Metagame Effective Creative, and Underrated Sets

Akir

A true villain!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Approved by Megazard Anty
Effective Creative, & Underrated Sets
(DO NOT POST BAD GIMMICKS!!!)

Standard and common sets are generally effective. After all, that's why they're common and standard. But sometimes a less-common set can be effective. In fact, brand-new sets can be quite effective as well. This thread is for new and creative movesets that can be quite effective, as well as old movesets that have fallen out of favor but have become quite effective in the PU metagame.

What is a new and creative, good moveset?
  • It successfully pulls off a role, and is not strictly outclassed by others.
  • It takes advantage of metagame trends.
  • It has had some success. Post replays / logs to strengthen your case.

Electrode @ Life Orb
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This Electrode is actually incredibly threatening because of the way it breaks down pretty much any answer to Electric-types as your opponent switches them in to take a predicted Volt Switch. For example, Electrode can Toxic Stunfisk on the switch, prevent SR via Taunt, and then do the same thing with HP Ice on the switch next time it comes in; Taunt and Toxic prevents Chinchou from recovering the HP lost from Toxic with Rest; Electrode hits bulky Grass-types like Gogoat on the switch with Toxic and then uses HP Ice on future turns; it prevents Roselia from using Spikes or Synthesis; it prevents Audino from using either Wish or Heal Bell to support its teammates; it stops Clefairy from either setting up SR or with Calm Mind; it breaks down Raichu and Zebstrika by hitting them with a Toxic on the switch, etc.

Building with this set is interesting too. When you remove Chinchou, suddenly Swanna, offensive Pelipper, Regice, Zebstrika, Raichu, Electabuzz, Rotom-S, Floatzel, and Rotom-F all become much more threatening. A Zebstrika that's been taken down to 37% by LO recoil, Electrode's Toxic, and SR damage (surprisingly easy to do) suddenly loses its ability to check physically oriented LO Floatzel because of Aqua Jet. Whittling down Stunfisk with a combination of Toxic and Hidden Power Ice opens up the way for Pokemon like Pawniard, Mawile, and Monferno to sweep late-game. This basically fits well on either Offense (especially with Golem as your SR user - with Golem + Electrode, you have a Chatot answer, a Volt Switch stop, a Normal resist and two Flying resists, and SR -with the ability to pressure Defog users via BoltBeam coverage- all in 2 slots) or on Balance (especially with Swanna as your Defogger).

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-405113301
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-405113301

What is an underrated, good moveset?
  • It is an existing set that for whatever reason isn't common.
  • Its use is meant to prey on specific facets of the metagame.
  • It might be able to surprise and demolish Pokemon that normally counter the usual sets, but does not become a gimmick in order to do so.

Vibrava @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature

- U-Turn
- Roost
- Defog
- Earthquake

This isn't exactly a new set, but this was recently made the standard after some discussion I sparked in Discord a few weeks ago. So, you could say this is a PSA to use physically defensive Vibrava rather than its specially defensive counterpart.

If you really think about it, physically defensive Vibrava walls a larger portion of the current meta than the old standard does. While specially defensive Vibrava can address threats like Grumpig, Kadabra, and NP Ninetales more effectively, an Impish nature with maximum investment in Defense will let it check or counter the following: Golem (even at +2, Stone Edge can't 2HKO Vibrava), Rapidash (especially Drill Run Rapidash), Metang, Stunfisk, RP Relicanth, Crustle, Eviolite Adamant Monferno (maximum Defense Vibrava lives a +2 CC from Adamant Eviolite variants), and Camerupt. It also checks Muk lacking Ice Punch (with CB Gunk Shot only dealing 38% maximum), as well as Arbok before either of these Poison-types have setup with Curse or Coil, respectively.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-425931965

If you post a bad gimmick, your post will be deleted and infracted.
NO EXCEPTIONS.

What are some things that constitute a bad gimmick?
  • Using a Pokemon that has no business being used in PU, for the sake of using it in PU.
  • Movesets that are inferior and ineffective compared to existing movesets, or use an obscure move for the sake of hitting an even more obscure check or counter.
  • Movesets that are utterly impractical or are horribly outclassed by another Pokemon. Pokemon such as Beautifly may seem cool, but there is no reason to use it over Lilligant or Butterfree.

