Doubles Amoonguss

Stratos

Banned deucer.

"fuck you, gamefreak"

Overview
########
Amoonguss was blessed with the tools it needs to perform its job and nothing more, and can serve as a defensive answer to many of the top threats in Doubles. With solid bulk, Regenerator, a useful Grass / Poison typing, and access to Rage Powder, Amoonguss can ruin Pokemon, such as Rotom-W and Hitmontop, that lack spread moves, and can be an efficient partner for Pokemon that mostly fear single-target moves. Thanks to Spore and its low Speed, Amoonguss is one of the best ways to stop Trick Room and can beat common Water-types not named Ludicolo.

Amoonguss has to pick its battles wisely, as it cannot do anything to Grass-types, which are immune to Spore and Rage Powder, unless it drops Giga Drain for Sludge Bomb, which is usually unwise. Even worse, it is switch-in fodder for the powerful and threatening Fire-types. It can be hard to use Amoonguss properly until these threats are eliminated without throwing away your momentum by the fistful.

Rage Powder
########
name: Rage Powder
move 1: Rage Powder
move 2: Spore
move 3: Protect
move 4: Giga Drain
ability: Regenerator
item: Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
nature: Sassy

Moves
========

Rage Powder is basically the only reason to use Amoonguss and is perhaps one of the most clutch moves ever created. It grants Amoonguss's partner significantly more maneuverability, can keep low-HP Pokemon on life support, and dramatically reduces the effectiveness of some of the opponent's Pokemon. Spore is excellent as it can put many major threats to sleep and allows Amoonguss to stop all common Trick Room setters outside of Trevenant and Overcoat Reuniclus. Giga Drain only deals acceptable damage when it's super effective, but is necessary for late-game situations and getting around Taunt. It can be tempting to run Sludge Bomb instead, as Amoonguss is ruined by Grass-types, but most Doubles Grass-types, such as Trevenant, Venusaur, and opposing Amoonguss, are only hit neutrally by Poison-type moves. Protect stalls for turns so Amoonguss's partner can switch and sidesteps Fake Out, which could otherwise stop Rage Powder.

Set Details
========

Mental Herb and Black Sludge are both passable items on Amoonguss. However, Taunt is not as common as it once was, as many Trick Room setters are now immune to it, so Mental Herb has also lost its usefulness somewhat. Black Sludge provides Amoonguss with reliable recovery, but Regenerator is usually sufficient in this regard. The best item tends to be Sitrus Berry, as it provides Amoonguss with a burst of vitality when it needs to use Rage Powder twice in a row, which is surprisingly often. Regenerator allows Amoonguss to replenish its health upon switching out and function as an effective pivot, and the given EV spread maximizes Amoonguss's special bulk, seeing as it usually redirects special attacks. The spread allows Amoonguss at full health to always survive a Timid Latios's Life Orb-boosted Psyshock, and Speed is minimized so it can work as well as possible against Trick Room, one of its main niches.

Usage Tips
========

One of Amoonguss's greatest perks is that it is almost always successful as a lead against heavy Trick Room: simply Spore the most threatening Pokemon that isn't immune to the move, be it setter or abuser. However, when it's not playing against Trick Room, Amoonguss should just focus on keeping its partner safe. Overall, using Amoonguss is fairly straightforward: use Spore to catch predicted switches or when your partner is Protecting, use Giga Drain on Water-types when your partner's not about to get Hydro Pumped, use Protect against Fake Out so that Rage Powder isn't blocked, and other than that, just spam Rage Powder. However, beware of becoming setup fodder for your opponent's Pokemon in the process—especially for Fire-types.

Team Options
========

Amoonguss is setup fodder for Fire-types, so it needs a teammate that can kill their momentum. Garchomp, Zygarde, and Tyranitar are all reliable switch-ins to Heatran, Chandelure, and Mega Charizard Y, and in return, Amoonguss can redirect the Will-O-Wisps that they attract. Amoonguss works especially well with Rock-types such as Tyranitar and Terrakion as well as with Heatran. Amoonguss can redirect the Close Combats, Hydro Pumps, and Focus Blasts that plague these Pokemon as well as threaten certain Ground-types; meanwhile, its partner deals with the Fire-types that Amoonguss is unable to defeat. However, all of these combos must be wary of Muddy Water and Earthquake. Amoonguss also partners well with Trick Room setters, redirecting attacks that would otherwise stop them, and then has a blazing fast Spore to help clean up. However, this often requires having two Pokemon on the field with no offensive presence, which is a disaster, and Amoonguss cannot redirect Spore, a common check to Trick Room. Another option is to pair Amoonguss with Pokemon that use setup moves, such as Belly Drum Azumarill, so that they cannot be crippled during their turn of setup. However, they must be wary of spread moves among other things. In general, any specific pairing with Amoonguss will have its flaws because Amoonguss lacks offensive presence, but teams that want a bulky answer to Rotom-W, rain, and Trick Room could not ask for more.

Other Options
########

Amoonguss doesn't have much room for customization as a whole because all of its moves have vital roles in making Amoonguss an effective teammate. However, it does have some interesting ways to beat its usual enemies. Amoonguss can replace Protect with Hidden Power Ground to surprise Heatran that try to set up with Substitute. It will still lose in a one-on-one fight, but it will at least keep Heatran out in the open. Occa Berry can be run so Amoonguss survives Mega Charizard Y's Heat Wave to strike back with Spore. Stun Spore cripples faster Pokemon, whereas Toxic can beat bulkier Pokemon that aim to outlast Amoonguss, though poison is usually ineffective in Doubles. Substitute would be good on Amoonguss, so it could redirect, say, Brave Birds, at the cost of only 25% of its health, but sadly, Amoonguss cannot afford to drop any of its other moves for it. Lastly, Amoonguss can run a few Speed IVs to outspeed and Spore opposing Slowking or Reuniclus before being smacked by Psyshock, but it is bulky enough to survive a Psyshock and this removes its chance to beat said Pokemon under Trick Room.

Checks & Counters
########

**Taunt** Amoonguss has no offensive presence; once Taunted by Pokemon such as Thundurus and Gyarados, all it can utilize is a non-threatening Giga Drain.

**Grass-types** Grass-types such as Venusaur and Breloom are immune to Spore and Rage Powder and take very little damage from Giga Drain. Amoonguss cannot do anything to Grass-types, though they cannot do much in return.

**Super Effective Moves** Pokemon that can KO Amoonguss, such as powerful Flying-, Psychic-, Ice-, and Fire-types, can easily force it out or put it out of commission. Specially based Ice- and Fire-types, such as Mega Charizard Y, Heatran, and Mega Abomasnow, are especially good because of their spread STAB options, Blizzard from the latter and Heat Wave from the former two, KOing Amoonguss and damaging the partner it was trying to protect.

**Spread Moves** Though some cannot KO Amoonguss, spread move users—especially those that do not fear Spore—can just ignore it, eliminating the point of using Amoonguss in the first place. Some notable attacks include Landorus-T and Garchomp's Earthquake, Kingdra's Muddy Water, and Tyranitar's Rock Slide.

