Metagame Automagic

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7automagic-542116608

Turn 5, got the burn and my automagic activated my Barrier, but not my Acupressure. This is a self targeting stat boosting move in singles, and thus should be triggered. Also, the list of affected moves on the first page incorrectly lists Confide, which lowers the opponent's special attack by one stage. On the off chance it does get activated by automagic, other moves such as sand attack, flash, growl, etc should also be on the list.

EDIT: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7automagic-542126241

Tried replacing Tentacruel, only for Stockpile not to trigger on Numel. Turns 7 and 8

Last edited:
Am I the only that noticed but Manaphy has, besides Tail Glow, Heart Swap which steals boosts. Magearna does also get this btw. So here is the big question does Heart Swap activate once Scald burns? In that case:

Manaphy @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Heart Swap
- Tail Glow
- [Filler]

Manaphy can act as semi-Unaware-mon now!

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
AutoWhereQM.png

Weird... Automagic doesn't seem to be on this list... Explanation?

BTW came up with this Heatmor set:

heatmorShinyG6.gif

Heatmor @ White Herb
Ability: Flash Fire
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Atk / 248 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fire Lash
- Body Slam
- Curse
- Stockpile

When you get a Fire Lash defense drop (100%) or a Body Slam paralysis (30%), you get +2 Defense and +1 Attack and Sp.Def. White Herb gets rid of the -1 Speed you end up with via Curse, but is counteracted by Body Slam parahax anyway.

Thoughts? Because BLOODY HELL this meta looks fun!

View attachment 78882

Weird... Automagic doesn't seem to be on this list... Explanation?

BTW came up with this Heatmor set:

View attachment 78883

Heatmor @ White Herb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Atk / 248 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fire Lash
- Body Slam
- Curse
- Stockpile

When you get a Fire Lash defense drop (100%) or a Body Slam paralysis (30%), you get +2 Defense and +1 Attack and Sp.Def. White Herb gets rid of the -1 Speed you end up with via Curse, but is counteracted by Body Slam parahax anyway.

Thoughts? Because BLOODY HELL this meta looks fun!
Automagic is leaders choice, which means it lacks a ladder and is challenge only.

I found a great set for a trick room sweeper

Sumo (Hariyama) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Belly Drum
- Facade
- Filler

Now all I need is to find something to set up trick room any ideas?

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7automagic-542412432

Two bugs:

• A Dunspace's boosts were activated when it used Body Slam on my Xurkitree, it probably processed the chance of Xurkitree getting paralyzed despite it being Electric-type.
  • A Poison Jab triggered my Scolipede's Swords Dance against a Clefable that was already paralyzed, probably a situation similar to the above.

Reactions: EV

EV

Banned deucer.

Turn 5, got the burn and my automagic activated my Barrier, but not my Acupressure. This is a self targeting stat boosting move in singles, and thus should be triggered. Also, the list of affected moves on the first page incorrectly lists Confide, which lowers the opponent's special attack by one stage. On the off chance it does get activated by automagic, other moves such as sand attack, flash, growl, etc should also be on the list.

Tried replacing Tentacruel, only for Stockpile not to trigger on Numel. Turns 7 and 8

Two bugs:

• A Dunspace's boosts were activated when it used Body Slam on my Xurkitree, it probably processed the chance of Xurkitree getting paralyzed despite it being Electric-type.
  • A Poison Jab triggered my Scolipede's Swords Dance against a Clefable that was already paralyzed, probably a situation similar to the above.
We're working on these.

This ones fixed

Two bugs:

Will be fixed with #3335

I sadly haven't saved the replay, but yesterday, my Jirachi's Body Slam (against an opposing Jirachi) triggered its setup moves (Calm Mind, Iron Defense), despite misty terrain was active, which protected the opposing Jirachi from paralysis.

I have read through this topic twice and I am still not sure how to participate in an Automagic battle. I don't know what Leader's Choice is, so that might help me solve this puzzle.

I built a team around Zygarde with Bulldoze, Coil, D-dance, and Outrage that I really wanna see in action. (Bulldoze is STAB and always gets the secondary effect off)

lost heros

Meme Master
I have read through this topic twice and I am still not sure how to participate in an Automagic battle. I don't know what Leader's Choice is, so that might help me solve this puzzle.

