Custom 3D Animated Renders

Just wanted to say these are absolutely amazing! The talent on display is obviously vast but you make it look so effortless and like these 'mons have slipped right out of the actual game.

A lot of Pokemon sprites seem to "bob up and down" and it's awesome to see you doing other things with them, like Mega-TTar almost clenching and unclenching its claws/fingers.

Keep up the amazing work!

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hi, i don't often place requests in art / sprite threads, but it would be amazing if you could take (shiny) mega gardevoir's model and pose it in a similar way to regular gardevoir's platinum version sprite. its current render rip just stands there in a boring way, and i'd like one of my two favorite pokemon to have a more dynamic model. thanks in advance, regardless of whether or not you choose to work on this.

gardevoir's platinum sprite:

(mega) gardevoir's model on the model's resource:

http://www.models-resource.com/3ds/pokemonxy/model/8336/

Last edited:

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
Update:
I may not be able to work on these sprites for a few months. This is my last year in high school, and as a Senior, I'm required to work on a Senior Project relating to my focus program. The project I am working on is 3D animation related, and I need to make a short film with 3D animation... Anyway, as a result, I won't have time to work on these sprites until the end of this school year, because I need all the spare time I can get to work on this.

I do have a work in progress Gardevoir sprite though, but it's going to have to wait a while before I can finalize it.

Last edited:

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
I'm back!

Gardevoir
(Shiny Version)

Original
---> New

Original
---> New

Original
---> New

Original
---> New

As always, feel free to criticize my work.

For those who are curious as to what I was doing when I was gone, you can check out the project I was working on here. Since I'm now able to work on these again, I can also start taking requests for new sprites. So if you request something, I MIGHT work on your suggestion as long as I feel like redoing the sprite is justified enough for me to spend my time on it, and the Pokemon's model also has to be available for me to download from this website, otherwise I wouldn't even be able to get started.

Last edited:
Great to see you back in action, DJ! I've missed your work, so it's awesome to see another work of yours.

Awesome job on Mega Gardevoir, overall. I feel like the robe lacks shading on a few sides, though that may just be me. In terms of posing, I can't complain at all. The little nitpick aside, very neat work as always.

I've got a suggestion for a new model, that being Mega Sceptile. I like the normal pose in the original model, but the way it's posed makes it look a bit...flat. I hope you get what I'm saying, otherwise I'll clarify. Anyway, here's an idea of a pose (which can also be mirrored if that's easier).

Hope it's a suggestion worth considering.

Keep up the great work!
- Kyuzeth

Love all of your models here! These are superb, and it's amazing how much a new animation can change a Pokemon's look.
I agree about Mega Sceptile's pose though. It should be changed, the way it just points its' tail at you is weird.

I don't think sceptile really needs a pose like that. The main point of it, is it's tail anyways.
At the very least, I think the front sprite could be angled differently, so it doesn't look as 'flat' as it currently is. I hope you know what I'm saying with that.

Sebberball

formerly BoXeD
I'm not sure if you can do anything with my favorite Pokemon Torterra, but if you could it would be great, I would like it more like its BW sprite, if you use the BW sprite and make the Pokemon, it would make Torterra look better, since Torterra looks so stupid in the new games or use the platinum sprite, it looks great when in platinum...
Torterra looks like this in BW:

And he looks like this in platinum:

Plz + ty

Butterfree, please. It's already been ripped. It looks fairly passive in the actual games, but I could see it being a playful little fairy in real life, dancing and flitting around. :D

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist

Typhlosion
Original
---> New

Original
---> New

Original
---> New

Original
---> New

I wanted to do Typhlosion for quite a while now. I find Typhlosion's pose in XY to be one of the most boring when compred to its 2D sprites in previous games. The biggest factor is of course his fire being absent in his idle animation, but I also wanted to repose it, naturally. For those who've played Pokemon Gold or Crystal, you might recognize this pose. It's a shame that Typhlosion is currently complete garbage in every single tier he's legal to use in, though.

