ANNOUNCEMENT: OM Grammar Standards

(approval from gato)

Accepted terms:

Everything on the regular Spelling and Grammar Standards applies.
Fake Out + Extreme Speed: The combination of Fake Out and Extreme Speed.
"Braviary can make good use of Fake Out + Extreme Speed because of its ability, Defiant, which punishes Landorus-T."
Scrappy + Extreme Speed: The combination of Scrappy and Extreme Speed.
"Kangaskhan is the better Scrappy + Extreme Speed user thanks to its access to Drain Punch."
-ate abilities: The broad generalization of Pixilate, Aerilate, and Refrigerate.
"Breloom has to watch out for the -ate abilities because it's weak to all three forms of it."
-ate user / -ate Pokemon: A Pokemon that makes use of an -ate ability.
""Kyurem-B is a notable -ate user in the Balanced Hackmons metagame"
RegenVest: The combination of Regenerator and Assault Vest.
"Goodra is the best user of RegenVest thanks to its all-around solid bulk and great defensive typing."
Unaccepted terms:

Shortening of abilities: Mainly in regards to AAA analyses. PH (Poison Heal), GW (Gale Wings), etc, all have to be spelled out entirely.
"The correct use of Poison Heal Suicune is to avoid Knock Off so that Toxic Orb will always activate."
Impasta: A slang term for Choice Scarf Imposter Pokemon in Balanced Hackmons.
"Blissey is not an Impasta, but it is a great user of Imposter thanks to Choice Scarf providing it with increased Speed."
list subject to change

Last edited by a moderator:

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Can 'Impostor' be used as a noun? i.e. "Blissey is the best Impostor in BH".

Biggest thing: can "-ates" or "-ate users" to both be used? "-ates" are the abilities, but "-ates Pokemon" or "-ates users" are the Pokemon themselves, which is also seeing a lot of use. I'm cool with that, but I'm also cool with only one of them. The downside to only using one is it will take a lot of sentence rewording if somebody uses an incorrect version. We need this nailed down before we correct everything in accordance with these standards.

Seeing tons of slang that's getting used, so either quickly standardize it or get rid of it.

EV

Banned deucer.
GatoDelFuego
I don't like Imposter as a noun. It sounds odd to me, like saying "Slowbro is the best Regenerator." I'd rather have it be "Imposter user" or whatever the equivalent for Regenerator is. ("User of Regenerator?")

Seeing as we already have "-ate abilities" in the OP, "-ate ability users" should be what we use to reference the specific Pokemon.
"Entei is a good -ate ability user because it has access to Extreme Speed" or "Refrigerate is the best -ate ability to use on Entei."

GatoDelFuego

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GatoDelFuego
I don't like Imposter as a noun. It sounds odd to me, like saying "Slowbro is the best Regenerator." I'd rather have it be "Imposter user" or whatever the equivalent for Regenerator is. ("User of Regenerator?")

Seeing as we already have "-ate abilities" in the OP, "-ate ability users" should be what we use to reference the specific Pokemon.
"Entei is a good -ate ability user because it has access to Extreme Speed" or "Refrigerate is the best -ate ability to use on Entei."
Ok, fine on Impostor. "-ates" on its own (not "-ate abilities") has seen a lot of use--we're going to have to create a coined term regardless, so I think it's better to go with the most popular one. I'm not sure which is at this point, tho.

EV

Banned deucer.
GatoDelFuego
I don't like -ate as a noun when referencing a Pokemon. "Kyurem-B is a notable -ate in the Balanced Hackmons metagame ..." or "Aegislash is able to punish enemy -ates because ..." just sound weird. I'm fine with "-ate user" instead of "-ate ability user" for the same reason I like "Imposter user" (or any other "[Ability] user" term.)

Tagging AAA QC for thoughts Adrian Marin aesf Kl4ng TheCommadore

GatoDelFuego

GatoDelFuego
I don't like -ate as a noun when referencing a Pokemon. "Kyurem-B is a notable -ate in the Balanced Hackmons metagame ..." or "Aegislash is able to punish enemy -ates because ..." just sound weird. I'm fine with "-ate user" instead of "-ate ability user" for the same reason I like "Imposter user" (or any other "[Ability] user" term.)

Tagging AAA QC for thoughts Adrian Marin aesf Kl4ng TheCommadore
Yeah I was really pinning for "-ate users" as the go-to term. I'm a big fan :)

Reactions: EV

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)