SM OU Better Now - 12-1 record to reach 1941 #24

Introduction
Hello! I'm vso and this is my second rmt and my 250th post. I will not be able to be very active for the next 3 weeks so I decided to make this RMT now. This is a team that I built only a few days ago and it was around a Snorlax set that I thought was fairly interesting. I was originally going to use a different team for this rmt and this was created much after my first team, which I had a peak with. My gxe was good at that time(88.8) so even after using a few fun teams to test a lot of my ideas quickly and see which ones have some merit I still had a reasonable(84) gxe. This was also where my idea of using the Snorlax set came from. After a few games, I was able to have my best record on high ladder, which was 12-1 to regain most of the points i had lost by using meme teams. I think that this record more than accounts for the low peak number wise and I personally think that it was right to not ladder a new account up as 85 is not the worst of gxes and I was tired of laddering. The feat was one that proved to me that the Snorlax had a niche, at least on this team. Snorlax was the fuel of the team and had a fantastic role on the final team. While the team was put together in little time and it was a really standard team, I will still keep a Teambuilding Process for those who still want to see how I made the team.

Teambuilding Process
Snorlax and Magnezone were the first two pokemon on the team. They form a fantastic core as Magnezone stops most of what defensive checks Snorlax including Curse Mega Scizor, Celesteela, and Ferrothorn forces it to rest. I wanted a volt turn core to continuously pivot Snorlax in, in order to maximize its breaking capabilities.

Next, Mega Latios was added. It was meant to perfect the matchup against Heatran and also abuse Magnezone trapping. It would also be meant as a ground check. Mega Latios was also meant to help Snorlax beat fighting types such as Keldeo while asleep.

The core of Toxapex and Tapu Bulu was added next. This helped me have a defensive core that could handle Toxic Spikes, provide another Zygarde check, check strong water types like Greninja-Ash and Mega Swampert. Tapu Bulu also forms a fantastic stall breaking core with Snorlax and Magnezone. Snorlax lures in Tapu Bulu checks on stall like Rocky Helmet Tangrowth and Unaware Clefable, while Magnezone traps Pokemon like Celesteela and stallbreaks.​

Gliscor was the last Pokemon on the team. It was chosen as a Volt Switch immunity, a Stealth Rock user, and the mon that finished the Volt-Turn core. It also does what Clefable often does in balance in being a status absorber after Toxic Orb has activated. Gliscor further eased the Heatran matchup.
(latias)
The team was now seeming slightly weak to Iron Tail Zygarde. Mega Latios also wanted to fit in both Ice Beam and Defog but it could not, and Mega Latias was the Pokemon of choice to help viably run both Defog and Ice Beam and has superior bulk that helps it checks the likes of Zygarde and Hawlucha better.
Now, the team was looking slightly too weak to strong Fighting types namely Mega Medicham and Mega Lopunny. It was also tripling on good Heatran checks, which I did not think was needed, so I picked Mew instead of Mega Latios. However, in practice, even though Mega Medicham was a rough matchup, it was far from unwinnable and I also kept a version with Mega Latias > Mew, which has more speed, and my record with the Mega Latias version against Mega Medicham was 4-1(replays later).
The Team

Snorlax @ Normalium Z
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
Curse
Earthquake
Double-Edge
Rest​
Snorlax has been tried time and time again in SM and USM OU and the most notable Snorlax set was Iapapa Berry + Gluttony Lax. However, I think that this Snorlax set can also be viable. It is one of the best Heatran counters as thick fat allows it to snack even Inferno Overdrives. This set comes in on a lot of Pokemon including, Heatran, Clefable, Toxapex, Mega Latias, Mega Latios, Greninja-Ash, Mew, Celesteela, Tangrowth, AV Amoonguss, Reuniclus, and Gastrodon. It also is extremely handy for boosters like Charizard-Mega-X, Blacephalon, Gyarados-Mega and Zygarde after it loses its Z Move and beats them even if they get one boost up. There is very little that defensively appreciates facing Snorlax. People often under appreciate Snorlax's attack stat unboosted, however, this set sets the record straight. Maximum Attack EVs and an Adamant Nature guarantees an ohko on Mega Latios with its Z Move and 56 speed is essential for beating Toxapex before it loses its speed due curse and beat it. Curse is chosen to perform something similar to the "CurseLax". However, this is different as it focuses on dealing as much damage as it can and this helps immensely with CM Clefable, SD Gliscor, Landorus-T, and CM Reuniclus and Rest helps cure statusses and keep Snorlax healthy, in spite of Snorlax's low speed its able to rest on a variety of threats even with little health. While this will probably lose the surprise factor after I post this rmt, I believe that this will still keep its role on the team as a balance breaker that can pivot into a plethora of threats..

