CAP Updates: Tomohawk Discussion--COMPLETE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, boy. Time to be the devil's advocate again.
Except it's really hard this time.
'Cause with these arguments, even I'm convinced Earth Power could go.
Even if I don't want it to.
But maybe...
Just maybe...
We don't get rid of Earth Power.
We just make it incompatible with Roost.
So if there's the player that wants to run All-Out-Attacking Tomohawk, he gets some needed Ground coverage with Fighting and Flying.
And suddenly, defensive Tomohawk doesn't have Earth Power anymore.
Problem solved, right?
Right?
Also, kill Reflect. Holy God. Or, again, make it incompatible with Roost. 'Cause, Jesus Christ, those numbers make me wanna cry. I hope I never have to face that thing in real life.

Earth Power, like everyone has said, allows Tomohawk to take on would-be checks and threaten a lot more things. I think it should go. Also, if the ground coverage is so desired, it can run HP Ground. It still hits a lot of things hard. It's not as powerful as Earth Power, but satisfies the same basis. Could be considered on the LO Attacker set.

Reflect allows Tomohawk to wall nearly every physical attacker. This is way too much and needs to go. Tomohawk can still satisfy the same presence as a physical wall with assets like Haze.

As for haze, I'd like to note a personal opinion. Prankster Haze is amazing and the ability to stop set up sweepers is amazing. Where I have a problem here is that Tomohawk can do this multiple times during a match. It would be completely different if a frail mon had Prankster Haze and died after using it once. The fact that Tomohawk is bulky enough to do this multiple times during a match and has the ability to stop a set up sweep as long as it is still alive, which it is very good at, is over the edge for me.

Also, I think we should change Roost to Recover or Slack Off. While it may not occur often, it does give Tomohawk a slightly better match up against the Ice and Electric types that should check it. Having a turn where Tomohawk has priority healing and a way to remove a weakness is incredibly helpful. We should make the change to improve how Ice and Electric types check it, even if it only slightly helps.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The moment of truth has come. It's time for a Bold Vote, one that will decide whether Tomohawk will retain Reflect and/or Earth Power, or whether we will remove one or both. Please bold your choice, you may comment in ordinary text under your vote, if you so desire. The options for voting are:

Retain Reflect
Retain Earth Power

or

Retain Reflect
Remove Earth Power

or

Remove Reflect
Retain Earth Power

or

Remove Reflect
Remove Earth Power

This poll will remain open for 48 hours.

Retain Reflect
Retain Earth Power

Reflect strikes fear into my heart, even if I've never seen it. But that's the thing. No one ever sees it. Tomohawk simply doesn't have the space to fit Reflect on most of his sets, and if he does, it's because he has lots of support behind him, just to wall all physical mons, but still be forced out or KOd by Special mons with super-effective moves. Tomohawk is a support, a tank, a momentum grabber. Not a wall. Comparison: do you ever see Blissey here? No. It walls all Special Attackers to high heaven, but dies to any super-effective physical move. Reflect Tomohawk is basically physically defensive Blissey. Funny how nobody ever sees either of them...
Earth Power... Jas, Spark, HeaL... They know what's up. I'm not even gonna throw in my two cents here, 'cause their six cents should be enough to convince anybody. Earth Power is a hundred percent not broken, especially this gen.

Last edited:

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Retain Reflect
Retain Earth Power

The former vote may be subject to change, but my thoughts at the moment is that this is very much a move more powerful on paper than in practice. If it is so good, why do I never see it?

EDIT: After a bit of research, I found that Reflect Tomo is literally not a thing that people use, and it is hilarious that it is even up for discussion here. You can talk about how you don't use it for the sake of fun or something, but I don't buy that BS. Good stuff gets used in Pokemon, and stats show no one uses this. If it was actually good, they would, so there is no reason to get rid of it.

As for Earth Power, I just don't think it is that bad a move. When you have a mon with a ground move, you don't use electric types to counter it. People acting like certain Pokemon have a right to assume certain roles is something that has always bugged me, and this is no exception. I just don't see Earth Power as a bad thing in any way.

Last edited:
Remove Reflect
Retain Earth Power

"Tomohawk is a Flying-type. It shouldn't be able to hit Electric-types!" This argument holds very little weight with me. You can make that same argument about any Pokemon that runs a coverage move. If people are just looking for ways to generically nerf Tomohawk, there are better ways of accomplishing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)