Comparing Mario Kart's City Courses to the Pokémon Regions (Read the OP, please)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Last week, Nintendo fans were met with the release of the final wave of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's Booster Course Pass DLC. This, in turn, came shortly after the announcement that the mobile installment Mario Kart Tour would no longer be receiving additional content updates in the future. At first glance, there isn't any real reason for me to talk about Mario Kart in a forum dedicated specifically to Pokémon I mean I guess they could always do a crossover course in the future but still, but upon remembering that Mario Kart's final city course was coincidentally based off of Spain (more specifically Madrid) just like Pokémon Scarlet & Violet draw inspirations from Spain and parts of Portugal, I couldn't help but want to try and compare each recreation and see which version did it best. On top of this, I also remembered other city courses exist too that have also had their real-world locations turned into a Pokémon region before.

Out of Mario Kart Tour (and 8 Deluxe)'s 14 city courses that were added, a total of five of their locations have been converted into a location in the Pokémon world. These cities include Tokyo for the Kanto region, New York for the Unova region, Paris for the Kalos region, London for the Galar region, and finally Madrid for the Paldea region, although I'm still not entirely convinced on that last one. Each game's attempts at recreating these cities involves different references to the population's culture and the city's history, among other things. If I had to pick, I would say the Mario Kart versions do a better job at referencing their source material while the Pokémon regions inevitably offer a lot more for the player to do than just a simple race course. In this thread, I'd like to encourage you guys to try and post about things you appreciate about either or, including any fun facts or trivia you might have to share. If possible, I would like to avoid encouraging posts about hypothetical regions that don't exist yet based on the remaining nine cities/countries, since that feels like wishlisting in my opinion. This is a pretty short OP, and I think I've covered everything I need to, so happy posting, everyone. Take care :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)