CAP 3D Modeling Project

I know it's been a while, but I kind of forgot about this... Sorry! Here're some pictures the latest version of the Colossoil wireframe I've been working on. I've added a tail and teeth amongst other things - I hope it's improved :D Saying that, I think the mesh around the corner of the mouth and chin is still a little messy, but I've reached the limit of what I can do myself so if it needs fixing maybe someone else could touch it up? Any feedback would still be much appreciated!
.blend file
.obj file

So recently, I have been attempting my first modeling sheet ever in Paint.net, and thanks to Quanyails (Who is the coolest guy ever), I've been making great progress! However, I want some feedback on the model I have so far for the front view. I'm likely only going to submit a front view for now, as this is my first model sheet literally ever, but I might try to make the side later.
My current main concern is the body shape of the "lip". I've been having a hard time trying to edit the thing, and so I want to keep it as is, but I want to make sure it looks close enough to Necturine to where it could be chalked up to artistic license. Is that the case? Also, the drawing on the left was my rough sketch.
Screenshot (137).png

QxC4eva

is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Thanks for your lovely comments on the Mollux animations! I've made changes based on what people said and I'll be posting the final product in a few days. We're back in business ^_^

Meanwhile here's some Tomohawk animation drafts: grounded / gliding / flying / hovering

Owing my thanks to Quanyails for giving me so much feedback on these (Revo you're right, Quany is the coolest ;P)

Also Kyubics, the Colossoil model is looking good so far. Is there any chance you can attach the arms to the body as a single mesh? Sorry for the really late reply!

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
All look real nice IMO, but I gotta say that the first and the last one are the best. The first one I really like because its fairly accurate to its sprite, and the last kinda sets the tone and better implies its typing. I'm more leaning towards the last, but both look really good.

I adore the last one. I say that's what you use. If Tomohawk is gonna keep haze, it should at least get an amazing model animation!

Thanks for your lovely comments on the Mollux animations! I've made changes based on what people said and I'll be posting the final product in a few days. We're back in business ^_^

Meanwhile here's some Tomohawk animation drafts: grounded / gliding / flying / hovering

Owing my thanks to Quanyails for giving me so much feedback on these (Revo you're right, Quany is the coolest ;P)

Also Kyubics, the Colossoil model is looking good so far. Is there any chance you can attach the arms to the body as a single mesh? Sorry for the really late reply!
Holy geez man that looks really good, my favorite one being the last one probably just because it looks more original than every other flying type. However you do it, it looks great!

Amazing :'D I'm torn between the first and last like everyone else. Though I noticed that in those 2 (first and last) that the back feathers seem to be vibrating weirdly as if it were gliding.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'll have to disagree and say I like the Grounded and Flying (#3) poses the best. Hovering seems like it's hunched over in mid air, don't think it looks that good compared to Flying.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

To provide a counter-argument, I prefer the first or third one. To respond to everyone who likes the fourth one, nearly every Flying-type Pokemon that isn't a Bug-type has a full range of motion. In terms of which animation looks most like an in-game model, I would say #4 looks the least like it fits. Even a floaty Pokemon like Altaria has a full range of motion as it flies. I also don't like that it hunches over itself, showing off less of the model, but I suppose that is more of a preference than anything.

But of course, the most ready form of in-game animations that we have to go off of is:

The only other Fighting / Flying type: Hawlucha! It's grounded, although I think it's pretty obvious why. Those "wings" are real awkward, and the thing would look way less tough. Tomohawk has the luxury of looking BA in all four of those poses, but Hawlucha's existence itself lends better to #1, in my opinion. Having Tomohawk grounded is totally acceptable for a Fighting-type.

tl;dr - I prefer #1 and #3. And ninja'd by Deck. Also QxC, you're the bomb. Awesome animations!

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
For serious bros Flying looks like it's gonna whip out a Hurricane or Aura Sphere right on the spot. Looks very aggressive and dynamic.

Grounded matches the sprite the most but that Flying model just looks totally ready to jet on and shift the momentum of the battle.

Honestly, while I like #4, I would have no problem with #3. I like how I can see more of the feathers(?) and is more dynamic. My one gripe with #3 is that the mouth looks really weird when it's open like that. I would prefer the mouth to be closed like in #4.

