CAP 13 CAP 2 - Part 10 - Non-Attacking Moves Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Allow Substitute

If only for the concept's sake, Substitute is a necessary inclusion to its movepool. Can we really say that we tested the limits and uses of Sketch on an average OU-level Pokemon if we don't include a move that almost every other Pokemon receives? For competitive reasons, yeah, it does add some mystery to the opponent's guessing game. Honestly though, very few viable sets will want to waste a moveslot that could be used for coverage or STAB with Substitute. (Quiver Dance being the most notable in viability.)

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
@ SJCrew I really don't think Stealth Rock would 'open the way for a Terrakion sweep' particularly easily. Toxic Spikes don't help anyone to sweep, and Stealth Rock can be and is set up by half of OU anyway. Stealth Rock + Spore isn't even enough for Terrakion to sweep, considering that Necturna switch-ins are NOT Terrakion switch-ins, and Stealth Rock isn't enough to outright KO a fair few of his checks. Spikes is a different story though.
I made an error in my post there. Both Stealth Rock and Spikes being allowed would be pretty broken on Necturna, but I'm not happy about the idea of her getting even one of those. It immediately gives her support sets the edge, since her stats and typing make a better defensive Pokemon than offensive, and it increases the possibility of her becoming 'standardized' rather than versatile. Necturna with one hazard of her choice is not broken, just counterproductive.

@ Rising Dusk: While I am not looking forward to facing any of the sets you've posted, it's not because of Substitute, but because of the Sketched move. Ways to handle something like offensive Life Orb or Quiver Dance are limited to the same options with or without the Sub. For example, Skarmory won't be able to touch her if she's packing the right move since it's slower and has to guess/double back to a bulky offensive Pokemon that can take a Shadow Claw. Even with the prediction ease of Sub, she still doesn't have enough power or coverage for everything, and the likes of Salamence, Dragonite, and Haxorus can just switch in on her and decimate no matter which move she chooses (if it's not Ice Beam...).

The way I see it, Substitute works about as well as Necturna as it does on any other Pokemon. If their coverage is good enough and you can force something out, you're probably going to lose a Pokemon. But Necturna by her own merits is not even threatening enough to make the case that you're going to lose something to her unless you predict correctly. That's all up to what Sketch move she chooses. With her stats and immediate options looking the way they do, she frankly doesn't need another unnecessary nerf.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Incorrect. I said that Substitute is an integral part of most competently built Pokemon, not that competently built Pokemon had to have Substitute. There is an important difference. Nearly every Pokemon in the game has Substitute, so it seems natural that one of the questions we should be asking ourselves is how, exactly, does Substitute affect a Pokemon that can pick almost any move? For all our theorymon, we do not exactly know the answer to this, hence why I advocate the "let's find out" approach.
I don't see how this is actually any different from what you are saying it is not. Essentially you are saying, a Pokemon that is competent does not require Substitute, but all competent Pokemon have it. Additionally, that logic seems like more of something for a study of Substitute, not sketch. We should not be looking at how Sub effects Sketch. It is about Sketch and only Sketch, so the argument that we should be looking at how Sub effects it is irrelevant. Wanting to know how Sketch effects Substitute is fine, but it is just one possible thing, and is not necessary at all.

Wobbuffet is competently built in the same way that a plastic tower held up by a helicopter and an iron cable is competently built. It's not likely to fall down, that's true, but that doesn't mean that it must therefore be an example of excellent design. Wobbuffet itself is the product of a very lacklustre Pokemon given two important tools - Shadow Tag and Encore. As has been demonstrated, Encore broke Wobbuffet's usefulness by a not inconsiderable amount. I do not believe this would have happened to any Pokemon I would describe as "competently built".

You appear to be labouring under the assumption that the entirety of this argument is based around the principle of "everything else gets it, so Necturna should get it too". This is not the case. The argument is that Substitute the move is an integral part of the way that competitive Pokemon is played, and in order to simulate the effects of giving one Sketch move to an "average" Pokemon, it seems unreasonable to discard Substitute because of fears that it may be broken, when we don't know if it will be yet.
And yet despite your analogy, you do not once despute the fact that Wobbuffet is competently built. Sure, it might be sad and pathetic, but it is still competent. Now I know I probably could have come up with a better example than Wobbs (I just like him, so what?), but the fact is, no matter how strangely, Wobbuffet works and is a competent Pokemon. An important point is that people look at Pokemon like Wobbuffet and think, "well yeah, it is competent, but it is a gimmick. That is not how normal Pokemon are competent." Well, in case you have not realized, Necturna is a "gimmick" Pokemon too.

