CAP 23 CAP 23 - Part 1 - Concept Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Alright, I'm going to give some of my own comments on each concept submitted so far. Feel free to PM me on Smogon, PS!, or Discord for elaboration or extra assistance. My comments tend to be on the shorter side, but hopefully they make you think about how to improve your concept on your own rather than me telling you how to fix it yourself.

Offensive Overtaker - I would review your questions some more. They're mostly vague, and for such a broad concept, they need to be the cornerstone to giving some direction to the concept. I would go back to your CAP toolkit as well, as your answers to the questions asked by each part are either confusing (especially your Tomohawk reference) or aren't adequately answered. In explanation, maybe you can talk about where you want your concept to go. Do you want to make balance teams more viable? Or do you just want to have a tool crush offensive teams better?

One Trick Ponyta - I like this concept, but given that the extreme restriction happens towards the end of the project, I'm just not sure. If we decide what small list of moves we use at the beginning of the concept, then the project risks becoming very linear. If we wait until the end, we don't have a direction the entire project. Again, extremely neat concept and I think it can succeed, but personally, I'm worried about the discussion it will generate.

Utility Counter - It's a rerun of Krilowatt, but we'd be able to look at the strengths and weaknesses of Krilowatt's process and apply them to CAP23. Perhaps elaborate on the last question and be a little more be specific on the end goal. It'd be an interesting project with the diverse, offensive meta.

Terrain - O - Saurus - Despite the limited number of abilities geared towards Terrains (and fewer that aren't just terrain setting abilities, since those are already on some hefty Pokemon), I think the concept could work out. I think focusing the concept on at least two terrains would make it more interesting, but that's just me.

The return of the fallen king - I'm sorry to be blunt, but your concept fails to address why we should consider building around this move. Last CAP, the Parting Shot had a pretty extensive list of questions and elaboration on the move. Take a look at it and see if you can come up with more topical questions and justification. I'm willing to help you out on this concept though.

Maximum Compression - This concept is very topical to the current metagame, as it is hard to counter everything, even to the point where a niche Pokemon can give well built teams trouble just because they were trying to cover main threats (looking at you Gastrodon). I'm glad you and HeaL merged together; I'd consider adding some of his questions though because they add to the submission very well.

Core Dismantler - This is a very well constructed concept. The only thing that worries me is that explanation is very focused on OU and not the CAP Metagame, but the explanation can be comparisons so it's fine.

Power Cleric - Aside from being eerily similar to part of HeaLnDeaL's concept's explanation...it looks like a good concept. I'd make your questions more focused because those questions could be on any concept. It's also pretty specific in what this Pokemon should do, leaving not much direction to go with it.

Hunker Down - Given the decreased prevalence of Roar, this concept seems pretty viable. It'd be interesting because almost no Pokemon chooses to boost defensively in the current metagame, aside from screens perhaps.

Use the Debuff - I'd shore up your questions section more, as there's a lot to ask about stat debuffs. For example, why is it preferred to boost yourself? What purpose does it serve to debuff?

He Lives in You - I like this concept a lot. It's got some variety in what moves we build around, and Z Crystal interactions to boot.

Weak But Skilled - I think the biggest problem with this concept is that it's too fluid. Do you want to explore a crippling movepool? ability? stats? I'd focus on a least one of them and keep one of these "constant," so we can say "A lacking movepool causes this Pokemon to suffer, but its ability can make up for it. I suggest this because the concept lacks a clear direction otherwise.

Full Potential - Is this supposed to be a concept about making a good teammate for otherwise unviable Pokemon? I like where this is going, but your concept doesn't explain it clearly. Your description is misleading, and your questions are vague.

Scizor of the Sun - I might ask a few more questions, specifically about typing (without poll-jumping) since the concept is so focused on it, but otherwise it looks good. Sun as an archetype has always had fewer abusers than rain and this CAP might be able to remedy this.

Z-Crystal Zealot - I know this one has gotten a lot of time on the PS! chatroom, but a big question this concept needs to address is opportunity cost. Sure, I can use my Z-Crystal on my Fairium Z Geomancy Necturna, but then I can't use it on Flyinium Z Smack Down Landorus-T. A big question for this concept definitely needs to be something like "why should you use this Pokemon over other Z move users?" or "what does opportunity cost play into picking a Z move?"

Hail to the Hail - Again, focus more on the questions. Try to account for Aurora Veil, Hail-specific abilities and their limitations, (Sand Rush gives an immunity to sandstorm to all types, Slush Rush does not, for example), and Hail-specific moves. It's a cool concept, but you need to build on it some.

The Chameleon - The only problem with this concept is that it's very specific on the abilities we pick or guarantees Reflect Type or Camouflage to be in its movepool. It also invalidates the typing stage somewhat. Otherwise it looks fine.

Match Up Defiant - I know we talked about this some, but I think you could explain this a little more clearly it'd help a ton. I feel like it only applies to very specific roles because lots of set-up sweepers have different match-ups against the same Pokemon. Maybe clarify a little more.

Bravest of Them All - I see what this concept is about. What you should do now is branch out and ask what we could learn from a Pokemon with lacking stats or lacking movepool having a good ability. Mimikyu is another example of an ability saving the viability of a Pokemon.

Split Down The Middle - "There really aren't any mons like this in the current metagame, that truely split the two widely different roles it can perform." The problem is that there are many Pokemon that actually do this: AV Magearna / SG Magearna, SpDef Celesteela / Autotomize Celesteela, Defensive Tomohawk / Offensive LO Tomohawk, Defensive Landorus-T / SD RP Landorus-T, DD Naviathan / CM Naviathan are just some examples. Additionally, I get that a "training wheels" mon that makes Swords Dance illegal with Will-O-Wisp would be nice for new players, but its just part of the game that everyone inevitably learns.

Terrain Seed Abuser - Solid concept. I like the twist on the terrain concept and how it's focused on items. It seems like a partner concept at first, but given that there are 4 seeds and they do different things, this could make for a really fun project.