With adjustments, I can see number 4 working well. Maybe use more of tomohawks stance in number three so it doesn't look like a permanent shrug? I understand what you were getting with No. 4 and I really like the idea but it just feels like the wings are attached to the neck and eeeegh

Number 1 is a really safe one to go with and it's very well done!

But seriously, these are great and really bring Tomohawk to life really well! Well done :D

I'd suggest go with the hovering animation, as it seems to fit somewhere between flying and being grounded; as such, a middle ground would suit Tomohawk's design as both a cat and a predatory bird.

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
The only one I can't really see working is #2. But the rest have good reasons to use as the main pose. I personally like 1 and 3 the best. I really like the pose on #4, but the lack of a full wing flap hurts it imo. But nothing but a few animation tweaks can fix that up. If that's fixed, then idk what I'd really prefer. They're all good.

i absolutely agree with having a slightly adjusted #4. #1 matches the original sprite, sure, but when put into motion it implies very little sudden movement by staying still in such a pose, whereas #2 and #3 has the exact opposite problem in that it implies too much constant motion--with a not-particularly-blazing 85 speed and prankster, tomohawk should prefer to hover over others (upper ground advantages and all that), while still being prepared to quickly act in short bursts.

QxC4eva

I err.... good gracious wasn't expecting so many comments for Tomo!! <3 Hah wow this is awesome. But first we must get Molly out of the way so here it is. I decided to render everything cause if I self pick it's bound to upset someone. I'll just leave it to whatever the community wants to do with them~ Good luck guys! *runs away*

Mollux 3D animated sprite - Final Product

source files
CREDITS
Model sheet: Mos-Quitoxe
Wireframe, textures, animation, rendering: QxC4eva
QC: Quanyails, Wyverii, DJTHED, paintseagull, Mos-Quitoxe, Kadew

Special mention to Quanyails, BushWhack and DJTHED for doing their own amazing wireframe or animations too. I wasn't able to use them due to technicalities with the lamp, so apologies! I hope we all had fun with it though :D

Also thanks to everyone who gave the suggestions, I followed them the best I can but if there's still something bugging I can still edit the renders above. ''==3

Anyway back to Tomo!

Last edited:

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
I still hold the belief that the animation loop for the idle shouldn't be too active. And by that I mean not too much movement too quickly, especially the head, when it's not really necessary since for the most part that's how all the Pokemon are animated. So I would either go with 1 or 2 for Mollux.

Though I do feel like Krilowatt might have been a bit too tame when I animated it looking back, given its typing and speed. But my point still stands for this particular CAPmon, though not to say that the other two can't work either. They are all good, but based on what I think, 1 and 2 are what I personally would prefer, but I wouldn't be upset or anything if any of the 4 were used.

EDIT:
Also be sure to adjust the camera angle for the front facing render to face more towards Mollux instead of the side, for the sake of consistency.

Last edited:

QxC4eva

Ahh thanks for the input, yeah fair enough. I guess I'll sacrifice some consistency for the side view then, cause it just looks terrible in every other angle! >_> It doesn't help that I did a god awful job at the rigging as well, there's more poses I wanted to do but that's like the only decent looking one...

As for Tomohawk, I did another grounded just to balance out all the flying ones I did:

And thanks for all your feedback on the animations! There's been a few pointers to merge #3 and 4 together (or adding more flap to 4 / making it hunch less) following the advice of Birkal, Arcade and DJTHED

These can be better or totally worse than the originals idk so I kept the originals and they'll have their own renders in the final product too :P

Other fixes...
  • Felis Licht I see it wow his tail is a vibrator. Fixed!
  • Reviloja753 well spotted ouch! Seems like I twisted his jaw.
  • Quanyails suggested the feathers can be flatter so that's fixed as well.

About your Necturine model sheet, Reviloja753
  • Your edges are very wobbly and jelly like so I'd tidy that up. If you look at the official art notice there's a lot of pointy bits as well, like the legs and the teeth.
  • The mask thing on the top is like a ribbon right now, it should have more form.
  • The top of the head should be round and less bumpy.
  • I think the eyes can be a bit smaller as well.
  • It'll be nice to combine the teeth you drew on the right into the front view picture.
Hope this helps :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)