But even so, with all the tools she is getting, Necturna is going to be competent no matter whether we give her Sub or not, even without Sketch. Great stats and typing along with what will be at least a decent movepool are more than enough to make a Pokemon competent. Now it might not be as competent as you would like, but that is a result of us not giving it any move it might want to Sketch, not because of Substitute. So as far as I am concerned, the correlation between Substitute and "competence" is completely irrelevant here, if it is even existent at all.

I am fairly certain that every single CAP that has ever been made has been called broken at some point. I will not argue the point, because I do not know what the possible consequences of Substitute are either.
I will say that this is very true, and we are definitely in agreement that we cannot say for certain if it will break it or not. So this should not be a point for or against Sub. If we have other reasons not to give Sub, then why risk it, but by itself I would not say that this is a reason to disallow it.

I don't believe that anybody has claimed that Substitute is the ultimate move, and to be quite frank it is irrelevant for our purposes. Nobody is going to Sketch Substitute if it is not allowed, unless of course it's for a Leech Seed set, in which case you will be forced to forgo Sacred Fire.
I never said it is the ultimate move, simply that it might be. If you look at competitive Pokemon, what move is more prevalent that Substitute? Its power is undeniable. And I would certainly contest your assumption that it would never be Sketched. Do I know for sure? No, but I certainly think it is possible. And I think learning weather it will be or not is more valuable than seeing how good the predictable sets are with Sub allowed.

Also, on a different note, it will never be Sub Seeding with Sacred Fire anyways, as, unless the OP has a mistake, Leech Seed was disallowed.

I am not entirely certain how you are arguing that we will learn more about Substitute by ignoring it completely. Whether or not Substitute is there, we can make fairly accurate predictions about what will come to pass - we will still have a wide variety of offensive sets, and support sets, but some of them will have Substitute. If we have Substitute, then yes, we run the risk of making our sets offensively biased. If we do not have it, then sets will still be offensively biased, but with three attacking moves and one less turn to set up in.
I would start talking about the "fairly accurate predictions," but that is another topic completely. Basically, what I am trying to get at is that Substitute is a very powerful moves, and, more than people give it credit for, it shapes the sets of all Pokemon. I simply think that we will actually see a greater variety of types of sets without Substitute than if we allow it. We know how Sub boosters and Sub + 3 attack Pokemon work. We should be looking at how Sketch makes a Pokemon work, not which coverage move fits best with Ghost and Grass on a Sub set.

The distraction point is certainly an interesting one, and I'll admit I find it rather amusing that the same reasoning I have used before, I am now arguing against. Well, I suppose the reason it has not occurred to me that Substitute is distracting is because it is, in my opinion, a move that is represents a universal strategy - that of mindgames. Substitute simply works in tandem with other moves to produce new strategies, and it is a technique that nearly any Pokemon can employ. I am beginning to repeat myself now, so I shall stop.
Unfortunately, I think this is the kind of argument where flavor starts to leak in. I don't want to accuse you of having a flavor based argument, but really, what I get out of this is that you don't think it is distracting simply because everyone has it, and thus we are used to that type of strategy being on Pokemon. Simply put, the only reasons you present for it not being distracting are all based on the fact that all Pokemon get it. Whether or not it is based on the competitive fact that all Pokemon get it or the flavor reasons, that is simply not a convincing competitive argument to me. I think a good way to look at it is to think as if only 25% of Pokemon had it. If it was not such a universal move, would you still think that Necturna should get it? It should be about how it effects Necturna, not how it effects all the other guys who get it.

The point here is that we are learning something regardless of whether Substitute is there or not. The difference is that what we are learning essentially refers to two different Pokemon. I am of the opinion that the way that the move Substitute interacts with the rest of the Pokemon's movepool is a part of how Pokemon the game works, and that to not include Substitute is to remove an element of doubt that would be a factor for almost any other Pokemon. I think I am right in saying that you believe that this does not matter, and that only what we have specifically created should be judged based on the Sketch move, such that the traditional Pokemon build is irrelevant. This is a perfectly fine stance to take; however, there is no direct way to compare the two views objectively.
I certainly see what you are saying here. However, I think this is the kind of situation where people give Substitute too much credit. We have already done multiple things that would never be done on a "normal" Pokemon, and yet it is not having Substitute that sticks in People minds as the one thing that it needs to have to be an accurate comparison. Honestly, it is different enough already that I don't see why this should be any more important than anything else.

Why is how Sketch interacts with Sub any more important than how it interacts with any other move?

That is the question I want answered. If you can tell me that, then I would consider changing my mind. But right now I see negatives that outweigh the positives, so as a move I see as no more important than any other, that means I think it should not be allowed. It is as simple as that.

Okay, I've made my decision. I'm going to gun for allowing Substitute, and there are three reasons for this.

Firstly (because it's probably the most important one): Would it actually be broken?

