BH Balanced Hackmons Central Resources

a loser

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Some thoughts on recent nominations:

MMX to A+ Disagree
One guy says MMX can't keep rocks up other guys say MMX can keep rocks up. Which one is right? I personally don't run rocks on PH MMX much but recently I've been playing around with things like Adamant Swords Dance on PH sets along with Icicle Crash and Low Kick and its pretty fun combined with flinches. But this mon is still probably the most versatile threat in the meta and I really don't see a reason for it to fall just yet.

Xerneas to S Agree
I echo sl42's thoughts on PH Xern's almost endless customization. Until recently, I only ever ran defensive variants of PH, but I tried out a Modest Quiver Dance set and I saw why everyone else has been running it all gen. Xern has the bulk and typing to take on multiple support abilities like Bounce and Prank and be a very useful teammate.

Gengar to S Slightly Agree
Gengar is certainly centralizing in that you pretty much have to bring a slightly dedicated answer to it or you are likely going to lose. The rise of Lightning Rod is interesting since it allows Gengar to work around some of its most proven checks and counters. But its main sets like Normalize, Dazzling, Specs/Scarf Adaptability, and Mold Breaker are all still very threatening and also have ways to bypass the common checks and counters. I'm not quite sure about Simple Smash on this mon because its other sets basically do the same thing but more reliably. Recovery Normalize is a nice tour strat but probably isn't best for long ladder runs.

Yveltal to A-
Agree
Triage is disgusting on this. Its bulky, its Prank immune (not that Triage mons really care about too often), and has STAB to nail Ghosts. Things like Dazzling MMX/MMY can stop Oblivion Wing but Yveltal is bulky enough to be 2HKO by these guys and dent them with Rev Dance to make them less reliable checks in a long battle. Throw in Giga Drain, Secret Sword, or even Low Kick or something dumb like Photon and it gets nastier. Offensive sets on this mon are underrated in general.

Giratina to A Disagree
U-turn on this mon is underwhelming, I agree there, and Regenvest is imposter bait fully realized. But this mon does not have to drain momentum. Things like Griseous Orb or PH with Knock Off can help cripple imposter who tries to come in for free or even unsuspecting PH mons trying to get a free orb activation. The good thing about this mon is sets like PH with a protect variant actually force imposter out while the other sets are usually super easy to improof with a Fairy- or Dark-type that can just take advantage and get a free turn. This mon will always struggle with Xerneas so I don't see that as good reasoning for it to drop. Being such a bulky boi makes the meta adapt to kill it (-ate MMX, band Ttar) but for good reason. If you don't have anything for it, it will just survive.

Diancie dropping Disagree
Kinda like with Gengar, if you roll up with a team that's even soft-ish to Diancie, even the standard Pixie Plate Pixilate set can put in some work. Fake resists like Gengar, Kartana, and Beedrill can only come in on this mon like twice and better hope they predicted the right move when they do. Non-resist fatmons like Audino, Xern, and PH Ogre can all be 2HKO by plate Boomburst and just can't switch in on Diancie much in general. It pressures Zygarde and Tina immensely unless they are dedicated counters like Soundproof or other less than ideal things. FF Steels are probably the most reliable Diancie check to run on ladder but they can still lose to Fighting and Ground coverage. It also hits imposter pretty hard on the switch and can change things up with Magic Guard. I don't see this falling any further and I was surprised it fell from A+ in the first place.

Dialga to B- Agree
Dialga is either pretty good or really bad. I struggle to think of a more matchup dependent mon that this one. Maybe regenvest will put in some work one game. Maybe your Z move will net one or two kills another game. Or maybe you just get OHKO'd by MMX or Pdon before you can do anything at all. Doom Desire + Fur Coat shuffling might be the best set for this mon but no set really stands out. Maybe we should just unrank it and make a category called "use at your own risk"

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
last post of the gen?

lugia ur to b. this mon can switch into ph xern with consistency levels rivaled only by bounce ogre (basically, you counter it as long as no parahax). fighting/psychic/ground resists are incredible as is the ability to soft check pixilate diancie. its good speed is actually a benefit here because you can recover more consistently. i've used this mon on some non shed teams and it still pulls its weight super well.

drop mmx to a, he sucks

drop kanga to b, incredibly underwhelming mon

steelix up to b-, prank entrain is a solid set

water absorb scizor is best set of all time

ban spore and lovely kiss and sleep powder so i get to use hypnosis gar (not drum cause thankfully people have realized it is bad)

add 10 game per day limit so i don't get tilted and we don't run into dimrah so often

update the vr maybe idk i've been pretty hard on you guys so u don't have to

there are 2 types of bh players, the ones who are carried by gar and the ones who are carried by shed. except motherlove, he's dead

this is all, have fun in gen 8

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
last post of the gen?

lugia ur to b. this mon can switch into ph xern with consistency levels rivaled only by bounce ogre (basically, you counter it as long as no parahax). fighting/psychic/ground resists are incredible as is the ability to soft check pixilate diancie. its good speed is actually a benefit here because you can recover more consistently. i've used this mon on some non shed teams and it still pulls its weight super well.

drop mmx to a, he sucks

drop kanga to b, incredibly underwhelming mon

steelix up to b-, prank entrain is a solid set

water absorb scizor is best set of all time

ban spore and lovely kiss and sleep powder so i get to use hypnosis gar (not drum cause thankfully people have realized it is bad)

add 10 game per day limit so i don't get tilted and we don't run into dimrah so often

update the vr maybe idk i've been pretty hard on you guys so u don't have to

there are 2 types of bh players, the ones who are carried by gar and the ones who are carried by shed. except motherlove, he's dead

this is all, have fun in gen 8
Lugia! The forgotten no more!

:)

I cannot believe this hasn’t received a Gen 8 equivalent. When I clicked on it I expected a Gen 8 post announcing we would move this thread to Gen 8 discussion.

In any case, I am really glad with everything you nominated. Scizor should just be used for countering Kyogre from now on, resist Ice Beam, and immune to Revelation Dance!

Watch out!

On a serious note, I still cannot believe it’s over. This generation is truly its own era.

Gen 7 was really complex, and at times too complicated with the sheer amounts of strategies, Pokemon, and even moves.

Gen 8 seems just interesting enough to be a metagame, but maybe we were so spoiled with Gen 7, that we don’t appreciate the simplicity of Gen 8.

For Generation 7, some would call it more fun, but to most, it’s simply just done.

I wonder if it will get removed from the OMotM in February. It’s just wierd to get used to something but watch it’s days dwindle to just a few weeks left of playability.

To everyone who participated: I am glad I was apart of this generation.

And in spite of the sarcasm of the post above, it’s the only time I saw someone else appreciate Lugia for the VR. So for that it gets a huge Like!

Lastly, but not Gastly: I think if people want to learn how to play BH, Gen 7 is probably the best metagame to do so. Other generations were building towards it, and that makes Gen 7 the peak they were going towards.

Gen 8 gets 200 new Pokemon to make up for the huge downhill drop in viable options (speaking of VR how many less will we have due to less Pokemon?), but will it best Gen 7?
I can’t say, but I don’t care. Gen 7 did it all, and then some.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)