252+ Atk Snorlax Breakneck Blitz (190 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios-Mega: 303-357 (100.6 - 118.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Snorlax Breakneck Blitz (190 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Pinsir-Mega: 258-304 (95.2 - 112.1%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Snorlax Breakneck Blitz (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 399-469 (101.2 - 119%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Snorlax Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Toxapex: 146-174 (48.1 - 57.4%) -- 46.5% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ Atk Snorlax Breakneck Blitz (190 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Toxapex: 210-247 (69.3 - 81.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ Atk Snorlax Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 92 Def Toxapex: 138-164 (45.5 - 54.1%) -- 44.5% chance to 2HKO
0 SpA Mew Ice Beam vs. 200 HP / 0 SpD Thick Fat Snorlax: 30-36 (5.8 - 7%) -- possibly the worst move ever
0 SpA Toxapex Scald vs. 200 HP / 0 SpD Snorlax: 49-58 (9.5 - 11.3%) -- possible 9HKO
252 SpA Heatran Inferno Overdrive (180 BP) vs. 200 HP / 0 SpD Thick Fat Snorlax: 135-160 (26.4 - 31.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 SpA Blacephalon Flamethrower vs. 200 HP / 0 SpD Thick Fat Snorlax: 76-91 (14.8 - 17.8%) -- possible 6HKO
252+ Atk Snorlax Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Blacephalon: 354-418 (143.3 - 169.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 200 HP / 0 SpD Snorlax: 91-108 (17.8 - 21.1%) -- possible 5HKO

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
Thunderbolt
Volt Switch
Flash Cannon
Hidden Power [Fire]​
Scarf Magnezone provides extremely important trapping support that helps Snorlax. It traps most defensive answers including Celesteela, Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Kartana. Scarf Magnezone is also the fastest mon on this team. It helps against fairies such as Clefable, Tapu Bulu, and Tapu Lele . It is also a nice flying resist which helps against Mega Pinsir and Tornadus-T. However, the initial Tornadus switchin is always Toxapex and you dont want Magnezone to take a lot of damage from Heat Wave. It provides momentum which is nice for Snorlax to use. Try not to play overly aggresive with this because its the only form of speed on the Mew version of the team. Choice Scarf is used to outspeed Kartana and Mega Pinsir and this has far superior bulk than Magneton which helps it live a Kartana Sacred Sword. Magnezone is completely neccesary to keep as it is a fundamental part of both the offensive and defensive elements of the team.

Toxapex @ Payapa Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 104 SpD
Bold Nature
Toxic
Scald
Haze
Recover​
Toxapex is a crucial member of the team. It's usage has skyrocketed back up and has way overtook Gastrodon again. Payapa Berry Toxapex is rising in Popularity. This gives the team a way to beat Clefable, SG Magearna, Protean Greninja, and Mega Scizor. With Kartana being removed by Magnezone, Toxapex balances become a massive annoyance to play. Regenerator is on nearly every balance right now to not get overwhelmed by more offensive teams and freely pivot around bulkier backbones. The spread allows Toxapex to live a Choice Band Tyranitar Crunch after Stealth Rock and not die to sand, while also improving roles against DD Zygarde and Mega Swampert. The team does not need that much special defense on Toxapex as Tapu Bulu is a fairly solid water resist already, unless playing teams like rain or the rare Ice Beam Ash-Greninja. Payapa Berry is now a standard item that allows Toxapex to deter Psychic types like Mega Latios from coming in and also helps against Psychium Volcarona and Z Celebrate Victini and Toxic or haze them. Scald is a STAB move that can help burn foes. 156 Def allows Toxapex to survive one Banded Tyranitar Earthquake after Stealth Rock and proceed to eat sand damage.