Usage Tips
========

- Leading Amoonguss vs full Trick Room teams will very rarely do you wrong, since even if their setter is lum it can just sleep the closest abuser
- When you're not just using it under TR or to stop TR, Spore is mostly useful just for predicted switches to counters
- Most of the time Amoonguss is out, it should just be spamming Rage Powder while something with more hitting ability does the actual work
- Can switch in on basically anything it resists while partner Protects and go to town with the powder
- Amoonguss is setup fodder for a lot of things, especially Fires—whatever you do, make sure you don't put yourself in a situation where this can bite you in the ass. e.g. amoonguss + scizor on the field at the same time
- If you're using Amoonguss as a setup assistant, it's important to be wary of Fake Out, which can fuck you over completely.

Team Options
========

- Garchomp or Zygarde or Tyranitar can clean up whatever mess amoonguss made when it let tran set up a sub or zardy switch in
- Tyranitar is also nice for its weakness to the exclusively non-spread fighting (whereas the dragons share a weakness with amoonguss to blizzard), though beware Breloom
- Amoonguss can redirect the fighting and water attacks aimed at Heatran while Heatran eliminates grasses that cockblock amoonguss
- Amoong can pair well with many TR setters to redirect killing blows and then have a superfast spore. Beware: cannot redirect Spores, often involves having two pokemon with no offense on the field at once
- Other than that, just in general teams that want a bulky answer to Rotom-W, rain, and Trick Room in one slot will love Amoonguss for its incredible longevity and its DGAFing about status

Other Options
########

- HP Ground (to beat Tran)
- Occa Berry (to beat zard)
- Stun Spore
- sub (fuck laga)
- Toxic
- not min Spe (to beat offensive reuni / slowking)

Checks and Counters
########

- lol idk how many times i have to say this but: fire types
- Special Ice Types damage it a lot and also fuck up rp with blizzard; abomasnow is legit the best because it does all that and ignores RP completely and immune to spore
- other grasses force a stalemate in a 1v1 but also ignore rp making them really good at defying his strategy
- taunt
- mammaryswine
- flying types that actually have invested flying stab (this is surprisingly like, idek, none that weren't already listed) tornadus, pinsir

Last edited by a moderator:

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
- trash Sub in OO lmao what are you thinking bro
- add an ice types section in oo and then move abomasnow to w/e grass or ice you decide.
- try generalizing your team options a bit more - instead of saying zygarde and garchomp, say ground-types; instead of saying t-tar, say rock-types (terrakion is good at fucking up tran and zard too so liek ye
- the last bullet point in team options is super loose: either trash it or mention some team archetypes that like "a bulky grass type tank"
- mention in usage tips that if paired with a TR setter, it should use RP turn one and if Trick Room is successfully set with Amoonguss still healthy, you can use Spore on w/e tf you want to.

qc -1/3 since you wanna go slow with the stamping

Stratos

Banned deucer.
not just ground types, laga—ground types that resist fire, that's why you need those specific ones. terrak doesnt fuck up tran/zard if it gets ep'd/solarbeamed :| (mostly relevant for tran)

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
for Flying-types, Talonflame, Pinsir, Torn,
Just expand on the threats in the cc's and you're good to go

(QC approved 1/3)

Substitute should be in OO, as while it usually means you have to forgo Protect, along with Black Sludge it can make Amoonguss very annoying should the opposition lack Taunt.

Pwnemon said:
Other than that, just in general teams that want a bulky answer to Rotom-W and Trick Room in one slot will love Amoonguss for its incredible longevity and its DGAFing about status
Additionally it's a bulky answer to rain and Trick Room (at least until it unleashes Spore), so you might want to add that in there.

Get Toxic out of OO, completely worthless and redundant with Trick Room support. :/

Physical Ice-types work just as well as special ones (in C&C). Mamoswine, Weavile, Cloyster, and others can all threaten Amoonguss with their Ice-type STABs. Mamo and Cloyster do need to watch out for Giga Drain, however.

And I'd give second check but last time I checked Amoonguss I rushed it too much, so imma be careful this time around. x_x

Stratos

Banned deucer.
for Flying-types, Talonflame, Pinsir, Torn
tbird was covered in fire types and torn anus... is it good this gen w/o gem? idk. did forget pinsir tho

Substitute should be in OO, as while it usually means you have to forgo Protect, along with Black Sludge it can make Amoonguss very annoying should the opposition lack Taunt.

Additionally it's a bulky answer to rain and Trick Room (at least until it unleashes Spore), so you might want to add that in there.

Get Toxic out of OO, completely worthless and redundant with Trick Room support. :/

Physical Ice-types work just as well as special ones (in C&C). Mamoswine, Weavile, Cloyster, and others can all threaten Amoonguss with their Ice-type STABs. Mamo and Cloyster do need to watch out for Giga Drain, however.

And I'd give second check but last time I checked Amoonguss I rushed it too much, so imma be careful this time around. x_x
i had sub originally bc i agree but fagafucka said not to

toxic is for bulky pokes that amoong does 6% to with gigadrain (cress, dragons), i'll drop it if you really think i should though

cloyster actually loses to amoonguss 1v1, fails to ohko with icicle spear thanks to shitrus and is ohkoed back with giga drain, lol. weavile isnt even good. i will add mamo though but it's not as cool because it cant just troll rage powder

stamp me you (BAN ME PLEASE)

You should probably mention its bulk and Regenerator in the overview :p . I'm in school rn tho so I will do a real check later.

Your prose is ridiculously goofy and that probably won't slide with most of the QC, GP team, so just take out some of the (hilarious) analogies :)

Overview:

Since the overview talks about the Pokemon as a whole, idk if saying it can do nothing to Grass-types is appropriate, since it can use a STAB Sludge Bomb if it felt like it. You could say something along the lines of "Amoonguss struggles with 4MSS because it must drop one of its valuable supporting moves if it wants to stand a chance against common threats, such as Grass-types."

Change "Abilities" to "Regenerator" since that is the best (and only viable) ability on it and is a huge selling point for any bulky pivot. It need the emphasis imo.

Also mention it is setup fodder to anything with Substitute and most Pokemon with Lum Berry.

Moves:

Breloom is weak to Poison, not neutral.

Checks and Counters:

List specific users of spread moves in **Spread Moves**, Taunt users in **Taunt**, and just a few very popular threats in **Offensive Typing Advantages** because the reader might use terrible Pokemon that fit this generic criteria.

Do these and I will check again Pwnemon

Since the overview talks about the Pokemon as a whole, idk if saying it can do nothing to Grass-types is appropriate, since it can use a STAB Sludge Bomb if it felt like it. You could say something along the lines of "Amoonguss struggles with 4MSS because it must drop one of its valuable supporting moves if it wants to stand a chance against common threats, such as Grass-types."
i dont think this is a very good way of saying it, as 1) grass-types really arent that common lol and 2) it makes it seem like amoon cant deal with any common threat in doubles unless it drops one of its usual moves (which is just stupid lol)
a better way to say it imo would be "Grass-types give Amoonguss trouble as they are immune to both Spore and Rage Powder, and Amoonguss can't afford to drop one of its valuable support moves in favour of a Poison STAB, which would make Grass-types less of a problem." probably shorten that a bit idk but i think it makes the point clearer and gets it across more effectively

In team options, mention setup sweepers in general because that is one of the main reasons for using Rage Powder.

