Walrus do u like older music von (A Walrus) - Won by Morgan

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
It's Friday somewhere

I'm your host, vonFiedler. Welcome to Walrus, the game where everything is subjective and the points don't matter.

Send me a song to fit each categories. Send me the best song you can think of that probably also panders at the same time. You can golf, but think about how clever that actually is, and how little I've actually done it, and then just settle on sending a bad song to the category specifically for that.

#1 The First 30 (impress on open)
Submit a song that starts with a bang! It should have a unique start or be immediately catchy.
Grading: 7 points for quality of open. 3 points for quality of song.
Pat Benatar - Shadows of the Night
Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Two Tribes

#2 Uncharted
Submit a single from a successful artist that failed to chart on the US Hot 100. If you wiki an artist's discography, this is represented as a dash. This is not for songs that weren't published as singles.
Erasure - The Circus
Cheap Trick - Mighty Wings

#3 The Other Solo
Submit a song by an artist who went solo. Someone who used to be part of a band, but now makes music specifically under their name.
Don Henley - All She Wants to Do is Dance
Paul Stanley - Live to Win

#4 Songs by bands you don't like
Submit a song that you enjoy, even though it's from an act you despise.
Cher - If I could Turn Back Time
Pussycat Dolls - I Hate This Part

#5 Storyteller
All songs might tell a story, but submit a song that tells a particularily good one. For this category, I'll be looking up the lyrics as well for a complete understanding.
Grading: 6 points for a good story. 4 points for a good song.
Harry Chapin - Better Place to Be
Heart - All I Want to Do is Make Love to You

#6 Worst songs
In this category, everyone gets to golf. Submit some truly terrible songs. Scoring preference will go to the awesomely bad over mediocre club trash.
Brokencide - Freaxx
IceJJFish - On the Floor

#7 Getting Weird With It
Sometimes there's a fine line between being unique enough to be catchy and going boldly outside the mainstream. Submit a song that is weird. It doesn't have to be unpopular or by an obscure bad, but its sound should be abnormal.
Godley & Creme - Sandwhiches of You
T. Rex - Deborah

#8 90s to Now
I generally like music from the 60-80s, but I'd love to like new music. I'm going to list EVERYTHING I like from the 90s to now. As a song detective, your job is to submit something you think I would like without using any of the bands listed (you may use the bands for other categories, but not specific songs). No primarily 80s acts that still had hits in the 90s, please.

#9 Piano Song
Simply submit a song with prominent piano.
Billy Joel - The Piano Man
Bruce Hornsby - Spider Fingers

#10 Politics
Submit a song that talks about a political topic.
Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young - Ohio
Creedance Clearwater Revival - Fortunate Son

#11 and Religion
Submit a song about religion. This doesn't have to be confined to Christian music (which I don't think highly of anyway) or to any specific religion.
David Bowie - Somebody Up There
Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus

#12 The Final Boss
You're hosting a tabletop game of Pathfinder, Dungeons & Dragons or whatever. Your players just got to the final boss fight. What epic song do you put on to enhance the mood? (Does not have to video game or instrumental music)
Asia - Time Again
Golden Earring - Twilight Zone

About Me
I'm the guy who likes 1965-1980. My favorite genres are New Wave, Glam Rock, and Psychadelic Rock. I have nothing against slower music or long songs, because I am not a tool.

Here are 10 of my favorite bands. Don't submit their songs!
I also included WHY I like these bands, since so many times people list bands and I'm like, I don't know anything about them or how this helps me pander. While I won't give bonus points for write-ups, succinctly explaining why you think I'd like a song may give me a more open mind to it.

Erasure
Really gay synthpop band. There's just something really audacious and fun about their style.
The Police
Proto ska new wave band that made nothing but secretly subversive songs.
Duran Duran
New wave band with most talented song writers ever. Makers of fucking poetry. Combine artistic vision and technical talent (as seen when the band split into two bands that each had only one of these things).
Kiss
Glam rock super showmen. They just have a really fun, unique sound, and weren't afraid to make all different kinds of music and to experiment.
Cyndi Lauper
I love 80s girl pop, but Cyndi Lauper has the best oeuvre of songs and the best character as a person. She's basically Street Fighter's R. Mika, too.
Depeche Mode
A band I recently found and was mad that nobody told me they'd be a favorite. They have a really dark sound with contemplative lyrics by synth pop standards.
ELO
It's sort of weird that this is the band that everyone on smogon lists as a favorite, but the sheer amount of great and varied songs they made has let them really outgrow their original reputation as pop rock. This is what comes to mind when I think of art bands.
Prince
Forget the king, give me the prince of pop. This guy's lesser known songs from the 70s had a crazy sound way ahead of their time. When he's not making some of the best pop music, he's making some really soulful shit.
David Bowie
The chameleon. To accurately describe what he brings to table, you'd need to describe his over 10 different identities. The single greatest music artist that ever lived and the only celebrities I ever cried over the death of.
Don Henley (& The Eagles)
Odd distinction of being a drummer and a frontman. Don Henley wrote many songs for the Eagles and solo and not a single one of them wasn't about how the American dream is dead.

If you're not that familiar who older music, go out looking until you find stuff you like. Don't be lazy and submit songs by these super well known bands or you will get a 0.

AC/DC
Creedance Clearwater Revival
Fleetwood Mac
The Doors
Queen
The Beatles
Michael Jackson
Pink Floyd

Deadline is Thursday, the 31st

Last edited:

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Nobody has to change their submissions but for Category 1 it should be pointed at that the category isn't for songs that start quickly. It's for distinct openings. Those who sent songs that starts with the main riff and just get into it aren't going to do well, it's almost the opposite of what I'm looking for... I realize my post was misleading but if all I'm judging is a 5 second riff, I can judge it fairly, but there are better entries that have been submitted

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
30th
0.5 Points
Ullar

https://soundcloud.com/gyrotron/extreme-soundclown-megamix-iv

Nope. Nope. Nope. While I can identify a difference between the first minute and the rest of the song, both segments totally suck.

Can a song like this be done well? Probably. This is insufferable. Having Sheldon Cooper and Naruto on the cover art doesn't make me feel like it was meant to be serious. Is Ullar golfing? I'm honestly not sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)