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 248 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
Swords Dance
Horn Leech
Superpower
Synthesis​
SD + Synthesis Tapu Bulu has also risen considerably in popularity. Paired with Magnezone and Snorlax, many Tapu Bulu checks like Celesteela, Mega Scizor, Mega Latios Toxapex, and Unaware Clefable are lured in already. Tapu Bulu provides Grassy Terrain, which helps Magnezone recover a little HP. Leftovers in combination with Grassy Terrain, Leftovers, and Synthesis insure that Tapu Bulu will not get weakened. This is the secondary check to Gliscor and the primary check to Pokemon such as Tapu Koko and Greninja-Ash. While you can run 72 speed to creep 176 Tyranitar and anything in that zone, I honestly think that this spread accomodates for my Mega Alakazam weakness as it gives Modest Mega Alakazam a far lower(13) roll to 2hko after rocks. It is extremely nice that Magnezone can trap Kartana as Kartana can be a huge threat to many Tapu Bulu teams, which provide it free Grassy Terrain.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 48 Def / 80 SpD / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
Stealth Rock
Earthquake
U-turn
Roost​
Gliscor is the next pokemon on my team. It helps provide a psuedo-status absorber, a Stealth Rock user, and provide momentum allowing Magnezone to trap the likes of Celesteela and Ferrothorn without risking double switches. It can also give free switches to Snorlax. This is the secondary check to Heatran, the volt immunity, and the stealth rocker. Gliscor often is crucial for the team as it is the only pokemon immune to spikes. That said, Magnezone usually can trap Ferrothorn so Mew only needs to Defog once. The set is fairly self explanatory - Stealth Rock because every team in OU needs Stealth Rock, Earthquake for a STAB that hits Heatran and Roost is for maintaning health as even with Poison Heal it gets chipped down fairly easily and U-Turn to help pivot around and not lose momentum. The speed EVs help it outspeed everything up to Hoopa-U, notably including Heatran.

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 156 Def / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
Ice Beam
Will-O-Wisp
Soft-Boiled
Defog​
Mew is the last Pokemon on this team and is very important to help against Fighting Types like Mega Medicham and provide hazard removal. I think pairing Mew with Magnezone and Toxapex eliminates the majority of the flaws people have as it being a defogger. It is known to be extremely pressured, especially when hazards are up. However, with the most common and consistent spiker being trapped by Magnezone(Ferrothorn) and Toxic Spikes already being absorbed. Mew is not that solid of a Z Zygarde check as a +1 Tectonic Rage always OHKOs Mew after Stealth Rock Damage. However, it only comes in on one mon in Magnezone and even if everything goes wrong and its Iron Tail + Groundium Z which is a fairly rare set, the team has Snorlax, which can Curse on the Thousand Arrows and live the next one allowing it to ohko with Breakneck Blitz. Mew is also the primary Gliscor check and can burn Pokemon such as Tapu Bulu. You are not heavily pressured to double switch out of Mew onto Heatran switchins as the team has two extremely solid Heatran switchins. Try to burn opposing Toxapex's on the switch with Mew to allow Snorlax to guarantee a 2hko before rocks, however this is not mandatory. You can even consider Thunder Wave > Will-o-Wisp to help paralyze threats like Mega Alakazam and Greninja-Ash and accomodate for the team being fairly slow.

Threatlist
While on paper this is far worse than in practice, Mega Alakazam has the potential to be devastating for the team. Notably, the Calm Mind set is extremely dangerous since it can boost up to +6 and while I've never faced Calm Mind Alakazam + Ferrothorn, this core has the ability to be devastating as Mega Alakazam traps Magnezone which is choice locked into Hidden Power Fire. Try to stop this from Mega Evolving, and when it does, try to Toxic it so at least its on a timer while boosting. The modest set can also be a threat but it only comes in on Mew and perhaps Magnezone. Try not to burn it and without Spikes up, Mega Alakazazam has an extremely low roll to 2hko Tapu Bulu after Stealth Rock. Optimally, you will only have to go Mew and Magnezone once so you're fairly good against it as long as you dont burn with Toxapex and try to Toxic it on the switch.

