Battle Spot Battle Spot Singles Team

This is my team I have been testing out on showdown currently and I think it has great potential:

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Ability: Swarm
Level: 50
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Quiver Dance

I chose Volcarona for Ice coverage as Ice is common for taking down Dragon and also great coverage against Psychic pokemon like Mega Alakazam and Mega Gardevior and also I think that it is a great Special Sweeper. Quiver Dance and Fiery Dance is deadly together because you can end up in two turns with +2 SpA. The bug buzz combines with Swarm as I find with these EVs that Volcarona can take up to around 3 neutral hits so I use bug buzz at the end which combines with Swarm and the Life Orb to do huge damage. If you predict a switch into a Water/Ground type and use Quiver Dance, then use Hidden Power Grass this can easily OHKO most Ground and Water Ty

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

This is the standard Mega Salamence set. He gives great coverage to Grass, Fighting and Bug with Return, coverage to steel (which is now common for fairy), fire, rock, poison (common again) and electric. I run Dragon Claw for Dragon types as I feel Salamence will only win Dragon vs Dragon battles with Dragon Claw. Finally, Dragon Dance because if you predict the switch, you have basically win the game. Also, great switch in for Volcarona against Ground.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 28 SpA / 232 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp

Rotom Wash provides amazing coverage with the Levitate ability giving it only a weakness to Grass which is not super common. I decided to run volt switch over pain split as I find most Rotom's are know for pain split which can lead to the opponent setting up and wiping you. Water, Fire, Flying and Ground are all quite common and also Rotom provides a super effective hit to Rock, for pokemon like Tyranitar and Gigalith who are both quite common due to their abilities. I run 28 SpA because this OKHOs 252 HP Gliscor who is now very common after Bank.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Facade
- Toxic

As I said before, Gliscor is very common now and I love the way he plays. I have faced many Mega Kangaskhans w Power Up Punch and ever time Gliscor shuts them down using toxic, then orb activates then protect to gain health back then eq. With only 2 weaknesses, Gliscor is a very solid pokemon. I run facade over roost mainly because I don't like running just 1 attacking move and Facade fitted perfectly for the remaining slot.

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Clear Smog

This pokemon slot was the hardest to think about because I really wanted super effective hits against Fairy so I went for Amoonguss (I'm still not to sure over this slot so if you guys could recommend a different pokemon or tell me to keep it the same that would be great) Spore and Clear Smog shuts down pokemon setting up and giga drain combined with black sludge means it gains I good amount of HP per turn when the oppent is asleep. Sludge bomb for fairy coverage mostly.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball

Tapu Lele is my favourite of all Tapus and combined with the Choice Scarf shuts down every Dark, Dragon and Fighting pokemon. Psychic I use for STAB and with the terrain on the field, does huge amounts of damage and for poision (like I mentioned before is common) and fighting. Thunderbolt for water coverage mainly as I find I use thunderbolt mainly for water types. Moonblast shuts down any Dragon type which are obviously very common and also for dark types like Tyranitar who I find a big threat. Shadow ball for coverage against ghost like Alolan Marowak and Gengar, who are a threat to Tapu Lele.

This is my team I hope to use in Rated Battle Spot Singles. If any Evs are seriously wrong pls correct me and if there is a different pokemon that fills the requirements to replace Amoonguss, pls let me know.

Thx:)

Hi dude! I'm going to try to help a little, starting with the single sets:

Volcarona @ Life Orb / Firium-Z / Focus Sash / Bugium-Z
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe -> 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance -> Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass] -> Giga Drain / Hidden Power [Ice]
- Quiver Dance

I think it's pretty crucial to outspeed threats such as Scarf Tapu Lele after a Quiver Dance; you'd need 220 EVs to do that, but since there are a lot of Volcarona around being max speed might be the best idea. As for the moves, since it gets Giga Drain you should use it instead of Hidden Power. A good idea could be to have HP Ice for Dragons and to have a stronger fire STAB, since you'd still hit very hard after a Quiver Dance, specially with Life Orb.
To increase the chances of setting up, Focus Sash might be a pretty solid choice on Volcarona, whereas if you want to hit extremely hard (for example if you need to OHKO very bulky mons such as Cresselia or Porygon2) Z-Crystals are a good bet.

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return -> Double-Edge
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw -> Roost / Draco Meteor (switching it to a Naive nature)
Since its ability Aerilate got nerfed, if you are willing to use a Jolly nature, imo Double-Edge is the preferred STAB, even with Dragon Dance setups. Return won't get the OHKOes you need even being at +1, and you would often be forced to try to set up a second dragon dance, lowering mence's chances to survive and sweep.
Speaking of Dragon Claw, it really doesn't hit that hard and you will often miss the OHKOes, specially if you run a Jolly nature. For example it has just 6% chances to OHKO Garchomp, dealing to it just a little bit more damage than Double-Edge, that would KO Chomp at +1 aswell. A healing option in Roost, or a potent STAB as Draco Meteor, that can actually take care of Dragons and don't care about Intimidate if an opposing Mence comes in, could both be good options.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 28 SpA / 232 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp

I'm not that expert in building rotoms to be fair, but since Celesteela can check your Mega very hard, it might be worth to run some evs in speed to outspeed max speed Steela; you need 68 EVs and a Timid nature for that. I'm not really sure about this idea, so it's pretty much up to you. You can also consider Waterium-Z or Electrium-Z (switching out tbolt for Thunder) as two options for your item, or a Chesto Berry putting Rest over one of those Electric attacks.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def -> 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 Spe (Impish) or 228 HP / 4 Atk / 4 Def / 68 SpD / 204 Spe (Jolly)
Impish / Joly Nature
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Facade -> Substitute
- Toxic / Guillotine

I'm not really sure on Gliscor being that common, but do think that it's a pretty viable pick. From my personal experience, Gliscor's most threatening sets are the one that run enough speed to make a good use of the combination of Substitute and its ability Poison Heal. It also has the access to Guillotine, that is pretty good if you have a sub up.
The first spread of EVs allows to outspeed Jolly Breloom by 1 point, while still being pretty bulky; the second one was the most popular spread in gen6 that allowed it to outspeed max speed neutral natured base 100, adamant chomp, and to survive to Modest ScarfRotom HP Ice.

About Amoongus, i do like it in Bss even if it's a pretty niche mon, but i don't really see it fitting your team. Imo you should try Aegislash or Celesteela, gaining not only a great answer to Fairy-type, but also a pretty strong Tapus / Pheromosa check with Aegislash, or a great tank for Dragons with Celesteela.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)