I built a team around Zygarde with Bulldoze, Coil, D-dance, and Outrage that I really wanna see in action. (Bulldoze is STAB and always gets the secondary effect off)
Leader's Choice is a monthly challenge-only Metagame. If you want to play, you have to find someone and challenge them. I recommend asking in the Other Metas room on Pokemon Showdown, if anyone wants to play.

Some silly ideas for this meta

Big Gains (Kommo-o) @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulldoze / Rock Tomb
- Dragon Dance
- Bulk Up
- Swords Dance

+4 Atk / +1 Def / +1 Spe in one turn. Probably useless. Kommo-o is the only mon that gets SD + Bulk Up + Dragon Dance, but (from what I can tell) it has no fighting or dragon moves to activate them with.

Bulk Up and Dragon Dance is still a nice combo though. Maybe it could work if you replace SD with Drain Punch?

Shiftry @ Focus Sash
Ability: Chlorophyll
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off / Bullet Seed / Leaf Blade / Dark Pulse / Energy Ball / Explosion
- Swords Dance / Nasty Plot
- Growth

Gets +4 Atk or SpA from Fake Out in sun. Most chlorophyll users get both Swords Dance and Growth for +4 Atk from a single activation in sun, but Shiftry is the only one that also gets Fake Out. It gets Nasty Plot as well, so it can go physical or special.

Maybe it's possible to run a sun team? Problem is that two of the sun setters, Zard Y and Ninetails, are special so don't want to have to run Flame Charge. Zard Y could conceivably run a physical set with SD, DD, flame charge and filler. Ninetails could go with nasty plot, calm mind, flame charge and something.

One thing that's apparent is that pokemon will be running a lot less coverage moves. It may be worth building your team to take advantage of as many type-based and ability-based immunities as possible to force switches.

Some silly ideas for this meta

Big Gains (Kommo-o) @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Bulletproof
Adamant Nature
- Bulldoze / Rock Tomb
- Dragon Dance
- Bulk Up
- Swords Dance

+4 Atk / +1 Def / +1 Spe in one turn. Probably useless. Kommo-o is the only mon that gets SD + Bulk Up + Dragon Dance, but (from what I can tell) it has no fighting or dragon moves to activate them with.

Bulk Up and Dragon Dance is still a nice combo though. Maybe it could work if you replace SD with Drain Punch?

Shiftry @ Focus Sash
Ability: Chlorophyll
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off / Bullet Seed / Leaf Blade / Dark Pulse / Energy Ball / Explosion
- Swords Dance / Nasty Plot
- Growth

Gets +4 Atk or SpA from Fake Out in sun. Most chlorophyll users get both Swords Dance and Growth for +4 Atk from a single activation in sun, but Shiftry is the only one that also gets Fake Out. It gets Nasty Plot as well, so it can go physical or special.

Maybe it's possible to run a sun team? Problem is that two of the sun setters, Zard Y and Ninetails, are special so don't want to have to run Flame Charge. Zard Y could conceivably run a physical set with SD, DD, flame charge and filler. Ninetails could go with nasty plot, calm mind, flame charge and something.

One thing that's apparent is that pokemon will be running a lot less coverage moves. It may be worth building your team to take advantage of as many type-based and ability-based immunities as possible to force switches.
Wait a second, wouldn't Clangorous Soulblaze activate the Automagic?

I think its mechanics are subtly different to normal secondaries and as such aren't capable of triggering Automagic.
The stat boosts are negated by Sheer Force, and affected by Simple and Contrary. It is exactly the same as moves like Flame Charge.

charizard8888

Catch The Wave
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The stat boosts are negated by Sheer Force, and affected by Simple and Contrary. It is exactly the same as moves like Flame Charge.
Flame Charge has a secondary effect of 100% chance to raise the user's Speed by 1 stage.
Clangorous Soulblaze's effect is a self boost, and it isn't negated by Sheer Force which is why it doesn't trigger the Automagic.
1524652789677.png

Here's a replay with Sheer Force and Clangorous Soulblaze https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7customgame-737930280
1524652624034.png

The subtlety lies in the fact that most secondary effects activate after each hit, which is why Parental Bond Power-Up Punch was so common in ORAS. This isn't true for Clanging Scales and Clangorous Soulblaze though, so Automagic doesn't react. I think a similar thing happens with Fell Stinger.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)