[COMPLETED] Aerodactyl

How viable would a Hone Claws boosting set? Boosts attack while making Stone Edge (and Fire fang to an extent) more reliable.

Didn't test it, just throwing it out?

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[Pros]

<ul>
<li>150 base Speed makes it a difficult Pokemon to outspeed.</li>
<li>WA wide coverage movepool with a solid 135 base 135 Attack gives it plenty of power to work with.</li>
<li>HIt has access to Taunt to cripple switch-ins and Roost to help boost Aerodactyl’its survival.</li>
<li>When Mega Evolved, it has Tough Claws helpsto boost its low bBase pPower attacks.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>MIts moves in general have very low base poweBP or or having questionable accuracy.</li>
<li>Tough Claws doesn't work on any Rock-type moves Aerodactyl has &mdash;nor does it work on Earthquake.</li>
<li>NoLacking access to Aqua Tail at the moment really blowsis annoying.</li>
<li>A Stealth Rock weakness is detrimentalways nasty to have for it.</li>
<li>Priority attacks really hurt it.</li>
</ul>

name: Mega-Pterrordactyl I would pick a more...serious name, but maybe that's just me
move 1: Stone Edge / Rock Slide
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Fire Fang / Ice Fang
move 4: Taunt / Roost
ability: Rock Head
item: Aerodactylite
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Adamant / Jolly

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Thanks to the power of Mega Evolution, Aerodactyl Mega Evolves into its prehistoric power figure of the past. the last part of this sentence doesn't really make sense...simplify it Stone Edge versus Rock Slide is all about power versus reliability. this sentence really doesn't flow well from the first sentence. I would prepend something like 'In regards to moveset, ...' oh, and you mention nothing about the pros of stone edge! mentions of kos/2hkos it gets, please~ If you plan to use Mega Aerodactyl solely as a revenge killer, (AC) then consider Rock Slide, (AC) as its accuracy is more reliable. Earthquake is mandatory, (AC) asince it offers reliablehas decent coverage with Rock Slide and Stone Edge while hittings intimidating threats such as Tyranitar, Aegislash, and Metagross for a decent amount of damage. For the third attack, Fire Fang is preferred to covers Skarmory, Scizor, and Ferrothorn while, (AC) but Ice Fang provides a cools dowmpelling option to handle Gliscor, Garchomp, and Flygon. As a supporting move, Taunt is great withexcellent for Mega Aerodactyl since Taunt, (AC) allows Mega Aerodactyling it to puncture walls such as Skarmory and Gliscor, while Roost is great for keeping Mega Aerodactyl healthy. You can forego Roost andor Taunt forand run both Ice Fang and Fire Fang to cover Ferrothorn and Gliscor in the same moveset. You run intowill have a more risks versus Skarmory anddifficult time against Hippowdon and Skarmory this way, as well as lack of recovery if Stealth Rock is on Mega Aerodactyl's side of the fieldto help mitigate the damage from Stealth Rock, but you do get reliable coverage. Mega Aerodactyl canial Ace is also use Aerial Acean option if Fighting-types are particularly threaten it moreing, (AC) or even Protect to prevent thsure fast opponents such as Timid Starmie and Timid Greninja from outspeeding Aerodactyl before Mega Evolving. there is some more grammar I would change at the end of this sentence, but...you don't really explain the pros of protect. that blurb doesn't really tell me anything. please elaborate, or remove it. Adamant is the preferred nature to give Mega Aerodactyl extra power while still outspeeding threats such as +1 Mega Tyranitar after a Dragon Dance and Timid Mega Gengar. If +1 Jolly Gyarados after a Dragon Dannd Choice and Scarf users suchwith around the same Speed as Heracross are more threatening enough to your team, use Jolly. Jolly; it is also aby far the safest option to run if you planwish to usrevenge kill with Mega Aerodactyl solely as a revenge killer.</p>