The concepts I like the most so far are (in order of submission):
- Maximum Compression: It's a great concept that would also add quite a bit to the meta. I believe this one is also one that tends to get submitted a bit, which means this could finally get its chance this time.
- Scizor of the Sun: I like the idea of making a Pokemon to help out sun teams that also enjoys the fact that it reduces the damage it would take from opposing water-types. The title did throw me for a bit, since there's only three typings that are 4x weak to water, but the fact that 2x weak typings would be okay for the concept does keep that part more open.
- Z-Crystal Zealot: I would not be surprised if we see a Z-Crystal focused CAP before Gen 8 arrives, since it is one of the big new things in the game. This concept seems to be about as well written as you can get on this subject.
- Terrain Seed Abuser: Another new mechanic that will likely see a CAP before Gen 8 arrives, the Surge abilities from the Tapus is virtually the new weather, although not as centralizing strategy-wise. I think out of the concepts so far (not including mine), this is my favorite as it seems like a very fun concept to work with. It hits both the "item-based CAP" idea and the "Terrain abuser" idea. Not only that, but due to buffs provided by the seeds (+Def for Electric and Grassy, +SpDef for Psychic and Misty) this concept could turn into a Pokemon that can work best with more than one terrain.

Last edited:
Name: Tailored Type Advantage

Description: A Pokemon whose offensive presence is defined by their ability to use different type attacks, but not both at the same time.

Justification: This Pokemon would fit into primarily Archetype. What we would create is a Pokemon that's offensive presence does one thing specifically, and that's to threaten two sets of Pokemon based on their ability. However, this extends beyond being a utility counter. A concept like Krillowatt made a Pokemon that was intended to be a utility counter by providing an expansive movepool and using the 4 move limit to restrict what it could counter. What this concept is doing is creating a Pokemon that is designed to defeat one of two groups of Pokemon, but actually threatens both. The pressure of not knowing what attack type the Pokemon is carrying forces the player to start to analyze team composition and scouting. Many Pokemon who can carry alternate sets create this same strategy, you don't know if it's defensive or offensive Celesteela, or if Naviathan is DD or CM. This concept extends this strategy and provides a clear and tangible example for study. We'll have the opportunity to really dive into what it means to counter, scout and team-build around a polarized threat.

Questions to be Answered:
  • What true counters exist for a Pokemon with a tailored type advantage?
  • Is it valuable to use this Pokemon as a lure?
  • What two types create the greatest concern for the opponent? What are the hardest to determine from an opponent's perspective?
  • What sort of support movepool allows this concept to work?
  • What's the most effective way of determining which attack type the Pokemon is using?
  • Is one of the type options clearly superior to the alternative?
Explanation: This concept could do a lot, and will counter a lot depending on the abilities chosen. That being said, I feel like this concept will still be relatively straight forward. Once we identify which abilities will be chosen, building a concept around that will be interesting, but certainly doable. I feel like this is particularly interesting for the CAP Metagame because of some of the unique threats. Having a variety of other threats to consider, I can imagine the attack types we choose will be clearly different from what a project focusing just on OU would be.

Last edited:

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
  • Name - Serene Grace Utility
  • Description - A Pokemon with the ability Serene Grace that is able to use the secondary effects of certain attacking moves to cripple opponents with status or by lowering the opponent's stats.
  • Justification - This Pokemon would be fitted into Archetype. Most Serene Grace users in the metagame at the moment (Togekiss, Jirachi) use moves that focus on flinching, rather than spreading status. There are also not many Pokemon that can spread numerous types of status or lowered stats. This Pokemon would cripple your opponent's Pokemon, allowing fast attackers to come in and sweep with greater ease. The fact that the status-spreading moves are attacks lets the Pokemon work through Taunt.
  • Questions to be Answered :
  • - How extensive can the movepool be? (Many mediocre moves with secondary effects vs only a few, although very good )
  • - Will the Pokemon be able to utilise moves with two possible secondary effects? (i.e. Fire Fang: Burn [10%]+ Flinch [10%])
  • - How can the stats of the Pokemon affect how it is played? (Tanky vs Speedy)
  • - How can it overcome Pokemon that wall it such as Poison Heal Gliscor or Heal Bell Chansey? Will it have to switch?
  • Explanation - The amazing ability Serene Grace is capable of many things. Status spreading is one of those things. Having a Taunt-immune (in a way) opponent debuffer is a threat that opponents must play around. Currently, there are not enough Pokemon that can spread that many debuffs, so it would be interesting to see how it would affect the metagame. This Pokemon can be fitted into many team types like Stall, Balanced, and Fast-Offense! Also Four Move Syndrome is going to be insane for this Pokemon.
  • And also, since this won't be evaluated, I'm just going to list off some possible moves: Scald (30% Burn), Force Palm and Body Slam (30% Par), Moonblast (30% -1 stage SpAtk), Poison Jab (30% Poison), Secret Power (30% ___ [depending on battlefield]), Fiery Dance (50% +1 stage SpAtk).
Name: Tailored Type Advantage
Description: A Pokemon who has two of Galvanize, Pixilate, Aerilate and Refrigerate as abilities.
Justification: This Pokemon would fit into primarily Archetype. What we would create is a Pokemon that's offensive presence does one thing specifically, and that's to threaten two sets of Pokemon based on their ability. However, this extends beyond being a utility counter. A concept like Krillowatt made a Pokemon that was intended to be a utility counter by providing an expansive movepool and using the 4 move limit to restrict what it could counter. What this concept is doing is creating a Pokemon that is designed to defeat one of two groups of Pokemon, but actually threatens both by . The pressure of not knowing what ability the Pokemon is carrying forces the player to start to analyze team composition and scouting. Many Pokemon who can carry alternate sets create this same strategy, you don't know if it's defensive or offensive Celesteela, or if Naviathan is DD or CM. This concept extends this strategy and provides a clear and tangible example for study. We'll have the opportunity to really dive into what it means to counter, scout and team-build around a polarized threat.