Last edited:

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus

Mesprit @ Normalium Z
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Hyper Beam
- Psychic

Z Hyper Beam Mesprit is one of the best Skuntank lures in the tier and has been featured in this week's PUPL and not open via me (no replays available unfortunately). Other than that, the set is standard rocker. Z Beam can also be used to nuke other stuff if Psychic won't do the job. Overall cool set that should be used more.

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This thread is my child, thanks for stealing it from me akir ;_;

Eevee @ Eevium Z
Ability: Adaptability
Timid Nature
- Last Resort
- Stored Power
- Hyper Voice
- Substitute

I've talked about this a lot, but this thing is literally one of my favourite mons to use! It's surprisingly powerful at +2 due to it having a base 180 and 220 power move in Hyper Voice and Stored Power, respectively. Substitute allows it to set up on weaker opposing mons and use status spreaders as basically fodder. However does struggle because of how common things like Scarf Primeape are. It also is hard walled by Sableye which sucks I guess. Still a fun mon though.

Miltank (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Milk Drink

This is basically the standard set for Miltank, however with a neat twist. I find that when people see one type of Status on Miltank they assume the other move is an offensive one such as Seismic Toss or Body Slam, meaning if they see Thunder Wave they might try to switch something like Golurk in, which allows for a free Toxic versus it. Standard EVs and enough to creep Positive Base 60's (so 241) which is always nice. Dibs showcased this set in PU Open quite nicely so it must be good!

Munchlax @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Fire Punch
- Toxic
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

This is a cute lure set I love to use versus certain teams. A lot of the time Munchlax brings in Ghost, Rock and Steel-types, which are usually able to wall it completely; however this set is here to basically screw with those things that abuse the Curse Body Slam set. It is a less consistent set I will admit, and even I have situations where I kinda wished I was the standard set.

Primeape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake / Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Toxic

This is a set that I think should actually be used more, because of how lenient Primeape is with its fourth moveslot, not really requiring much extra coverage from the first three moves. Toxic basically cripples every would-be switch-in, including things like Gourgeist-XL, Sableye and Mesprit, whilst still giving it enough utility to work on things like Hyper Offense and Bulky Offense. Really good set that's a great lure in my opinion.

That's all from me for now, hope you enjoyed haha :3 Cya guys n_n

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
115.png

Kangaskhan @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- Return
- Sucker Punch
- Facade

Kanga is a really good mon, but it also has fairly basic counters in physically bulky things like Gastrodon and Palossand and Sableye. It's also the kind of mon that you always, always status because why wouldn't you? Status is the way all of its counters wear it down. This set blows away pretty much any bulky cores though, +1 STAB silk scarf facade is just ridiculous. It's not quite Zangoose levels, but it's bulkier and unexpected which makes it absolutely worth using imo. Plus it gets a ton off of spikes, and people are probably going to be expecting fake out. So if you want to break all those annoying status spammers, Kanga does it magnificently.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-636244200 vs JIHAD
419.png

Floatzel @ Waterium Z / Normalium Z
Ability: Water Veil
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Return

This thing just kinda wins games on its own. Accept the Ferroseed/Gourgeist weakness and use Aqua Jet please, beating out several scarfers but mostly Primeape at +2 with minimal chip (or predicting U-Turn hehe) is absolutely worth it. Other than that this should be pretty obvious, it's just that Floatzel really doesn't see enough usage for how absolutely terrifying it is in the right circumstances.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-636234282 also vs JIHAD

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Back to share more I guess

Kabutops @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet / Stone Edge

So I originally made this set as a meme, surprise surprise, however I quickly found out how useful it could be. It allowed me to not only set up rocks but also potentially cripple common switch-ins to the Swords Dance and Choice Scarf sets with Toxic (things like Poliwrath and Cradily), along with having Weak Armour and Sash to possibly revenge kill something later on. The last slot in my opinion is a toss up between Aqua Jet and Stone Edge, and I change it around a lot. It's also nice that Kabutops has a good match-up versus most other Stealth Rockers too.

Mesprit @ Expert Belt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic
- Fire Punch

I originally was going to use this for PUPL, however I couldn't really find a team I wanted to properly use it on, so instead decided to post this monster set here. It's basically the biggest lure compression possible. Expert Belt allows you to basically bluff Choice Specs on a Super Effective hit. Hidden Power Ground hits and 2hkos Skuntank, Fire Punch 2hkos Ferroseed and Dazzling Gleam blows other Dark-types back; especially Guzzlord. The only issue is how weak it is, because it's not using a choice item or a boosting move like Calm Mind.