<p>Mega Aerodactyl really loves entry hazards;, especially with the wallbreaker set. huh? I'm not seeing wallbreaker anywhere on this set Tyranitar can set up Stealth Rock and add extra damagehelp wear down foes thanks to the sandstorm it induces. It can catch Scizor or Gliscor off-guard with Fire Blast or Ice Beam, respectively. this seems misplaced. I would move it up to be with the rest of the comments about the moveset Skarmory can set up Spikes and phaze with Whirlwind to help rack up passive damage. Spinblockers such aslike Trevenant, Gengar, and Aegislash awork well with Mega Aerodactyl. [cooperate well with Mega Aerodactyl.lor=pink]what in particular makes these spinblockers good choices? this is important to elaborate on.[/color] Spinner support is great to have. you've gotta mention why, as this just kind appears as 'oh yeah if you can provide it that'd be cool'. it's a pretty important thing to have I'd say, so mention this. Starmie is an particular has great partsynergy, asince it can beat foes such as Gliscor, while Mega Aerodactyl with Fire Fang can take out Ferrothorn. Excadrill also works since it appreciates Mega Aerodactyl possibly clearing eihould you choose to run Ice Beam or Fire Blast, as they handle two thereats (Gliscor and Scizor Scizor, respectively) that trouble Excadrill, while Mega Aerodactyl likappreciates having bulkier threats such aslike Aegislash off the field. Defensive spinners such as Forretress also works as; Forretress has the added benefit of laying entry hazards. Also, offensive entry hazard users such as Greninja and Roserade pair nicely with Mega Aerodactyl. hazard setters almost seen tacked onto the end. it would be highly beneficial to the reader to know tangible benefits of running hazards with mega aerodactyl -- specifically kos/2hkos they help it achieve.</p>

<remove line break>
[Checks and Counters]
<add line break>

<p>With the lack of Aqua Tail, Hippowdon is Mega Aerodactyl's number one path to extinction. Since itArmed will commonly carryth Rock Slide to stop Talonflame, Mega Aerodactyl is going to not enjoy taking repeated Rock Slides. Hippowdon can easily, it can deal severe damage to it whilst recovering with Slack Off. It cand, if Mega Aerodactyl carries even take advantage of the grounding effect of Roost, can severely dent Mega Aerodactyl with STAB Ear by using Earthqake as it recovers its healthquake. The rest of its counters varely specifically on what Mega Aerodactyl carries for itsin effectiveness&mdash;many having to watch out for one specific coverage moveset. WFor example, without Aerial Ace, Fighting-types like Conkeldurr are major problems for Mega Aerodactyl. If it lacks Taunt, Conkeldurr and Machamp can switch into Mega Aerodactyluse it as setup fodder with little impunity and shut it down in more ways than one. If Mega Aerodactyl lacks Taunt, Conkeldurr could take the opportunity to set up Bulk Up while healingBulk Up, healing itself after it is sufficiently boosted with STAB Drain Punch. Without Fire Fang, Ferrothorn becomes, literally, a major thorn in Mega Aerodactyl's side. With various ways of torturing Mega Aerodactyl; it can take it out on the spot with its STAB Gyro Ball, STAB Power Whip, cripplinge it with Thunder Wave, or even leechingdrain its health off with Leech Seed, Ferrothorn can be a major threat if Mega Aerodactyl lacks Fire Fang. Scizor also becomes much more menacing sincewith the lack of Fire Fang, (AC) as Mega Aerodactyl only then has STAB Stone Edge or Rock Slide, (AC) which aren't even all tohat threaten Scizoring, (AC) on the switch. Meanwhile, Scizor bypasses Mega Aerodactyl's Speedcan destroy it with its STAB priority Bullet Punch and can shrug off theany damage with Roost. WOn the other hand, without Ice Fang, Gliscor becomes a bigmuch larger pain in the neck to deal with. Much likessue. Similar to Skarmory, however, Gliscor can liketypically do very little to harm Mega Aerodactyl backin retaliation so long as Mega Aerodactyl carries Taunt. ThoughHowever, unlike Skarmory, Gliscor has boostedenhanced turn-to-turn healing thanks to Poison Heal, doeisn't havepressured to run Shed Shell in fear of Magnezone like Skarmory often does, and can sometimeseven carry Ice Fang or Stone Edge for rareto deal some pretty heavy damage to instances.</p>

<p>In general, though they might not be perfect counters or even checks, bulkier Pokemon such aslike Rotom-W and Aegislash areally need to be weakened in order for massive obstacles to Mega Aerodactyl to succeed. It is highly recommended that, as it cannot OHKO them, while they can OHKO in return. Finally, Pokemon with strong priority attacks, such as Azumarill, Mamoswine, Lucario, Scizor, and even Conkeldurr, are shut down before attempting a sweep withimple ways to ensure Mega Aerodactyl does not pose too much of a threat to your team.</p>

I didn't provide a c/p because there are a lot of comments to be addressed. There was some choppy writing and a lack of necessary elaboration in some places (which I pointed out).

In any case, with this check we can call this GP Approved 1/1.