Rising_Dusk has pointed out that a wrong prediction gives Necturna two turns to do whatever. However, many of these wrong predictions don't result in an instantly dead check. Furthermore, of the two sets given, only one actually boosts and poses a runaway threat that way.

Let's say Skarmory switches in expecting Sub+QD, but eats a Sacred Fire while it breaks the Sub. Now you're fairly certain that:

1. it's physical (or it isn't, if the damage is suspiciously low);
2. it's not a booster (okay, Swords Dance, but that comes with Speed and 4mss problems);
3. it's probably walled by Heatran and checked by some other stuff.

Well, what if Necturna uses Blue Flare? Okay, fine, you have a situation where Necturna just roasted one of its checks, but you now know that it's special AND it's not a Quiver Dance booster (Calm Mind, like Swords Dance, has Speed and 4mss problems). A similar thing happens if Heatran comes in and eats a Close Combat. Those are the two situations I can see in which Necturna actually KOes a check immediately. Note that you now know that Necturna is probably not a booster in both cases.

I think a lot of the fear is related more to the Sub+QD set (and possible variants) than the Sub + 3 Attacks sets. This looks more like Salamence than like a broken Pokémon to me. That may have been stupid last generation, but that's not necessarily the case now. The best strategy will likely be to assume Sub+QD and check accordingly. We can't pretend that every major check will work out every time on the first shot.

I'm not saying, "zomg it can't be broken at all ever," because I'm not sure anyone could truly make that call. I will address this later, but as far as likely predictions go, I think that we can be as reasonably sure as we can be at this point that Necturna won't be consuming the OU metagame and adding its biomass to her ghostly thighs. (Does she have thighs?)

...Oh right I have two other points.

Secondly:
jas said:
As I said, Substitute is one of the most powerful moves in the game, and I can't think of any better way to study the effects of it and of Sketch then by disallowing it. If it truly is the ultimate move, we would learn about that by having people sketch it.
I know bmb responded to this already, but I entertained this argument for a while prior to this discussion and I've concluded that the disallowed coverage moves in AM have prevented us from looking at Substitute by forcing it to be Sketched. The argument I'm making here is what I've repeated for the other NAMs: move combinations should be partially completed in the movepool proper, and completed using Sketch. Substitute completes the Substitute + coverage move combos, among possibly others. The fact that Substitute completes multiple possible combos is, I believe, a very good way of investigating the impact of Sketch.

Lastly:
Rising_Dusk (concept polls) said:
I'll be honest, Sketch is probably the most exciting idea I've ever read for a concept. I'm not scared of it; as a matter of fact, I'm enthralled by the idea of a real challenge. I don't want a safe CAP, I want the one I lead to be ballsy and really push the envelope.
Know where I'm going here? Substitute fits the original spirit of the concept. I mean, sure, our TL isn't the one who made the concept, but I'm sure this was the general thought that people who voted for the concept had going in. With Substitute, we possibly have THE big test of CAP 2's capabilities. In fact, the whole point of CAP is experimentation, and if there were any time to be bold about this, I say, this is the time.

DO THE IMPOSSIBLE, SEE THE INVISIBLE

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Let us assume that having Sub available makes the most common sets Sub + QD and Sub + 3 Attacks.

What exactly is wrong with that? Sub/QD uses Ghost/Fighting coverage, and without LO the damage is lackluster. 85 SpA is alright, but not amazing, and Specially Defensive Skarmory and Heatran still destroy it. In any case, Sub/QD is by definition Bulky Offense. Sub + 3 Attacks is not really Bulky Offense if you're using Life Orb, but it does give the set some actual flexibility. 81 Speed is not awe inspiring, and Necturna will be easily revenge killed.

We're talking 120/85/81 offensive stats here. Physical or specially oriented, these are not at all mindblowing, and arguably Substitute is what allows a physical variant of Sub + 3 Attacks to even exist, since Sub/Power Whip/Shadow Claw/Shadow Sneak is not impressing anyone.

In truth Substitute does plenty for support sets as well. Sub/Will-O-Wisp/Horn Leech/Circle Throw (Sketch) is quite a competent burn shuffler and support set (you can use Dragon Tail but then a Heatran problem arises and your SE coverage is better with CT) that Substitute enables that would otherwise not be possible.

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I think an important thing to think about is, in all likelihood, if CaP2 does not get Substitute, it will certainly not be Sketching it.

Substitute has been called one of (if not THE) best moves in the game. So far, most of the "Disallowed" moves are also in contention for the title: Wish, Spikes, Stealth Rock, Encore, Rapid Spin, Baton Pass, PHazing moves...all game-changing in their own way, all able to turn the tide of a battle. However, each of them stands a chance of being Sketched. Substitute does not. The reason for this is, at the end of the day, Substitute is really never the center of a set, and when it is it only goes on mons who get good coverage in 3 moves and have good offensive power. CaP2 has ok offense and bad coverage without Sketch.