I'll probably post more after I've used some that I've yet to show off

Shiinotic @ Leftovers / Psychium Z
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Spore / Strength Sap
- Dream Eater
- Moonblast

I had this idea when coming up with lures for Weezing that also beat Sableye's. You can Spore it on with switch and Weezing usually thinks it is safe and you can bop it with regular Dream Eater or you can choose to use Psychium Z which can always OHKO Weezing but it's a one time lure.

252+ SpA Shiinotic Dream Eater vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Weezing: 248-292 (74.4 - 87.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

252+ SpA Shiinotic Shattered Psyche (180 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Weezing: 442-522 (132.7 - 156.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

Raichu @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Nasty Plot

Why use Raichu over Alolan-Raichu, you may ask. Well, reason number one is lack of a dark type weakness. You've all probably noticed how effective Skuntank can be. Skuntank can easily trap Alola if it gets a free switch, Not only that, but sucker punch will kill 100% of the time. There are plenty of sucker punch users out in the tier, and even a few shadow sneak ones. To add the icing on the cake, Raichu gets Lightningrod, letting it switch into a volt switch from Lanturn or other pivots.Fightinium z blows past nearly anything at plus 2, and the stab and hp ice get the rest.
252+ Atk Skuntank Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raichu-Alola: 348-410 (133.3 - 157%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Skuntank Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raichu-Alola: 200-236 (76.6 - 90.4%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Skuntank Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raichu: 162-192 (62 - 73.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Black Glasses Liepard Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raichu: 169-201 (64.7 - 77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Carracosta @ Waterium Z
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Grass

Special Shell Smash Carracosta! While it's not as powerful as the physical set and lacks priority, it's a brilliant lure, luring in and taking out the Bulky Grass-types and physical walls that trouble the physical set. This set can either be a lure, or a late game cleaner. Shell Smash is basically Swords Dance, Rock Polish and Nasty Plot in one move. Hydro Pump is the strongest special Water STAB Carracosta has. Ice Beam takes out the bulky Grass types like Grougeist and Torterra. Hidden Power Grass OHKOes Gastrodon at +2, who could otherwise stop Carracosta dead. EVs maximise Speed and power. Waterium Z turns Hydro Pump into a 185 BP Hydro Vortex that critically won't miss - it can also break through Protect. You could run a Life Orb if you've used your Z crystal elsewhere. Still not convinced? Here's some calcs:

+2 252 SpA Carracosta Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Weezing: 352-415 (105.7 - 124.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Carracosta Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gourgeist-Super: 366-432 (97.8 - 115.5%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252 SpA Carracosta Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Qwilfish: 360-424 (108.1 - 127.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Carracosta Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Audino: 354-417 (86.5 - 101.9%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Carracosta Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 208 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Hitmonchan: 274-324 (93.5 - 110.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Iron Fist Hitmonchan Mach Punch vs. -1 0 HP / 4 Def Solid Rock Carracosta: 130-154 (44.9 - 53.2%) -- 35.2% chance to 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Carracosta Hydro Vortex (185 BP) vs. 248 HP / 96 SpD Eviolite Gurdurr: 439-517 (117.6 - 138.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Carracosta Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 12 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 384-454 (114.9 - 135.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Carracosta Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gastrodon: 456-540 (107 - 126.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Ninetales @ Firium Z / Grassium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower / Fire Blast
- Energy Ball / Solar Beam
- Psyshock
- Nasty Plot
So I've yet to see Ninetales on ladder, and with Charizard leaving this just lost another bit of competition for a setup fire-type. However what differentiates it from other special setup sweepers is Psyshock, which lets it beat AV users that it otherwise couldn't touch. Most teams are using Hitmonchan, Lanturn, (and during suspect AV Hariyama), and Regirock as their special switchins/fire-type resists, and Ninetales can severely dent if not take them out at +2. Even Audino gets blown back by a +2 Inferno Overdrive. Choice of item comes down to if you hate rock/water-types enough that you don't want a one-time nuke, and moves sort of follow (I like flamethrower+energy+firium just for reliability).

Ninetales can find opportunities to set up against bulkier teams or pokemon like non-taunt Sableye, Weezing if toxic spikes aren't down, ferroseed, and scald qwilfish. Its bulk is also reasonable, so even if its chipped a bit it lives Kangaskhan's Fake Out+Sucker Punch combo (does a max of ~71%).

Now you've got the downside that this thing can't do much to AV Guzzlord, but if nothing +2 Inferno Overdrive does ~50% to specs Guzzlord which can weaken it enough that it can't come in later in the match. Its also kind of weak without a boost, and 100 speed leaves it behind stuff like Archeops and Lycanroc.

