CAP 3D Modeling Project

Ignus

Copying deli meat to hard drive
Not one of the modelers, but from what I can tell, Revenankh looks the most open of the three you mentioned. Be warned though - KoA, the guy who originally made the art, isn't alive anymore as far as I can tell, so you may have to make your own model sheet or just straight up work without one.
Tagging useful people to confirm/deny/scream/cry: QxC4eva DJTHED Quanyails

QxC4eva

is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
princeofallsaiyans - pretty much what Ignus said! :) Feel free to reserve any of those mons, and let us know if you need help with stuff like model sheets.
Voodoom's model has been worked on before (source files here) so there's an option to work off that as well.

p.s. Mollux WIP

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
QxC4eva

I love the mollux work. So much so that I used it in my RMT I hope you keep up the great work. One thing you should notice though. The gif for lava lamp kind of ends abruptly also where the lamp attaches to the body it flickers quite a bit with the animation of the lamp.

Keep up the great work.

Finally have the time to go back to my nitpicking commenting ways despite legit not being able to pull anything like this off.

QxC4eva this time a fairly minor yet rather jarring thing to me. The small lava ball that ends up at the lowermost right corner of the sprite suddenly vanishes partway into the loop. Just poof, gone. Same with one of the center spheres. It's rather sudden and doesn't fit the way most lava lamp fluids work in my opinion. Just taking the opportunity to mention that.

QxC4eva

Sorry I kinda neglected this project. Gonna try updating more often.... :P

-->

Zephias Broken Phobias thanks for the comments I fixed the stuff you mentioned :D Added more shape morphs to the blobs as well and smoothed up the outlines on the shell patterns (I guess they look worse now but that's how pokemon's game engine handles it, it should look less broken once I start animating :P)

edit: added the old sprite for comparison

Last edited:

BP

Beers and Steers
QxC4eva you are basically the only man we have left. The mollux looks perfect by the way. It looks a lot better!

I've always wanted to help with this so I recently started learning Blender - so far I'm really enjoying it :D I've mostly worked on wireframes and mesh modelling, but I'm just starting to learn about textures, lighting and rendering. So, as a test of my skills so far, I decided to have a go at modelling a CAP Pokémon! I don't know if exploudit is still working on it, but since it's been quite a few months (and I wasn't sure if I'd end up sharing it anyway) I decided to have a go at Colossoil. I was wondering if you could give me some tips on it, but if you think it's good enough please carry on the rest of the process with it!
.obj File Images

I've always wanted to help with this so I recently started learning Blender - so far I'm really enjoying it :D I've mostly worked on wireframes and mesh modelling, but I'm just starting to learn about textures, lighting and rendering. So, as a test of my skills so far, I decided to have a go at modelling a CAP Pokémon! I don't know if exploudit is still working on it, but since it's been quite a few months (and I wasn't sure if I'd end up sharing it anyway) I decided to have a go at Colossoil. I was wondering if you could give me some tips on it, but if you think it's good enough please carry on the rest of the process with it!
.obj File Images
Tbh, I have a little bit of knowledge on 3D modeling (due to watching some tutorials and experimenting on Blender) but I think I still need much more experience to fully model a Pokémon like that. I'd love to learn more about 3D modeling in the future, but right know I just don't have the skills. That being said, I gave up trying to recreate Colossoil already so feel free to create the model yourself :)

QxC4eva

Kyubics that's a great start I think you did well with the shape and polycount! :D The part that needs more work is the mouth I think. The inside should cave in a bit so the tongue can fit there without intersecting the outside mesh. From the official art I think the chin needs more "bulk" cuz it's almost like he has no jaw :P Below that his throat should be smoother to stop those nasty looking creases showing up. For the part of the body where are arms meet, I think there should be more subdivs so it deforms better in rigging, and maybe it's better to attach the arms with the main mesh than having them separate. (makes the cel shading look less "abrupt") Maybe it's just me, but modeling the tail in can make the back view more interesting too :P

I might add screenshots if something wasn't clear ^^;

Anyway keep up the learning I think you're doing great! Texturing and rendering is fun :D
I put you down for the Colossoil modeling -- texturing and other stages I'd say should wait for now, at least until changes are made to the model :)