Mega Heracross is far rarer, however with the Sub SD set Mega Heracross is extremely hard to handle for the team. You can try to burn with Mega Latios and chip it down with Gliscor/Toxapex/Magnezone or lure it in with lax, but this has very few countermeasures and teams cant handle everything. Try to weaken this and block it from it continuously getting wished back up to full health.

Mega Medicham is the biggest threat on the Mega Latias version. Even though my record was 4-1 against this on ladder, many people failed to play Medicham correctly and therefore it was easy to take advantage of. Mega Medicham is a threat to many balance builds, and centering this around Snorlax makes it weaker to Medicham. However, Medicham gets limited switches onto only Snorlax and Gliscor, both of which have the ability to severely damage it or pivot into Toxapex, Magnezone, Mega Latias or staying in, this is again a bigger threat on paper than in practice.

Simply put, Mega Heracross is devastating to the team if its the Substitute + Swords Dance set. While you can consider putting Psychic on Mega Latias, Mega Heracross simply is not relevant enough to justify Psychic over Thunder Wave, which helps accomodate low speed and helps force out threats including Medicham and cripple Greninja-Ash and be a general annoyance on pokemon such as Clefable and Heatran, while Snorlax has an even easier time killing Toxapex. Mega Heracross has got extremely limited counterplay and the best you can do is to chip it down and block wishes by threatening to status and let it get 2-3 kills maximum.

Tapu Lele is not a huge threat to my team if it has any set other than the rare Choice Specs set. However, there is one team on top ladder that 3 people spam, which has Choice Specs Tapu Lele stall and that made it considerably harder to get a good peak number wise. If its any other set, Tapu Bulu + Magnezone does well against it. Choice Specs is able to deal a lot of damage to Tapu Bulu and you must lure it in Thunder Wave with Mega Latias or Toxic with Toxapex. This has the ability to 2hko every single member on the team and if its used on a team which has a backbone that this team struggles against, it becomes extremely hard to beat.

Lastly...
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-774383430
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-775043331 - here i would have killed a lot more with lax if it didnt get crit by tapu bulu as my opponent literally could not kill it if it was awake in grassy terrain. the magma dodges made him lose pp but they were good at first to give him leftovers, but eventually i managed to pp stall it.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-774377297
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-774571573 - turn 34 dodge did not matter because my snorlax only took 23 from the scarftar-> shown later.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-774574240

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-774445263
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-774576173 - Mega Latias vs Mega Medicham
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-774476603 - Mega Latias vs Mega Medicham 2.0
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-774670361- Mega Latias vs Mega Medicham 3.0 the last one was the best but i forgot to save so i lost it
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-775746967 - shows how you can play aggresively with glisc (risk a possible scenario where shuca koko clicks hp ice against gliscor)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-774443623
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-774394758
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-774665982
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-774672054
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-774442268- shows how this team can beat random teams on ladder

I think Mega Latias is an interesting mon on the team with one set. The set is Thunder Wave. Here, the team literally does not need any of Surf/HP Fire as this is a weird occasion where the team has an amazing matchup against Heatran and can easily trap Ferrothorn. In this case, the team really wants a way to pressure CM Alakazam, Mega Lopunny and prevent Greninja-Ash from consistent coming in and getting layers up. Outside of that, Mega Latias gives the team more speed, which is the largest issue that I had with the Mew version. Thus, Magnezone becomes far less neccesary after it traps what it needs to. In my opinion, it is nearly as good as Mew on this team.

daydream (Snorlax) @ Normalium Z
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Double-Edge
- Rest

FIRE BRIGADE (Magnezone) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

darkness (Tapu Bulu) @ Leftovers
EVs: 224 HP / 216 SpD / 68 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Synthesis

inpexination (Toxapex) @ Payapa Berry
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover

poison enhancing (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 44 Def / 84 SpD / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Roost

levitation hack (Latias-Mega) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Roost
- Defog

daydream (Snorlax) @ Normalium Z
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Double-Edge
- Rest

FIRE BRIGADE (Magnezone) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

inpexination (Toxapex) @ Payapa Berry
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover

darkness (Tapu Bulu) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 248 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Synthesis

poison enhancing (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 48 Def / 80 SpD / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Roost

broken ruins (Mew) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 156 Def / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled
- Defog

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)