QC 3/3 u feg

Amateur Check

In the edits section

Blue-Add
Red-Remove
Green-Comments

I've added some additional comments which are general sweeping statements about some stuff I think should be changed and just some musing.

I've put a copy paste to be extra helpful

Overview
########
Amoonguss is one of those Pokemon that was blessed with exactly the tools it needs to perform its job and nothing more. In this case, it can serve as a defensive answer to many of the top threats in Doubles. Rage Powder, along with its bulk, Regenerator, and typing, allows it to ruin entire Pokemon, such as Rotom-W and Hitmontop, that lack spread moves, and tocan be a support partner for some Pokemon whothat mostly fear single-target moves. Thanks to Spore and its low speed, it is also one of the best ways to stop Trick Room, and it can beat common Water-types not named Ludicolo. Generally, I’ve just ensured consistency with indefinite pronouns when addressing Pokemon, so I’ve used ‘that’ rather than ‘who/whom’. It’s nice to see the Oxford comma and examples early on.

Of course, Amoonguss has to pick its battles wisely. It can do absolutely nothing to Grass-types, which are immune to Spore and Rage Powder, unless it drops Giga Drain for Sludge Bomb, which is typicusually unwise. MoreEven worrisome, it is switch-in fodder for the powerful and threatening Fire-types ofin the formatier. It can be hard to properly use Amoonguss until those threats are eliminated without throwing away your momentum by the fistful. I’ve opted for ‘usually’ because ‘typically’ has some other contextually confusing definitions. Same thing with ‘worrisome’.

Support
########
name: Support
evEVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
ivIVs: 0 Spe

Moves
========

Rage Powder is basically the only reason to use Amoonguss and perhaps one of the most clutch moves ever created. It allows Amoonguss's partner significantly more maneuverability and can keep low-HP Pokemon on life support while also puttreducing a full sthe op on someponent’s Pokemon. Spore, apart from just being great to sleep any threatening Pokemon,’s effectiveness dramatically. Spore importantly allows Amoonguss to stop every common Trick Room setter except Trevenant and Overcoat Reuniclus; as well as being generally useful in stopping other threatening Pokemon. Giga Drain really only does respectable damage on Pokemon weak to it, but it's necessary in case of latend-game situations or Taunt. It can be tempting to run Sludge Bomb instead, since Amoonguss is so ruined by Grass-types, but most Doubles Grass-types are neutral to Poison anyway, such as Trevenant, Venusaur, and other Amoonguss. Protect, as always, stalls for turns so Amoonguss's partner can switch. It also stalls Fake Out, which could otherwise stop Rage Powder and ruin Amoonguss's partner. I don’t see how that final statement is relevant to Fake Out, since you can always Rage Powder the 2nd turn, which would happen regardless whether you have been Faked Out (or is it Fake Outed), or used protect in turn 1. And the phrasing of the sentence makes it seem that the single Fake Out is the cause of all the trouble. Anyway, I’ve just tried to make the points you seem to prioritize, particularly about stopping Trick Room, more prominent.

Set Details
========

Mental Herb and Black Sludge are both passable items on Amoonguss. However, Taunt is not as common as it once was (since many Trick Room setters are now immune) and so Mental Herb has also lost its useffectiveulness somewhat. Black Sludge provides Amoonguss with reliable recovery, but it already usually has enough recovery in Regenerator. The best item then tends to be Sitrus Berry, because it provides Amoonguss with a burst of vitality when it needs to redirect powerful attacks twice in a rowturn, which is surprisingly common. Regenerator allows Amoonguss to keep coming back like gas on taco Tuesday, and its spread maximizes its special bulk (,since it usually redirects special attacks), while surviving a Timid Life Orb Latios's Psyshock 100% of the time when at full health. The set's speed is entirely minimized so it can work as well as possible against Trick Room, one of its main niches.

Usage Tips
========

One of Amoonguss's greatest perks is that it is almost nearlways surefireccessful as a lead against heavy Trick Room: simply Spore the most threatening Pokemon that isn’t immune, be it setter or abuser, that isn't immune. However, when this is not the casenot against Trick Room, Amoonguss is best offshould simply trying to keep its partner safe. Overall it's a pretty mindless Pokemon to play; use Spore to catch predicted switches or when your partner is Protecting, Giga Drain Water-types when your partner's not about to get Hydro Pumped, Protect against Fake Out so that your Rage Powder isn't blocked, and other than that just spam Rage Powder. However, beware becoming setup fodder for your opponent's Pokemon—especially Fire-types—throughout this process or it will all be for naught. I’m not sure whether the taco Tuesday is suitable, but I chuckled so I’m leaving it in.

Team Options
========

Amoonguss is setup fodder for Fire-types, so its most important teammate is something that can kills Fire-types' momentum. Garchomp, Zygarde, and Tyranitar are all reliable switch-ins to Heatran, Chandelure, and Mega Charizard Y, and Amoonguss can redirect the Will-o-Wisps they attract in return. Amoonguss works especially well with Rock-types such as Tyranitar and Terrakion, and withs well as Heatran. Amoonguss can redirects the Close Combats, Hydro Pumps, and Focus Blasts that plague these Pokemon and threatens certain Ground-types; meanwhile its partner deals with the Fire-types that Amoonguss is unable to touchdamage significantly. However, all of these combos must be warey of Muddy Water and Earthquake, so they are imperfectnot without flaws. Amoonguss also partners well with Trick Room setters, as it can redirect attacks that would otherwise stop the Trick Room setter, and then has a blazing fast Spore to help clean up. However, this can often require having two Pokemon on the field with no offensive presence, which is a disaster, and Amoonguss cannot redirect Spore, a common stopcheck to Trick Room. Another option is to pair Amoonguss with Pokemon that use setup moves such as Belly Drum Azumarill, so that they cannot be crippled during their turn of setup, though they must still be warey of spread move users, among other things. In general, any specific pairing with Amoonguss will have its flaws, because Amoonguss lacks offenses, but teams that want a bulky answer to Rotom-W, rain, and Trick Room could not ask for more. In prior sections, explain how/why Amoonguss counters/checks Rotom-W and rain teams.