I don't have an opinion on allowing or disallowing. Just felt I'd get my thoughts out there.

I might have trouble organizing my thoughts on the matter, but...

First, I just want to say that, from looking on the arguments from both sides of the spectrum, I hold on to what I think is a solid decision. I think that we should allow Substitute.

I want to address the fears that a lot of people reasonably have about Substitute giving Necturna the edge towards offensive sets. My opinion on this is that, while perfectly understandable, it just doesn't ring quite right with me. In all honestly, Necturna will be somewhat biased towards offensive sets, but not just because of her concept or stats or anything else, at least not for the most part. What really is going to make her an offensive Pokemon is her already existing movepool.

***BEFORE I GO ANY FURTHER, I WANT TO CLARIFY ON THIS***

The following examples could very well be used to say that Necturna can operate without Substitute, and thus we shouldn't bother giving it to her. What my point is in these following examples is that Substitute doesn't dominate the metagame, and that furthermore Necturna can operate with and without it. Adding Substitute to her movepool would not make it a staple, and also would most certainly not make her a pure offensive Pokemon.

--

(Competitive analysis is available by clicking on the image)

Latios, a Pokemon so powerful on the Special spectrum that it once was considered too powerful for standard play. No one would deny this guy his right as being one of the top dogs in OU; to do so would risk your team's destruction at the hands (or claws, I guess) of this monster's potent power.
However, you can look at it's most popular sets. None of them even consider Substitute an option, yet it's clearly there in it's learnable movepool. Not even the Calm Mind set finds it necessary to utilize Substitute to pull off a successful sweep. Instead, it's other movepool options suffice to let it be a more than viable threat to prepare for. It honestly wouldn't matter to Latios if he could learn Substitute, since he's diverse enough to handle himself without it...

...Yet, strangely enough, we also see a support set on this Pokemon (I refer to the Dual Screens Momento set). Among all of the other things it can do, it still finds a way to support the team through it's versatility. As I think it was said somewhere else in this thread, you use what you got. Pokemon with even an extremely obvious offensive bias are still considered for support options, if even for just their surprise factor.

(Once again, click on the image for competitive analysis)

This is another one I'd like to discuss. I'm sure we all know Heatran for his offensive prowess, which was especially noticed in his debut generation. With excellent coverage backed up by Hidden Power and a wonderful 130 base Special Attack stat, this is another thing which any serious team should have a answer to (I also find it cool that he has decent 91/106/106 defenses, making him a pristine example for bulky offense).

We see again, however, that on such an offensive Pokemon, Substitute isn't used on all but one of the most popular sets. Additionally, the first set which Smogonites see when they open up the analysis page is a Specially Defensive set, sporting entry hazards/status/Protect/STAB. Both Latios and Heatran have offensive biases, but also are abundant in tricks they can pull to viably support their team.

--

We cannot ignore the fact that Substitute is a powerful tool, and neither can we ignore that it most likely will be considered for many of Necturna's offensive sets. However, we can't let that information scare us into thinking that with Substitute, she will only be considered an offensive Pokemon. It stands to reason that she will be recognized for her offensive prowess anyway, and it stands from past example that even some of the most offensive Pokemon are still considered for their support options (another somewhat outdated example lies near the bottom of this page).

So far I've done my best to explain why Substitute shouldn't be generating the fears which it is, and not so much why I think it should be allowed in the first place. While I am of the personal opinion that I wouldn't be able to further the affirmative argument for the move as well as some of the other more experienced members on this thread, I would like to make special notice with something mentioned before by one of the members...

bugmaniacbob said:
I am not entirely certain how you are arguing that we will learn more about Substitute by ignoring it completely. Whether or not Substitute is there, we can make fairly accurate predictions about what will come to pass - we will still have a wide variety of offensive sets, and support sets, but some of them will have Substitute. If we have Substitute, then yes, we run the risk of making our sets offensively biased. If we do not have it, then sets will still be offensively biased, but with three attacking moves and one less turn to set up in.

[...]

I will say here, very briefly, that I think we ought to be careful about how far we go in terms of "manufacturing" Necturna. It is already doubtless that we have tried to shape Necturna to our vision of how it should turn out, but remember that we are supposed to be learning something here, which will not happen if we take out everything that has the slightest chance to derail the CAP from our immediate expectations.