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hm, guess I have to get used to some of the new format. Almost want to re-write it since it looks that bad.

Also, just to double check:
imple ways to ensure
simple right?

EDIT: Fuck it I'm re-writing it. I know I shouldn't have rushed.

Last edited:

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Colonel M the sets now need to be in HTML form, please wrap sets information in <p></p> tags and use <br /> for new lines. Use this to also give it one more comb-over.

Tag me when that's done and I'll get around to it by tonight.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'll try to do this after Linux homework, but it'll be a little while. Sorry Jukain - rest assured your work isnt in vain.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
I was in the middle of writing this and realized that Mega Gengar is now banned. With that said, I will have to do a couple minor revisions, but it should be up by Friday at the latest.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
<p>Coming “Back in Black”, Aerodactyl makes it onto the scene once again in OU competitive play while attempting to get away from its major problem within the last two generations – attempting to break away from niche roles in OU. Thanks to the revelation of Mega Evolution, Aerodactyl has increased its potential of becoming a menacing threat in OU. For starters, 150 base Speed is hard to beat. A neutral nature outspeeds even Timid Mega Gengar, and Jolly just prevents Mega Alakazam and Mega Manecrtic while always being faster than Gyarados and Mega Tyranitar; even after a assuming they used Dragon Dance. With the major Speed boost also came the boosts to Attack – a solid 135 base Attack and an ability in Tough Claws to help boost its contact moves.</p>

[Pros]

<ul>
<li>150 base Speed makes it a difficult Pokemon to outspeed.</li>
<li>A diverse movepool to take advantage of base 135 Attack and Tough Claws.</li>
<li>Taunt and Roost make Aerodactyl an annoying Pokemon to face off against.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>Aerodactyl's attacks have either low BP or questionable accuracy.</li>
<li>Tough Claws does not work any of Aerodactyl's STAB Rock-type moves.</li>
<li>Weakness to Stealth Rock and priority attacks such as Aqua Jet and Bullet Punch.</li>
</ul>

name: Offensive
move 1: Stone Edge / Rock Slide
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Fire Fang / Ice Fang
move 4: Taunt / Roost
ability: Rock Head
item: Aerodactylite
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Adamant / Jolly

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Thanks to Aerodactylite, Aerodactyl is capable of Mega Evolving into a very fast and powerful sweeper. After a Mega Evolution, Aerodactyl with an Adamant nature has 405 Attack and 399 Speed. 399 Speed is enough to outspeed threats such as Jolly +1 Mega Tyranitar and Timid Jolteon. Stone Edge is Aerodactyl's best STAB thanks to its high base power and increased chance of a critical hit. Rock Slide, though weaker than Stone Edge, offers 10% extra accuracy and a 30% chance to make the opponent flinch. Earthquake compliments Rock Slide or Stone Edge and is Aerodactyl's best move to hit Tyranitar, Aegislash, and Metagross. Fire Fang scorches Scizor and Ferrothorn whereas Ice Fang freezes Gliscor and Garchomp from walling or switching into Aerodactyl. Taunt is recommended for shutting down Pokemon that rely on non-damaging moves such as Skarmory and Gliscor while Roost allows Aerodactyl to recover from residual damage. Aerodactyl can opt to use both Fire Fang and Ice Fang instead of Taunt or Roost to cover extra threats. Aerodactyl can also run Taunt and Roost to become a wallbreaker while being able to recover from damage taken over time. Aerial Ace is another STAB option that Aerodactyl has access to that prevents Fighting-types from switching in. Protect is a viable move as Adamant Mega Aerodactyl is prone to being slower than Timid Starmie. Protect can help Aerodactyl scout attacks from the opponent while offering a safe Mega Evolution. Thunder Fang is also an option to inflict heavier damage on Azumarill and Slowbro.</p>

<p>Aerodactyl can opt to use a Jolly nature instead of Adamant if you want to take full advantage of Aerodactyl's base 150 Speed. A Jolly nature can allow Aerodactyl to re-allocate its Speed EVs into HP for extra durability. Aerodactyl can reach 400 Speed after a Mega Evolution, a Jolly nature, and 112 Speed EVs. This allows Aerodactyl to outspeed Timid Gengar before Mega Evolution and Adamant Mega Aerodactyl after Mega Evolution. Aerodactyl can use 136 Speed EVs to guarantee being faster than Timid Starmie before Mega Evolution. You can also run 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe with a Jolly nature to guarantee tying Mega Alakazam while also outspeeding threats such as Mega Manectric and +1 Jolly Gyarados.</p>

