SM OU Aurora Veil RestCune Bulky Offense

quick glance:

teambuilding process:

First off, I decided to go with RestTalk Suicune. I had already tried it in UU (didn't play a lot of games though) and it worked kinda well. Looking at the state of the meta - it's one of the best lower tier pokemon right now. Since I would need to be able to setup without problems, I decided Aurora Veil was the best choice. What's the best AVeil setter, if not Alolan Ninetales? This mon also helps against eventual grass types or dragon types that can annoy my team. I needed another sweeper, maybe for late game. I decided to go with CB Zygarde.
Then I needed a setter. The best one was Ferrothorn. Landorus-T would just give me more weaknesses to other Ice types, Skarmory was also a good one, however I prefer having separate setters and defoggers. Venusaur is probably the mon that I'm the most concerned about. It helps me take out Magearna. AAP and GHavoc sets w/ Shift Gear and CM, and other grass types such as SD/CB Bulu that can counter Ferro, too. Then I needed a defogger and decided to put Zapdos. I was thinking about Mantine to have some more bulk, but then I could get countered by other Ferrothorn if Venusaur is dead.

team:

Styx (Suicune) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Calm Mind
- Scald

This is probably one of the best lower tier pokemon right now, as I said before. It completely counters (unboosted) Gigavolt Havoc Magearna, Landorus-T (Supersonic Skystrike / Continental Crush), Zygarde, Heatran, and the new Diancie-Mega. I remember playing BW and looking at people using RestTalk Cune. In my opinion, it's a great set because it lets you sweep and recover with (almost) no problems.

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Freeze-Dry
- Aurora Veil
- Blizzard

This mon is extremely good with Suicune. Let's start with Aurora Veil: halves damage for Suicune. Basically, Tapu Koko will 4HKO +1 Suicune with Thunderbolt (or, without boosts, 3HKO). It also counters, with Freeze Dry, mons like Gastrodon and Mantine, which can completely counter Suicune, making it useless as long as they're alive. Also, it helps counter Grass Types, another annoyance for a sweep.
Moonblast is another helpful move, since it helps counter Dragon Types. Those two mons make great synergy, too, as Ninetales helps Suicune counter everything listed above and Suicune helps Ninetales with Steel Types and Fire Types.

Ozymandias (Zygarde) @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Toxic

This pokemon, at first, was intended to be a late game sweeper. However, it works great against electric types, especially Magnezone, that could see a return because of M-Diancie and M-Altaria. It also has good synergy with Cune and Ninetales, because of Toxapex. This pokemon and Zapdos are the only counters I have. Also, Toxic helps putting counters on a timer, therefore making switching into Suicune a worse solution. It counters Heatran too, especially the Magma Storm variant that can't burn Zygarde.

Hawthorne (Ferrothorn) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes / Stealth Rocks
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave

This mon is another great pokemon for the team. Its main counters are fire types, which get countered by other 2 members of the team. Currently, I run it with Spikes to help with Electric Types and Fire Types. However, I'll be going to run SR when I'll be going to see more Zards. TWave is to slow counters. Leech Seed makes stallers go away, so I can setup easily. Gyro Ball helps against other AVeil teams.

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb

Magearna can become a nuisance if Suicune is dead. Venusaur helps stopping it an easy task, getting 3hko'd by everything. Also, I needed something that could stop Tapu Bulu from setting up, since that thing can OHKO almost everything I have.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Volt Switch

The defogger of the team. Helps taking out opposing hazard setters such as Skarmory or other Ferrothorns. The greatest part is Volt Switch, as most of Zapdos' counters are something that Suicune (or Zygarde) can counter without many problems, it makes sweeping easier.

rmt:

http://pokepast.es/72ee61331e1b7c51

ty for checking!​

I really like this team, it has a nice color scheme to it. When reading your sets and descriptions, you stated that you want Zygarde to be a late game sweeper. You cannot achieve that if it's Choice Band. Choice Banded Zygarde is mainly used as a wallbreaker set, so I would recommend changing up it's set to a sweeper set, or dual dance Zygarde:

Zygarde @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 160 HP / 216 Atk / 28 SpD / 104 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Coil

or if you're not much of a fan of this set, seeing how you lack a Z-user, you can use this set rather instead:

Zygarde @ Dragonium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance

next one of your pokemon sets I would recommend modifying is Ferrothorn, Ferrothorn doesn't run max defense, rather a mix of defense and special defense, you can use this set rather:

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes / Stealth Rocks
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Knock Off

This is more of a utility set that you can use to better help your team take hits.
Next up is your Mega Venusaur, the EVs are a bit off, this EVs might be better for you:

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 156 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power Fire

This set is pretty much a wall for your team. Though Synthesis might be weaker if you try to recover in the hail.
For your Zapdos, just move the SpA EVs into HP EVs.

Hope my changes helped you.​

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
Hi cool team, I may not be able to give the best RMT since I'm in phone but it'll do what I can.

