[COMPLETED] Charizard

Earthquake is on the Mega Charizard X set, but it's not mentioned anywhere in the writeup. It doesn't really do anything besides hit Azumarill (and Tough Claws Flare Blitz does more to that anyways), so instead, I would use Roost. Roost is really nice for recovering from SR / Flare Blitz recoil / weak physical attacks etc. Using both Dragon Claw and Outrage is also a good option, but you already have that covered.

McGrrr's WoW set is also really nice; I would add that after DD.

Also agreeing with Treecko that the c&c section is really lacking atm. One thing you should make particular mention of is the fact that Charizard can mega evolve to either Mega Charizard X or Y. The fact that Charizard can evolve into one or the other makes it difficult to counter the first time around.

The Overview is also lacking. "Makes for a good sun abuser." Do you use Mega Charizard Y because it abuses sun, or because it is a damn good wallbreaker? Damn good wallbreaker. You should focus more on their roles rather than facts that aren't particularly relevant (the "doesn't fear burn like other DD'ers" is a good one, though). Make sure to talk about how Mega Charizard X is a great sweeper with Dragon Dance that is complimented by its near perfect coverage + Tough Claws.

I updated the Checks and Counters sections.

As for McGrrr's set which EV spread I'm I using? The 104 HP / 220 Atk / 8 SDef / 176 Spd, the 104 HP / 188 Atk / 8 SpD / 208 Spe or the 248 HP / 84 SDef / 176 Spd?

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Go with this set for now:

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 84 SDef / 176 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

Also, slash Fire Punch after Roost on the first set, it is really nice to have a Fire move without recoil. And add the bulky spread that McGrrr mentioned in the last page in the AC of the first set.

Regarding the end section of the first set, Sticky Web doesn't help +1 Charizard X with Scarf Mence because of its Flying type. That will still be a speed tie. ScarfChomp would be a better example to mention there I think, if not just grounded Scarf users in general.

From the Dragon Dance set: "Due to his somewhat low base Speed, base 100 Speed Choice Scarf Salamence will speed tie Jolly Charizard after a Dragon Dance, and take you out. To help get around this, Sticky Web provides the support for Mega Charizard X to be able to set up and begin sweeping." While Sticky Web support is helpful to his sweep, this is a bad example because the Salamence you're referencing is immune to said Sticky Web, not helping your sweep at all.

I would slash Flame Charge with Roost on the ZardY set. If you needed to kill something without relying on the horrible accuracy of Fire Blast, in can be an option. A 1.5x SpD boost is enough to outspeed all unboosted mons, as well as scarfed mons with below 100 base SpD. How is this significant? Suddenly you don't care about Genesect, Greninja, Gengar, Jolteon, Mega Luke, non scarfed Terrakion, Keldeo, which is imo a pretty big deal, turning ZardY from a wallbreaker into a sweeper(for 4 turns) if the requirements are rightfully met.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
On Charizard-Y, can Flamethrower be slashed next to Focus Blast? While yes, FB hits Tyranitar (Assault Vest tanks that) and in Pokebank it hits Heatran, it's consistent miss rate is rather annoying and using Flamethrower gives you another reliable Fire-STAB to spam, and FB only has 8 PP as well...

Also, when Pokebank comes up, can we AC Hidden Power Ground? It reliably does copious amounts of damage to goddamn Heatran (we can even AC it now for Chandelure?).

I would slash Flame Charge with Roost on the ZardY set. If you needed to kill something without relying on the horrible accuracy of Fire Blast, in can be an option. A 1.5x SpD boost is enough to outspeed all unboosted mons, as well as scarfed mons with below 100 base SpD. How is this significant? Suddenly you don't care about Genesect, Greninja, Gengar, Jolteon, Mega Luke, non scarfed Terrakion, Keldeo, which is imo a pretty big deal, turning ZardY from a wallbreaker into a sweeper(for 4 turns) if the requirements are rightfully met.
I agree with this. Stuff like Skarmory and Forretress that have Sturdy are much more reliably KOed with Flame Charge. Additionally, since it's physical, you can use it to set up without giving away whether you are going X or Y.