• What true counters exist for a Pokemon with a tailored type advantage?
  • Is it valuable to use this Pokemon as a lure?
  • What Normal moves benefit the most from a tailored type advantage?
  • What sort of support movepool allows this concept to work?
  • What's the most effective way of determining which ability the Pokemon is using?
  • Is one of the type options clearly superior to the alternative?
Explanation: This concept could do a lot, and will counter a lot depending on the abilities chosen. That being said, I feel like this concept will still be relatively straight forward. Once we identify which abilities will be chosen, building a concept around that will be interesting, but certainly doable. I feel like this is particularly interesting for the CAP Metagame because of some of the unique threats. For instance, if we have Galvanize and Pixilate, something like Colossoil will have an interesting time determining if it can switch in and counter. Once the abilities are chosen the discussion really starts, because counters and threats will be a huge element to this.
Unfortunately, as fun as these ideas sound, these concepts are invalid because they require specific abilities to execute them. By requiring Serene Grace and two of the ize/ate abilities, the Primary Ability and Secondary Ability stages of the project become invalidated. letterman4, I'm not sure how you can salvage this concept in such a way that wouldn't require Serene Grace, but you're welcome to submit another concept or improve upon this one somehow over the one you've submitted. 11bug, you can try to word your concept to where it doesn't require these abilities, but note that there's no obligation down the line to where we will pick two ate/ize abilities to fulfill the concept. You're welcome to post another concept over yours as well. I'm sorry if this is disappointing, but the provisions for concept development were stated in the OP. If you have any questions, you can PM me, a member of the TLT, or a CAP Moderator.

Just so my opinion can remain on the forums, I really like how elaborately written Birkadoo's Z-Crystal Zealot and Sparky's Terrain Seed Abuser are, especially considering that they focus more on items than the Pokémon themselves. Not only are these items new, but Terrain Seeds are not used frequently enough in CAP, and we could use something that specializes in Z-Crystals. You guys may already know, but an item like Choice Scarf wouldn't work well because we have already known a lot about the speed-boosting scarf since Gen 4, and it's kinda useless except on certain Pokémon.

As such, emphasizing cool, new items like Z-Crystals or Terrain Seeds will give us a nice breather until Gen 7's secondary installments release in November.

11bug I really like the idea of your concept being a hard type counter, but as snake said only mention the ate/ize abilities as examples and maybe gear it toward typing as a counter or bring up passive ways of countering like sun and rain.

Fun Fact: I came up with this a loooooong time before Marshadow even existed.
Name: The Super Stat Boost Thief

Description: A Pokemon that is defined by its ability to steal, copy, lower, or negate an opponent's stat changes.

Justification: For as long as I've been in CAP, I find that a lot mons that do great in the tier become wincons upon one or two stat boosts: Aurumoth's Quiver Dance and Tail Glow, Crucibelle's Coil, Revenankh's Bulk Up, Landorus's Rock Polish and Swords Dance, Clefable's Calm Mind, Zygarde's Coil, Naviathan's Calm Mind, anything with Beast Boost, etc. And there's one amazing mon that fights all of these by destroying their stat boosts: Haze Tomohawk. But is stat boost destruction really all that we can do?

This concept falls under all three categories of Actualization, Archetype, and Target.
My concept could actualize by teaching us more about our metagame's setup tendencies, and possibly the setup tendencies of other tiers, as well. How much does our metagame setup, and how much of our top-tier players and Pokemon rely on setting up offensive or defensive stat boosts? It also questions one of Tomohawk's base purposes: Is stat-destroying really the only way to counter a setup-heavy metagame? This concept also asks if it is possible to copy, steal, or lower an opponent's stat boosts without having to resort to walling them. Could this Pokemon get a revenge switch-in on a boosted opponent, steal their offensive boosts, and proceed to attack? Or could this Pokemon switch into a defensive wall to "outwall" it or force it out by stealing or lowering it's defensive boosts?
This concept could create a new archetype, one that builds on Tomohawk's Hazing abilities, but takes it a step further to become either a great wall or a great sweeper, instead of just walling.
This concept easily targets three things: Tomohawk's everpresent stat-boost-destroying utility, offensive wincon setup, and defensive wall setup.

Questions To Be Answered:
  • How would this Concept set itself apart from the boost destroying abilities of Tomohawk?
  • How big of a role should this concept play in taking advantage of offensive setup Pokemon?
  • How big of a role should this concept play in taking advantage of defensive setup Pokemon?
  • In what ways would this concept take advantage of both offensive and defensive setup?
  • How much change will this concept bring to the CAP Metagame?
  • What can we learn from the short-lived, but immediate and overwhelming success of Marshadow in the CAP metagame?
  • Will this CAP be a viable option on offensive teams, defensive teams, or both?
  • Will this CAP be a viable counter or check to offensive teams, defensive teams, or both?

Explanation: This concept hopes to strike at Tomohawk's amazing utility, while also opening him up to new playstyles instead of the overused (for a good reason) HazeHawk. This concept could also give many of our top wincons a chance to explore new offensive and defensive routes, instead of just "Wipe out Tomohawk, and then setup and sweep/stall." Finally, this concept would give us a chance to explore the abilities that Marshadow ironically stole from me holds in stat-boost stealing, a concept that I believe has been written off as "too powerful" due to Marshadow's immediate, overwhelming success.
It'd be a lot of fun to analyze our own metagame in this way, to find something that could fight top-tier setup by either becoming it, or making it think twice about setting up in the first place.

Last edited:
My first post, so go easy on me :)
Name:
The Best Defense is a Good Offense
Description:
A Pokémon that excels at countering offense (especially setup sweepers) using revenge killing techniques, without being defensive or losing momentum.

