CAP 33 - Part 8 - Prevo # Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to go with None, but I could understand one if it's done right. It doesn't look like an animal that would naturally go through life stages in the wild. It looks entirely genderless and supernatural. Something that was summoned or conjured or suddenly appeared rather than something that was always alive.

My headcanon is that the moon crown on top IS the real Pokemon, some sort of tidal demigod, and the wave is just a body it's possessing. Sort of like a Dhelmise situation. I think if we do go with a prevo, it should just be a mono-fairy based on the moon crown. Maybe it evolves when you are surfing in the overworld with it in your party for a certain amount of steps, or when it's hit with Surf in a battle.

Last edited:

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I think the inspiration for the design is important to keep in mind in determining pre-evolution count. If it were based on any wave, I think there is more flexibility in the pre-evo space. However, this design is based on "The Great Wave off Kanagawa", one of the most iconic paintings in our culture, which influences what paths I think work best for pre-evos.

I see two design paths if we were to give this design pre-evolutions:
  1. We create a design inspired by "The Great Wave" or other iconic works of art. In this case, we're working with a constrained design space within a constrained design space. I'm sure we can make it work, but this feels like a pretty linear path.
  2. We create a design not based on "The Great Wave" or other iconic works of art. This option gives us a larger design space. However, this (IMO) creates an odd implication: a generic pre-evolution evolves into a one-of-a kind wave.
That being said, this is just my opinion on what motivations make sense for CAP 33 pre-evos. If you want pre-evos because you're interested in making it a Water/Fairy Multiscale 'mon in CAP LC, I can't argue against that!

For me, it's clear, None. I don't think a pre-evolution will capture the magic of such a unique design, in fact I think it would ruin the concept as a small wave looks ridiculous. Besides, it would look very similar and monotonous, it would be a filler prevo that wouldn't add much, I think. Honestly, in the event that the "None" option isn't the winner, I wouldn't care about 1 or 2 prevos, because most of the magic of the mon will have already been lost.

PS: I'm sorry about my extremism, but that's how I see it.

I'm gonna join the bandwagon of None. First, the last time we had a single stage mon that wasn't a framework was Pajantom back in the early days of Sun & Moon. Second, for the people who say that for one pre-evo we can have something of a small wave... I simply cannot picture a scenario where we could create one without disregarding the design inspirations behind Yokaiju's design.
Edit: Okay, I concede Palosak's point, though admittedly that Chromera was declared a Legendary, which as of writing I dunno about the 'legendary' status of CAP 33.

Last edited:
I think the inspiration for the design is important to keep in mind in determining pre-evolution count. If it were based on any wave, I think there is more flexibility in the pre-evo space. However, this design is based on "The Great Wave off Kanagawa", one of the most iconic paintings in our culture, which influences what paths I think work best for pre-evos.

I see two design paths if we were to give this design pre-evolutions:
  1. We create a design inspired by "The Great Wave" or other iconic works of art. In this case, we're working with a constrained design space within a constrained design space. I'm sure we can make it work, but this feels like a pretty linear path.
  2. We create a design not based on "The Great Wave" or other iconic works of art. This option gives us a larger design space. However, this (IMO) creates an odd implication: a generic pre-evolution evolves into a one-of-a kind wave.
That being said, this is just my opinion on what motivations make sense for CAP 33 pre-evos. If you want pre-evos because you're interested in making it a Water/Fairy Multiscale 'mon in CAP LC, I can't argue against that!
I'm thinking Option 2 for however many pre-evolutions it takes (more people think 1, I might be the only person here thinking 2 is more appropriate than 1). Just give its direct pre-evolution a painful evolution method like Gimmighoul's, Meltan's, Feebas's in Gens 3-4, or Bisharp's (that justifies the exceedingly specific looks of our CAP mon here) and we're set!

This design feels like its in a weird gray area to me where it it looks like it should have a pre-evo, yet conceptually I struggle to see what that could be as the design's inspiration doesn't leave much room to work in terms of creating a design that fits as an extension/simplification of the idea. As such I'm in favor of None.
Also minor note.
the last time we had a single stage mon that wasn't a framework was Pajantom back in the early days of Sun & Moon.
The last single stage mon we had ignoring Venomicon was Chromera in Sword and Shield.

Last edited:

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
One. I can see the arguments for None, but think there are some really fun elements that could be built up through the pre-evo process that make it worth pursuing.

Wulfanator

Clefable's wish came true!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
None

The simplistic design will demand a lot from prevos to avoid "wave gets bigger" similar to how Grimer is "sludge monster gets bigger." This problem minimally rules out two in my mind. On a different note, the wave has similar design motifs to Drampa which further drives none as the obvious choice for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)