Battle Spot Azumarill Preview [Singles]

[OVERVIEW]

Azumarill is a great wallbreaker thanks primarily to Huge Power, which doubles its Attack stat. Its Water/Fairy typing along with decent bulk allows it to threaten Fire-, Fighting-, Water-, Dark-, and Ground-types such as Blaziken, Mega Gyarados, and Mamoswine. Access to coverage in Superpower and Knock Off as well as priority in Aqua Jet also makes Azumarill difficult to reliably switch into.

Unfortunately for Azumarill, as a physical attacker, it is weakened by burns and Intimidate, the latter of which is especially troubling for non-Belly Drum sets. Tapu Lele's omnipresence prevents Azumarill from taking advantage of Aqua Jet to KO faster foes, leaving it vulnerable to common Electric- and Grass-types such as Tapu Koko, Ferrothorn, Thundurus-T, and Mega Venusaur,most of which can outspeed it due to Azumarill's pathetic Speed. It is also rather predictable, as Azumarill has few viable options, leaving it open to being played around more easily.

Below are some sample sets. These sets are likely to be standard, but they will be expanded upon and updated as the metagame progresses.

[SET]
name: Belly Drum
move 1: Belly Drum
move 2: Aqua Jet
move 3: Play Rough
move 4: Superpower / Waterfall / Knock Off
item: Sitrus Berry / Normalium Z
ability: Huge Power
nature: Adamant
evs: 228 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def / 12 SpD / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* Belly Drum allows Azumarill to raise its Attack to astonishing levels, greatly improving its ability to wallbreak.
* While weak without a boost, Aqua Jet is rather powerful at +6 and is used as a great sweeping tool that makes up for Azumarill's lacking speed as well as being able to pick off weakened targets.
* Play Rough deals insane damage to anything that isn't weak to it and is Azumarill's main STAB move.
* Superpower provides useful coverage against most Steel-types that resist Play Rough.
* Waterfall is a secondary Water-type STAB move that is more reliable than Play Rough and more powerful than Aqua Jet.
* Knock Off gives Azumarill the ability to remove the items of opposing Pokemon while dealing more damage against Psychic- and Ghost-types.
* Maximum Attack with an Adamant nature allows Azumarill to hit as hard as possible, allowing it to act as an excellent wallbreaker.
* The given defensive EVs grant Azumarill an even HP number, guaranteeing that Sitrus Berry activates upon the use of Belly Drum, while still making it as bulky as possible.
* Huge Power doubles Azumarill's mediocre Attack, making it a significant threat.
* Sitrus Berry grants Azumarill some healing after Belly Drum, making it less susceptible to being revenge killed.
* Normalium Z, in conjunction with Belly Drum, restores all of Azumarill's health before use, allowing it to Belly Drum more safely if it has already taken chip damage. Even if Azumarill has already set up with regular Belly Drum, it can still use Z-Belly Drum to fully recover its health.
* While Azumarill is best used mid-game, where it can more reliably setup with Belly Drum, it can apply pressure against more defensive teams early-game, threatening to severely damage opposing walls.
* Knowing when to Belly Drum is important, as it leaves Azumarill weakened after use. Azumarill doesn't have to set up to be a threat, however. Focusing too much on trying to set up can end up wasting Azumaril's chance of doing anything.
* Pokemon that can deal with Grass-, Electric-, and Steel-types are greatly appreciated, as they can prevent Azumarill from breaking through opposing teams.
* Stealth Rock support helps Azumarill by wearing down Pokemon that may switch in while simultaneously breaking Sturdy and Focus Sashes.