The point here is that we are learning something regardless of whether Substitute is there or not. The difference is that what we are learning essentially refers to two different Pokemon. I am of the opinion that the way that the move Substitute interacts with the rest of the Pokemon's movepool is a part of how Pokemon the game works, and that to not include Substitute is to remove an element of doubt that would be a factor for almost any other Pokemon.
Among others, I find this to be a strong point in this issue. I'm afraid that I wouldn't do it much justice trying to surmise it, but I will use this as a token of what I view, among others, as reasons for supporting this move in the moveset.

As hard as it is to believe, it's past midnight here, and I have school to attend to tomorrow. Good night, everyone, and have a good day tomorrow.

I say Allow Substitute because the offensive arguments for CAP2 are not that great. Lets look at the two "scary" sub sets and compare them.

- Sub/QD/2 Attacks
Necturna has lackluster special attack and bad speed to start with. She can come with a sub sure, but even with a QD, she isn't hitting too hard still and can be outsped. Even with 2 QD's.

- Sub/3 Attacks
Necturna gets better coverage in this yet has no boosting ability. If she uses physical moves for her better attack, she is no worse off than something like Metagross.

Now to compare a very similar pokemon that would do these sets;

Volcarona has QD, and can use sub sets. Ignoring SR, Volcarona can (and has) run sub/QD/2 attack sets which we all know are managable. Sub+3 attacks on volc would be terrible, as we know QD is invaluble to making Volc a threat. I do not believe that substitute is a gamebreaking move. As said, if it is unavailible, NO ONE would sketch it, because it is not at all a central move needed for any specific set. It only helps some sets function more adaquately. Add on the fact that Necturna has no reliable recovery, and losing 25% from every sub (with low hp subs too) will wear her down fast.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I just want to contest one point that people are bringing up. People keep saying that there is no way Necturna would sketch Substitute. I just don't believe this is true. And the fact that almost every suggested set I have seen includes Substitute makes it even harder to believe. I mean,if all your sets run sub, then wouldn't a sub set with a weaker coverage move or booster be just as viable as one without sub at all? If you can't Sub+QD, is a Sub+CM set really that inferior to everything else it has? I just don't think anyone can bring up good evidence that Sub would not in fact be sketched. It is one of the best moves in the game, and it certainly could earn its spot as a Sketch move.

That being said, I don't think "it would never sketch it" is a valid reason to give it. There are plenty of great moves that it would never sketch but are not good for it to have naturally.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sketch is supposed to help her make up for her shortcomings as a bulky offensive Pokemon, and Substitute does not help her unless she's already patched up that need with the Sketch move. No one in their right mind is going to sketch Substitute when it's competing with Spore, Close Combat/Sacred Fire for Steels, and even Shell Smash. At the end of the day, you know neither one of us is going to vie for Sub when we have every move in the game. It is one of the best moves in the game, but not for all Pokemon, and especially not a Sketchless Necturna.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't see how this is actually any different from what you are saying it is not. Essentially you are saying, a Pokemon that is competent does not require Substitute, but all competent Pokemon have it. Additionally, that logic seems like more of something for a study of Substitute, not sketch. We should not be looking at how Sub affects Sketch. It is about Sketch and only Sketch, so the argument that we should be looking at how Sub affects it is irrelevant. Wanting to know how Sketch affects Substitute is fine, but it is just one possible thing, and is not necessary at all.
We appear to be speaking at cross purposes then, or as it were. You are saying, I think (and by all means correct me if I am wrong), that we should not include Substitute because it has an effect on Sketch. I am saying that we should include Substitute precisely because it has an effect on Sketch. I am interested in what the result is, because it is less predictable. If we are concerned about generating what has been called "a successful CAP" in the past, which essentially only means that it fulfils the concept and nothing else, then yes, the alternative view of thinking may hold water.

More to the point, I fail to see how the concept concerns Sketch and only Sketch. If that were true, we would not have given the Pokemon any moves at all. Though I see what you are saying, in that Necturna ought to be forced into being balanced in order to best determine the answers to the questions the concept raises, I do wonder if that is actually what is most important at this stage. For me, in any case, I prefer to maximise exactly what we are now prepared to chance - there is no need to cut corners when we're on the straight and narrow.

And yet despite your analogy, you do not once dispute the fact that Wobbuffet is competently built. Sure, it might be sad and pathetic, but it is still competent. Now I know I probably could have come up with a better example than Wobbs (I just like him, so what?), but the fact is, no matter how strangely, Wobbuffet works and is a competent Pokemon. An important point is that people look at Pokemon like Wobbuffet and think, "well yeah, it is competent, but it is a gimmick. That is not how normal Pokemon are competent." Well, in case you have not realized, Necturna is a "gimmick" Pokemon too.
I guess I didn't make it clear enough then. Wobbuffet is not "competently built". Similarly, a hypothetical Pokemon with 200 base Speed, 200 base Attack, Scrappy and Tinted Lens as abilities, and Explosion as its only move is not competently built, regardless of how well it may or may not perform. Perhaps we simply differ on our definitions of "competently built". "Works well in OU" or "competitively effective" does not equate to "competently built". For the sake of argument, my working definition is something along the lines of "A Pokemon that is both competitively viable and stable without over-reliance on any single element of its construction". Hence, not polarised, as Wobbuffet is.