Justification:
Offense is evidently a huge part of the CAP metagame, with blazing fast or ridiculously powerful setup sweepers such as Aurumoth and Charizard-Mega-X. This Pokémon can easily fit under Archetype and Target. For Archetype, this Pokémon can be considered Utility and Offense, as it is primarily a utility Pokémon to stop offense but without defensive walling. Some examples of Pokémon that are similar to this one are priority users such as Zygarde with Extreme Speed and Mega Pinsir with Aerilate-boosted Quick Attack. However, these Pokémon can at times be difficult to slap on a team without altering the entire team itself. This Pokémon is meant to be highly splashable on many teams. It is also considered a revenge killer, to stop offense in its tracks. For Target, this Pokémon addresses the various powerful sweepers of the current metagame, without sacrificing momentum or offensively capabilities. It is very difficult for very offensively-oriented teams to counter other offensive Pokémon, as sometimes the teams cannot afford to lose more momentum with a defensive Pokémon.

Questions:
- What sorts of teams could benefit greatly from this kind of role?
- Is this role even needed in the current metagame?
- How well can this Pokémon do in countering offense in one Pokémon slot?
- Is this Pokémon going to be worth taking up a Pokémon slot for?
- How splashable will this Pokémon be?
- How will this Pokémon be able to use a variety of priority moves effectively?

Explanation:
This Pokémon will have a variety of tools at its arsenal to counter setup sweepers but also keep momentum going. As it is offensive, it will be a standard fast and strong attacker. To counter and revenge kill offense effectively, this Pokémon will of course need priority. To prevent it from losing momentum, it will also need pivoting moves. I know that movepools are not to be specified, but priority and pivoting moves are essential to the whole theme of this Pokémon. In addition, this Pokémon should be able to utilize to the fullest extent many different types of priority, so that it can effectively use certain moves for certain sweepers that a team needs to counter. Although there are many offensive Pokémon that can revenge kill as well, they either rely on speed, a scarf, or have priority but not good pivoting options. This Pokémon is meant to be able to combat Pokémon that boost their speed to the point that even naturally fast Pokémon cannot outspeed them, or even scarfers cannot outspeed them. In addition, this Pokémon does not have the liability of being locked into a move with a scarf, and ignores the boosted speed of setup sweepers because it uses priority. It is also worth noting that many priority revenge killers do not have access to pivoting moves.

Last edited:
  • Name - Bulky Utility
  • Description -A Pokemon,who can change/adjust it's stats to accomplish different roles ie:Utility/Tank/Attacker
  • Justification
    • Actualization: This Pokemon is to be that pokemon that can fit into teams by adjusting to what is needed,Like Arcanine who goes for a Support set,or maybe attacker,or a set-up gredninja who use to be a fast spikes setter,Just a Mon who can Do many things,but not to much to have it's place not as one role.
    • Archetype: I'd call it a Good/stuff poke,It can be good on it's own if used right,but depends on how it's used.
    • Questions To Be Answered -
    • How would you go about dealing with this poke in battle,what set is it running,and is it a punisher if you guessed wrong?
    • How would Veterens go about using this mon compared to rookies with it's movepool?
    • Would this mon make more diverse teams with it's movepools?(like determine the team type?)
    • How would one predict,or decide what to do based on this mom without knowing what set is used?
      • Explanation - This Pokemon is to be a Pokemon that makes it hard to predict,it could be a setter,a sweeper(setup?),or bulky tank,so one would have to decide the best course of action by either going on and attacking it,or trying to stall it a turn(like a taunt or a anti prankster)?This would make it hard to predict,but,it is a role filler,so in a aggressive team,you might assume it's a sweeper(pr a setter for aggro teams!),or in a balanced team,a tank?The idea is prediction,in team preview you might get an idea of what role it will fill,but if you guess wrong,it could be a bad move,and it shouldn't be a broken mon,or un-killable,just hard to predict,I feel like we need more Poke's that can fill that role without being a super fragile,or super weak attacker for the meta game.Just a wide movepool with decent spreads so it can fill roles that can simply go based on the Trainer and not the Pokemon.

Luckyboy123

Ironically Named
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
First CAP post, I'm willing to accept constructive criticism :)
The God of Weather
  • Description - This Pokémon is able to carry multiple abilities that can set up various types of weather with a movepool to abuse it's weather too. It's stats would allow versatility and different sets for it.
  • Justification
    • Summary: setting up weather manually is a hassle and mons with abilities to set it up usually don't have great movepool and/or stats (i.e. Politoed, Pelliper, Ninetails, Torkoal, etc.)
    • Actualization: This pokemon when used properly would allow for usage on various weather teams and besides a weather setter it could vary from an attacker, to a utility mon, to a pivot with it's stats.
    • Archetype: As previously mentioned this is a weather setter that can set various types of weather with multiple abilities and an abusable movepool. This would give the metagame a go-to mon for weather with more than one possible role.
    • Target: this will give weather teams a more viable mon to use and it's versatility would give it multiple possible roles.
  • Questions To Be Answered -
  1. How would a mon with such variance of ability or even type be countered consistently?
  2. How would it obtain multiple abilities? Through forms, evolution lines, mega evolution, etc.?
  3. Would each rendition of it's ability render it a different type with different stats?
  4. What type(s) would this mon or it's theoretical forms/evolutions be given?
  5. How would this affect weather teams and the metagame at large?
  6. Could his mon be used on non-weather teams using it's weather to give itself a boost or disrupt another team?
  • Explanation - On the topic of stats for this mon I was imagining something like mew or jirachi with 100 in every stat. It could also be like the eeveeloution line with different evolutions resulting in different stat combinations. To give it it's weather setting abilities it either would have to be endowed with it in either forms, evolutions or one base mon with several abilities. It's movepool could include moves like blizzard, solar beam, thunder, aurora veil, hurricane, etc. to abuse the weather it had set up. It's specific type would be hard to come by if it was one base mon, if it had forms or evolutions the type of weather it sets up would be specific to it's type.