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Aqua Jet
move 2: Play Rough
move 3: Superpower
move 4: Waterfall / Knock Off
item: Choice Band
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* Azumarill's immediate power allows it to reliably run Choice Band, granting it incredible wallbreaking abilities.
* Aqua Jet makes up for Azumarill's poor Speed while allowing it to revenge kill weakened foes.
* Play Rough is Azumarill's most powerful STAB move, being highly effective against Dark-, Dragon-, and Fighting-types.
* Superpower is Azumarill's best option against Steel-types, although its stat drops require Azumarill to switch out more often after use.
* Waterfall is Azumarill's most reliable STAB move, combining the power of Play Rough with the accuracy of Aqua Jet.
* Alternatively, Knock Off can be run to provide coverage against Ghost-types, notably Aegislash, while allowing Azumarill to provide support to its teammates by removing items from opposing Pokemon.
* Full Attack investment with an Adamant nature allows Azumarill to fully take advantage of its Huge Power, while maximum HP investment grants it as much bulk as possible.
* Huge Power greatly improves its Attack stat, making it capable of threatening an opponent's team.
* Choice Band further increases Azumarill's Attack, making it much more dangerous, although it denies it the opportunity of switching its moves at will.
* Azumarill is best used early- to mid-game, where it can more easily weaken opposing Pokemon for a teammate to sweep.
* If needed, Azumarill can also act as an excellent cleaner late-game, capable of sweeping through weakened teams as it does not need to set up.
* Azumarill struggles against Grass-, Electric-, and certain Steel-types that may switch in, so teammates that can take advantage of them allow Azumarill to more easily break through teams once they are gone.
* Sweepers make great teammates that appreciate Azumarill's ability to break down opposing teams.
* Stealth Rock users can help wear down opposing teams for Azumarill to more easily wallbreak or clean.

[SET]
name: Assault Vest
move 3: Waterfall
move 4: Knock Off / Superpower
item: Assault Vest

* Azumarill's acceptable bulk allows it to run Assault Vest, allowing it to act as a tank while improving its matchups against special attackers.
* Aqua Jet and Play Rough are Azumarill's primary STAB moves, with Aqua Jet compensating for its poor Speed while Play Rough being capable of blowing through most neutral targets.
* Waterfall is a more powerful Water-type STAB.
* The last moveslot is up to preference. Knock Off lets Azumarill deal with Psychic- and Ghost-types more easily while removing an enemy's item, while Superpower provides much needed coverage against most Steel-types, who otherwise easily switch in on any of Azumarill's moves.
* Maximum Attack grants Azumarill as much power as possible, wich is especially important as this set lacks ways to improve its Attack.
* Full HP investment allows Azumarill to deal with special attackers well while also making it as physically bulky as possible.
* Huge Power is Azumarill's best ability for this set, as it has no other method of boosting its Attack.
* Assault Vest allows Azumarill to pivot into most neutral special attackers, threatening them in return with its powerful STAB or coverage moves.
* Teammates that appreciate Azumarill's ability to tank most special attackers are good partners.
* Even if it can still switch between its moves, Azumarill still struggles against most Steel-, Electric, and Grass-types, although it can more reliably deal with some special attackers. Teammates that can deal with them are nonetheless appreciated.
* Stealth Rock support wears down opposing teams as they switch in, which helps Azumarill deal with most special attackers that it tanks.

Last edited:
"You'll have 2 days to complete them under normal circumstances" lol
Anyways, I finally got this done. ready for checks

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
I haven't seen many Azumarill this gen but let's get another preview taken care of. Same as usual, comments in bold and strikethroughs for things that should be removed. Seems like you're getting better at the annoying grammar stuff the more you write these, always cool to see. If Theorymon and the rest have nothing to add I'd say this good to go.

[OVERVIEW]

Azumarill is a great wallbreaker thanks primarily to Huge Power, which doubles its Attack stat. This combined with its usable bulk allows it to take a hit while dealing heavy damage in return (Not sure I like this sentence, I'd probably mention its decent bulk in the next sentence and scrap this sentence). Its Water/Fairy typing additionally allows it to threaten Fire-, Fighting-, Water-, Dark-, and Ground-types such as Blaziken, Mega Gyarados, and Mamoswine. Along with access to coverage in Superpower and Knock Off as well as priority in Aqua Jet 'also' makes Azumarill difficult to reliably switch into. This last sentence is a fragment so these changes fix that.

Unfortunately for Azumarill, as a physical attacker, it is heavily crippled by burns and Intimidate, particularly due to its lackluster base Attack. It 'is' similarly is threatened by common Electric- and Grass-types, such as Tapu Koko, Ferrothorn, Thundurus-T, and Mega Venusaur, with more offensive Pokemon especially threatening it due to Azumarill's pathetic Speed. It is also rather predictable, as Azumarill has few viable options, leaving it open to being played around more easily.

Below are some sample sets. These sets are likely to be standard, but they will be expanded upon and updated as the metagame progresses.

