Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (CAP V. 3.0 READ THE OP!)

Where are the FlashCAPs created? (I've been lurking in the IRC channel recently, but I never saw anything like that there)
Also, is there an overview of all FlashCAPs created so far?

Is CAP going to make the upcoming CAPs (22 and 23, I assume) for the ORAS meta, or do you guys plan on going back to the Virtual Console version of RBY to tide the project over until Gen 7?

Do note that I'm not trying to suggest anything in particular, although having a concept for the old Kanto meta would be nice to see.

Is CAP going to make the upcoming CAPs (22 and 23, I assume) for the ORAS meta, or do you guys plan on going back to the Virtual Console version of RBY to tide the project over until Gen 7?

Do note that I'm not trying to suggest anything in particular, although having a concept for the old Kanto meta would be nice to see.
CAPs are usually done for the current OU Metagame, so the next CAP(s) will most likely also be for ORAS.

With the interest in Fan Games on the rise, will people be allowed to use the CAPs in their fan games, or would they have to go through the people that designed the CAPs to get permission?

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
You can use CAP pokemon for your game, if you wish. But you must observe the following stipulations:
  • Your game cannot be affiliated with another established online pokemon community
  • Credit the "Create-A-Pokemon Project", and provide links to our website, located here: http://www.smogon.com/cap/
  • Your representation of our characters must be consistent with the names, design elements, and overall themes of the characters as defined on the CAP website and CAP forum
Many people have created artworks, ROM hacks, video fighting games, and other interesting offshoot projects using our characters. If you get something interesting together, please let me know and perhaps we can cross-link from here to your project. Good luck!

Can a CAP's move set and abilities be altered to keep up with the current metagame(i.e. Arghonaut getting Poison jab, Meteor mash, and Iron Fist [So it can take down Mega Alatria, which is very annoying in CAP]moves that would help it) like official pokemon do.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
There has been talk of giving past CAPs small updates, as in potential access to moves that were introduced AFTER the generation they were created in. However, many people seemed to be skeptical of this as it would lead to a long cycle of updates. What you seem to be describing is more than a small change. Meteor Mash on Arghonaut is unrealistic.

So, at this time updates are not a thing. Maybe they will be sometime in the future, maybe not. Some changes did happen in the past, but many of them were reset since there were unintended consequences. Some people today are afraid that if we do updates we'll just end up resetting them again and everything would have been a waste of time.

Small updates *might* happen, they might not. The example you provided almost certainly will not happen. If you wish to use Arghonaut to defeat Mega Altaria in the CAP Meta, currently you can use Gunk Shot, since Arghonaut does learn that.

Considering that Crucibelle is the only Mega CAPmon right now, how will future Mega CAPs be decided? Will the community get to vote on the matter? If not, does that mean the Topic Leadership Team will decide on that during (or after) the Concept Assessment stage?

If Crucibelle's double package was a one-time thing, that's okay as well.

I've looked at the CAPs by generations and it seems like there have been a lot less in Generation 6 than the previous 2 generations. Is there a reason for this considering gen 7 is just around the bend?

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I've looked at the CAPs by generations and it seems like there have been a lot less in Generation 6 than the previous 2 generations. Is there a reason for this considering gen 7 is just around the bend?
CAP projects have taken much longer in Gen 6 than previous gens due to more steps, higher standards for submissions and discussions, and the fact that competitive pokemon in general has become much more complicated. Also, CAP policy-making takes MUCH longer these days than it did in the past.

I did a very detailed analysis of the time it takes to make CAP pokemon, and presented my findings and proposals in this CAP policy thread: Project Pace and Timeboxing. No meaningful policy changes resulted from that, but if you want a detailed answer to your question, it's all explained there.

CAP projects have taken much longer in Gen 6 than previous gens due to more steps, higher standards for submissions and discussions, and the fact that competitive pokemon in general has become much more complicated. Also, CAP policy-making takes MUCH longer these days than it did in the past.

I did a very detailed analysis of the time it takes to make CAP pokemon, and presented my findings and proposals in this CAP policy thread: Project Pace and Timeboxing. No meaningful policy changes resulted from that, but if you want a detailed answer to your question, it's all explained there.
Adding to this, PRC has also taken much more time in recent years. Furthermore, this was actually a really short Generation.

calvinball Zen Mode is hard-coded to work only for Darmanitan, and as such cannot be used on a CAP. Same applies to some other Abilities on the banlist, such as Flower Gift and Multitype.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
"It's hard coded in-game" is only half of the problem. Hard coded in-game abilities deal with form changes, and form changes tend to derail CAP's stages. For Zen Mode, it means having an extra step with stats. For something like Multi-type, it means that the typing stage is obsolete. Overall, dealing with form changes is not particularly conductive with CAP's process. For our Mega CAP, we did tweak some things to make it work, but that was a special occasion and it was a rather exhaustive process to discuss it in PRC and get a new process that most people could live with.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
Poll Jumping is anything that advocates or overly discusses an element of the CAP that will be discussed at a later stage.

For example, if in the typing thread someone said that CAP22 should be a Fighting/Ice type with Adaptability, it would be poll jumping into the abilities stage. If someone else said in the same thread that CAP22 should be Ice/Ground for -reasons- and then said it should have Flare Blitz for a coverage move, that would be poll jumping into the moves stage.

This is the first time I am actually following the creation of a new CAP, so I am curious:

Why is there already an art submission thread even though we´ve only established the typing and a single move? Don´t Ability and stat spread come first? I thought about maybe trying a design, too, but I would prefer to know whether the pokémon is supposed to be a physical or a special attacker (or if it has a particular ability) before designing it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)