SM OU Defensive Hazards with Late Sweepers!

Introduction

Hey guys! This is my first official forum post, and I'll kick things off with an interesting team concept. This team revolves around momentum and bulk, and then bringing in a late game sweeper to finish things off. I've tweaked a few things since I made the team, and would like some input on any suggestions you guys might have.

Teambuilding Process

First of all, my team needed a good physical sweeper, and Mega Lopunny is one of the best standalone physical sweepers and revenge killers in OU right now. Fake out for obvious reasons, Return deals massive damage to anything that doesn't resist it, same with High Jump Kick, and Ice punch has good coverage and hits any pesky dragon types I need removed.

Heatran has been a staple on many OU teams, and she fits perfectly on this one. This is your basic Toxic trapping set, running Earth Power and Substitute for predicted switch ins. Having a substitute up on Heatran feels good in almost any situation, and it can usually nab you some massive damage on at least something, provided Magma Storm hits. Otherwise, you can go for a Toxic and put the opposing mon on a timer. Keep Heatran away from Dugtrio and any ground moves, and there shouldn't be much reason for it to die.

Yet another OU staple, Ferrothorn is this team's premier PhysDef wall. In conjunction with Smeargle, I decided to make him a spiker, because what's not to love about more hazards? Leech Seed, Toxic, and Protect finish off it's moveset, making him a very good defensive pivot. Keep him away from any mon that knows Taunt though, because it will force a bad switch and you will lose a lot of momentum. It has obvious synergy with Heatran's Flash Fire as well.

I had to think long and hard if I was going to be that guy in OU using Sticky Web. After cursing myself and using it for a while with this composition, it simply fits too well. Smeargle makes for a good lead as always, provided your opponent has no Fake Outs or Taunts. Spore infuriates your opponent, and ensures you get both Webs and Rocks up. I wasn't sure about the last moveslot, so I just put Sucker Punch for lols. Input would be GREATLY appreciated on that last move, since I've never used Smeargle before.

Rotom-Wash remains one of my favorite defensive pivots, and this is a special wall to compliment the PhysDef Ferrothorn. Running Trick Scarf to hopefully cripple one of their own defensive pivots, getting the Trick off can sometimes be a little "tricky." (#SorryNotSorry) Hydro Pump hits hard, Volt Switch maintains momentum, and Will-O-Wisp cripples any physical attackers that would otherwise threaten it, or cancels out leftovers recovery on any steel types. At worst, this is a choice scarf defensive pivot, which isn't too bad to be honest.

The team needed a good special attacker, and this one just so happens to be quite a niche. Togekiss becomes very scary with an Ancient Power boost, and can often rip the opposing team to shreds with Air Slashes. Aura Sphere for coverage and Defog for hazard removal, and this Special Sweeper can do some massive damage to the enemy team in the late game. One Ancient Power boost with Sticky Web up is about all you need to win, since the speed EV is designed to allow it to outspeed any bulky attackers that switch in on it provided that Togekiss has the boost, and Sticky Web will slow down most of the top speed tiers to a manageable level.

The Team

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Return
Revenge killer extraordinaire, Mega Lopunny can deal out some massive damage on almost any mon in the meta. She stays relatively safe since she doesn't stay on the field for too long, and helps the bulky core of the team by finishing off an opposing mon at the brink of death.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Toxic
Max speed Heatran has always been my favorite EV spread for it, as its ample defenses and defensive typing has no need for defensive investment other than HP. The trapping set can quickly kill off an opposing switch in, or at least tick off some HP. With Sticky Web up, Heatran also has the capability of a late game sweep. When a Heatran is underestimated, your opponent is going to have a bad time.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Toxic
- Protect
- Spikes
Yet another defensive pivot, Ferrothorn can provide valuable Leech Seed support to the team. Due to it's linear playstyle, getting a good switch in is often easy and can help Heatran and Rotom stay healthy throughout the battle. Spikes offers more chip damage on the opposing team, and is also not bad to have if Sticky Web and Rocks get removed. Some hazards are better than no hazards.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Sucker Punch
Smeargle remains one of the best and most versatile Web and Rock setters in the meta. Enough has been said already, I just need suggestions on his last moveslot.

