Digimon discussion thread BEWARE SPOILERS

RODAN

Banned deucer.
also food for thought, leomon died in the real world this time

so hes really dead boys pack it up

Isn't this supposed to be 6 movies though, or has that changed? I can't see any announcement for when the supposed next three are supposed to come out.
apparently it's supposed to be 24 episodes, so assuming they keep up with the four-part movie trend, it'll be four more movies

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
apparently it's supposed to be 24 episodes, so assuming they keep up with the four-part movie trend, it'll be four more movies
Yeah, I just wonder when we're going to get an actual announcement of it though because right now only part 3 has a release date and that's all the way in September. I have a feeling we might be going all the way into 2018 before it's over.

Yeah, I just wonder when we're going to get an actual announcement of it though because right now only part 3 has a release date and that's all the way in September. I have a feeling we might be going all the way into 2018 before it's over.
By that time, the fanbase may've grown sick of all things Adventure-related. If they don't step things up and deliver an amazing episode, tri will remain inferior to Tamers and Savers in my book. I know they're capable of pretty great things, I just want to see some cool things executed. The premise of the next episode, especially its focus on Koshiro and Takeru, greatly interests me, as they're two of my favorites from the original cast and we may see some extra things on Meikuumon as well.

I guess it's just a matter of waiting, even if it's still 4.5 more months away. Toei, why?

Apparently, the Digimon Universe project has been confirmed. It's called Digimon Universe App Monsters, and intends on marketing itself toward children, running concurrent with the Adventure tri. movies.

Welp, Meicrackmon has fully revealed itself and is available in -next 0rder-'s new patch/DLC/whatever. It looks pretty damn cool IMO. Thanks to Wikimon, I've been able to confirm that is indeed a Perfect-level and what Meikuumon underwent at the end of the second movie would likely be a Mode Change instead.

Some speculation here: Meikuumon may have two Perfects depending on which Mode it's in, so chances are this is only one of two Perfects for it. There was also a draconic silhouette depicted on some recent material, and comments have been floating around on whether that could be Meikuumon's Ultimate form, as an evil counterpart of sorts to Holydramon. Interestingly enough, this progression would be from Beast to Dragon, much like what DORUmon undergoes as it evolves (assuming DORUgoramon as the Ultimate here).

Anyway, that's all I gotta say for now. Hope Confession will deliver, as Determination was kind of a bore in retrospect.

Hulavuta

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Kyuzeth I'm sure this is entirely subjective but I really like that this series is very slow-paced and character focused. This series always seemed to me to be aimed towards the older fans, and not meant to be standalone in any sense. It seemed like a series that grew up alongside its audience, and is aimed at people who were kids when they first watched Digimon, but are now adults and can appreciate a slower pace and long-form storytelling, and wanna see where these characters are because they've grown up right alongside them. As a college student in that crossroads of life myself, I find the themes of this story about growing up, deciding what kind of person you are going to be, what that means for your friendships, etc. to be very relatable and just very touching.

I would honestly be really disappointed if the show was something like Dragon Ball Super, which I do genuinely enjoy watching for what it is, but is just fanservice and fanfiction plots without much depth (whereas the original Dragon Ball Z was deceptively full of great character development and powerful themes). I know the other Digimon series always did a fantastic job at balancing action/plot and character development, and I can understand wanting more action and more Digimon fights because the name of the show is Digimon, but we are still always going to have those 6 other series (and the new one that's coming up) that use the classic Digimon formula. So I don't mind them doing something new and more adult with this series.

It's hard to get a good grasp on the opinions of the Digimon fanbase as a whole, considering it's so small these days, but it seems to be getting good reviews according to Wikipedia. I recently watched the trailer for the third film and the people in the comments seemed to be excited too. I'm in no way arguing that this means that it is good, I'm just responding to your speculation that people might lose interest over time. I think the history of cinema has shown us that long waits do more to build up hype than to kill it. This is just a few months, but most blockbusters take 2 or 3 years to get a sequel, just look at Star Wars, Marvel movies, etc., those movies just get bigger and bigger each time. I'm still hyped for the sequel to Godzilla that won't come out until I'm like in grad school or something, even though the original came out while I was still in high school. Sorry, I'm rambling.