[SET]
name: Belly Drum
move 1: Belly Drum
move 2: Aqua Jet
move 3: Play Rough
move 4: Superpower / Waterfall / Knock Off
item: Sitrus Berry / Normalium Z
evs: 228 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def / 12 SpD / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* Belly Drum allows Azumarill to raise its Attack to astonishing levels, greatly improving its ability to wallbreak.
* While weak without a boost, Aqua Jet is rather powerful at +6 and us (typo) used to pick off weakened targets. While this isn't wrong, Aqua Jet is also a sweeping tool and isn't used only to pick off weakened foes so that should also be noted.
* Play Rough deals insane damage to anything that isn't weak to it and is Azumarill's main STAB move.
* Superpower provides useful coverage against most Steel-types that resist Play Rough.
* Waterfall is a secondary STAB move (specify Water-type STAB) that is more reliable than Play Rough and more powerful than Aqua Jet.
* Knock Off gives Azumarill the ability to remove the items of opposing Pokemon while dealing more damage against Psychic- and Ghost-types.
* Maximum attack with an Adamant nature allows Azumarill to hit as hard as possible, allowing it to act as an excellent wallbreaker.
* The given defensive EVs grant Azumarill an even HP number, guaranteeing that Sitrus Berry activates upon the use of Belly Drum, while still making it as bulky as possible.
* Huge Power doubles Azumarill's mediocre attack (capitalize and specify Attack stat), making it a significant threat.
* Sitrus Berry grants Azumarill some healing after Belly Drum, making it less susceptible to being revenge killed.
* Normalium Z, in conjunction with Belly Drum, heals half of Azumarill's health before use, allowing it to Belly Drum more safely if it has already taken chip damage.
* While Azumarill is best used mid-game, where it can more reliably setup with Belly Drum, it can apply pressure against more defensive teams early-game, threatening to severely damage opposing walls.
* Knowing when to Belly Drum is important, as it leaves Azumarill weakened after use. I'd probably add that you don't always need to set up with Azumarill, focusing too much on setting up can end up wasting Azumarill's chance of accomplishing anything.
* Pokemon that can deal with Grass-, Electric-, and Steel-types are greatly appreciated, as they can prevent Azumarill from dealing significant damage against opposing teams. I don't like the phrasing "dealing significant damage" here, I'd probably change it to "breaking through" or something similar.
* Stealth Rock support helps Azumarill by weakening ("wearing down" is a bit more descriptive) Pokemon that may switch in while simultaneously breaking Sturdy and Focus Sashes.

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 3: Superpower
move 4: Waterfall / Knock Off
item: Choice Band

[SET COMMENTS]

* Azumarill's immediate power allows it to reliably run Choice Band, granting immediate power to its moves. You say "immediate power" twice here, I'd change one of those to something similar to avoid repetition.
* Aqua Jet makes up for Azumarill's poor Speed while allowing it to revenge kill weakened foes.
* Play Rough is Azumarill's most powerful STAB move, being highly effective against Dark-, Dragon-, and Fighting-types.
* Superpower is Azumarill's best option against Steel-types, although its stat drops require Azumarill to switch out more often after use.
* Waterfall is Azumarill's most reliable STAB move, combining the power of Play Rough with the accuracy of Aqua Jet.
* Alternatively, Knock Off can be run to provide coverage against Ghost-types, notably Aegislash, while allowing Azumarill to provide support to its teammates by removing items from opposing Pokemon.
* Full Attack investment with an Adamant nature allows Azumarill to fully take advantage of its decent power, while maximum HP investment grants it as much mixed bulk as possible. I'd change 'its decent power' to just 'Huge Power' here, since taking full advantage of the boost Huge Power specifically provides is why maximum Attack investment is important.
* Huge Power greatly improves its Attack stat, making it capable of threatening an opponent's team.
* Choice Band further increases Azumarill's Attack, making it much more dangerous, although it denies it the opportunity of switching its moves at will.
* Azumarill is best used early- to mid-game, where it can more easily weaken opposing Pokemon for a teammate to sweep.
* If needed, Azumarill can also act as an excellent cleaner late-game, capable of sweeping through weakened teams as it does not need to set up.
* Azumarill struggles against Grass-, Electric-, and certain Steel-types that may switch in, so teammates that can take advantage of them allow Azumarill to more easily break through teams once they are gone.
* Sweepers make great teammates that appreciate Azumarill's ability to weaken opposing teams. The word "weaken" in general isn't very descriptive, 'break down' fits better.
* Stealth Rock users can help weaken opposing teams for Azumarill to more easily wallbreak or clean. Same deal, "wear down" works better.