Audino
+2 252 SpA Ninetales Inferno Overdrive (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Audino: 330-388 (80.6 - 94.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Regirock
+2 252 SpA Ninetales Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 200 SpD Regirock: 236-278 (64.8 - 76.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Lanturn
+2 252 SpA Ninetales Energy Ball vs. 128 HP / 252+ SpD Lanturn: 244-288 (57.6 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 SpA Ninetales Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 128 HP / 252+ SpD Lanturn: 514-606 (121.5 - 143.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Solarbeam Bloom Doom)

AV Users
+2 252 SpA Ninetales Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 20 Def Hariyama: 372-438 (86.7 - 102%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

Guzzlord
+2 252 SpA Ninetales Inferno Overdrive (175 BP) vs. 0 HP / 196 SpD Guzzlord: 256-302 (43.6 - 51.4%) -- 8.2% chance to 2HKO

Edit: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pususpecttest-639076564
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pususpecttest-639556642

Last edited:

Gabite @ Eviolite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Stone Edge / Dragon Claw / Roar

Specially defensive Gabite is a reasonable blanket check for many dangerous special attackers that can also use Stealth Rock. It is fairly niche in that it's pretty weak when not hitting supereffective and thus only fits on more defensive teams, but I think it fulfills its niche well. It also finds opportunities to switch in against most Skuntank and most Volt Switch users. However, Gabite completely lacks recovery and is vulnerable to spikes/tspikes/status; without support, it can often only check many threats once or twice.

As for the last move, Stone Edge allows you to hurt Oricorio and Swanna, as well as have a chance against Archeops. Dragon Claw is a more reliable stab, but it doesn't let you beat anything notable except Egg-A and Drampa on the switch and very occasionally Guzzlord. Roar is also usable if you feel like neither of the other two moves are needed, but it doesn't have any specific setup Pokemon to stop (it can be used as a last ditch way to stop Lilligant once, as Gabite survives +1 z-hyper beam, but Gabite cannot otherwise hurt it). Fire Blast can also be run to 2hko specifically Ferroseed at a 62% rate with Stealth Rock. Gentle nature is needed to secure the 2hko (92% without Stealth Rock), but comes at the cost of not checking Skuntank as well.

80 Spe EVs can be run to outspeed neutral Abomasnow and Pawniard, but you can't beat the former even with Stone Edge unless you catch it on the switch, and the latter is uncommon. Furthermore, this detracts notably from your bulk. Conveniently, with 0 Spe EVs, you still outspeed neutral 50s by 1 point.

Common special attackers
252+ SpA Magmortar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Gabite: 66-78 (19.4 - 22.9%)
252+ SpA Magmortar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Gabite: 96-114 (28.2 - 33.5%) -- 35.8% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
0 Atk Gabite Earthquake vs. 64 HP / 0 Def Magmortar: 272-324 (88.5 - 105.5%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Pyroar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Gabite: 81-96 (23.8 - 28.2%)
252 SpA Choice Specs Pyroar Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Gabite: 135-159 (39.7 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
0 Atk Gabite Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Pyroar: 258-306 (82.4 - 97.7%)

+1 252 SpA Oricorio-Ghost Supersonic Skystrike (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Gabite: 256-303 (75.2 - 89.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 SpA Oricorio-Ghost Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Gabite: 153-181 (45 - 53.2%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 SpA Oricorio-Ghost Revelation Dance vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Gabite: 126-148 (37 - 43.5%)
0 Atk Gabite Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Oricorio-Ghost: 176-208 (60.4 - 71.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
> Gabite is not a great switch in to Oricorio-Sensu as you cannot ohko even with Stealth Rock, but it's possible to catch them on the switch, and if they're not running z-hurricane, you can sometimes beat it.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Guzzlord Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Gabite: 121-144 (35.5 - 42.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
0 Atk Gabite Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Guzzlord: 264-312 (44.9 - 53.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
> Gabite is obviously not a good check, as Draco Meteor is the most commonly used move. However, if you are running Dragon Claw, this can work very occasionally.

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Gabite: 212-251 (62.3 - 73.8%)
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Gabite: 259-305 (76.1 - 89.7%)
+2 252 SpA Raichu-Alola Shattered Psyche (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Gabite: 289-342 (85 - 100.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
0 Atk Gabite Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raichu-Alola: 342-404 (131 - 154.7%)
> note that this is z-Psyshock. This set cannot beat z-Psychic.