First things first, I'm really glad you took an attempt at making a different Aurora Veil team other than the standard. Innovation is great in this meta, so it's always cool to see something different while still technically generic. Now, while you did take a try at creating a newer Aurora Veil team, you failed to include some of the most important Pokémon on Veil, being abusers. The only real abuser you have on this team is Suicune, which I don't like. Here's some things you can do to fix that:

- Change Zygarde to Dragon Dance. The idea of Aurora Veil is to have Pokémon set up thanks to the 1.5x Defense and Special Defense you get from the Aurora Veil. With Choice Band, you simply can't accomplish this. I would suggest making Zygarde a Coil and Dragon Dance set, to get the maximum potential out of it.

- Change Zapdos to another abuser. I understand that Zapdos is there for electric STAB and for Defogging away hazards, but, since you're running Ferrothorn, it might not be ideal to run defog. Also, the only Pokémon that's really weak to hazards on your team is the Zapdos itself, so it's odd to run that as a remover. What you can do instead, is run another abuser, because just Zygarde and Suicune alone won't cut it. Here are some abusers you can use:

• Magearna (Calm Mind + Shift Gear. Also, realistically this is the only other abuser but you can try other stuff like the following)
  • Celesteela (Autotomize)
  • Bisharp
...and there are many others you can use too!

Those were the issues I had with the team at first look, I really like the idea of Mega Venusaur, great job on picking that. Just make sure you have the right abusers doing the right jobs. It's very important, or else it's very counterintuitive. Thanks for sharing your team, I hope to see more from you in the future!

Edit: also, what he said above is also very useful, I'm not an expert on spreads so just follow what he's saying.

I really like this team, it has a nice color scheme to it. When reading your sets and descriptions, you stated that you want Zygarde to be a late game sweeper. You cannot achieve that if it's Choice Band. Choice Banded Zygarde is mainly used as a wallbreaker set, so I would recommend changing up it's set to a sweeper set, or dual dance Zygarde:

Zygarde @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 160 HP / 216 Atk / 28 SpD / 104 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Coil

or if you're not much of a fan of this set, seeing how you lack a Z-user, you can use this set rather instead:

Zygarde @ Dragonium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance

next one of your pokemon sets I would recommend modifying is Ferrothorn, Ferrothorn doesn't run max defense, rather a mix of defense and special defense, you can use this set rather:

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes / Stealth Rocks
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Knock Off

This is more of a utility set that you can use to better help your team take hits.
Next up is your Mega Venusaur, the EVs are a bit off, this EVs might be better for you:

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 156 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power Fire

This set is pretty much a wall for your team. Though Synthesis might be weaker if you try to recover in the hail.
For your Zapdos, just move the SpA EVs into HP EVs.

Hope my changes helped you.​
I already was thinking about changing Zyg's set, however I actually forgot what I wanted to say in the description (I actually meant it to be a wallbreaker, but I forgot the word), also idk about the Venusaur set. I might change it, I'll be going to try it.

Hi cool team, I may not be able to give the best RMT since I'm in phone but it'll do what I can.

First things first, I'm really glad you took an attempt at making a different Aurora Veil team other than the standard. Innovation is great in this meta, so it's always cool to see something different while still technically generic. Now, while you did take a try at creating a newer Aurora Veil team, you failed to include some of the most important Pokémon on Veil, being abusers. The only real abuser you have on this team is Suicune, which I don't like. Here's some things you can do to fix that:

- Change Zygarde to Dragon Dance. The idea of Aurora Veil is to have Pokémon set up thanks to the 1.5x Defense and Special Defense you get from the Aurora Veil. With Choice Band, you simply can't accomplish this. I would suggest making Zygarde a Coil and Dragon Dance set, to get the maximum potential out of it.

- Change Zapdos to another abuser. I understand that Zapdos is there for electric STAB and for Defogging away hazards, but, since you're running Ferrothorn, it might not be ideal to run defog. Also, the only Pokémon that's really weak to hazards on your team is the Zapdos itself, so it's odd to run that as a remover. What you can do instead, is run another abuser, because just Zygarde and Suicune alone won't cut it. Here are some abusers you can use:

• Magearna (Calm Mind + Shift Gear. Also, realistically this is the only other abuser but you can try other stuff like the following)
  • Celesteela (Autotomize)
  • Bisharp
...and there are many others you can use too!

Those were the issues I had with the team at first look, I really like the idea of Mega Venusaur, great job on picking that. Just make sure you have the right abusers doing the right jobs. It's very important, or else it's very counterintuitive. Thanks for sharing your team, I hope to see more from you in the future!

Edit: also, what he said above is also very useful, I'm not an expert on spreads so just follow what he's saying.
Yeah I guess Zapdos isn't the best choice for the team, probably it's just because of my obsession of removing hazards. I might try Magearna. Ty!

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
I already was thinking about changing Zyg's set, however I actually forgot what I wanted to say in the description (I actually meant it to be a wallbreaker, but I forgot the word), also idk about the Venusaur set. I might change it, I'll be going to try it.

Yeah I guess Zapdos isn't the best choice for the team, probably it's just because of my obsession of removing hazards. I might try Magearna. Ty!
No problemo!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)