CAP 33 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Submission
Cap 33 draft 2.jpg

A very dapper sea angel

Justifications:

Typing
: a sea angel feels pretty fitting for a water/fairy type plus making it a fancy gentleman helps it feel more fairy.

"Fast Immovable Object": Its wings allow it to move quickly and its body is soft and squishy, allowing it to absorb blows when hit.

Last edited:

Bloopyghost

guging
is a Pre-Contributor
Final Submission

Irrashaimase~ Got an order for two ramen bowls and a full platter of ningyo er I mean definitely normal fish, coming right up!

Not gonna go into a big breakdown since this was a very spur of the moment draw (heck I wasn’t even sure if I was gonna sub for this CAP) but it’s simply a ramen-themed ningyo. Just thought it’d be neat to have a food mon and a yokai mon in one.

Supporting Material

Scale and bonus doodles

S/o to so many of you on ‘cord for supporting this last minute silly idea <3

Last edited:
Final Submission

cap33b.png

A soapy design based strongly on showers featuring curtains and bubbles, inspired largely by the shape language of Goodra.

- Typing: As a Water/Fairy Type, this design incorporates the natural element of Water when it comes to showers and bathing, as well as the Fairy type with regards to a soap-like constitution and the whimsical joy of bubble baths. The extensive use of bubbles featured in the design as well as the pastel hues present throughout the design contributes strongly to the Fairy-like aesthetics present in pokemon such as Slurpuff and Azumarill.

- Ability: With Multiscale as the ability, I wanted to capitalize on a fish-scale like pattern found on a number of shower-curtains to impress the idea of scales for a defensive purpose. The pokemon would utilize shower curtains in a similar manner to how Mario is shown deflecting projectiles with a cape. In addition, the placement of the curtains on the arms of the Pokemon allows the Pokemon to physically block with its arms alongside deploying curtains for defensive measures.

> Moonblast: Nighttime showers are common enough to justify the Pokemon existing underneath a moon to cast a blast of lunar energy from its palms.
> Scald: As a shower, the Pokemon can utilize the tail in order to blast heated jets of water to burn enemies asunder.
> Haze: Showers often permeate quite a bit of fog during the activity, allowing this Pokemon to create a similar effect.
> Recover: Generally, inorganic pokemon are able to regenerate themselves such as Avalugg and Garganacl. Similarly, this Pokemon would most likely regenerate their soap-like constitution after use in self-care.
> Surf: The Pokemon is nimble on their feet-like appendages, being able to dextrously navigate waves. In addition, the Pokemon would be buoyant enough to float in water given a soap-like constitution.

> Will-o-Wisp/Nuzzle/Thunder Wave/Glare: For both Thunder Wave and Nuzzle, soap is known to have charged ions and soap solutions are capable of conducting electricity, giving it some properties to electrocute enemy pokemon albeit not to any harmful degree. Will-o-Wisp could be argued on the basis that it would use such flame to heat up the water to provide warm showers. Glare is noted in the games to be conducted through patterns on the Belly -- although previous gens and the Anime showcase Glare having its activation method through the eyes. While the Pokemon's eyes are perpetually closed, Dunsparce notably utilizes Glare despite having closed eyes.
> Ice-Coverage Moves: Showers can be known to be rather cold, giving this Pokemon the avenue of which to fire off an Ice Beam, a Blizzard or an Icy Wind.
> Ground-Coverage Moves: As a Pokemon associated with Showers, access to Mud Shot and Mud-Slap would hinge on the association with eliminating dirtiness. Earth Power would be harder to justify, but Politoed is capable of utilizing Earth Power.
> Encore/Taunt: Generally, the whimsical nature of the Pokemon would allow for it to promote its opponents through Encore, and may challenge others in a jovial way through Taunt.
> Knock Off: The Pokemon boasts large imposing hands that would be very suitable to the action of swatting away opponent's held items.
> Strength Sap: Showers are often used to relax human beings. The Pokemon can absorb the muscular tension of opponent Pokemon to soothe its aches as well as rejuvenate itself in the process.

CAP33's Stat Distribution is 80 HP / 32 Atk / 111 Def / 88 SpA / 99 SpD / 125 Spe. The Speed stat was emphasized through the use of soap-like foot appendages that allows the Pokemon to skate across surfaces fast similar to an Ice Skater. The Defensive stats were primarily accentuated through the presence of the Shower curtains giving the impression of a barrier for the Pokemon to utilize similar to the Leek Shield featured by Sirfetch'd, or the giant gem of Mega Sableye. The HP stat is shown through the bulky torso of the Pokemon, inspired by the roundness of Pokemon such as Clefable or Goodra. The tail offers an avenue for Special Attacks largely inspired by the tail cannon used by Iron Bundle. The meager 32 attack stat is justified through a soft material as the Pokemon's primary body constitution being soap.