Also, Necturna is not, when you disregard Sketch, a "gimmick" Pokemon. At least, it shouldn't be. The big big point behind it was that it should be a competently built Pokemon in its own right. "Gimmick" and "competently built" are not mutually exclusive, regardless. When regarding elements of Necturna's design you have to be willing to temporarily ignore the presence of Sketch, as that's the variable we are supposed to be investigating. This starts to lose meaning when you start pre-empting what will happen assuming its presence to be a factor. I should clarify that this point is null when applied to measures of brokenness, where assumption of Sketch is integral. But this is not the point debated here.

But even so, with all the tools she is getting, Necturna is going to be competent no matter whether we give her Sub or not, even without Sketch. Great stats and typing along with what will be at least a decent movepool are more than enough to make a Pokemon competent. Now it might not be as competent as you would like, but that is a result of us not giving it any move it might want to Sketch, not because of Substitute. So as far as I am concerned, the correlation between Substitute and "competence" is completely irrelevant here, if it is even existent at all.
I will say it again: Substitute was, is, and remains a key strategy that every ordinary Pokemon can use, and by arbitrarily combing it we are removing a combination that would be available to any other competently built Pokemon, were said Pokemon given one use of Sketch. I am not sure where this "correlation between Substitute and competence" comes from, since as I have said before, Substitute has only the bearing of the average move on whether or not a particular Pokemon is competent, but is a natural variable that has to be taken into account in a test of this nature. In short, that we are skewing the results unacceptably by removing it.

I will say that this is very true, and we are definitely in agreement that we cannot say for certain if it will break it or not. So this should not be a point for or against Sub. If we have other reasons not to give Sub, then why risk it, but by itself I would not say that this is a reason to disallow it.
"Why risk it?" is an interesting question, but I believe strongly that CAP is designed for us to take chances in order to see what the effects are. We aren't learning all that much if we repeatedly play it safe.

I never said it is the ultimate move, simply that it might be. If you look at competitive Pokemon, what move is more prevalent that Substitute? Its power is undeniable. And I would certainly contest your assumption that it would never be Sketched. Do I know for sure? No, but I certainly think it is possible. And I think learning whether it will be or not is more valuable than seeing how good the predictable sets are with Sub allowed.
Substitute requires a prerequisite for effective use. Typically this is a strong natural attacking move combination or raw power, neither of which Necturna could be described to have in spades. There is a reason that Gyarados does not use Sub+3 attacks sets (it does use SubDD, of course, but that's because Dragon Dance is an incredibly good move). Substitute absolutely requires the backing of a large movepool, which is something that Necturna likely will not be able to provide.
As for your second point - I think learning how Sketch affects a Pokemon

Also, on a different note, it will never be Sub Seeding with Sacred Fire anyways, as, unless the OP has a mistake, Leech Seed was disallowed.
What I said was that it could not use Leech Seed and Sacred Fire on the same set. Not sure what the inconsistency is here.

I would start talking about the "fairly accurate predictions," but that is another topic completely. Basically, what I am trying to get at is that Substitute is a very powerful move, and, more than people give it credit for, it shapes the sets of all Pokemon. I simply think that we will actually see a greater variety of types of sets without Substitute than if we allow it. We know how Sub boosters and Sub + 3 attack Pokemon work. We should be looking at how Sketch makes a Pokemon work, not which coverage move fits best with Ghost and Grass on a Sub set.
There are few Pokemon, to my knowledge, where Substitute is the be-all and end-all of absolutely everything they do. Certainly there are Pokemon who are powerful users of this move, such as Hydreigon and Heatran, but this mainly stems from, not surprise factor, but fear factor - the biggest attributes for both of these Pokemon are their respective abilities to come in and threaten. Were Substitute sets the standard, or the only options, they would lose a large amount of their potential viability. Hence for them to be successful requires a climate in which other sets are not only viable, but popular. Necturna does not carry with it the immediate threat that Heatran and Hydreigon do with any of their sets - it is around the same in terms of bulk and Speed, but lacks their immense offensive potential and, more importantly, coverage.

As far as I can tell, with or without Substitute there will be exactly the same number of viable sets, but with one difference - With Substitute, sets that use Substitute will be viable. Without it, they will not. At least, that's what I feel relatively comfortable in predicting. The fun is in the finding out.