Either way, I think you will get what you're looking for in the next film (still, it REALLY depends on whether or not it is still going to be 6 films or just the 3). The story has been building to a lot of things. When I re-watched it a few weeks ago I noticed quite a few things I didn't notice the first time, like the 02 Digidestined getting wiped out at the beginning (by Alphamon it seems), Huckmon showing up here and there, and Maki saying "the precious one", when only Alphamon was on the screen and Meikoomon wasn't. Although I don't know if that means she was really referring to Alphamon, maybe she was talking about Meikoomon but Alphamon was just covering her up. But Alphamon is always an important character wherever he shows up and he only even exists in times of great crisis, so putting him at the end of the first movie just gives me so much hope for escalation. The last time he showed up, in Digimon X-Evolution (which is an excellent movie, by the way), it was to save the entire Digital World and the near genocide of almost every Digimon. So putting him at the end of the first movie just gives me so much hope and excitement for escalation.

Mysteries like Ken being back and Huckmon running around are interesting too. We know really nothing about Huckmon in this story so far, but in the lore, his Mega/Ultimate form is Jesmon and he is a Royal Knight. Considering Alphamon has already appeared too, maybe we'll see more of the Royal Knights which honestly really excites me too, because in all of their appearances they've always had this moral dilemma that I've always found fascinating.

Yeah, I am rambling again, sorry lol. My main point is that I think if you have a paradigm shift to understand that it's not trying to be like the other series, and take it for what it is, you can see there is a lot of stuff to appreciate in this story. I don't think it's bad by any means even if it's way different from the traditional Digimon formula. That's just my opinion though.

Kyuzeth I'm sure this is entirely subjective but I really like that this series is very slow-paced and character focused. This series always seemed to me to be aimed towards the older fans, and not meant to be standalone in any sense. It seemed like a series that grew up alongside its audience, and is aimed at people who were kids when they first watched Digimon, but are now adults and can appreciate a slower pace and long-form storytelling, and wanna see where these characters are because they've grown up right alongside them. As a college student in that crossroads of life myself, I find the themes of this story about growing up, deciding what kind of person you are going to be, what that means for your friendships, etc. to be very relatable and just very touching.

I would honestly be really disappointed if the show was something like Dragon Ball Super, which I do genuinely enjoy watching for what it is, but is just fanservice and fanfiction plots without much depth (whereas the original Dragon Ball Z was deceptively full of great character development and powerful themes). I know the other Digimon series always did a fantastic job at balancing action/plot and character development, and I can understand wanting more action and more Digimon fights because the name of the show is Digimon, but we are still always going to have those 6 other series (and the new one that's coming up) that use the classic Digimon formula. So I don't mind them doing something new and more adult with this series.

It's hard to get a good grasp on the opinions of the Digimon fanbase as a whole, considering it's so small these days, but it seems to be getting good reviews according to Wikipedia. I recently watched the trailer for the third film and the people in the comments seemed to be excited too. I'm in no way arguing that this means that it is good, I'm just responding to your speculation that people might lose interest over time. I think the history of cinema has shown us that long waits do more to build up hype than to kill it. This is just a few months, but most blockbusters take 2 or 3 years to get a sequel, just look at Star Wars, Marvel movies, etc., those movies just get bigger and bigger each time. I'm still hyped for the sequel to Godzilla that won't come out until I'm like in grad school or something, even though the original came out while I was still in high school. Sorry, I'm rambling.