> Head: The head features a prototypical shower cap used to keep hair dry. The general head shape is largely reminiscient of a ellipsoid bar of soap. The eyes are perpetually closed with small bubbles composing of eyelashes to evoke the classic imagery of "soap in the eyes" forcing people to keep their eyes shut. The pokemon is blowing bubbles as it is a whimsical trait befitting of the Fairy type. The Pokemon also features an elongated neck to draw parallels with traditional shower heads placed high above its users.
> Body: The body evokes the imagery of a curved squeeze-operated soap bottle found within showers. The chest area and the abdomen were somewhat inspired by the features found on Mewtwo. The use of bubbles as a pauldron-like element added visual flair to the design. The ring around the Pokemon's abdomen added visual interest to an otherwise blank area, also giving the impression of a drain stopper found at the bottom of certain bathtubs.
> Arms: The arms are notably elongated to allow them to wrap around the Pokemon in order to utilize the shower curtains as a defensive measure. Rings are placed around the arms of the Pokemon in segments in order to replicate the shower rings used to fasten a curtain onto a curtain rod found in many showers. Bubbles are placed on the wrists to create visual flair. The hands are rectangular bars of soap with two small digits and a thumb-like appendage in order to give the Pokemon a way to hold its tail in order to aim it at its targets.
> Legs: The legs are spindly to give the impression of swiftness. The feet are rectangular bars of soap in order to give the impression that the Pokemon utilizes the slippery properties of soap in order to glide around the battlefield to give it speed. The legs are thicker near the abdomen in order to support the bulky curvature of the torso. The feet have a multitude of bubbles to denote its slipperiness.
> Tail: The tail is elongated and features an ending with seven holes of which to fire out jets of water, similar to that of a shower head. The tail can be held and aimed in order to direct its flow of water offensively, similar to how the tail of Iron Bundle operates whenever it used a Special Attack such as Hydro Pump. Bubbles are added between the end of the tail and the rest in order to provide further visual flair.
> Curtains: The most visually complex part of the Pokemon, these are used to defend the Pokemon as it wraps itself around its body. Its bright coloration and transluscent nature evokes that of aposematic elements found in nature such as Poison Dart frogs. The scale-like pattern was chosen to be in-line with CAP 33's ability Multiscale. Multiple colors were chosen for the shower curtain to draw more attention and to add visual variety. It is the most complex part of the design primarily to contrast with the simplistic homogenity of the main soap-like body.

Supporting Material

cap33sm.png

Last edited:
Final Submission

CAP_20231021140246.png

A beluga submarine, manned by a team of tiny fish that live in its window-like bubbles!

Water Type - ‘tis a whale
Fairy Type - its pink i guess
High Speed - It can spin its tailfin like a propeller to jet through water. Also, submarines can go at high speeds, with the fastest submarine reaching 84km/h.
Bulk - Belugas are pretty big and are also quite heavy, weighing up to 2000kg. Submarines are also very strong, able to resist extremely high water pressure and attacks on the exterior.

Moves - Scald, Hydro Pump, Moonblast etc - These are usually standard moves for Water types and Fairy types
Haze/Utility Moves - Submarines give support, use radar, sonar etc.

Multiscale - uhhhhhhhhhhh jarvis insert random obscure fact that proves multiscale is justified

Supporting Material
some random sketches -
CAP_20231021141406.pngCAP_20231021142503.pngCAP_20231021142643.png

Shadowshocker

It shall rest here in peace. Forever, if you wish.
is a Top Artistis a Smogon Media Contributor
Final Submission

Well, there it is. A disco light-up squid who uses tentacles and dropped beats in multiple scales to wall any threats. Water and sound emerges from his subwoofer tentacles. He just wants to vibe. If he pushes with all eight tentacles that's physically defensive, right? Thanks to everyone who noticed and offered feedback!

Supporting Material
- He's walling and walking with Heavy Duty Boots
- Side view and biology notes
- Lo-fi chilling under the sea

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
Final Submission

Supporting Material

This design is sort of a mashup between Totoro and Ponyo, two cool ghibli critters! Just like Ponyo, it can run on water with its stick legs, making it very fast. Its surrounded by fake fish to make it look like its a shoal; being a very shy Pokémon, it would rather hide this way. The lower half are arranged like a safety buoy, which bounces back enemies trying to jump on it, making it pretty physically bulky. Being some sort of whimsical creature, it can this way have access to Thunder Wave, Encore and everything that mischievous fairies usually have.

E1C0A3DC-083D-4D73-B1B0-A313FAB6583C.png turnaround and other misc stuff
69A1B280-1FC6-4F33-B734-A9D89DE2B548.pngfull res

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Final Submission
MAIN DESIGN

SUPPORTING MATERIAL

Design Progression
Link to an animation of my progress from sketch to finished artwork:

(Click the thumbnail for the full-size animation)

Link to full-resolution finished artwork

Description
I was inspired to make this Fairy Seahorse design by imagining it as a "Protector of Atlantis". I pulled from many references to seahorses (water), armored warhorses (defensive) and also racehorses (fast) to come up with the basic body shape and pose. The colorful wings are based on the shells of Calico Scallops, which have naturally beautiful pink, orange, and red patterns that I think go great with the colorful fairy look I am going for with this design.

I really liked playing with the connotations and contradictions associated with seahorses for this design. In the real world, seahorses are known for being very slow and fragile creatures. But actual horses, like racehorses and warhorses that I was using for inspiration, are the complete opposite -- they are very fast and sturdy! I like how the real pokemon game sometimes plays with contradictions, like making Accelgor one of the fastest pokemon in the dex, even though it is based on a snail, which is synonymous with slowness. So this Atlantean seahorse design continues in that line of fun contradictory imagery and inspiration.

I've enjoyed making this design and using it as an experiment in making 3D models to help with the posing and proportions, and also using a more painterly art technique. The end result is intentionally a very detailed artwork, that isn't quite as "cartoony" as my normal style. I hope you like it!

Last edited:

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Disqualifications:
  • F4nt45m: Main Design image is thumbnail, Main Design image is too small at full resolution.
  • Tessamon: Main Design image is thumbnail, Main Design image is not on white background, Main Design image is larger than 640x640.
  • Ogerpon: Main Design image is not on white background, Main Design image is larger than 640x640.
  • Zacynthius: Main Design image is collaboration, Main Design image is larger than 640x640, Main Design image is not on white background.
I'll see everyone else in poll 1!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)