Unfortunately, I think this is the kind of argument where flavour starts to leak in. I don't want to accuse you of having a flavour-based argument, but really, what I get out of this is that you don't think it is distracting simply because everyone has it, and thus we are used to that type of strategy being on Pokemon. Simply put, the only reasons you present for it not being distracting are all based on the fact that all Pokemon get it. Whether or not it is based on the competitive fact that all Pokemon get it or the flavor reasons, that is simply not a convincing competitive argument to me. I think a good way to look at it is to think as if only 25% of Pokemon had it. If it was not such a universal move, would you still think that Necturna should get it? It should be about how it affects Necturna, not how it affects all the other guys who get it.
I am not sure whether you are intentionally strawmanning my argument but whatever. My argument for it not being distracting is because it is an inherent part of all competent offensively-built Pokemon, in the same way that having an ability is inherent, and because of this merits looking at less as a single move and more as a battle condition in and of itself. Suppose, for example, that Politoed were the most-used Pokemon in OU, and no other weather-changers existed. In this case, rain would be the default battle condition, and hence it would affect our Sketch options. Close Combat or Earthquake becomes more reasonable under the circumstances than Sacred Fire, say. This is an extreme example, but highlights the point - there should be a base element of doubt in all Pokemon, which is applied by Substitute, and Sketch manifests itself in the form of new doubts. Such is the basis of unpredictability.

As for your question of whether or not I would feel the same way if it were not a universal condition of the offensive Pokemon, then no, I would not. In the same way that I wanted Taunt and Encore and Acid Spray and every single other move that has been brought up in this thread disallowed. I am not entirely certain of the meaning of that final line of yours, so I cannot in good grace answer.

As far as I can tell, your argument for it being distracting is that it defines the sets that are most usable. This is the case for almost every other Pokemon in the game, and yet it does not seem to do so in that sense. True, they don't have limitless unpredictability, but on the other hand they have a far greater scope for use of Substitute. Substitute is an incredible utility move, but that's all it is.

As for the aspersions on my reasoning, I should merely like to state that it depends, I suppose, on your definition of flavour. As far as I can tell, the only reason that what I said could have been interpreted as flavour is if you count flavour as being "everything that does not pertain to whether or not a move will break x Pokemon", which is certainly not my definition. There are few other ways to argue the competitive case of a move that has no quantifiable impact. My argument is based primarily on what we can expect to get out of the project and what we will learn, which means that I have an interest in relating Necturna as closely as possible to pre-existing Pokemon for comparison. To remove Substitute, in my eyes, as I have said before, is to implement an exception rule that places Necturna on a different plane to all other offensive Pokemon, and hence removes the comparison aspect.

Perhaps the single thing we seem to be disagreeing on is our view of what the Pokemon without Sketch should be like. I say that it should mirror existing Pokemon as closely as possible, such that it is possible to directly compare them. You say that it should be balanced to the utmost possible degree, such that it is the making of the Pokemon and the learning process associated that is successful. Which is odd because, normally, I would agree with you.

I certainly see what you are saying here. However, I think this is the kind of situation where people give Substitute too much credit. We have already done multiple things that would never be done on a "normal" Pokemon, and yet it is not having Substitute that sticks in People minds as the one thing that it needs to have to be an accurate comparison. Honestly, it is different enough already that I don't see why this should be any more important than anything else.
I don't see it that way. There is little in the build or design of Necturna that is vastly different to most ingame Pokemon. Substitute is perhaps the only and, I think crucially, the most competitively relevant exception, which means that yes, it will affect our ability to compare and contrast, especially considering how common it is.

Why is how Sketch interacts with Sub any more important than how it interacts with any other move?

That is the question I want answered. If you can tell me that, then I would consider changing my mind. But right now I see negatives that outweigh the positives, so as a move I see as no more important than any other, that means I think it should not be allowed. It is as simple as that.
This question seems to be irrelevant. Sketch's relationship with Substitute is only important insofar as how Substitute relates to the functioning of any ordinary Pokemon. You may well say "a move no more important than any other", and I would tend to agree with you. But its importance has no bearing on the argument, only that it happens to be a natural doubt condition that is common to all offensive Pokemon, in the same way that Protect is (with the exception of stuff like Regigigas).

I certainly can't convince you to change your mind, because your argument is operating along a totally different plane to that of my own. This is, I am afraid, a difference of opinion, so all I can do is propose that we agree to disagree.

This is a good discussion; I'm glad that we are having it.

