SM PU Beedrill Stall (peaked #1, 1661)

Introduction

Welcome to my second RMT using a few unconventional Pokemon in a surprisingly effective manner. While messing around with a few meme teams, I noticed how effective Wormadam-Trash and Gastrodom synergized together and wanted to build a team around it. Given the passive nature I wanted the team to go in, it was built around toxic stalling, therefore making the incentive of the team to get up and keep up toxic spikes then proceed to wall. Through some trial and error, I ended up with a team utilizing 3 unconventional Pokemon. It requires a lot of pivoting and can make games quite long but I still think it is a fun team nonetheless. The entire team acts as a defensive core in a way with each mon being able to wall or check a certain portion of the meta game with the exception of Beedrill mainly providing utility.

Wormadam-Trash (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Flash Cannon
- Endeavor​
Wormadam serves as the team's rocker while also providing a wide array of resistances and a poison immunity. It is able to soft check to most special attackers lacking fire type coverage. Toxic is to be able to provide chip damage and Flash Cannon means it isn't total taunt bait. Endeavor works as a way to potentially cripple a threat that works well in conjunction with toxic. It's job is simple: set up rocks, tank hits, poison, and attempt to provide chip damage onto anything that can't KO it.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Recover
- Toxic
Gastrodon is very bulky and difficult to take down as is as it has good overall bulk, but with Wormadam covering its grass weakness and susceptibility to toxic, it becomes even harder. In addition, Gastrodon checks fire types and physically offensive rock types which pressure. It is able to pressure steel and poison types which the team struggles to pressure otherwise. It finds ease in switching in and finds many opportunities to recover up.

Beedrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Roost
- Toxic Spikes
From conception, the team felt like it needed toxic spikes in order to consistently be able to apply pressure given the passive nature of the team. Originally the spot went to Weezing, however, after a few battles it was very apparent that spikes and toxic spikes were impossible to get rid of if the opponent played their spin blocker correctly. Beedrill was added because it is able to compress 3 roles: toxic spikes setter, toxic spikes remover, and defogger. Its bulk is not the greatest but it is enough to allow it to defog or set up toxic spikes on special attackers who cant KO or set up toxic spikes. U-turn allows it to provide some momentum the team lacks. Roost provides reliable recovery and allows it to use things like Gastrodon and Weezing as set up fodder.

Avalugg @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Avalanche
- Recover
- Rapid Spin
Avalugg is the secondary hazard remover and blanket physical wall. With wish support, it allows it to keep its Sturdy a bit more and is able to check most psychical attackers including weaker fighting types such as Hitmonchan and Primape. I've switched between mirror coat and earthquake but I've found earthquake to be more consistent and it provides a better answer to steel and poison types while still being able to accomplish the same last ditch double down on fire types should sturdy be intact.

Audino @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Heal Bell​
Audino serves as the blanket special wall capable of surviving even choice specs Drampa's Draco. Though most of the team has reliable recovery, wish support is still appreciated to prevent some 2kos and allows pivoting to be done easier. Since a lot of fire types carry HP grass, Audino is able to scout for choice locked mons, and pivot into the appropriate check or stay in should it be abler to wall. knock off is great utility that prevents Audino from being set up fodder and makes matchups with Stuntank, Sableye, and strong offensive threats more manageable. Finally heal bell is used to prevent other team members from being toxiced themselves.

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Recover
- Night Shade
Sableye uses an unconventional SubToxic set so it can not only spinblock but also toxic stall out spinners. Prankster toxic allows it pressure any mon not behind a sub should one get out of hand. Since Sableye forces a lot of switches, it is able to get a sub easily and with prankster substitute and recover, it can 1v1 many threats. Night Shade allows it to be able to deal consistent damage which quickly racks up with toxic. It is also allows it to wear down anything immune to toxic or prankster moves and is more threatening to Gurdurr who gives this team a headache.

Conclusion
The team is definitely odd and has still surprised me on how it works so well. I have only used this team on the ladder so take that as you will. I know most people hate stall but i hope you enjoyed nonetheless.

Wormadam-Trash (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Flash Cannon
- Endeavor

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Recover
- Toxic

Beedrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Roost
- Toxic Spikes

Avalugg @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Avalanche
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Audino @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Heal Bell

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Recover
- Night Shade

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've been struggling to provide a meaningful rate for a while, but might as well get this over with. The fact is, while this team may have had ladder success it has a ridiculous amount of structural and set flaws that hold it back from really being any good at all. It's always hard to do this for RMTs posted that correlate a #1 peak to some kind of team success, but the fact is that this team is highly flawed and needs a lot of major fixes. I'm just getting this out of the way now because it's reasoning for why I'll be suggesting you change so much despite the "success" this team has seen. Ladder being really really bad and especially bad when facing stall often provides confirmation bias for a team's validity, but in this case it's really not valid.

Anyway, the way I would start fixing this team is just dropping Avalugg, Wormadam-Trash, and Beedrill. Like maybe you could make one of these work on its own, but all three of those are just awful in the current metagame and trying to make three fairly unviable Pokemon work at once is a lot of pressure on a team. It's part of the reason why certain threats like Magmortar, most Nasty Plot users, Calm Mind Mesprit, Drampa, HP Fire Lilligant, Absol, Carracosta, etc. practically 6-0ing this team on their own, forgetting about the team support 5 other mons can provide. None of these Pokemon are shown to have concrete niches through this team either. Wormadam checks Jynx very slightly better than Ferroseed I guess and is probably the most viable of the three, but is still incredibly passive and lacks a lot of advantages most other Stealth Rock users have (especially Ferroseed). Avalugg is a fairly ineffective Rapid Spin user in the current metagame and still leaves the team open to a good few physical attackers like Carracosta and SD Superpower Absol. Beedrill is the only Pokemon with Toxic Spikes and Defog, but good lord that's not a niche. Fitting Defog somewhere else on the team or figuring out another way to play around Spikes (Natu's happening right now I guess) is absolutely better than what's essentially dead weight when it comes to playing around pretty much any major threat to stall. To make one of these Pokemon work would take some solid teambuilding (especially Beedrill, I can at least kind of see where you're going with the other two), but all three really feel like they're weighing the team down. The only reason I'm not suggesting replacements is because I'd basically be building an entirely new stall team in your thread from the already somewhat common core of Audino/Gastrodon/Sableye, and that isn't my intent. Speaking of those last 3 mons, I would also try Earthquake Relaxed Gastrodon (helps vs HP Grass Magmortar which otherwise blows through this team) and a more standard Sableye set since I really can't see Sub/Toxic doing anything notable for you (as in almost every traditional Sableye check beats it just as easily), although Night Shade is actually somewhat interesting. These rates always suck to do and I hope it's not too disheartening to have someone come in and say that your whole team is just flawed. You still did well to make this work on ladder and I do like the idea behind it, it's very close to other teams I've seen using the Ferroseed/Gastrodon/Audino/Sableye core and I do think there's still merit here if you move past the more questionable choices. Hopefully some of this helped you out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)