Last edited:

david0895

Mercy Main Btw
The return of the fallen king - I'm sorry to be blunt, but your concept fails to address why we should consider building around this move. Last CAP, the Parting Shot had a pretty extensive list of questions and elaboration on the move. Take a look at it and see if you can come up with more topical questions and justification. I'm willing to help you out on this concept though.
Thanks for the help!
I did some changes to the questions and justification, hoping that may be more clear

Glitchwood High

formerly Err0r Mobutt
My first post, so go easy on me :)
Name:
The Best Defense is a Good Offense
Description:
A Pokémon that excels at countering offense using revenge killing techniques, without being defensive or losing momentum.

Justification:
Offense is evidently a huge part of the CAP metagame, with blazing fast or ridiculously powerful sweepers such as Aurumoth and Charizard-Mega-X. This Pokémon can easily fit under Archetype and Target. For Archetype, this Pokémon can be considered Utility, as it is primarily a utility Pokémon to stop offense but without defensive walling. Some examples of Pokémon that are similar to this one are priority users such as Zygarde with Extreme Speed and Mega Pinsir with Aerilate-boosted Quick Attack. However, these Pokémon can at times be difficult to slap on a team without altering the entire team itself. This Pokémon is meant to be highly splashable on many teams. It is also considered a revenge killer, to stop offense in its tracks. For Target, this Pokémon addresses the various powerful sweepers of the current metagame, without sacrificing momentum or offensively capabilities. It is very difficult for very offensively-oriented teams to counter other offensive Pokémon, as sometimes the teams cannot afford to lose more momentum with a defensive Pokémon.

Questions:
- What sorts of teams could benefit greatly from this kind of role?
- Is this role even needed in the current metagame?
- How well can this Pokémon do in countering offense in one Pokémon slot?
- Is this Pokémon going to be worth taking up a Pokémon slot for?
- How splashable will this Pokémon be?
- How will this Pokémon be able to use a variety of priority moves effectively?

Explanation:
This Pokémon will have a variety of tools at its arsenal to counter sweepers but also keep momentum going. As it is offensive, it will be a standard fast and strong attacker. To counter and revenge kill offense effectively, this Pokémon will of course need priority. To prevent it from losing momentum, it will also need pivoting moves. I know that movepools are not to be specified, but priority and pivoting moves are essential to the whole theme of this Pokémon. In addition, this Pokémon should be able to utilize to the fullest extent many different types of priority, so that it can effectively use certain moves for certain sweepers that a team needs to counter.
This was well made, very even. The only problem so far is that many, many offensive Pokemon also work as revenge killers- a good part of the best of them are primarily revenge killers. As for the fact that it's not offensive, the concept depends largely on things outside the competitive basic concept-stats, moves, typing abilities.

Name:Boost for the song!

Description:A pokemon that can be a monster if it can setup.

Justification:Everyone uses their playstyle no?Offense or stall.This is a little mix of all of them.
Archetype:He can actually be used for various roles,like be a stallbreaker or even be a stall.And the metagame need somethig with that role because is hard to find a good stallbreaker/stall-

Questions To Be AnsweredQuestions to be answered?
.What Makes this pokemon so versatile?
.How can this pokemon actually break the "molds"?
.Can he takes advantage from the weather/terrain?

Explanation:He can be like everything,but is nothing actually.The big problem are the fast mons,like Greninja or Stratagem.Welp,the goal is this,destroy the fast mons for a little hope-
He can break the molds(no puns intended)because of the stats:Is not so bulky and not even an Uber,but he can do something-
He can easily take advantage of the Sun for do a little extra damage,and the Misty Terrain gives him a BIG boost-
First off, format it better, it's kinda hard to read.

Second off, while the concept itself isn't bad, it's a heavily done Pokemon archetype-a huge amount of offensive Pokemon depend on boosting moves. Hell, we have to CAP's like this-Naviathan and Auromoth. Second, 'it is hard to find a good stallbreaker/stall'. What? Stallbreaking is a central part of the Pokemon metagame as a whole, while stalling is basically forever. Finding good stallbreaker/stalls is ridiculously easy-even in the CAP meta, there are a good number of stallbreakers/stall. Do more research. Or just play Showdown! a little more?[/quote]

Name - Downsized

Description - A Pokemon that is a weakened version of an Ubers mon balanced for the CAP metagame.

Justification - This is an Actualization project built around capturing the feel of a mon that had previously been banned from participating in the metagame. Gamefreak has been experimenting with this for a while now, culminating in Silvally, a weakened form of on of the single most powerful pokemon in the series's history.

Questions To Be Answered
  • Which Ubers have interesting gimmicks that would be fun to have access to in the CAP metagame without just being inherently broken?
  • What elements need to be removed from our selected Uber to keep it balanced without removing what it brings to the table for the metagame?
  • What unique playstyles can bringing an Uber down to the CAP metagame create that would not be present in either CAP(from not having the mon) or Ubers(which are overpowered by the generally broken mons in the tier)?
  • Silvally, while being based on easily the most powerful Pokemon not named Mega-Rayquaza, is a mon so terrible that it even has trouble distinguishing itself in PU. What elements of Silvally's design prevented it from being able to break out in higher tiers, and how can we avoid the same pitfalls?
Explanation - It seems odd to me that a project built on the idea of improving metagames through addition rather than subtraction has not actually been doing much about how many Pokemon have already been subtracted from our metagame. The banlist has been swelling each generation as more overpowered mons get introduced and new moves and balance changes push previously unbanned mons into Ubers. This project seeks to reverse the flow, so to speak, to bring broken mons back into line so the things that make them special an still be enjoyed.
Not a bad idea at all-heck, the post itself is well made. And to be frank, this seems infinitely better than just reducing Uber Pokemon stats to that of OU Pokemon. The only problem is that the Pokemon would lack a certain amount of originality in most cases. Like, say, Arceus. What makes it good isn't just it's vast moveset, it's the addition of a plate and excellent stats. Silvally had average, plate-rip offs that did less, and a large moveset lacking boosting moves, making the resemblance to Arceus lost-hell, Silvally is very much generic normal type now.