Either way, I think you will get what you're looking for in the next film (still, it REALLY depends on whether or not it is still going to be 6 films or just the 3). The story has been building to a lot of things. When I re-watched it a few weeks ago I noticed quite a few things I didn't notice the first time, like the 02 Digidestined getting wiped out at the beginning (by Alphamon it seems), Huckmon showing up here and there, and Maki saying "the precious one", when only Alphamon was on the screen and Meikoomon wasn't. Although I don't know if that means she was really referring to Alphamon, maybe she was talking about Meikoomon but Alphamon was just covering her up. But Alphamon is always an important character wherever he shows up and he only even exists in times of great crisis, so putting him at the end of the first movie just gives me so much hope for escalation. The last time he showed up, in Digimon X-Evolution (which is an excellent movie, by the way), it was to save the entire Digital World and the near genocide of almost every Digimon. So putting him at the end of the first movie just gives me so much hope and excitement for escalation.

Mysteries like Ken being back and Huckmon running around are interesting too. We know really nothing about Huckmon in this story so far, but in the lore, his Mega/Ultimate form is Jesmon and he is a Royal Knight. Considering Alphamon has already appeared too, maybe we'll see more of the Royal Knights which honestly really excites me too, because in all of their appearances they've always had this moral dilemma that I've always found fascinating.

Yeah, I am rambling again, sorry lol. My main point is that I think if you have a paradigm shift to understand that it's not trying to be like the other series, and take it for what it is, you can see there is a lot of stuff to appreciate in this story. I don't think it's bad by any means even if it's way different from the traditional Digimon formula. That's just my opinion though.
Those are some really interesting points you've raised! As a fellow college student, I can definitely identify with what you've posted, trust me. Anyway, since I've enjoyed reading your ramblings, here's some of my own (if you're interested in some theories and opinions thrown into the mix):

I definitely liked the first movie, especially the last episode, let me just start off with that. Alphamon presenting itself as an antagonist by presumably laying the smackdown on the 02 Chosen and then fighting its opposite Omegamon at the end of Reunion definitely raises a lot of possible questions. My personal theory is that Alphamon may be a protagonist working by himself, attempting to wipe out Meikuumon to protect the Chose. Considering Meikuumon's mode change and alignment shift, as well as Maki's comments on Meikuumon being responsible for the distortions AND her evolution into Meicrackmon, whose very name may imply trouble, I do believe this to be a sensible theory (not trying to toot my own horn here, just providing extra arguments for backup).

Continuing on with Alphamon, he's indeed the leader of the Royal Knights for a good reason. I've watched X-Evolution, by the way, and it's my favorite of all specials! Its opening theme also ranks as my absolute favorite, even among the many great songs in the series. Anyway, on to the real point: The Chosen decided to fight Alphamon because Meiko was, of course, their new friend, so of course they'd want to protect their fellow Chosen. They couldn't have known about Meikuumon being a threat at the time, while Alphamon of course did know, and presumably, so does Hackmon.

Speaking of which, I'll say Hackmon's appearance is what intrigues me the most. Jesmon has been hyped up in some media as the overall strongest Royal Knight, and Hackmon is even stated to be capable of fighting Perfects despite being a Child-level, so there's a chance we'll see Meicrackmon VS. Hackmon and see them being evenly matched.

I'm definitely excited for Confession, I'll say that much. Koshiro being one of the focal characters is something I'm greatly looking forward to, as he is one of my favorites of the Adventure cast. Herakle Kabuterimon's appearance only makes things better for me, personally.

Hulavuta

I think if the Royal Knights are coming into this, the fact that we saw Omegamon at the end of the first movie and Imperialdramon at the end of the second could mean that Imperialdramon Paladin Mode might be coming into play eventually, maybe at some point where they rescue the 02 chosen (remember what I said about escalation). And he is the founder of the Royal Knights that supposedly went away after they were formed, so maybe his appearance will tie into some Royal Knight storyline. It wouldn't be the same exact Imperialdramon Paladin Mode but I dunno, I'm just playing connect the dots here with Royal Knights.