Other Options
########

Amoonguss doesn't have much room for customization as a whole, because all of its moves have vital roles in making Amoonguss an effective Pokemonteammate. However, it does have some interesting ways to beat its usual enemies. It can replace Protect with Hidden Power Ground, to surprise Heatran that try to use Substitute on Amoonguss (, however it will still lose a one-on-one fight, but it will at least keep Heatran out in the open), or Occa Berry to survive Charizard-Y's Heat Wave and strike back with a Spore. Stun Spore cripples faster Pokemon, while Toxic can beat bulkier Pokemon that aim to outlast Amoonguss, but poison is usually in general pretty badeffective. Substitute would be good on Amoonguss, so it can redirect, say, Brave Birds, while losing only 25% of its health, but Amoonguss can sadly cannot afford to drop any of its other moves for it. Its last plausible option is to not completely minimize its Speed, ushaving just a couplefew IVs instead, so that it can Spore opposing Slowking or Reuniclus without fear ofbefore a Psyshock, but it can already lis bulky enough to survive a Psyshock and this just removes its chance to beat said Pokemon under Trick Room. Just making some sentences more clarified.

Checks and Counters
########

**Taunt** Amoonguss has no offensive presence; once Taunted by Pokemon such as Thundurus and Gyarados, it can do nothing but piddlynon-threatening Giga Drains.

**Grass-types** Grass-types such as Venusaur and Breloom are not only immune to Spore and Rage Powder but also take very little from Giga Drain. Amoonguss can truly do nothing to them, though most can also do little to Amoonguss.

**Offensive type Typing Aadvantage** Pokemon that can simply KO Amoonguss, such as powerful Flying-, Psychic-, Ice-, and Fire-types, can force Amoonguss out easily or put it out of commission for good. Special Ice- and Fire-types, such as Mega Charizard Y, Heatran, and Mega Abomasnow, are especially good because of their spread STAB options, (Blizzard by the latter and Heat Wave) by the former two, KOing Amoonguss and damaging the partner it was trying to protect.

**Spread moves** Though they technicallysome don't beatKO Amoonguss, spread move users—especially those whothat do not fear Spore—can just ignore itAmoonguss, which eliminates the whole point of using Amoonguss in the first place. Some notable users include Landorus-T’s and Garchomp for’s Earthquake, Kingdra for’s Muddy Water, and Tyranitar for’s Rock Slide.

Personally, I think you should elaborate what Rage Powder does, and sometimes mention it now and then when you talk about redirecting attacks and supporting teammates to contextualize your statements.

Explain why Amoonguss stops Rotom-W and is effective against rain. You explain how Amoonguss is effective against Trick Room teams.

Generally, no real spelling and grammar issues, although sometimes you put some additional information in the middle of your main point, which can convolute the importance of your main point. These don’t really affect how the analysis is interpreted, but can be disconcerting for people who speed-read or skim analyses.

Overview
########
Amoonguss is one of those Pokemon that was blessed with exactly the tools it needs to perform its job and nothing more. In this case, it can serve as a defensive answer to many of the top threats in Doubles. Rage Powder, its bulk, Regenerator, and typing, allows it to ruin entire Pokemon, such as Rotom-W and Hitmontop, that lack spread moves, and can be a support partner for Pokemon that mostly fear single-target moves. Thanks to Spore and its low speed, it is also one of the best ways to stop Trick Room, and it can beat common Water-types not named Ludicolo.

Of course, Amoonguss has to pick its battles wisely. It can do absolutely nothing to Grass-types, which are immune to Spore and Rage Powder, unless it drops Giga Drain for Sludge Bomb, which is usually unwise. Even worse, it is switch-in fodder for the powerful and threatening Fire-types in the tier. It can be hard to properly use Amoonguss until those threats are eliminated without throwing away your momentum by the fistful.

Support
########

Moves
========

Rage Powder is basically the only reason to use Amoonguss and perhaps one of the most clutch moves ever created. It allows Amoonguss's partner significantly more maneuverability and can keep low-HP Pokemon on life support while reducing the opponent’s Pokemon’s effectiveness dramatically. Spore importantly allows Amoonguss to stop every common Trick Room setter except Trevenant and Overcoat Reuniclus; as well as being generally useful in stopping other threatening Pokemon. Giga Drain only does respectable damage on Pokemon weak to it, but it's necessary in case of late-game situations or Taunt. It can be tempting to run Sludge Bomb instead, since Amoonguss is ruined by Grass-types, but most Doubles Grass-types are neutral to Poison anyway, such as Trevenant, Venusaur, and other Amoonguss. Protect, as always, stalls for turns so Amoonguss's partner can switch. It also stalls Fake Out, which could otherwise stop Rage Powder.

Set Details
========

Mental Herb and Black Sludge are both passable items on Amoonguss. However, Taunt is not as common as it once was (since many Trick Room setters are now immune) and so Mental Herb has also lost its usefulness somewhat. Black Sludge provides Amoonguss with reliable recovery, but it already usually has enough recovery in Regenerator. The best item tends to be Sitrus Berry, because it provides Amoonguss with a burst of vitality when it needs to redirect powerful attacks twice in a turn, which is surprisingly common. Regenerator allows Amoonguss to keep coming back like gas on taco Tuesday, and its spread maximizes its special bulk ,since it usually redirects special attacks, while surviving a Timid Life Orb Latios's Psyshock 100% of the time when at full health. The set's speed is entirely minimized so it can work as well as possible against Trick Room, one of its main niches.

Usage Tips
========

One of Amoonguss's greatest perks is that it is almost always successful as a lead against heavy Trick Room: simply Spore the most threatening Pokemon that isn’t immune, be it setter or abuser. However, when not against Trick Room, Amoonguss should simply try to keep its partner safe. Overall it's a pretty mindless Pokemon to play; use Spore to catch predicted switches or when your partner is Protecting, Giga Drain Water-types when your partner's not about to get Hydro Pumped, Protect against Fake Out so that your Rage Powder isn't blocked, and other than that just spam Rage Powder. However, beware becoming setup fodder for your opponent's Pokemon—especially Fire-types— it will all be for naught.

Team Options
========

Amoonguss is setup fodder for Fire-types, so its most important teammate is something that can kill Fire-types' momentum. Garchomp, Zygarde, and Tyranitar are all reliable switch-ins to Heatran, Chandelure, and Mega Charizard Y, and Amoonguss can redirect the Will-o-Wisps they attract in return. Amoonguss works especially well with Rock-types such as Tyranitar and Terrakion, as well as Heatran. Amoonguss can redirect the Close Combats, Hydro Pumps, and Focus Blasts that plague these Pokemon and threatens certain Ground-types; meanwhile its partner deals with the Fire-types that Amoonguss is unable to damage significantly. However, all of these combos must be wary of Muddy Water and Earthquake, so they not without flaws. Amoonguss also partners well with Trick Room setters, as it can redirect attacks that would otherwise stop the Trick Room setter, and then has a blazing fast Spore to help clean up. However, this can often require having two Pokemon on the field with no offensive presence, which is a disaster, and Amoonguss cannot redirect Spore, a common check to Trick Room. Another option is to pair Amoonguss with Pokemon that use setup moves such as Belly Drum Azumarill, so that they cannot be crippled during their turn of setup, though they must still be wary of spread move users, among other things. In general, any specific pairing with Amoonguss will have its flaws, because Amoonguss lacks offenses, but teams that want a bulky answer to Rotom-W, rain, and Trick Room could not ask for more.