Kyubics that's a great start I think you did well with the shape and polycount! :D The part that needs more work is the mouth I think. The inside should cave in a bit so the tongue can fit there without intersecting the outside mesh. From the official art I think the chin needs more "bulk" cuz it's almost like he has no jaw :P Below that his throat should be smoother to stop those nasty looking creases showing up. For the part of the body where are arms meet, I think there should be more subdivs so it deforms better in rigging, and maybe it's better to attach the arms with the main mesh than having them separate. (makes the cel shading look less "abrupt") Maybe it's just me, but modeling the tail in can make the back view more interesting too :P

I might add screenshots if something wasn't clear ^^;

Anyway keep up the learning I think you're doing great! Texturing and rendering is fun :D
I put you down for the Colossoil modeling -- texturing and other stages I'd say should wait for now, at least until changes are made to the model :)
Thanks for the feedback! I did a lot of work trying to simplify the mesh (especially after I ended up subdividing it way too much) so I'm glad you picked up on that :D I think I understand what you're getting at so I'll give it a go. KrazyCake also had a look for me and suggested that maybe it should be a bit rounder. I completely agree but I can't work out how to do it, at least without starting again. Also, I can't seem to be able to join the two halves instead of using a mirror modifier - if I duplicate and mirror the object and try to join the two halves, the second turns black as if it's been shaded inside out. Thanks for your help :D

QxC4eva

Um yeah... idk, I think how round to make his body is up to you. It's hard to tell from the art if he's meant to be round or flat (the shape is flat but the shading looks round XD) If you have problems mirroring the mesh, you don't really have to do it but I suspect it's something to do with the normals turning inside-out. In edit mode, go to the shading / UVs tab and click on the "flip direction" button under "normals".
See if that helps? :P

QxC4eva

Now that CAP LC is a thing, do you think you could make shinies? :D

HeaL also mentioned on PS! that there could be a few tweaks to the current renders: the shine on the head makes it look balloony, and the image as a whole looks a bit big for a first-stage Pokemon.
Bah! That's a speed model so I'm like polishing turd right now >.> Might end up redoing it (except the butt which is perfect~)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bw8FAxjo2qD_Wk85OXhlbVJhQ1k

HeaLnDeaL likes this post and totally isn't abusing mod powers to edit this in

Last edited by a moderator:

QxC4eva

I'll have some animations of Tomohawk and Mollux around easter. /(^ × ^)\

Also here's some draft model sheets...

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Breezi only has 3 "horns" on its head; 2 in the front and one in the back. Similarly, the parachute only touches Breezi at these 3 points.

QxC4eva

Oh yeah Breezi has 3 horns I'll fix that up later!

Here's some animation ideas for Mollux:

Tomohawk will be coming soon :)

I've found my new avatar in number three look at it its adorable

But yeah, Mollux isn't supposed to be fast so Number 1 really does molly the best it can, giving it movement without makiing it seem fast. It also doesn't detract from that amazing Lava Lamp

like dude

thats great.

You know, these animations make me think of the three kinds of movement that a Pokémon has:

1. Idle
2. Special / long-ranged attack
3. Physical / charge attack

If I had to choose, I would go with the first one. Maybe you could make it sway its head a bit more to make it more dynamic.

Overall, though, really nice work! :3

Ignus

Copying deli meat to hard drive
My opinion is 1 by a good margin just because the other two are super violent looking

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
For the entire Idea of Mollux, number one sorta fits best, but it seems a bit inactive compared to the other two. Maybe a wee bit of head bobbing?

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
Perfect. This is really good, like what do you need me for? :V

Yeah, sorry for being dead without really saying anything. I've been doing other things lately that I've become incredibly passionate about, and I've kind of lost motivation to contribute here as a result. Not sure when or even if I'll ever contribute again, because I simply can't work consistently without motivation for whatever I'm contributing to. I'll always be watching this thread though. I still check this site often to see what's new here. I'll probably publish that Kurfluffle and the latest Necturna model (even though I never actually fully finished either) whenever I get the chance to.

BP

Beers and Steers

These are beautiful. I am truly amazed with what you have created congrats dude. The first one is perfect imo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)