In other breaking news, it looks like there has finally been an announcement of a dub (I think). From Jeff Nimoy's Facebook page, which has very few likes but seems to be real (there are photos posted to it). His Twitter has been talking about it too, and according to WithTheWill.net they contacted him to confirm it via his email so I think it's safe to assume it's real.

I wonder how much of the original cast they'll be able to get, considering the last time they dubbed something for Adventure was over 10 years ago. I have heard that Joshua Seth would be interested in returning to voice Tai but beyond that I haven't heard any rumors.

I think I'm most curious just how they will actually direct the dub, considering how different the dubbing process has gotten since the first Adventure dub in the 90s. I'm sure we all have fond memories of watching the original English dub as kids, but when you look back on it it's pretty clear that it was really Americanized to be a Saturday morning cartoon, with a completely new soundtrack and a lot of terrible puns and whatnot. Apparently Saban (I assume Saban has the rights still) did commission a new soundtrack for Digimon Fusion so maybe we can expect the same here (which is a shame). I am honestly very curious how they will do it; Adventure and 02 did kind of lend themselves better to be turned into Saturday morning cartoons, but I don't see how they can do it with tri. It is much slower paced and is a more adult tone and hopefully they'll be able to keep that in the dub or it'll just be a mess. I have really no idea though, we'll just have to wait and see. Where we see it will probably have a big effect on how the dub is like as well; if it's on Nickelodeon like Fusion it'll probably be more kid-friendly but if it's direct to video or something maybe it'll be more faithful. No information on that right now though, it seems.

It is apparently already being produced as With The Will says Jeff has already done some recording, so I expect we'll see it soon.

UPDATE: Looks like Toei Animation is handling the Dub on their own, so hopefully we don't have to worry about all the stuff I said earlier. The cast is mostly going to be recast. And it's actually getting a one day theatrical release in about 300 US theaters! Only one day (September 15th) and in only 300 theaters means it'll probably be hard to find. I live in Orlando though, which is hopefully a top 300 major city in the US, so hopefully I'll be able to make it. Sounds pretty exciting!

Last edited:

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
despite some moments of toei.jpg quality issues, i have to say strongest part yet

ep 3 made me cry like a fucking bitch
Thanks for the post or I would have never known it came out already!!! WTH INDEED such a tear jerker !!!

Also I did not realise there's a part 4 waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat ugh yet another long wait ;o;

Hulavuta

Watched this with kamikaze last night and wow. Despite being so long and having so much happen, I think there's so little to say. But I was pretty blown away, it will take me a few days to process it.

I thought it was interesting that they put a 5th episode this time, especially when episode 4 had a cliffhanger to end on. But man, I sort of wish they hadn't because ep 5 ends on an even greater cliffhanger. Awesome to finally see Jesmon in anime form, but why was he fighting Alphamon? The infection should be gone now, so I wouldn't say either one is infected. Were they just sparring or something? I heard a theory that Hackmon/Jesmon was Gennai's partner (and Gennai was impersonating Ken, what.). Is Homeostasis supposed to be Yggdrasil?

Really can't wait for part 4. The suspense pains me so much.

The third movie made Tamers look tame. The loss of the Chosen Digimon's memories reminded me of a later Savers episode, which depicted the main DATS characters losing their memories. Agumon 2006, Gaomon, and Lalamon made them remember the conflict with Kurata after a bit of a struggle.

Also, I like how Taichi and the others are depicted as developed characters, rather than developing.

Hulavuta

Alright, so I've taken some time to think about it, and now it's theory time!

When it comes to Hackmon/Jesmon, we know he's a Royal Knight in the lore, but we need to throw that out as it hasn't yet been established in this continuity specifically. I think most likely he will end up becoming a Royal Knight, but my prediction is he is not one yet. I believe he is Gennai's partner Digimon, and that is who he has been communicating with and spying for. I'm not very good at recognizing Japanese voice acting but I believe that is who he was talking to.