<p>Aerodactyl likes Stealth Rock support. Tyranitar is a great Pokemon to pair with Aerodactyl; Sandstream helps boost Aerodactyl's Special Defense to take special attacks in dire emergencies while wearing down opponents not resistant to sand. Tyranitar is capable of taking on threats such as Jolteon while being able to withstand some attacks from Starmie and Rotom-W. Fire Blast or Ice Beam can be used to catch Ferrothorn or Gliscor off-guard, but Pursuit is also a great option to help chase fleeing threats such as Metagross or Gengar. Aerodactyl has an easier time bypassing threats such as Gliscor and Skarmory with Taunt and Rock Slide. Alternatively, Ferrothorn can take on threats such as Starmie, Gyarados, and Choice Band Azumarill to an extent. Ferrothorn can cripple threats with Thunder Wave or drain health through Leech Seed. Magnezone is a great partner for Aerodactyl as it can trap many of its Steel-type problems to make Aerodactyl's job of sweeping or wallbreaking easier. Magnezone, meanwhile, appreciates the fact that Aerodactyl can combat threats such as Blissey, Talonflame, and Volcarona to some extent. Thanks to Rotom-W's good bulk and dual STABs, Rotom-W is a huge threat to Aerodactyl. Trevenant and Gourgeist resist both of Rotom-W's STABs while having STAB Horn Leech or STAB Seed Bomb to wear down Rotom-W; as an added bonus, both Trevenant and Gourgeist make very good spin blockers, although both must also beware of Will-O-Wisp. Trevenant and Gourgeist do have to beware of Will-O-Wisp. As an added bonus, both Trevenant and Gourgeist make very good spin blockers. Aegislash and Gengar also work as spin blockers if Aerodactyl's team needs more offense. For spinners, Starmie or Excadrill works well. Starmie handles Hippowdon and Gliscor while Excadrill handles Rotom-W to some extent. Both of these Pokemon appreciate Aerodactyl picking off Pokemon that threaten them such as Ferrothorn threatening Starmie and Gliscor threatening Excadrill. Defog is a fine alternative to spinning, though the options are much smaller. Mandibuzz is the best option, though beware, as it shares many of the same weaknesses with Aerodactyl.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Hippowdon is a major threat to Aerodactyl if Hippowdon carries Rock Slide or Ice Fang. If Aerodactyl carries Taunt and Ice Fang it can beat Hippowdon one-on-one thanks to denying Hippowdon access to Slack Off and possibly leaving it with Earthquake as its only attacking move. Rotom-W can be a major issue because it has the bulk to withstand some of Aerodactyl's abuse while threatening Aerodactyl with STAB Volt Switch, Thunderbolt, Discharge, or Hydro Pump. Rotom-W can also cripple Aerodactyl with Will-O-Wisp or Thunder Wave. Bulky Water-types such as Gastrodon, Vaporeon, and Slowbro have little trouble taking on Aerodactyl. Gastrodon resists Rock Slide and Stone Edge whereas Slowbro has access to Regenerator to heal off damage after it switches out. Many bulky Water-types also carry STAB Scald which has a 30% chance to burn Aerodactyl. Whenever Aerodactyl forgets to pack heat in the form of Fire Fang, Steel-types such as Ferrothorn and Scizor become harder to beat. Ferrothorn has a plethora of ways to hamper Aerodactyl and Scizor can bypass Aerodactyl's Speed with STAB Bullet Punch. Garchomp can be an issue as it resists STAB Rock Slide and Stone Edge and, without Ice Fang, Aerodactyl only has Earthquake to really attempt to take on Garchomp. Without Roost, Aerodactyl is worn out by Stealth Rock should it stay on the field. Priority attacks such as Bullet Punch, Aqua Jet, and Ice Shard also ruin Aerodactyl's fun. Status effects really shut down Aerodactyl as it does not enjoy any status effect at all. Paralysis, sleep, and burn really cripple Aerodactyl while Toxic limits Aerodactyl's potential of killing threats such as Gliscor and Skarmory.</p>
Good shit.

As expected of the Tyrant.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
Zystral be all like "damn I'm not GPing his shit again."

I'm kidding. Though like Jukain, feel free to toss suggestions too whenever necessary.

Anyway, copied and pasted. This is now complete!

And I am definitely reserving this once Pokebank arrives.

Ice Fang is too important if you ask me... without it Gliscor can likely wall Aerodactyl forever and ever while doing painful damage with Stone Edge or Poisoning it with Toxic

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)