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Trick
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
Arguably one of the best defensive pivots in the meta, Rotom-Wash can also serve as an excellent anti-lead. Most people who see a Smeargle on an opposing team will go straight to a mon that can absorb the Spore or remove the hazards it would normally set. Giving their lead a Scarf will very effectively cripple them, and gain you a lot of momentum in the early game. When you lead with Rotom-W, you want to play it slow, and if you see your opponent has an opportunity to get their own hazards up, it is usually fine to switch to Smeargle to get yours up as well.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 100 HP / 212 SpA / 196 Spe
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Ancient Power
- Aura Sphere
- Defog
As said before, the team needed a special sweeper. Being the scumbag I am, I decided to run with Togekiss. One boost in the late game is often all it takes to eat through the rest of your opponent's team. 60% chance to flinch with Air Slash is simply beautiful, and can oftentimes nab you some hilarious and slow deaths. If needed, she also acts as a Defogger, usually to remove layers of spikes that cripple my defensive pivots. 100 EVs in HP help it to tank a few more hits while it attempts to get an Ancient Power boost, and it helps to make it very tanky after the boost. Usually after two boosts, the game is as good as over.

Conclusion

The team is very good at dealing with balance teams and offensive teams, and I would say it's about even with defensive matchups. This team can create some very good mindgames for your opponent, and it pretty much defines my high risk, high reward playstyle. The mon that is most irritating to this team is Celesteela, who requires the entire team to take down. It can be somewhat hard even in a 4 on 2 situation, so suggestions on beating the wall of walls would be greatly appreciated. This team fares well against Toxapex as well, seeing as how it is also a pretty popular pivot for many teams. I hope you guys enjoy, and by all means give this team a try! Again, suggestions are greatly appreciated, and I hope all of you out there have a wonderful day!

Side Note: sorry if the image of Lopunny won't load, I used the RMT generator but it would not load the image in preview for some reason.

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Return

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Toxic

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Toxic
- Protect
- Spikes

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Sucker Punch

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Trick
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 100 HP / 212 SpA / 196 Spe
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Ancient Power
- Aura Sphere
- Defog

Hey this is a very interesting team. First of all I see a massive weakness to fighting types and you only real switch in being togekiss. This makes threats like opposing Mega Lopunny or Mega Medicham easily punch wholes through your team with stab high jump kick.

First of all I would suggest running defensive Landorus-T over ferrothorn as he can deal with the likes of medicham or lopunny and get off an intimidate. He can also be your stealth rock user over smeargle, who will most likely be a suicide sticky web lead.

Secondly I would run latios > togekiss as is a faster defogger and can switch into a lot of threats your team is currently weak too, and it hard with stab draco metoer.

Hey this is a very interesting team. First of all I see a massive weakness to fighting types and you only real switch in being togekiss. This makes threats like opposing Mega Lopunny or Mega Medicham easily punch wholes through your team with stab high jump kick.

First of all I would suggest running defensive Landorus-T over ferrothorn as he can deal with the likes of medicham or lopunny and get off an intimidate. He can also be your stealth rock user over smeargle, who will most likely be a suicide sticky web lead.

Secondly I would run latios > togekiss as is a faster defogger and can switch into a lot of threats your team is currently weak too, and it hard with stab draco metoer.
Lando is actually a great idea, I'll run an offensive Z set over Smeargle, thanks! Latios is also a great idea, thank you kindly for the input!

Very cool team, I love playing with bulky but surprisingly offensive teams such as this one.

That being said, you don't have a great answer to Mega Lopunny/Medicham, and Landorus-T is a very dangerous check to use due to the chance that your opponent predicts the switch and clicks ice punch.

Defensive Mew gives your team another solid answer to Dragons, Landorus-T, and Mega Medicham/Lopunny. This change also allows you to use Nasty Plot/Roost on Togekiss since this Mew set runs defog, helping you sweep due to the fact that you don't need to take unnecessary damage trying to get a defog off.

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled
- Defog

Last edited:
I recommend changing some EVs and moves on your team. Firstly would be Ferrothorn. The set you're running gets shutdown by Magic Bounce users and Taunters. I recommend this set to better help out your team:

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Knock Off

I agree with running Z Landorus-Therian. He better checks bulkier grass types like Tangrowth and Mega Venusaur.
Lastly changing Togekiss to defensive Mew. Use the set Hobojoe28 suggested, it better helps you with Zygarde and Mega Medicham.
Hope these changes helped you.​

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)