Dodrio. DD Durant with Hustle is no slouch.

And at the very least, Dragon Tail for phazing on Eviolite Dusclops, etc.

Last edited:
Type: Null @ Eviolite
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Transform
- Imprison
- Taunt
- Thousand Arrows

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Sacred Fire
- Sunsteel Strike
- Shore Up

Registeel @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Core Enforcer
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell
- Flamethrower

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 148 HP / 176 Def / 4 SpA / 180 SpD
Calm Nature
- Heal Order
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 132 HP / 184 Def / 8 SpA / 184 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Clear Smog
- Anchor Shot
- Foul Play
- Giga Drain
my team
also another one mainly HO
Sawk @ Red Card
Ability: Mold Breaker
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Spore
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Taunt
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Lovely Kiss
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Ice Punch

Mimikyu @ Fairy Memory
Ability: Disguise
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Multi-Attack
- Shadow Claw
- Drain Punch

Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Diamond Storm
- Dragon Ascent
- Drain Punch

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
Ya, Dragon Pulse / Dragon Claw is learned by most relevant Dragons, but...

What about Dual Chop on Dragonite? Can break Substitute, Focus Sash, Sturdy, and even opposing Dragonite’s Multiscale.

Dragon Dance for Focus Sash Reversal Dugtrio/Flail Dodrio. DD Durant with Hustle is no slouch.

And at the very least, Dragon Tail for phazing on Eviolite Dusclops, etc.
Fuck more moves I forgot to actually add. Welp added

Lilligant (F) @ Fairium Z
Ability: Own Tempo
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Light of Ruin
- Lava Plume
- Quiver Dance
Iirc, OM's policies is that if something is unreleased, then it's technically banned so idk if Light of Ruin (and Plasma Fists) are going to be allowed, unless that has changed.

Pain Split, Parting Shot, Perish Song, Pin Missile, Play Rough, Poison Jab, Pollen Puff, Power Gem, Power-Up Punch, Power Whip, Precipice Blades, Psychic, Psychic Fangs, Psystrike, Purify (Z-Purify), Pursuit.

EDIT: Hit me up if you think something has to be added/removed.
Possibly niche, but what about Power Trip, which could be combined with Z-Purify?

Pokemon with the letter S infront of their name are able to become godly hazard setters and phazers.
here's my Skarmory that wins many matches for me, replay coming soon.
also, acupressure can be insanely overpowered if it traps a setup mon.
[/
Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
Bold Nature
- Strength Sap
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7alphabetcup-683212291
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7alphabetcup-683214987

]

Last edited:
what about the UB's names (UB-Lighting for Xurkitree)?
nope, thats dumb and i dont like it
im not cool with manipulating names and stuff, the sim has a set naming system and thats the end-all-be-all for what mons are called.
also, whats the popular consensus for chatter? thats the big scary thing that i want to stir up discussion about.

MIght work well on web teams as a wallbreaker, just come in on something that you force out such as defensive lando-t or heatran and setup

Nidoking (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast/icebeam/fire blast/thunderbolt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)