As I mentioned before, in part 1, there was something interesting I only noticed on rewatch during the scene where Alphamon appears and tries to grab Meicoomon. Maki says "the precious one" and I assumed the first time that she was talking about Meicoomon, but during that shot she is staring at a security camera and only Alphamon is on the screen. I think that both Alphamon and Meicoomon are important to whatever is going on. If we assume Jesmon is on the side of Gennai, who we now know is in league with Maki who already considers Alphamon to be "precious", then Jesmon was probably fighting him to try to capture him or something. It could turn out that Alphamon is an antagonist, but I don't think that's the case, based on how he helped the DigiDestined kids with the Kuwagamon. Not really ever directly stated in the lore, but Alphamon always seems to be somewhat of an incorruptible spirit to me. I don't buy that Gennai could be a bad guy, and I still think Maki is a good guy but an extremist, so I'm really interested to see what happens.

In the poster for part 4, there's a Machinedramon. I have no idea what this could mean, since we're not really totally clear on if the reboot is a literal going back in time or just restoring the state of the digital world to how it was in the past. If it's the former, some people are saying the Dark Masters have returned, but I don't think that's going to happen. It would kind of be pointless, and honestly we've power creeped to a point where they're not even that tough anymore. Like Jesmon or Alphamon could one-shot all of the Dark Masters. Heard another theory that this could lead to Milleniumon (Machinedramon is one part of him), which would be interesting. The problem is that Milleniumon really screws with the continuity as the same Milleniumon is part of both the Adventure and Tamers canon, and I'm pretty sure he has already been defeated (never finished the games). Honestly, I really don't know what this could mean at all. When the trailer hits, maybe it'll shed some light on it.

But I feel pretty confident about the first theory.

I'm not sure if we can discuss Appmon, but I have to say that it reminds me more of Tamers than Frontier or Xros Wars, which I love. It starts off slow like Tamers, but the story isn't that bad so far. It might become darker after ten to twelve episodes. I don't mind the "friendly" look of the lower-level Appmon, even though I appreciated the "hostile" appearance of the older Digimon designs.

Hulavuta

I'm not sure if we can discuss Appmon, but I have to say that it reminds me more of Tamers than Frontier or Xros Wars, which I love. It starts off slow like Tamers, but the story isn't that bad so far. It might become darker after ten to twelve episodes. I don't mind the "friendly" look of the lower-level Appmon, even though I appreciated the "hostile" appearance of the older Digimon designs.
I'm not a mod of this section, but I think it's fine to talk about.

I generally dislike the first few episodes of a series, 'cause it's just the same old setting up the world and characters that ends up being extremely tedious. I'm interested in seeing the show though, and following it as it goes on. I haven't been able to find it subtitled anywhere, from what I know you can only watch it in raw Japanese and just figure out what's going on. Have you been watching fansubs or are there real subs out now? (Just to be careful though, I don't think you're allowed to link unlicensed stuff here.)

Morfent

formerly known as clifford the big red pawg
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Has anyone been watching Digimon Universe? It's pretty trash so far, I wouldn't recommend it. Maybe it'll get better towards the latter half of the show but I'm not holding my hopes up, since so far it's about as bad as Digimon Hunter.

Edit: I can't read

Has anyone been watching Digimon Universe? It's pretty trash so far, I wouldn't recommend it. Maybe it'll get better towards the latter half of the show but I'm not holding my hopes up, since so far it's about as bad as Digimon Hunter.

Edit: I can't read
Wait, there's finally subs of Appli Monsters?

Appli Monsters has become pretty good as of Episode 19, and it reminds me more of Tamers than any of the previous series. When this is over, I hope for a premise most similar to Savers.

Haru seems like an expy to Takato due to his timid demeanor and interest in books, while both Eri and Astra can be compared to Ruki: Eri had a hard time paying attention to Dokamon at first, while Astra just wants to be appreciated for what he does with AppTube. Musimon's line seems to be the weakest of the main four, but Buddy Appmon are pretty damn strong at the Super, Extreme, and God levels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)