So, most Ubers would fall under the same problem. Darkrai was notable because of Dark Void coupled with it's ability and Nasty Plot-this concept will, one way or another, produce a broken mon'. Girantina is there because of it's Bulk and an infamous Curse/Rest set, coupled with it's typing. Yet again, the Pokemon is lost without it's brokenness. Capturing most of the competitive style and nature of an Ubers legendary while making it viable for OU and not losing what captured the legendary in the first place is well near impossible.

Last edited:
Name - BYOT (Bring your own terrain)
Description - A pokemon capable of using a terrain inducing move to directly benefit itself as a sweeper/wall.
Justification: While terrains have blossomed thanks to the tapus in this generation, the terrains viability are dependent upon automatically setting up. A pokemon designed to get a strong enough advantage from setting up the terrain on its own would improve opportunities in team building to build around terrain synergies if u had a mon that benefited enough from auto setting.
Archetype: In the metagame, the pokemon serves as a centerpoint to create team synergy around utilizing both offensive and defensive benefits directly resulting from terrain as well as adding value in its own regard. The synergy would probably create a team that was very equipped to deal with balance matchups.
Target: Addressing offensive builds in the metagame using top offensive threats like skylant which are less synergy reliant, creating incentive for synergy in teambuilding.

Explanation: In the CAP metagame, there is tremendous oppurtunity for innovation with the terrains and it is time a pokemon be created to address that. CAP has the opportunity to tailor the mon to support/check existing threats in the metagame and thus could create a mon which would add tremendous depth to teambuilding in the meta.

Questions To Be Answered: Should the mon be offensively or defensively oriented? How can the terrain effect be applied in a multi-dimensional way that encourages synergy? To what degree should the mon depend on support from the team to function properly?

This was well made, very even. The only problem so far is that many, many offensive Pokemon also work as revenge killers- a good part of the best of them are primarily revenge killers. As for the fact that it's not offensive, the concept depends largely on things outside the competitive basic concept-stats, moves, typing abilities.
You are right - many offensive Pokémon are good revenge killers as well. However, many revenge kill with pure speed or a scarf. Only specific mons have a good priority move to abuse, and some don't have the pivoting abilities as my Pokémon will. Thanks for the constructive criticism tho, I will edit my post so it's more clear.

Name:Boost for the song!

Description:A pokemon that can be a monster if it can setup.

Justification:Everyone uses their playstyle no?Offense or stall.This is a little mix of all of them.
Archetype:He can actually be used for various roles,like be a stallbreaker or even be a stall.And the metagame need somethig with that role because is hard to find a good stallbreaker/stall-

Questions To Be AnsweredQuestions to be answered?
.What Makes this pokemon so versatile?
.How can this pokemon actually break the "molds"?
.Can he takes advantage from the weather/terrain?

Explanation:He can be like everything,but is nothing actually.The big problem are the fast mons,like Greninja or Stratagem.Welp,the goal is this,destroy the fast mons for a little hope-
He can break the molds(no puns intended)because of the stats:Is not so bulky and not even an Uber,but he can do something-
He can easily take advantage of the Sun for do a little extra damage,and the Misty Terrain gives him a BIG boost-

Name - Downsized

Description - A Pokemon that is a weakened version of an Ubers mon balanced for the CAP metagame.

Justification - This is an Actualization project built around capturing the feel of a mon that had previously been banned from participating in the metagame. Gamefreak has been experimenting with this for a while now, culminating in Silvally, a weakened form of on of the single most powerful pokemon in the series's history.

Questions To Be Answered
  • Which Ubers have interesting gimmicks that would be fun to have access to in the CAP metagame without just being inherently broken?
  • What elements need to be removed from our selected Uber to keep it balanced without removing what it brings to the table for the metagame?
  • What unique playstyles can bringing an Uber down to the CAP metagame create that would not be present in either CAP(from not having the mon) or Ubers(which are overpowered by the generally broken mons in the tier)?
  • Silvally, while being based on easily the most powerful Pokemon not named Mega-Rayquaza, is a mon so terrible that it even has trouble distinguishing itself in PU. What elements of Silvally's design prevented it from being able to break out in higher tiers, and how can we avoid the same pitfalls?
  • What changes can facilitate a better balance of Mon outside of just the standard stat totals, typing, and ability? You could fix Mega-Blaziken, for instance, by just taking away it's busted ability and giving it Rock Polish, but at that point, it doesn't really feel like a Mega-Blaziken.
Explanation - It seems odd to me that a project built on the idea of improving metagames through addition rather than subtraction has not actually been doing much about how many Pokemon have already been subtracted from our metagame. The banlist has been swelling each generation as more overpowered mons get introduced and new moves and balance changes push previously unbanned mons into Ubers. This project seeks to reverse the flow, so to speak, to bring broken mons back into line so the things that make them special an still be enjoyed.

To give an example of what I'm talking about, let's look at the infamous Giratina-O. Giratina-O is a bulky hazard-remover that abuses statuses, has access to good phasing, and offensively pressures stackers and sweepers. A Pokemon can still accomplish this goal in CAP without the obscene stat total and ability combo Giratina-O has, and to a lesser extent doesn't need quite as good a typing combination. Bare in mind this is not that hard a Pokemon to turn into a reasonable CAPmon, and this is by usage the 4th most popular Uber in the Uber metagame.

Last edited:
  • Name - Terrain Breaker
  • Description - This is made to counter terrain users such as Tapu Lele and will have mixed attacking stats with good defenses so it can take hits and be able to take down some Terrains and the Pokemon that summons them/
  • Justification - It will fit in both Actualization and Target. Actualization will inspire Terrain counter usage in the metagame and Target as it counters Terrain users such as Tapu Koko and Tapu Lele, and thus get rid of Pyshic Terrian and any of the other Terrains.
  • Questions To Be Answered
  1. How will it be used?
  2. How can it fare in the meta?
  3. How can it take advantage of getting rid of the Terrains?
  • Explanation - It may seem like an idea that might not be able to work due to the Tapu's power and possiblility to kill it but it can be use as a possible mixed attacker and especially a counter to all of the Tapus and Terrain users.