Other Options
########

Amoonguss doesn't have much room for customization as a whole, because all of its moves have vital roles in making Amoonguss an effective teammate. However, it does have some interesting ways to beat its usual enemies. It can replace Protect with Hidden Power Ground, to surprise Heatran that try to use Substitute on Amoonguss, however it will still lose a one-on-one fight, but it will at least keep Heatran out in the open, or Occa Berry to survive Charizard-Y's Heat Wave and strike back with a Spore. Stun Spore cripples faster Pokemon, while Toxic can beat bulkier Pokemon that aim to outlast Amoonguss, but poison is usually ineffective. Substitute would be good on Amoonguss, so it can redirect, say, Brave Birds, while losing only 25% of its health, but Amoonguss can sadly cannot afford to drop any of its other moves for it. Its last plausible option is to not completely minimize its Speed, having a few IVs instead, so that it can Spore opposing Slowking or Reuniclus before a Psyshock, but it is bulky enough to survive a Psyshock and this just removes its chance to beat said Pokemon under Trick Room.

Checks and Counters
########

**Taunt** Amoonguss has no offensive presence; once Taunted by Pokemon such as Thundurus and Gyarados, it can do nothing but non-threatening Giga Drains.

**Grass-types** Grass-types such as Venusaur and Breloom are not only immune to Spore and Rage Powder but also take very little from Giga Drain. Amoonguss can truly do nothing to them, though most do little to Amoonguss.

**Offensive Typing Advantage** Pokemon that can simply KO Amoonguss, such as powerful Flying-, Psychic-, Ice-, and Fire-types, can force Amoonguss out easily or put it out of commission for good. Special Ice- and Fire-types, such as Mega Charizard Y, Heatran, and Mega Abomasnow, are especially good because of their spread STAB options, Blizzard by the latter and Heat Wave by the former two, KOing Amoonguss and damaging the partner it was trying to protect.

**Spread Moves** Though some don't KO Amoonguss, spread move users—especially those that do not fear Spore—can just ignore Amoonguss, which eliminates the whole point of using Amoonguss in the first place. Some notable users include Landorus-T’s and Garchomp’s Earthquake, Kingdra’s Muddy Water, and Tyranitar’s Rock Slide.

Last edited:

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Placeholder: I'm going to work on top of the above amateur check, and I'll finish this ASAP.

Overview
########
Amoonguss was blessed with the tools it needs to perform its job and nothing more, and can serve as a defensive answer to many of the top threats in Doubles. With solid bulk, Regenerator, a useful Grass/Poison typing, and access to Rage Powder, Amoonguss can ruin Pokemon, such as Rotom-W and Hitmontop, that lack spread moves, and can be an efficient partner for Pokemon that mostly fear single-target moves. Thanks to Spore and its low Speed, Amoonguss is one of the best ways to stop Trick Room and can beat common Water-types not named Ludicolo.

Amoonguss has to pick its battles wisely, as it cannot do anything to Grass-types, which are immune to Spore and Rage Powder, unless it drops Giga Drain for Sludge Bomb, which is usually unwise. Even worse, it is switch-in fodder for the powerful and threatening Fire-types of the format. It can be hard to use Amoonguss properly until these threats are eliminated without throwing away your momentum by the fistful.

Support
########

Moves
========

Rage Powder is basically the only reason to use Amoonguss and is perhaps one of the most clutch moves ever created. It grants Amoonguss's partner significantly more maneuverability, can keep low-HP Pokemon on life support, and dramatically reduce the effectiveness of the opponent's Pokemon. Spore is excellent as it can put many major threats to sleep and allows Amoonguss to stop all common Trick Room setters outside of Trevenant and Overcoat Reuniclus. Giga Drain only deals acceptable damage when it's super effective, but is necessary for late-game situations and getting around Taunt. It can be tempting to run Sludge Bomb instead, since Amoonguss is ruined by Grass-types, but most Doubles Grass-types, such as Trevenant, Venusaur, and opposing Amoonguss, are hit neutrally by Poison-type moves anyway. Protect stalls for turns so Amoonguss's partner can switch, and sidesteps Fake Out, which could otherwise stop Rage Powder.

Set Details
========

Mental Herb and Black Sludge are both passable items on Amoonguss. However, Taunt is not as common as it once was, since many Trick Room setters are now immune to it, so Mental Herb has also lost its usefulness somewhat. Black Sludge provides Amoonguss with reliable recovery, but Regenerator is usually sufficient in this regard. The best item tends to be Sitrus Berry, because it provides Amoonguss with a burst of vitality when it needs to redirect powerful attacks twice in a turn, which is surprisingly often. Regenerator allows Amoonguss to replenish its health upon switching out and function as an effective pivot, whereas the given EV spread maximizes Amoonguss's special bulk, seeing as it usually redirects special attacks. The spread allows Amoonguss at full health to always survive a Timid Latios's Life Orb-boosted Psyshock, and Speed is minimized so it can work as well as possible against Trick Room, one of its main niches.

Usage Tips
========

One of Amoonguss's greatest perks is that it is almost always successful as a lead against heavy Trick Room: simply Spore the most threatening Pokemon that isn't immune to the move, be it setter or abuser. However, when it's not playing against Trick Room, Amoonguss should just focus on keeping its partner safe. Overall, using Amoonguss is fairly straightforward: use Spore to catch predicted switches or when your partner is Protecting, use Giga Drain on Water-types when your partner's not about to get Hydro Pumped, use Protect against Fake Out so that Rage Powder isn't blocked, and other than that, just spam Rage Powder. However, beware of becoming setup fodder for your opponent's Pokemon in the process—especially for Fire-types.

Team Options
========

Amoonguss is setup fodder for Fire-types, so it needs a teammate that can kill their momentum. Garchomp, Zygarde, and Tyranitar are all reliable switch-ins to Heatran, Chandelure, and Mega Charizard Y, and in return, Amoonguss can redirect the Will-O-Wisps that they attract. Amoonguss works especially well with Rock-types such as Tyranitar and Terrakion as well as with Heatran. Amoonguss can redirect the Close Combats, Hydro Pumps, and Focus Blasts that plague these Pokemon as well as threaten certain Ground-types; meanwhile, its partner deals with the Fire-types that Amoonguss is unable to defeat. However, all of these combos must be wary of Muddy Water and Earthquake. Amoonguss also partners well with Trick Room setters, redirecting attacks that would otherwise stop them, and then has a blazing fast Spore to help clean up. However, this often requires having two Pokemon on the field with no offensive presence, which is a disaster, and Amoonguss cannot redirect Spore, a common check to Trick Room. Another option is to pair Amoonguss with Pokemon that use setup moves, such as Belly Drum Azumarill, so that they cannot be crippled during their turn of setup. However, they must be wary of spread moves, among other things. In general, any specific pairing with Amoonguss will have its flaws because Amoonguss lacks offensive presence, but teams that want a bulky answer to Rotom-W, rain, and Trick Room could not ask for more.