I currently side with the party that Substitute should be allowed. I say this largely because of what has been said here by others. My biggest concern about allowing Substitute was never it distracting from the concept or it making CAP 2 too 'competent' (really, where did that even come from?). Rather, my concern was that it allowed several very different sets of CAP 2 with very different responses to all lead off the same way: with a use of Substitute. By using Substitute, CAP 2 divulges zero information about its nature, and thus may lead the opponent into switching in Jirachi where Jirachi is not a good choice vs. that set, and so forth. This messes up all of its counters with one of the Substitute sets. Some people have said that "Substitute doesn't add that much" and while I agree, it adds enough that it can create these very worrying situations as someone facing CAP 2.

I don't think that's too bad, though, having thought about it. I will continue to leave this discussion open for a little bit, and likely close this up with some final remarks when I get home from work tonight. I may have some last-minute moves to talk over, like Swords Dance and Agility, but we'll see.

I say Allow Substitute because the offensive arguments for CAP2 are not that great. Lets look at the two "scary" sub sets and compare them.

- Sub/QD/2 Attacks
Necturna has lackluster special attack and bad speed to start with. She can come with a sub sure, but even with a QD, she isn't hitting too hard still and can be outsped. Even with 2 QD's.

- Sub/3 Attacks
Necturna gets better coverage in this yet has no boosting ability. If she uses physical moves for her better attack, she is no worse off than something like Metagross.
The inherant problem is not immediately the offensive prowess of the Substitute sets, per se. Rather, the issue which was being presented with these sets (which is explained in both of Rising_Dusk's posts on the matter) is that they both start out with Substitute. This means that while you could switch in something like Blissey in response to the first set, you most likely wouldn't due to the fear of the second set. You don't know what is safe to switch in to Necturna until she begins attacking or setting up, quite possibly securing a sweep or killing one of your team members in the process.

In all honesty, this possibility is very real and is always going to be there if we allow Substitute. The only thing I can find myself to say is that these kind of threats and strategies are the kinds of things that competitive battlers face. These sets, while scary, are not unmanagable, but just that; a little scary.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I question the premise of even worrying about Sub/QD/2 attacks. What 2 special attacks is Necturna even going to have in it's natural movepool that combine to form any sort of meaningful threat in OU? Dual stab is going to be completely stopped by Skarmories and Ferrothorns. And Necturna's not getting too much else consequential.

I can't help but feel like people are really overhyping the potential of Necturna with Substitute. She'll be fun as hell, yes, but consider that Necturna has many similarities with Mew. Access to many moves, decent bulk and Special Attack, but otherwise a BST that dips below Mew's, of which finds itself stuck in UU. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not ignorant enough to say BST is everything to make a Substitute work. I am saying, however, that I don't believe that Necturna will have such momentum as to be able to decimate entire teams just from two mispredictions.

Shell Smash Necturna can easily be walled by Ferrothorn or Skarmory, hit with a powerful Gyro Ball or Brave Bird, and then quickly made no longer a problem with Thunder Wave or Whirlwind. Quiver Dance is dispatched of with physical Choice Scarf Pokemon or a mere Cloyster. Coil, Swords Dance, and Dragon Dance lose to other users like Salamence, Dragonite, Toxicroak, Scizor... Really, the list goes on. Necturna isn't capable of knocking out the competition like Volcarona or Cloyster. As for stall Substitute, multiple walls will completely embarass Necturna. Skarmory and Ferrothorn, again, wall any set not carrying Hidden Power Fire, while Blissey and Donphan make a fool out of Necturna not carrying Power Whip.

In short, carrying Substitute either makes Necturna an underwhelming attacker, completely counterable booster, or hilariously counterable wall. Her diversity is large and potent for sure, but she's only a jack of all trades, not queen of them. Necturna's sets really needs that coverage, so the choice between Substitute and coverage is plenty fair. So hopefully nobody else is on the fence about the decision of Substitute now, as I'd just like to either discuss other moves or move onto our controversial poll. Allow Substitute.

Only three posts in 11 hours? Yeah, this is winding down.

In this threads dying throes, I will make the following changes:
- Substitute is allowed
- Swords Dance stays disallowed
- Agility stays disallowed

My feelings about Substitute as they stand in finality are here.

There was little discussion about it, but I thought about it after it was posted about here. CAP 2 is slow for a SD user, and would only really be able to use it against stall teams and nothing seriously offensive. Swords Dance enables boosting sets that might be able to punch through a lot of Pokemon like slower Jirachi, Skarmory, and Heatran. Anything faster, though, can punch through CAP 2 relatively effectively, but that's beside the point. I genuinely feel that CAP 2 with a set of Swords Dance, Close Combat / Sacred Fire, Power Whip, Shadow Sneak would be a very threatening Pokemon, more so than it would be with other sets. I think that its ability to overwhelm other CAP 2 variants is exactly why I am keeping it disallowed. I want CAP 2 to be diverse. Agility is not amazing, but it fills a similar niche.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)