Name: Savior of the Sunny Day and the Hail

Description: A Pokemon that greatly boosts the viability of sun and hail, two very underexplored and underappreciated weathers.

Justification: Everyone knows that since X and Y came out, sun and hail as a playstyle are both god-awful, with sun being okay in the right matchup and hail being basically unviable. This project attempts to remedy that by adding a Pokemon that gives sun and hail the edge they need to become a threat once again.
  • Archetype: This mon intends on abusing sun and hail to its fullest potential, whether it be through raw wallbreaking power, or using Chlorophyll and Slush Rush to become a nightmarish sweeper in sun and hail.
  • Target: The clear lack of mons to fully abuse sun and hail is addressed by this mon.
  • Would the introduction of such a mon be enough to make sun and hail able to truly shine (literally)?
  • Would such a mon affect the metagame so much it's inherently unhealthy?
Explanation: Weather as a whole is a fun way to utilize new ways of playing Pokemon, but it only goes so far, with only rain and sand being remotely viable. With this mon the whole cast of weathers will be viable and usable to its fullest potential.

Name: True Abuser of Coil

Description: A Pokemon that is somewhat underwhelming without being able to set up Coil, but who excels once able to use it. Probably reliant on somewhat inaccurate STAB/Coverage, and with lacking physical defense, such that Coil would be needed to make it better.

Justification: Of Pokemon that can learn Coil, only one is really OU Viable, and Zygarde doesn't use the Accuracy Boost at all, essentially just using it as a secondary Dragon Dance when it needs Def more than Spe. Other Coil users are very underwhelming.
  • Archetype: This Pokemon should have inaccurate STAB and access to Coil. It will be of limited use before setup, but become a strong defensive threat with setup access.
  • Target: Actually fully utilize the benefits of Coil
  • Would this Pokemon be able to actually reliably set up (but not too reliably, it needs to have weaknesses)?
  • Would this Pokemon be too difficult to actually deal with upon setting up? I would suggest a subpar speed stat to compensate for it being very strong upon setup.
Explanation: Seriously, nothing uses Coil very much. For such a theoretically powerful move, it's just not distributed to the right stuff. I always thought it was a cool move, so I wanted to make a Pokemon that could use it, and actually use all of it.

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
NAME: Descended Angel

Description: This Pokémon is designed to support it's teammates in every way possible. Using it's gifted angel powers, it can effectively remove status, eliminate hazards, and, in a doubles scenario, can even provide boosts for it's allies, and negative ones for the enemy team.

Justification: In theory, this Pokémon can fit into all three categories, Actualization, Archetype, and Target.
  • Actualization: This Pokémon inspires a more offensive metagame, as with support from it, physical Pokémon won't have to worry about burns, defensive Pokémon won't have to worry about poison, and hazard-weak Pokémon won't have to worry about hazards. Simply, it provides a team to not give up when their offensive Pokémon is worn down by moves that don't do direct damage.
  • Archetype: This Pokémon, as mentioned before, is used to support offensive powers used in CAP, making it more difficult to shut them down. Basically, it removes the effects of non-damaging moves, which is a lot more powerful than you might think.
  • Target: This Pokémon aims to target external effects, but more simply, it's allies. It's important that this happens because, for example, let's say a defensive Pokémon comes under the effect of being badly poisoned. This basically negates what the Pokémon is effective at doing, which is taking hits. The concept Pokémon has the ability to remove the poison effect from the Pokémon, allowing it to perform it's function again, which is very important.
  • What Pokémon will benefit from the effects of this Pokémon?
  • Can this Pokémon have multiple movesets?
  • If not, does it suffer from 4MSS?
  • Will it be able to fit on a slot of teams?
  • Will this Pokémon be able to survive against opposing Pokémon?
Full Explination: My Pokémon aims to inspire a happier and healthier meta, quite metaphorically and literally. Utilizing it's wide variety of non-damaging moves, it can remove hazards, prevent them from being set up, as well as prevent status from affecting it's allies. For those who are wondering, this Pokémon was inspired by the Overwatch hero Mercy, who essentially heals her teammates, and well as being able to hold her own. Thanks for reading if you've made it this far!

Name Multi-Hit Menace

Description: A mon that is able to utilize multi-hit moves effectively

Justification: In the past, GF has tried its hand multiple times at making a good user of multi-hit moves. These attempts have brought us the likes of Cloyster, Breloom, Cincinno, Toucannon, Mega-Heracross, Ash-Greninja etc. However not many have stayed relevant in the metagame as the gens have moved on. In fact, the only one that really holds much clout in the current meta is Mega-Heracross who is rarely seen at best. In order to explore this otherwise almost unknown world of multi-hit moves, I propose we use this opportunity to learn how a good user of multi-hit moves can really fit inside of a metagame. This would best fit under the category of **Actualization** as it would take what GF had tried to do many times, make a viable multi-hit attack user, and bring it into reality.

• Will this mon actually impact the metagame whatsoever?
  • How do we differentiate this mon from mons that already exist and fit in the same niche?
  • In what way can we extrapolate an interesting and thought provoking discussion from this idea that seems so narrow?
  • How do would we manage to create this mon and not completely overshadow the other mons like this in the current meta?
Explanation: When I first thought of this idea and ran it by the guys in the CAP room (earlier today lol), they brought up these very valid questions to my idea and I took to pondering how we could possibly go about a process for this mon without completely pigeon-holing the entire thing and causing it to become a super straightforward process. And in my pondering I realized, the world of multi-hit moves goes farther than what we normally think of.