On Charizard-Y, can Flamethrower be slashed next to Focus Blast? While yes, FB hits Tyranitar (Assault Vest tanks that) and in Pokebank it hits Heatran, it's consistent miss rate is rather annoying and using Flamethrower gives you another reliable Fire-STAB to spam, and FB only has 8 PP as well...

Also, when Pokebank comes up, can we AC Hidden Power Ground? It reliably does copious amounts of damage to goddamn Heatran (we can even AC it now for Chandelure?).
I use HP Ground for Heatran, SpDef ones take 70% and offensive ones gets cleanly OHKO'd. But it's because I have a reliable counter to Tyranitar that's why I run HP ground.

Greninja is a pretty solid partner for Charizard X as it can easily crush Pokemon that can survive a +1 move from it (mainly things like Slowbro and Hippowdon). Greninja also has Taunt which can help with SR issues allowing Charizard more turns to keep switching in

I thought of a high risk-high reward set :

Ability: Blaze/Solar Power - Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Earthquake
- Flame Charge
- Roost

Having tested it, it is not so hard to set-up considering his bulk, and his useful resistances/immunities prior to mega-evolving. Calculations show that at +6 Flame Charge with Though Claw score 2HKO and OHKO on most of the metagame. Flare Blitz can be used of course but is detrimental to it's bulk.

What do you guys think about adding Wobbuffet as a potential teammate? i have yet to test it out, but wobbuffet should be a huge assistance in dealing with certain Pokemon that give Mega Charizard X some problems. for example ...

Choice Banded Azumarill can easily get KO'd by Wobuffet. However, Play Rough does around 51 percent minimum IIRC. so he might need a little bit of more bulk in his Defense to get past that.

Choice Scarf Garchomp, who can outspeed and OHKO +1 Adamant Mega_X, dies to Wobbuffet cleanly.

Hippowdon can be beaten one v one by Wobbuffet as If Wobbuffet encores it into EQ then wobbuffet should be able to do some hefty damage if not KO it. otherwise someone please tell me otherwise cause again i have never used it yet in tandem with mega_x.

The same can potentially be applied to slowbro

------

hansenchaze
Never used Y but I can't think of anything too significant that timid outspeeds. Zmodest mightbbe best to straight OHKO and potentially 2HKO some bulky Pokemonn with STAB Fire Blast

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
For Mixed Char-Y, is there any particular reason to use Naughty/Naive over Lonely/Hasty, or is it just to take priority a bit better?

Hi guys, this is my Mega Charizard X moveset:

Nature: Adamant
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Speed/6 Def

Dragon Dance
Flare Blitz
Outrage
EarthQuake

What you guys think? Is this Good?
Or i need to change Nature, EV's or any move?

Focus Blast does the same exact damage as Hidden Power Ground to Heatran. It is also nearly as risky considering Balloon/Shuca Berries being on a lot of Heatrans.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
It's still more reliable than focus miss. I only said to AC mention it, as I believe the lack of power in return for reliablility is worth at least that.

It's still more reliable than focus miss. I only said to AC mention it, as I believe the lack of power in return for reliablility is worth at least that.
Earthquake would probably be better then, considering...

252 SpAtk HP Ground 90.4 - 106.5%
4 Atk Earthquake 87.9 - 104%

You also get a Physical Attack to utilize at the same time, while doing a lot more to Specially Defensive Heatrans whenever one may show up. But in that case you may as well use the mixed set to accomplish almost the same thing.

Also, Drought Fire Blast does a bit more to Chandelure anyway (124 vs 120 damage) assuming that most Chandelure are going to use infiltrator, although it's not like it is a relevant Pokemon. AC is not for moves that hit one variant of a Pokemon that is likely to go UU.

Last edited:
Due to his somewhat low base Speed, base 100 Speed Choice Scarf Salamence will speed tie Jolly Charizard after a Dragon Dance, and take you out. To help get around this, Sticky Web provides the support for Mega Charizard X to be able to set up and begin sweeping.</p>
Uh, Salamence is immune to Sticky Web.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)