[SET]
name: Assault Vest
move 3: Super Power I'd swap Superpower and Waterfall here, this set especially doesn't want to switch often if it can avoid it. Also remember Superpower is one word.
move 4: Knock Off / Waterfall
item: Assault Vest

* Azumarill's passable bulk allows it to run Assault Vest, improving its matchups against special attackers. 'Passable' sounds too dismissive, I'd use 'acceptable' here instead. I'd also add that Vest allows Azumarill to function as a tank.
* Aqua Jet and Play Rough are Azumarill's primary STAB moves, with Aqua Jet compensating for its poor Speed while Play Rough being capable of blowing through most neutral targets.
* Superpower provides much needed coverage against most Steel-types, who otherwise easily switch in on any of Azumarill's moves.
* The last moveslot is up to preference. Knock Off lets Azumarill deal with Psychic- and Ghost-types more easily while removing an enemy's item, while Waterfall is more significant and reliable source of damage.
* Maximum Attack grants Azumarill as much power as possible, especially as this set lacks ways to improve its Attack. 'Especially' by itself isn't the right word in this situation, 'which is especially important' emphasizes the fact that it lacks any way to boost Attack better.
* Full HP investment allows Azumarill to deal with special attackers well while also making it as physically bulky as possible.
* 36 HP / 232 Atk / 236 SpD allows Assault Vest Azumarill to survive Life Orb Tapu Koko's Thunderbolt in Electric terrain while KOing in return with a combination of Play Rough and Aqua Jet. However, this does make Azumarill more vulnerable against physical attackers, most notably Blaziken.
* Huge Power is Azumarill's best ability for this set, as it has no other method of boosting its Attack.
* Assault Vest allows Azumarill to more reliably switch into special attackers. While I know why you include this sentence, I think it's safe to remove it since that's hopefully clear by this point.
* Azumarill with an Assault Vet allows it 'Assault Vest allows Azumarill' to pivot into most neutral special attackers, threatening them in return with its powerful STAB or coverage moves.
* Teammates that appreciate Azumarill's ability to deal with special attackers rather well are good partners.
* Even if it can still switch between its moves, Azumarill still struggles against most Steel-, Electric, and Grass-types, although it can more reliably deal with some special attackers. Teammates that can deal with them are nonetheless appreciated.
* Stealth Rock support weakens opposing teams as they switch in. This in combination with Assault Vest Azumarill's ability to force out some special attackers whittles down opposing teams rather reliably. Same deal re: weaken. AV Azumarill also doesn't really force out special attackers so much as it tanks special attacks so I'm not sure I'd say that.

I haven't seen many Azumarill this gen but let's get another preview taken care of. Same as usual, comments in bold and strikethroughs for things that should be removed. Seems like you're getting better at the annoying grammar stuff the more you write these, always cool to see. If Theorymon and the rest have nothing to add I'd say this good to go.
Sounds good. I'm on mobile rn and won't be home for another 7 hours or so, but I'll get this done by then.

yeah sorry for double post, but implemented! Theorymon if you don't have anything else to add, this is done.

Something that just randomaly popped into my mind
* 36 HP / 232 Atk / 236 SpD allows Assault Vest Azumarill to survive Life Orb Tapu Koko's Thunderbolt in Electric terrain while KOing in return with a combination of Play Rough and Aqua Jet. However, this does make Azumarill more vulnerable against physical attackers, most notably Blaziken.
I don't think this is worth mentioning. In many practical situations one might expect that the Koko user is Volt Switching, expecting it to KO Azu or to take advantage of the Azu being pressured to switch out. Plus the Blaziken stuff as mentioned.

Something that just randomaly popped into my mind
I don't think this is worth mentioning. In many practical situations one might expect that the Koko user is Volt Switching, expecting it to KO Azu or to take advantage of the Azu being pressured to switch out. Plus the Blaziken stuff as mentioned.
I can go ahead and remove this. Volt Switch totally flew over my head when writing that. I can always add it back in if someone decides it should stay

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I won't be able to upload this because of a trip, but Hulavuta and cant say I think this is good to go, so I wouldn't mind this being uploaded if there are no objections!

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I know this has been sitting for a while and says done, but I want a couple of changes before we upload this, since Azumarill as of recent seasons has received a pretty meaty boost in usage, and that's partly due to it changing the sets it commonly runs. Lemme get into some set specifc stuff first.

