SM OU Araquanid Meme/Gimmick Team

I swear this isn't a joke, I am legitimately using this.
The team focuses on setting up a lot for Araquanid, but most of the team members are capable of being threats on their own. The team is as follows:

Galvantula @ Leftovers
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sticky Web
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Galvantula is usually the first Pokemon I send out. Like most of the Pokemon here, it serves two roles. [1] Its high speed usually guarantees I can get a Sticky Web off unless my opponent sends out a scarf user that can OHKO me on their first turn. [2] Sticky Web is very useful due to the amount of setup I have to do. Most of my Mons are either fast or bulky, but it helps to guarantee a go-first anyways. Thunder is my only counter for Toxapex. Tapu Bulu (will get to later) can potentially beat it if I play my cards right, but Galvantula is my most reliable check for it. In addition, I don't know why, but I get the paralyze WAY more often than I should. Bug Buzz is just a special STAB move since Galvantula cannot learn U-Turn. Finally, HP Ice was chosen to threaten Gliscor and Landorus T. It won't OHKO, but it does a decent chunk of damage. [3] Leftovers for longevity, and because I couldn't think of a much better item to give. [4]

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin

I don't have much to say here. Forretress has exactly two purposes, and the second one tends to lend itself to the first one. [1] One, put up as many entry hazards as possible. Two, tank moves, usually Poison. Predicting a Toxic will often give me a free turn to get another layer of hazards off. And of course, he has Rapid Spin so I can remove hazards on myself if I have to. [2] Leftovers adds longevity of course, so I can potentially get even more hazards off. [4]

Alolan-Ninetails @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Blizzard
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell

Ninetails has a variety of purposes here. Number one is to set up Aurora Veil, with Light Clay extension. Hail has nice chip damage, as well. [1] Number two is to check Dragons, Fighting/Dark types, Gliscor, Land T, and others that are weak to its strong STAB attacks (especially since Blizzard is guaranteed to hit in Hail.) [2] Number three is obviously to serve as a cleric if possible, with Heal Bell. This in conjunction with Forretress' immunity to poison and Araquanid's immunity to burns means that my team is rarely totally crippled by status conditions. [3]

Tapu Bulu @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Synthesis

Just by existing, Tapu Bulu helps out. Just sending him out activates an extended Grassy Terrain, both boosting the power of Horn Leech, and also giving my whole team extra longevity. [1] In addition to this, he helps counter bulky waters, but most importantly is the only one on my team that can beat Ferrothorn. Super-Effective Bulk Up Superpower is my only answer to it, so it's imperative that Bulu stays alive if the enemy has one. [2] Synthesis and Terrain, plus the Def boost from Bulk Up can also turn him into an annoyingly bulky physical sweeper if you don't have any fast mons that can take him out with Poison, status, or a strong Special move. [3]

Milotic @ Damp Rock
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Mud Sport
- Rain Dance
- Scald
- Ice Beam

I love Milotic. It has so many uses here. First, a predicted Defog jacks you up to scary levels of SpA, with STAB Scald, and an annoying Ice Beam. [1] Second, it's decently bulky even without much IV investment. If Araquanid is out of commission, it can be used to tank Fire moves is a pinch. [2] Third, it has those two supporting moves. Rain Dance (boosted by Damp Rock), and Mud Sport. Rain Dance will cancel Hail, further weaken Fire, and boost Water moves up. This is very important for Araquanid, who already has Water Bubble boosting his STAB Liquidation. Rain on top of it turns it into something capable of scaring off even things that resist Water. [3] Finally, Mud Sport is surprisingly important. If the enemy has a strong Electric type or move, it can seriously threaten Araquanid. At the very least, it will usually pad the damage of a Volt Switch. [4]

Now, it is time for the big boy.

YourWorstNightmare (Araquanid) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
- Aqua Ring
- Liquidation
- Stockpile
- Infestation

Now I know what you're thinking. Araquanid is, officially, RU. What are you doing with him in OU? Well, your answer? He's a healing tank. [1] I'll be honest. I suffered a LOT from 4-move-slot syndrome here. Initially, I ran Leech Life instead of Stockpile, but a lot of things resist Bug, so I decided it wasn't really worth it since low damage equals low heals from it. Instead, I chose Stockpile so I could simultaneously boost both defensive stats. However, I could've run Iron Defense here instead. In fact, I advise all of you to check out Araquanid's full moveset. The defensive options are pretty crazy. [2] Aqua Ring isn't used much, but using it on top of Leftovers and Grassy Terrain means that he's regenerating 18% of his health every turn. This in addition to both of his defenses being boosted by 3 stacks of Stockpile AND Aurora Veil. This means a slow slog-fest, which usually prompts a switch to something better. This is where Infestation comes in. In addition to trapping my opponent, they also nullify the healing they get from Terrain, even if they have Leftovers (12% damage per turn.) This leaves them completely open to my STAB Water Bubble Rain-Boosted Liquidations, which also have a chance to lower their Defense, further screwing them over. [3] Now Araquanid has 3 type-weaknesses. Rock, Flying, and Electric. The first two aren't too terribly common. They're there, for sure, but they aren't omni-present. The last one, Electric, is, though. At the very least, you're likely to see Volt Switch. But I have Mud Sport up to help weaken this. So, when all's said and done, I have most of the things that can threaten Araquanid taken care of. [4]

Now, by no stetch of the imagination is this team perfect. It has 4 weaknesses to Fire, one of which is 4x. I also have a 4x weakness to Steel on my Ninetails and a 4x weakness to Poison on Tapu Bulu. I don't expect to be the very best with this team. But that's normal. This is a gimmick team, and gimmicks are all about fun and finding those few times where it actually works. I'm not looking primarily for competitive advice, I guess I should say. I'm looking for advice on how to more effectively make my opponent downright miserable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)