The Typhlosion looks amazing with those flickering flames! More interesting than the official one.

On a side note, do you plan on posting Plasmanta and Aurumoth to this thread? I see them in your signature, but still.

The Typhlosion looks amazing with those flickering flames! More interesting than the official one.

On a side note, do you plan on posting Plasmanta and Aurumoth to this thread? I see them in your signature, but still.
Where can I talk about Plasmanta and Aurumoth's 3D models? They look amazing. IIRC, these are some of the Fakemon that Smogon themselves made, right?

Where can I talk about Plasmanta and Aurumoth's 3D models? They look amazing. IIRC, these are some of the Fakemon that Smogon themselves made, right?
Yeah, they're both part of the CAP Project subforum. There's also a thread specifically for updating old CAPs into 3D models that you can check out:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/cap-3d-modeling-project.3536091/

Anyway, I have a suggestion: Mienshao.

I mean, for a Pokemon that uses its arms as whips, its pose seems a bit too passive. I pose similar to Mienfoo's might make it look more attack-oriented and martial arts-y.

p.s. All these models are amazing, DJTHED. Keep up the good work!

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
This animation is simply amazing, your skills really blow me away tbh. But that might have something to do with me sucking with anything 3d modeling lol

Not really a request as much as I'd like to say: I actually have a way to run a custom client on a custom server I can host pretty soon and we can test these out as actual 3d animations on a pokemon server if you'd like

there is some IRL stuff I have to do so I can't really do it SOON but in like 2 weeks or so I can promise to test some stuff out and get it up. Kinda iffy since I haven't ran a custom client since PS started using 3d models. But my general knowledge can get me through something silly like a png to 3dm change

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
This animation is simply amazing, your skills really blow me away tbh. But that might have something to do with me sucking with anything 3d modeling lol

Not really a request as much as I'd like to say: I actually have a way to run a custom client on a custom server I can host pretty soon and we can test these out as actual 3d animations on a pokemon server if you'd like

there is some IRL stuff I have to do so I can't really do it SOON but in like 2 weeks or so I can promise to test some stuff out and get it up. Kinda iffy since I haven't ran a custom client since PS started using 3d models. But my general knowledge can get me through something silly like a png to 3dm change
I have no problem with you adding my renders to a modified PS client if you wish to do so.

Amazing work. Just the other day I wrote a post in the 'worst sprites' thread over in Orange Islands complaining that Typhlosion needs flames. I saw your sig which lead me here. I'd like to request Espeon, if you're up to it. Ever since I saw its original art in the GSC guide I have loved that Pokémon, yet none of it's sprites since Gold/Crystal have done it justice. In my opinion it should be in a very calm pose, like your Leafeon, its gem pulsing (like your Umbreon), ready to invade the mind of its opponent and not prancing around like this:

Anyway, it's cool if you're too busy, I understand. Here's the original art for reference:

and thanks in advance, even if you decide not to do it. I love your work and will be watching this thread along with the CAP 3D modeling thread, I can't believe the talent both here and there.

DJTHED, I was pointed to your work by someone posting your Typhlosion redo in the worst sprites thread, and let me just say this is fantastic. I honestly thought some of those were official models for a while; they all just look so great!
...One thing that might just be me, though, the flames on Typhlosion look a little off...
Ah, looking at BW sprites:
, the coloring seems to be a tiiiiny bit different, with vibrant reds on the edges and the oranges and yellows you have more towards the middle...Of course, this may just be me thinking it looks odd, as you perfectly nailed the flames animation/placement IMO. Just a suggestion if you happen to go back and tweak the model in the future, nothing too pressing...Keep up the good work :)!

Well I used the official Pokemon XY model and textures (this is the texture that was ripped from the game for the flames). You should be saying that to GameFreak, not me. :P
Haha, you have a point there. GF really did not do well on Typhlosion this gen, but I guess I can cut them a little slack for it being the first (main series) 3d game...a little slack. Anyway, thanks for clearing that up, excellent work :) (also I really like that Plasmanta animation. Looks amazing!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)