Set 1: Choice Band

-This has been Azumarill's most used item as of late, and I think it deserves the first slot since it might be the easiest Azumarill to use this gen, mainly because even if Psychic Terrain is up, it can still hit very hard.

-I'd change Superpower being for steels to "Superpower is for Ferrothorn, and hits Porygon2 hard", since when you look at the most common Battle Spot Singles Steel-types... Ferrothorn is actually the only slower Steel-type weak to Superpower, Waterfall does the same (and more in the case of Aegislash) damage to everything else actually! It also hits Kartana and Magnezone harder, but that only works well for on the switch, Azumarill has no bussiness staying in on these two.

-I'd mention two alternate EV spreads. First one is 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spe. This outspeeds 4 Spe Celesteela, Porygon2, and Magnezone. This is really nice for Porygon2 since you can actually 2HKO physically defensive ones with Superpower if you outspeed it and hit it on the switch!

-2nd EV spread is 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe. This loses out on a ton of bulk which is a problem, but it outspeeds 4 Spe Tapu Bulu, which can be huge against some teams since CB Play Rough 2HKOs Tapu Bulu, which can really mess up some desperate attempts to check Azumarill by switching in Bulu!

-Also, mention a Brave nature and 0 Speed IVs for Trick Room teams. While it's niche, this allows Azumarill to under speed Adamant Mega Mawile, which be very useful on TR teams (note that Brave 0 Spe Mega Mawile speed ties).

-I'd mention that if you try to clean up with Azumarill's Aqua Jet, consider pairing it with Tapu Koko or Tapu Bulu in case Psychic Terrain goes up.

2nd set: Physical Attacker (formerly Assault Vest)

Since Azumarill's return to the vogue, people have been looking to alternatives for Belly Drum, so Assault Vest isn't the only non CB item people use now!

-Assault Vest should still go in the first slot, but the other two items should be Fairium Z and Waterium Z.

-You already got AV down, but Fairium Z isn't too hard to grasp: Z-Play Rough does crazy damage to anything that doesn't resist it! Waterium Z is a bit weaker, but Z-Waterfall deals plenty more damage to Steel-types.

-2 niche item options you can mention in set comments: Fightingium Z because it does 88% min to defensive Ferrothorn and 72% min to defensive Porygon2 with Z-Superpower. Life Orb can be cool for consistent damage, though it really puts a time limit on Azumarill's lifespan.

-I'd consider making Knock Off a slash in for Waterfall as well. While going without Waterfall makes Steel-types harder to deal with, it pairs really well with Superpower because you can Knock Off Porygon2 and Chansey's eviolite, making them take way more damage from Superpower!

-I'd mention the same alternate EV spreads and the brave nature I brought up for CB for the same reasons.

-Might mention that the tanking special hits part is only for Assault Vest sets :P

-Just like the last set: Superpower is really for Ferrothorn mostly!

Last set: Belly Drum

With Tapu Lele being around, this has fallen from being Azumarill's most prominent set (no need to mention that tho, we don't talk about the past much in analyses). However, this thing is still dangerous enough to be a set imo! You actually covered it pretty well too, I only got a few nitpicks!

-I'd mention seriously considering Tapu Koko or Tapu Bulu as a teammate, because Psychic Terrain REALLY limits Azumarill's chances of actually sweeping, so if you're gonna try to sweep against a team with Tapu Lele, you're gameplan is going to have to involve taking out Lele and replacing the terrain.

-I'd mention that Normalium Z makes Azumarill easier to use early game for things besides sweeping with Belly Drum, since Z-Belly Drum ensures that you can almost always set it up regardless of how much damage Azumarill has taken.

-Mention that Superpower is great because you don't want Ferrothorn stopping your sweep. Waterfall actually does fine, if not better vs most other Steel-types.

-I'd mention that if you see a team with Tapu Lele in team preview, that benching Azumarill isn't a bad idea if you don't think it'll sweep, ESPECIALLY if you were unable to fit Tapu Koko or Bulu on your team.

Sorry for giving you a lot of new checks, it's just that Azumarill has clearly changed recently. After these checks though, I'll give this an upload!

