SM OU CBZygarde-ZardY wallbreaking extravaganza

Introduction

Hey guys, recently been playing with this team I made and I just broke 1600 for the first time! Feel like it is the best team I've made, but there are a couple of things I imagine could be smoothed out with it, so I'm posting it here. it's built around the powerful wall-breaking combo of Banded Zygarde with MegaCharizard-Y.

Teambuilding Process

Enjoyed using CB Zygarde in a few other teams I was playing with, notably the team RMT'ed by Epix944 as "Banded Zygarde Offense (peaked #5)." Very few switch ins with great coverage in one move

The biggest issue I often had with Zygarde was Tangrowth--with regenerator and a ground resistance (one of few viable pokemon with such a resistance?), it could wall Zygarde all day. Well, what comes in on Tangrowth to deliver more super-powerful hits to the opposing team? this guy

Any team with Zard-y, or Zard in general, needs defog. There is really only one or two good defoggers...

I made fini my special wall and rounded out my FWG core with this thing, also providing rocks

I wanted something that could handle fast electric types well, as right now MegaManectric cleans up on my team and Koko does well against everything besides ferro. This guy gets free switchins against those two. I also had trouble with Mega-Medicham early on, and this guy can't be OHKO'd by common moves and can OHKO back, as well as making it very risky for them to click HJK.

Needed a scarfer, tried Gengar for a while but it wasn't working for me, so I added this guy, which also helps with weather teams

The Team

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Iron Tail
- Toxic
- Extreme Speed
The centerpiece. I dunno what the point of even having 4 moves on this guy is, the only times I've ever tried to land a toxic on Tangrowth I end up over-predicting and getting rolled by Fleur Cannon or something. Iron Tail is nice for Bulu and Clefable. Extreme Speed is really my only form of speed control on the team, but it does quite reasonably.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost
Since I can't use Zygarde to get a toxic on opposing Tangrowth, I figured I'd settle for OHKO'ing something by getting a free switch to this guy. Focus Blast for Heatran, which is so often an auto-switchin. HP Ice could be nice over roost, but Roosting off knock-off damage is cool and I'm not sure I'm faster than anything I would rather HP Ice than Fire Blast anyway.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Surf
- Moonblast
- Haze
Defog is mandatory, and surf over scald because no burns in misty terrain. Haze can save me against set-up sweepers who got the jump on me, and I don't think this team finds taunt that helpful, because passive mons just provide switchins for Charizard and Zygarde. Maybe it would be helpful to keep rocks from going up in the first place if a ferro switches in, but I've started just Power Whipping when Finis come in on my ferro bc the taunt is so obvious, so I am reluctant to try that myself

The max SpD means Heatran, Magearna, and even some Volcaronas really struggle to break through, and usually Ferro is enough on the physical side or else I can play around them. Also makes keldeo and Greninja-Ash useless, and I have only faced one Protean with this team and it didn't have Gunk shot (he may have won if he had had it too...)

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Power Whip
The other half of my defensive core. Max D because usually my method of dealing with physical sweepers/Banders is to switch this guy in, Leech seed as I almost get KO'd, and the protect stall my health back. Not too reliable, but otherwise I dunno what to do about Banded Zygarde. In fact, for that reason substitute Zygardes can be tough for this team, as I have to hope I can keep breaking subs with Power Whip. However, if I just keep Power Whipping then usually they are low enough by the time they kill ferro that they can be revenged.

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Will-O-Wisp
First three moves are standard, last one is a toss-up since I already have rocks. Switches in on a few key things that give everyone else trouble--Medicham, Manectric, some Magearna Volt switches, Koko, etc. I find it so odd that this thing is actually good bc it is so slow, but it wins enough key 1v1 situations that it does well enough for itself.

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
Wanted a scarfer and tried this guy for fun. Really good psychic switch-in, and the surprises I get with Ice Beam and Flamethrower are worth more than never clicking Crunch or Earthquake. I feel like this is the weakest element of the team, but I don't have any other good ideas for a Scarfer that wouldn't stack weaknesses or just not hit hard enough. I think I also tried Lele and didn't like it because this guy has such great switch-in utility, basically tanks any not super effective special hit. Also switching in on Zard-Y Solar beams is fun :)

Conclusion

I feel like the first 4 pokes are more or less fixed, but the last two have been giving me some trouble, and I lack strong speed control; however, this has been hurting me quite a bit less than I would have thought, as I just reached a personal best of 1605 (on what used to be an experimental account). Any help in general would be appreciated though, whether on the first 4 or the last two. Thanks!

Most recent replays are either of me winning or of a different version of the team :P
file:///C:/Users/Taylor/Downloads/Gen7OU-2017-06-18-therealsaltychips-dragontamergraham.html
intense game vs an ice team, getting too excited about a x4 weak in my face with Zard made it a lot harder overall
file:///C:/Users/Taylor/Downloads/Gen7OU-2017-06-18-dragontamergraham-bbcgirthquake.html
not a great game but I get to 6-0 a guy
file:///C:/Users/Taylor/Downloads/Gen7OU-2017-06-18-dragontamergraham-monoghostisfun.html
wrecking stall with a team of wallbreakers took longer than expected but was still fun

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Iron Tail
- Toxic
- Extreme Speed

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Surf
- Moonblast
- Haze

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Power Whip

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Will-O-Wisp

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

Attachments

Last edited:
That's unfortunate, I didn't save the showdown links as I thought this would be enough, and there doesn't seem to be a way to upload them back as they are html files :(

Here are three new replays, new peak is 1649:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-593589176 shows my over-reliance on leech seed stalling to beat set-up sweepers
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-593584687 autotomize celesteela needs to be played very carefully against...
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-593580189 annoying team where each member is its own threat to sweep, got a bit lucky, fared less well against the team the next time I faced it. Mega Pinsir has a bit of an easy set-up time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)