Other Options
########

Amoonguss doesn't have much room for customization as a whole because all of its moves have vital roles in making Amoonguss an effective teammate. However, it does have some interesting ways to beat its usual enemies. Amoonguss can replace Protect with Hidden Power Ground to surprise Heatran that try to set up with Substitute. It will still lose in a one-on-one fight, but it will at least keep Heatran out in the open. Occa Berry can be run for Amoonguss to survive Mega Charizard Y's Heat Wave and strike back with Spore. Stun Spore cripples faster Pokemon, whereas Toxic can beat bulkier Pokemon that aim to outlast Amoonguss, though poison is usually ineffective. Substitute would be good on Amoonguss, so it could redirect, say, Brave Birds, at the cost of only 25% of its health, but sadly, Amoonguss cannot afford to drop any of its other moves for it. Lastly, Amoonguss can run a few Speed IVs to outspeed and Spore opposing Slowking or Reuniclus before being smacked by Psyshock, but it is bulky enough to survive a Psyshock and this removes its chance to beat said Pokemon under Trick Room.

Checks and Counters
########

**Taunt** Amoonguss has no offensive presence; once Taunted by Pokemon such as Thundurus and Gyarados, all it can utilize is a non-threatening Giga Drain.

**Grass-types** Grass-types such as Venusaur and Breloom are immune to Spore and Rage Powder and take very little damage from Giga Drain. Amoonguss cannot do anything to Grass-types, though they cannot do much in return.

**Super Effective Moves** Pokemon that can KO Amoonguss, such as powerful Flying-, Psychic-, Ice-, and Fire-types, can easily force it out or put it out of commission. Specially based Ice- and Fire-types, such as Mega Charizard Y, Heatran, and Mega Abomasnow, are especially good because of their spread STAB options—Blizzard from the latter and Heat Wave from the former two—KOing Amoonguss and damaging the partner it was trying to protect.

**Spread Moves** Though some cannot KO Amoonguss, spread move users—especially those that do not fear Spore—can just ignore it, eliminating the point of using Amoonguss in the first place. Some notable attacks include Landorus-T and Garchomp's Earthquake, Kingdra's Muddy Water, and Tyranitar's Rock Slide.

Last edited:

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Hiya! I'm done with the first GP check! :) I trimmed the analysis a little bit - it's pretty well written, though a bit strange at times. GP 1/2

Overview
########
Amoonguss was blessed with the tools it needs to perform its job and nothing more, and can serve as a defensive answer to many of the top threats in Doubles. With solid bulk, Regenerator, a useful Grass/Poison typing, and access to Rage Powder, Amoonguss can ruin Pokemon, such as Rotom-W and Hitmontop, that lack spread moves, and can be an efficient partner for Pokemon that mostly fear single-target moves. Thanks to Spore and its low Speed, Amoonguss is one of the best ways to stop Trick Room and can beat common Water-types not named Ludicolo.

Amoonguss has to pick its battles wisely, as it cannot do anything to Grass-types, which are immune to Spore and Rage Powder, unless it drops Giga Drain for Sludge Bomb, which is usually unwise. Even worse, it is switch-in fodder for the powerful and threatening Fire-types of the format. It can be hard to use Amoonguss properly until these threats are eliminated without throwing away your momentum by the fistful.

Support
########

Moves
========

Rage Powder is basically the only reason to use Amoonguss and is perhaps one of the most clutch moves ever created. It grants Amoonguss's partner significantly more maneuverability, can keep low-HP Pokemon on life support, and dramatically reduce the effectiveness of the opponent's Pokemon. Spore is excellent as it can put many major threats to sleep and allows Amoonguss to stop all common Trick Room setters outside of Trevenant and Overcoat Reuniclus. Giga Drain only deals acceptable damage when it's super effective, but is necessary for late-game situations and getting around Taunt. It can be tempting to run Sludge Bomb instead, since Amoonguss is ruined by Grass-types, but most Doubles Grass-types, such as Trevenant, Venusaur, and opposing Amoonguss, are hit neutrally by Poison-type moves anyway. Protect stalls for turns so Amoonguss's partner can switch, and sidesteps Fake Out, which could otherwise stop Rage Powder.

Set Details
========

Mental Herb and Black Sludge are both passable items on Amoonguss. However, Taunt is not as common as it once was, since many Trick Room setters are now immune to it, so Mental Herb has also lost its usefulness somewhat. Black Sludge provides Amoonguss with reliable recovery, but Regenerator is usually sufficient in this regard. The best item tends to be Sitrus Berry, because it provides Amoonguss with a burst of vitality when it needs to redirect powerful attacks twice in a turn, which is surprisingly often. Regenerator allows Amoonguss to replenish its health upon switching out and function as an effective pivot, whereas the given EV spread maximizes Amoonguss's special bulk, seeing as it usually redirects special attacks. The spread allows Amoonguss at full health to always survive a Timid Latios's Life Orb-boosted Psyshock, and Speed is minimized so it can work as well as possible against Trick Room, one of its main niches.

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

Amoonguss is setup fodder for Fire-types, so it needs a teammate that can kill their momentum. Garchomp, Zygarde, and Tyranitar are all reliable switch-ins to Heatran, Chandelure, and Mega Charizard Y, and in return, Amoonguss can redirect the Will-O-Wisps that they attract. Amoonguss works especially well with Rock-types such as Tyranitar and Terrakion as well as with Heatran. Amoonguss can redirect the Close Combats, Hydro Pumps, and Focus Blasts that plague these Pokemon as well as threaten certain Ground-types; meanwhile, its partner deals with the Fire-types that Amoonguss is unable to defeat. However, all of these combos must be wary of Muddy Water and Earthquake. Amoonguss also partners well with Trick Room setters, redirecting attacks that would otherwise stop them, and then has a blazing fast Spore to help clean up. However, this often requires having two Pokemon on the field with no offensive presence, which is a disaster, and Amoonguss cannot redirect Spore, a common check to Trick Room. Another option is to pair Amoonguss with Pokemon that use setup moves, such as Belly Drum Azumarill, so that they cannot be crippled during their turn of setup. However, they must be wary of spread moves, among other things. In general, any specific pairing with Amoonguss will have its flaws because Amoonguss lacks offensive presence, but teams that want a bulky answer to Rotom-W, rain, and Trick Room could not ask for more.

Other Options
########

Amoonguss doesn't have much room for customization as a whole because all of its moves have vital roles in making Amoonguss an effective teammate. However, it does have some interesting ways to beat its usual enemies. Amoonguss can replace Protect with Hidden Power Ground to surprise Heatran that try to set up with Substitute. It will still lose in a one-on-one fight, but it will at least keep Heatran out in the open. Occa Berry can be run for Amoonguss to survive Mega Charizard Y's Heat Wave and strike back with Spore. Stun Spore cripples faster Pokemon, whereas Toxic can beat bulkier Pokemon that aim to outlast Amoonguss, though poison is usually ineffective. Substitute would be good on Amoonguss, so it could redirect, say, Brave Birds, at the cost of only 25% of its health, but sadly, Amoonguss cannot afford to drop any of its other moves for it. Lastly, Amoonguss can run a few Speed IVs to outspeed and Spore opposing Slowking or Reuniclus before being smacked by Psyshock, but it is bulky enough to survive a Psyshock and this removes its chance to beat said Pokemon under Trick Room.