Last edited:
I know this has been sitting for a while and says done, but I want a couple of changes before we upload this, since Azumarill as of recent seasons has received a pretty meaty boost in usage, and that's partly due to it changing the sets it commonly runs. Lemme get into some set specifc stuff first.

Set 1: Choice Band

-This has been Azumarill's most used item as of late, and I think it deserves the first slot since it might be the easiest Azumarill to use this gen, mainly because even if Psychic Terrain is up, it can still hit very hard.

-I'd change Superpower being for steels to "Superpower is for Ferrothorn, and hits Porygon2 hard", since when you look at the most common Battle Spot Singles Steel-types... Ferrothorn is actually the only slower Steel-type weak to Superpower, Waterfall does the same (and more in the case of Aegislash) damage to everything else actually! It also hits Kartana and Magnezone harder, but that only works well for on the switch, Azumarill has no bussiness staying in on these two.

-I'd mention two alternate EV spreads. First one is 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spe. This outspeeds 4 Spe Celesteela, Porygon2, and Magnezone. This is really nice for Porygon2 since you can actually 2HKO physically defensive ones with Superpower if you outspeed it and hit it on the switch!

-2nd EV spread is 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe. This loses out on a ton of bulk which is a problem, but it outspeeds 4 Spe Tapu Bulu, which can be huge against some teams since CB Play Rough 2HKOs Tapu Bulu, which can really mess up some desperate attempts to check Azumarill by switching in Bulu!

-Also, mention a Brave nature and 0 Speed IVs for Trick Room teams. While it's niche, this allows Azumarill to under speed Adamant Mega Mawile, which be very useful on TR teams (note that Brave 0 Spe Mega Mawile speed ties).

-I'd mention that if you try to clean up with Azumarill's Aqua Jet, consider pairing it with Tapu Koko or Tapu Bulu in case Psychic Terrain goes up.

2nd set: Physical Attacker (formerly Assault Vest)

Since Azumarill's return to the vogue, people have been looking to alternatives for Belly Drum, so Assault Vest isn't the only non CB item people use now!

-Assault Vest should still go in the first slot, but the other two items should be Fairium Z and Waterium Z.

-You already got AV down, but Fairium Z isn't too hard to grasp: Z-Play Rough does crazy damage to anything that doesn't resist it! Waterium Z is a bit weaker, but Z-Waterfall deals plenty more damage to Steel-types.

-2 niche item options you can mention in set comments: Fightingium Z because it does 88% min to defensive Ferrothorn and 72% min to defensive Porygon2 with Z-Superpower. Life Orb can be cool for consistent damage, though it really puts a time limit on Azumarill's lifespan.

-I'd consider making Knock Off a slash in for Waterfall as well. While going without Waterfall makes Steel-types harder to deal with, it pairs really well with Superpower because you can Knock Off Porygon2 and Chansey's eviolite, making them take way more damage from Superpower!

-I'd mention the same alternate EV spreads and the brave nature I brought up for CB for the same reasons.

-Might mention that the tanking special hits part is only for Assault Vest sets :P

-Just like the last set: Superpower is really for Ferrothorn mostly!

Last set: Belly Drum

With Tapu Lele being around, this has fallen from being Azumarill's most prominent set (no need to mention that tho, we don't talk about the past much in analyses). However, this thing is still dangerous enough to be a set imo! You actually covered it pretty well too, I only got a few nitpicks!

-I'd mention seriously considering Tapu Koko or Tapu Bulu as a teammate, because Psychic Terrain REALLY limits Azumarill's chances of actually sweeping, so if you're gonna try to sweep against a team with Tapu Lele, you're gameplan is going to have to involve taking out Lele and replacing the terrain.

-I'd mention that Normalium Z makes Azumarill easier to use early game for things besides sweeping with Belly Drum, since Z-Belly Drum ensures that you can almost always set it up regardless of how much damage Azumarill has taken.

-Mention that Superpower is great because you don't want Ferrothorn stopping your sweep. Waterfall actually does fine, if not better vs most other Steel-types.

-I'd mention that if you see a team with Tapu Lele in team preview, that benching Azumarill isn't a bad idea if you don't think it'll sweep, ESPECIALLY if you were unable to fit Tapu Koko or Bulu on your team.

Sorry for giving you a lot of new checks, it's just that Azumarill has clearly changed recently. After these checks though, I'll give this an upload!
Yeah I kinda wasn't able to do this for a while because of school and other stuff. I'll get it done as soon as I can.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)