Chiptune, Classic VGM, etc. Thread

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
So to start off the thread:

[youtube]DHmYC8a_4cI[/youtube]

I have been listening to Chiptune & Classic VGM for quite a while now (I love all sorts of music, but I can't stand country/western...don't hate). Anamanaguchi is perhaps one of my favorite bands within the genre (which sadly is limited to just Anamanaguchi). Ever since my friend introduced me to Scott Pilgrim vs. the World the Game (a few years ago), I have been on the search for similar music. The mix of chiptune and rock makes it quite a unique and enjoyable blend. However, I have noticed that it's been a while since they've released an album, and was wondering if anyone knows if there are any bands do music similar to what Anamanaguchi does. I heard Anamanaguchi is coming out with an album soon, but I've been waiting for such a long time that I'd figure I'd come out and ask all you gamers of Smogon on what you know and have listened to within the genre.

In any event, for your listening pleasure:

[youtube]gwgeQdxZAFM[/youtube]

[youtube]5kOU7Pxi8-M[/youtube]

Including Anamanaguchi, I have also recently picked up a copy of Cave Story; the story and soundtrack create a sense of video game nostalgia and enjoyment, which made me fall in love with the game. I particularly enjoyed some of the intense boss battle music that the game had to offer.

[youtube]IdAzVhCof_4[/youtube]

[youtube]XIrdommE8xs[/youtube]

Albeit these are both extended versions of the original songs (I couldn't quite find a normal length of the song, but they're pretty repetitive, so whatever), but you get the gist of what this is. Intense.

Please share your favorite chiptune bands, any classic VGM you enjoy, or even any indie VGM that you may listen to.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I love the stuff that Souleye created for VVVVVV (Free Demo playable via browser using Flash, also available on 3DS, an PC via many different methods including Steam). He's got a new album that you can listen to on his website or buy for download at $10. I think I'm gonna pony up the cash to get it on my tablet, phone, and for Audiosurf purposes.

Actual Album Stream: http://www.souleye.se/adventure

YouTube Trailer (skip a minute in for music)
[youtube]qa1G4mPQ1o0[/youtube]

Edit: Ok just put down my $10 and purchased it after making the post lol

Starship Amazing. They're kinda chiptune/classic vgm

[youtube]A0PMtKN3KYA[/youtube]
[youtube]1c9GHbn09DA[/youtube]

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I love VG-inspired music. I have a couple of artists that I really enjoy:

Sabrepulse (Chiptune)
ThePlasmas (VG Metal)
Year 20XX (VG Metal)
Team Teamwork (VGM mashed up with popular tracks)

I'm at work so I can't link to Youtube, but definitely check 'em out

xenu

Banned deucer.
[youtube]iO7FlB_xpzw[/youtube]

This song was featured as part of the soundtrack of an indie game called Dustforce. There is literally not a single bad song on the album/OST, if you like this song I recommend getting the whole thing.

I have been waiting for a thread like this!!!

I have recently discovered the wonders that are the works of the Follin brothers - they were able to do amazing things with the NES' soundcard that boggles my mind. Just give these a listen, apparently their work on the SNES is even more mindblowing.

http://youtu.be/-J0H5ah1G7A

http://youtu.be/ao8N53m4mGU

Basically these guys made the NES their bitch and made kickass tunes (for some comparatively poor fare gameplay-wise)

Flash Flash Revolution has quite a good variety of 8-bit compositions and artists in their database of levels. A few I recommend that haven't been listed yet are Kommisar, RushJet1, ChaoticMarin (more of a re-arranger) and Virt.

As for re-imaginings of classic vgm, some stuff they have include Powerglove, Metaljonus, plenty of SSH and even some Black Mages in addition to Sabrepulse and ThePlasmas.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I think any of us that are video games fans are just automatically turned on by those boops and bleeps, mixed into music.

[youtube]edyE2NVRB1c[/youtube]
Yes. Yes. Yes. I realize that every single person with a 3DS and an internet connection has watched this video in 3D, but as a huge Star Trek and NES fan (by that, I mean that I'm like huge, like 400 pounds and am a fan of Star Trek and NES) I cannot get over how amazing this video is. The lyrics are a bit shallow, yes. But the music has all of those great chiptune tones, and the video itself hits straight to the heart of playing those 8 bit NES games (including the Konami code AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA), as well as being an extraordinary faithful parody of Star Trek: TOS.

So I've been listening to the J. Arthur Keenes Band a lot lately. While not purely chiptune, His latest album Pamplemousse is amazing to listen to and nicely put together.

[youtube]-AEhetgyCAo[/youtube]
[youtube]AmgXhPsDGvo[/youtube]

And of course Starscream - now known as Infinitry Shred :( :

[youtube]uk4LqIGLWAE[/youtube]

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
@Unbreakable: Black Mages are good, although they aren't technically Chiptune/Classic VGM, but the remixes that they do are quite enjoyable indeed.

@Manafii101: Actually the PW OST is one of my favorite OSTs to go through on an off-day.

[youtube]ptXXzQ_dXwg[/youtube]

I'm sure that you can't have a thread about chiptune music/classic vgm on a Pokemon forum without pulling out one of the most legendary tracks from the Pokemon series.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)