Checks and Counters
########

**Super Effective Moves** Pokemon that can KO Amoonguss, such as powerful Flying-, Psychic-, Ice-, and Fire-types, can easily force it out or put it out of commission. Specially based Ice- and Fire-types, such as Mega Charizard Y, Heatran, and Mega Abomasnow, are especially good because of their spread STAB options—Blizzard from the latter and Heat Wave from the former two—KOing Amoonguss and damaging the partner it was trying to protect.

Overview
########
Amoonguss is one of those Pokemon that was blessed with exactly the tools it needs to perform its job and nothing more. In this case, it, and can serve as a defensive answer to many of the top threats in Doubles. Rage Powder, along wWith itssolid bulk, Regenerator, a useful Grass/Poisond typing, allows it tond access to Rage Powder, Amoonguss can ruin entire Pokemon, such as Rotom-W and Hitmontop, that lack spread moves, and tocan be a supporn efficient partner for some Pokemon whothat mostly fear single-target moves. Thanks to Spore and its low sSpeed, itAmoonguss is also one of the best ways to stop Trick Room, and it can beat common Water-types not named Ludicolo.

Of course, Amoonguss has to pick its battles wisely. I, as it cannot do absolutely nonything to Grass-types, which are immune to Spore and Rage Powder, unless it drops Giga Drain for Sludge Bomb, which is typicusually unwise. MoreEven worrisome, it is switch-in fodder for the powerful and threatening Fire-types of the format. It can be hard to properly use Amoonguss properly until thoese threats are eliminated without throwing away your momentum by the fistful.

Support
########
evEVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
ivIVs: 0 Spe

Moves
========

Rage Powder is basically the only reason to use Amoonguss and is perhaps one of the most clutch moves ever created. It allowgrants Amoonguss's partner significantly more maneuverability and, can keep low-HP Pokemon on life support while also putting a full stop on some, and dramatically reduce the effectiveness of the opponent's Pokemon. Spore, apart from just being g is excellent as it can put many major threats to sleep any threatening Pokemon,d allows Amoonguss to stop everyall common Trick Room setter excepts outside of Trevenant and Overcoat Reuniclus. Giga Drain really only doeals respecacceptable damage on Pokemon weak to itwhen it's super effective, but it's necessary in case of endfor late-game situations orand getting around Taunt. It can be tempting to run Sludge Bomb instead, since Amoonguss is so ruined by Grass-types, but most Doubles Grass-types are neutral to Poison anyway, such as Trevenant, Venusaur, and otherpposing Amoonguss. Protect, a, are hit neutrally by Poison-type moves alnyways,. Protect stalls for turns so Amoonguss's partner can switch. It also stall, and sidesteps Fake Out, which could otherwise stop Rage Powder and ruin Amoonguss's partner.

Set Details
========

Mental Herb and Black Sludge are both passable items on Amoonguss. However, Taunt is not as common as it once was, (since many Trick Room setters are now immune) and to it, so Mental Herb has also lost its useffectiveulness somewhat. Black Sludge provides Amoonguss with reliable recovery, but it alreadyRegenerator is usually has enough recoverysufficient in Rthis regeneratord. The best item then tends to be Sitrus Berry, because it provides Amoonguss with a burst of vitality when it needs to redirect powerful attacks twice in a rowturn, which is surprisingly commooften. Regenerator allows Amoonguss to keep comreplenish its health upon switching back like gout and function as on taco Tuesday, and itsan effective pivot, whereas the given EV spread maximizes itAmoonguss's special bulk, (seeinceg as it usually redirects special attacks) while. The spread allows Amoonguss at full health to always survivinge a Timid Latios's Life Orb Latios's-boosted Psyshock 100% of the time. The set's s, and Speed is entirely minimized so it can work as well as possible against Trick Room, one of its main niches.

Usage Tips
========

One of Amoonguss's greatest perks is that it is almost nearlways surefireccessful as a lead against heavy Trick Room: simply Spore the most threatening Pokemon that isn't immune to the move, be it setter or abuser, that isn't immune. However, when this iit's not the caseplaying against Trick Room, Amoonguss is beshould just off simply trying tofocus on keeping its partner safe. Overall, using Amoonguss it's a pretty mindless Pokemon to play;fairly straightforward: use Spore to catch predicted switches or when your partner is Protecting, use Giga Drain on Water-types when your partner's not about to get Hydro Pumped, use Protect against Fake Out so that your Rage Powder isn't blocked, and other than that, just spam Rage Powder. However, beware of becoming setup fodder for your opponent's Pokemon—especially Fire-types—throughout in thise process or it will —especiall bey for naughtFire-types.

Team Options
========

Amoonguss is setup fodder for Fire-types, so its most important needs a teammate is something that can kills Fire-types' their momentum. Garchomp, Zygarde, and Tyranitar are all reliable switch-ins to Heatran, Chandelure, and Mega Charizard Y, and in return, Amoonguss can redirect the Will-oO-Wisps that they attract in return. Amoonguss works especially well with Rock-types such as Tyranitar and Terrakion, and as well as with Heatran. Amoonguss can redirects the Close Combats, Hydro Pumps, and Focus Blasts that plague these Pokemon ands well as threatens certain Ground-types; meanwhile, its partner deals with the Fire-types that Amoonguss is unable to defeatouch. However, all of these combos must be warey of Muddy Water and Earthquake, so they are imperfect. Amoonguss also partners well with Trick Room setters, as it can redirecting attacks that would otherwise stop the Trick Room, and then has a blazing fast Spore to help clean up. However, this can often requires having two Pokemon on the field with no offensive presence, which is a disaster, and Amoonguss cannot redirect Spore, a common stopcheck to Trick Room. Another option is to pair Amoonguss with Pokemon that use setup moves, such as Belly Drum Azumarill, so that they cannot be crippled during their turn of setup, though. However, they must still be warey of spread move users, among other things. In general, any specific pairing with Amoonguss will have its flaws, because Amoonguss lacks offensive presence, but teams that want a bulky answer to Rotom-W, rain, and Trick Room could not ask for more.

Other Options
########

Amoonguss doesn't have much room for customization as a whole, because all of its moves have vital roles in making Amoonguss an effective Pokemonteammate. However, it does have some interesting ways to beat its usual enemies. ItAmoonguss can replace Protect with Hidden Power Ground, to surprise Heatran that try to uset up with Substitute on Amoonguss (i. It will still lose in a one-on-one fight, but it will at least keep Heatran out in the open), or. Occa Berry can be run for Amoonguss to survive Mega Charizard- Y's Heat Wave and strike back with a Spore. Stun Spore cripples faster Pokemon, whileereas Toxic can beat bulkier Pokemon that aim to outlast, but Amoonguss, though poison is usually in general pretty badffective. Substitute would be good on Amoonguss, so it canould redirect, say, Brave Birds, while losingat the cost of only 25% of its health, but sadly, Amoonguss can sadly not afford to drop any of its other moves for it. Its lLast plausible option is to not minimize itsly, Amoonguss can run a few Speed, using just a c IVs to outsple IVs instead, so that it cand Spore opposing Slowking or Reuniclus without fear ofbefore being smacked by Psyshock, but it can already lis bulky enough to survive a Psyshock and this just removes its chance to beat said Pokemon under Trick Room.