When we think of multi-hit we think of things like, bullet seed, rock blast, tail slap, icicle spear and... thats about it. What we fail to see is the variety of other options that also come with the ability to be an adequate multi-hit move user. The realm of multi-hit moves extends beyond what people see as the norm, there are forgotten moves such as bone rush, beat up, dual chop, water shuriken, triple kick, arm thrust etc. With alot of these other option, they have just simply never seen the light of the competitive metagame as they have never been given to a mon who cannot use them to their full effectiveness. With this mon, we could bring to light the true effectiveness of this relatively unexplored archetype of move.

In terms of the current meta I believe this mon could also fit very nicely while also not completely overshadowing the current mons who fit into this archetype. Multi-hit moves fill a unique niche. Being the only type of move able to avoid things such as sash, SE berries, sturdy, breaking through mimikyuu's disguise, etc. and the only type of move to take the effects of Rocky Helmet, Rough skin etc. multiple times in one turn it would almost certainly shake up the meta and be bring about a new fresh look at mons in a way we have never seen before. In terms of not completely overshadowing the currents mon *cough* mega hera *cough*. That would be the discussion bit! Making the mon not broken but a valid contender with the rest will be the interesting and thought provoking endeavor that I believe will make us reconsider the metagame as a whole and help elevate our knowledge of mons overall to the next level.

Last edited:
Name - Phazer Setup-Sweeper
Description - This Pokémon uses various pressures to require repeated switches on the enemies part to avoid being killed, during which it slowly builds to sweeping potential.

Justification - This is an Archetype project built around creating a new Sweeping Pokémon that requires heavy setup. It is able to handle this however, due to its capabilities to threaten/force enemy Pokémon out. This type of Pokémon is practically unseen, due to the difficulty in combining Phazing and individual Sweepers. The goal of this would be to see how combining these truly different Pokémon sets could work, and seeing how it behaves in interaction against walls, other phazers, or other sweepers.

Questions To Be Answered
  • How can a Setup-Sweeper be made that can defend itself during setup?
  • What are ways to maintain battle momentum while still forcing enemies out?
  • What unique play styles can be explored in a Pokémon that is a phazer, but not limited to a single usage?
  • What style of Phazer is able to maintain staying power while not also being a dedicated wall?
Explanation - All current Phazers are incredibly locked in as either a slow stall or wall that seeks to avoid being set up on, or are quick suiciders. Moves that force an enemy out on the turn all host negative priority, and Perish Song forces both the user and the target to switch. Curse or Nightmare/Sleep are powerful ways to force an enemy out, but either seriously damage the user or use up two slots that can better be used. On the other hand, aside from a setup move that gets spammed when possible, Setup Sweepers tend to be the same. They carry a STAB move or two along with some coverage and call it good. The combination of these rolls allow us to create an amazing hybridization of roles, while also being able to function as both. Theoretically, there would remain superior phazers in the metagame, and superior setup sweepers, but this Pokémon would shine as an avid user of this dual combination.

Luckyboy123

Ironically Named
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
These attempts have brought us the likes of Cloyster, Breloom, Cincinno, Toucannon, Mega-Heracross, Ash-Greninja etc. However not many have stayed relevant in the metagame as the gens have moved on. In fact, the only one that really holds much clout in the current meta is Mega-Heracross who is rarely seen at best.
Just pointing it out, I've personally seen a lot more water shreruiken ash greninjas and shell smash cloysters than mega-heracross as mega heracross isn't the most amazing mon as it is in competition with buzzwole a bit and it's fighting mawile too for the spot of large-attack-stat-mega. Ash greninja is a very well used mon and it's very necessary to run water sheruiken on the choice specs set, it's most used set. Cloyster admittedly is a meme mon in tiers above ru but people seem to throw it into the upper tiers a lot too.

Last edited:
Name: The Ultimate Priority User

Description: A Pokemon that uses many types of priority to counter faster threats and get to foes before they can get to it.

Justification: Based off of an old DPP Croagunk set utilizing different types of priority to eliminate threats, this set would use moves like Sucker Punch, Fake Out, Mach Punch, Feint, First Impression, etc. to eliminate different kinds of threats. Of course there aren't enough priority moves to make this Pokemon that versatile, so it would have other things to do, probably some set up options or perhaps some support moves, but its main set would be something having to do with using a lot of priority. I think that exploring how different priority options are utilized would help create a generally more interesting CAP metagame and add in another stop to faster threats and set up sweepers.

• How are different priority moves utilized?
  • What sort of Pokemon check and are checked by priority?
  • What synergies do priority users have?
  • And what weaknesses?
  • What counterplay is good against priority?
  • How good actually is priority?

Explanation: There isn't much priority use in most tiers, outside of some specific Pokemon that don't even really abuse it to its fullest extent. Using different types of priority can show how all priority options are utilized. The set that I'd see it probably using would be Sucker Punch / Aqua Jet or Mach Punch or Bullet Punch or something of that sort / Fake Out / First Impression. This would probably leave it as a Dark/Bug-type, an unexplored typing. I don't have too many ideas other than the bare bones idea, but I feel this would be a fun and interesting Pokemon to create.

Name: Type Boost Item Abuser
Description: A pokemon that effectively uses one or more of Absorb Bulb, Cell Battery, or Snowball.
Justification: This would be Actualization as it causes the use of practically unused items and therefore explores the possible strength of these items. As these are very possibly currently the worst items this allows more complexity to the metagame if they are used at all. It also somewhat fits in archetype as it provides a new way to use setting up as it requires calling a switch.
Questions:
How actually good could this pokemon be?
Would it be too situational?
Is it that significant of a niche?
Could it consistently stay in enough to make use of these items?

Explanation: This would need a lot to be successful. It would likely be resistent to the type of the item it is using so it can take the hit and be relatively lacking in that stat, though not too much so that a +1 has sweep potential. The providing of an extra boost for one turn is somewhat useful, but it would need to be a speedy pokemon to not be hit with a super effective move the next turn. If this is sucessfully done, it could be a powerful force and would be efficient in the metagame. It provides more of a reward for prediction instead of being spammy. It could also use two of these items which would likely make it a lot more useful as it would be hard to predict which item its holding. I believe this would change cap for the better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)