Checks and Counters
########

**Taunt** Amoonguss has no offensive presence; once Taunted by Pokemon such as Thundurus and Gyarados, all it can doutilize is a non-threatening but piddly Giga Drains.

**Grass-types** Grass-types such as Venusaur and Breloom are not only immune to Spore and Rage Powder but alsond take very little damage from Giga Drain. Amoonguss can trulynot do noanything to themGrass-types, though mosthey can alsonot do little to Amoongussmuch in return.

**OSuper Effensctive type advantageMoves** Pokemon that can simply KO Amoonguss, such as powerful Flying-, Psychic-, Ice-, and Fire-types, can easily force Amoongussit out easily or put it out of commission for good. Specially based Ice- and Fire-types, such as Mega Charizard Y, Heatran, and Mega Abomasnow, are especially good because of their spread STAB options (Blizzard from the latter and Heat Wave) from the former two—KOing Amoonguss and damaging the partner it was trying to protect.

**Spread mMoves** Though they technically don't beatsome cannot KO Amoonguss, spread move users—especially those whothat do not fear Spore—can just ignore it, which eliminatesing the whole point of using Amoonguss in the first place. Some notable userattacks include Landorus-T and Garchomp for's Earthquake, Kingdra for's Muddy Water, and Tyranitar for's Rock Slide.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Pwnemon

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

Overview
########
Amoonguss was blessed with the tools it needs to perform its job and nothing more, and can serve as a defensive answer to many of the top threats in Doubles. With solid bulk, Regenerator, a useful Grass / Poison typing, and access to Rage Powder, Amoonguss can ruin Pokemon, such as Rotom-W and Hitmontop, that lack spread moves, and can be an efficient partner for Pokemon that mostly fear single-target moves. Thanks to Spore and its low Speed, Amoonguss is one of the best ways to stop Trick Room and can beat common Water-types not named Ludicolo.

Support
########

Moves
========

Rage Powder is basically the only reason to use Amoonguss and is perhaps one of the most clutch moves ever created. It grants Amoonguss's partner significantly more maneuverability, can keep low-HP Pokemon on life support, and dramatically reduces the effectiveness of some of the opponent's Pokemon. Spore is excellent as it can put many major threats to sleep and allows Amoonguss to stop all common Trick Room setters outside of Trevenant and Overcoat Reuniclus. Giga Drain only deals acceptable damage when it's super effective, but is necessary for late-game situations and getting around Taunt. It can be tempting to run Sludge Bomb instead, since as Amoonguss is ruined by Grass-types, but most Doubles Grass-types, such as Trevenant, Venusaur, and opposing Amoonguss, are hit only neutrally by Poison-type moves anyway. Protect stalls for turns so Amoonguss's partner can switch, (RC) and sidesteps Fake Out, which could otherwise stop Rage Powder.

Set Details
========

Mental Herb and Black Sludge are both passable items on Amoonguss. However, Taunt is not as common as it once was, since as many Trick Room setters are now immune to it, so Mental Herb has also lost its usefulness somewhat. Black Sludge provides Amoonguss with reliable recovery, but Regenerator is usually sufficient in this regard. The best item tends to be Sitrus Berry, because as it provides Amoonguss with a burst of vitality when it needs to use Rage Powder twice in a row, which is surprisingly often. Regenerator allows Amoonguss to replenish its health upon switching out and function as an effective pivot, and the given EV spread maximizes Amoonguss's special bulk, seeing as it usually redirects special attacks. The spread allows Amoonguss at full health to always survive a Timid Latios's Life Orb-boosted Psyshock, and Speed is minimized so it can work as well as possible against Trick Room, one of its main niches.

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

Amoonguss is setup fodder for Fire-types, so it needs a teammate that can kill their momentum. Garchomp, Zygarde, and Tyranitar are all reliable switch-ins to Heatran, Chandelure, and Mega Charizard Y, and in return, Amoonguss can redirect the Will-O-Wisps that they attract. Amoonguss works especially well with Rock-types such as Tyranitar and Terrakion as well as with Heatran. Amoonguss can redirect the Close Combats, Hydro Pumps, and Focus Blasts that plague these Pokemon as well as threaten certain Ground-types; meanwhile, its partner deals with the Fire-types that Amoonguss is unable to defeat. However, all of these combos must be wary of Muddy Water and Earthquake. Amoonguss also partners well with Trick Room setters, redirecting attacks that would otherwise stop them, and then has a blazing fast Spore to help clean up. However, this often requires having two Pokemon on the field with no offensive presence, which is a disaster, and Amoonguss cannot redirect Spore, a common check to Trick Room. Another option is to pair Amoonguss with Pokemon that use setup moves, such as Belly Drum Azumarill, so that they cannot be crippled during their turn of setup. However, they must be wary of spread moves, (RC) among other things. In general, any specific pairing with Amoonguss will have its flaws because Amoonguss lacks offensive presence, but teams that want a bulky answer to Rotom-W, rain, and Trick Room could not ask for more.

Other Options
########

Amoonguss doesn't have much room for customization as a whole because all of its moves have vital roles in making Amoonguss an effective teammate. However, it does have some interesting ways to beat its usual enemies. Amoonguss can replace Protect with Hidden Power Ground to surprise Heatran that try to set up with Substitute. It will still lose in a one-on-one fight, but it will at least keep Heatran out in the open. Occa Berry can be run so Amoonguss survives Mega Charizard Y's Heat Wave to strike back with Spore. Stun Spore cripples faster Pokemon, whereas Toxic can beat bulkier Pokemon that aim to outlast Amoonguss, though poison is usually ineffective in Doubles. Substitute would be good on Amoonguss, so it could redirect, say, Brave Birds, at the cost of only 25% of its health, but sadly, Amoonguss cannot afford to drop any of its other moves for it. Lastly, Amoonguss can run a few Speed IVs to outspeed and Spore opposing Slowking or Reuniclus before being smacked by Psyshock, but it is bulky enough to survive a Psyshock and this removes its chance to beat said Pokemon under Trick Room.

Checks and Counters
########

**Super Effective Moves** Pokemon that can KO Amoonguss, such as powerful Flying-, Psychic-, Ice-, and Fire-types, can easily force it out or put it out of commission. Specially based Ice- and Fire-types, such as Mega Charizard Y, Heatran, and Mega Abomasnow, are especially good because of their spread STAB options, (AC) Blizzard from the latter and Heat Wave from the former two, (AC) KOing Amoonguss and damaging the partner it was trying to protect.

2/2

Last edited:
Edit in a few sentences about no sleep clause and how Amoonguss should be sleeping everything it can imo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)