252 SpA Life Orb Raichu Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Gabite: 182-218 (53.5 - 64.1%)
0 Atk Gabite Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raichu: 320-378 (122.6 - 144.8%)
> You cannot beat +2 HP Ice, but if you double switched, you can surprise people who don't know this set by surviving unboosted HP Ice.

252 SpA Life Orb Swanna Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Gabite: 122-146 (35.8 - 42.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Swanna Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Gabite: 90-107 (26.4 - 31.4%) -- 0.1% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
0 Atk Gabite Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Swanna: 192-228 (65.9 - 78.3%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
> This is guaranteed ohko after one LO recoil and Stealth Rock.

252 SpA Manectric Overheat vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Gabite: 42-50 (12.3 - 14.7%)
0 Atk Gabite Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manectric: 300-354 (106.7 - 125.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

(Other) Common Threats
252+ Atk Skuntank Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Gabite: 54-64 (15.8 - 18.8%)
252+ Atk Skuntank Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Gabite: 94-112 (27.6 - 32.9%)
252+ SpA Skuntank Fire Blast vs. -2 252 HP / 52+ SpD Eviolite Gabite: 80-95 (23.5 - 27.9%)
252+ SpA Skuntank Dark Pulse vs. -2 252 HP / 52+ SpD Eviolite Gabite: 175-207 (51.4 - 60.8%)
0 Atk Gabite Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Skuntank: 272-324 (78.3 - 93.3%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
> the OHKO occurs more frequently on physical Skuntank than calcs show due to Rough Skin if they stay in and attack.

252 Atk Archeops Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Gabite: 180-213 (52.9 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Archeops Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Gabite: 81-96 (23.8 - 28.2%)
0 Atk Gabite Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Archeops: 186-220 (63.9 - 75.6%)
0 Atk Gabite Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Archeops: 111-132 (38.1 - 45.3%)
> Gabite is not a good switch in to Archeops. However, Stone Edge can catch it on the switch, and you are not 2hko'd by the sequence of Archeops Stone Edge into Acro even with Stealth Rock. Additionally, Dragon Claw + Rough Skin is also guaranteed to bring Archeops into Defeatist range.

0 SpA Lanturn Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Gabite: 48-57 (14.1 - 16.7%)
0 SpA Lanturn Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Gabite: 144-172 (42.3 - 50.5%) -- 37.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
0 Atk Gabite Earthquake vs. 128 HP / 128 Def Lanturn: 254-300 (60 - 70.9%)
> Obviously, Lanturn builds vary and getting toxic'd or burned is bad, but you can beat most versions one on one.

+2 252 Atk Lycanroc Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Gabite: 254-299 (74.7 - 87.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
0 Atk Gabite Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lycanroc: 282-332 (96.9 - 114%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Lead Matchups
252+ SpA Mesprit Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Gabite: 96-114 (28.2 - 33.5%) -- 30.6% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Mesprit Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Gabite: 88-105 (25.8 - 30.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Mesprit Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Gabite: 70-84 (20.5 - 24.7%)
252+ SpA Mesprit Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Gabite: 256-304 (75.2 - 89.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
0 Atk Gabite Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mesprit: 76-90 (25.2 - 29.9%) -- 1.1% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
> Note that Ice Beam is not an ohko without specs. You can chip it with Toxic and Rough Skin damage off U-Turn. These calcs, though, are meant to show that you'll be able to get off Stealth Rock without taking too much rather than showing that Gabite can beat Mesprit (which it cannot).

-1 0 Atk Gabite Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Qwilfish: 152-180 (45.6 - 54%) -- 2.7% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
> You don't really beat Qwilfish, but their switch in isn't super free. Also, no z-move variant 2hkos without hazards, while you 2hko back.

edit: fixed formatting mistake. replays when/if I remember.

Last edited:

dibs

double iron bashes
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey, who remembers this thread eh?
Now PUPL and Open are done, I wanted to start spilling ideas I've had through the journey. The first being this cute set:

Bronzor @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Bold Nature
- Psywave
- Toxic
- Reflect
- Rest

The set uses reflect over stealth rocks to improve its match up against pursuit trappers. Although Skuntank commonly carries defog, it pressures them to defog sooner making manoeuvring around pursuit 50/50s much easier. I found the most success from this set on slow semi-stall teams since it makes pivoting against strong physical breakers such as Crabomidable, Ursaring and Stoutland much easier.

The spread is stolen from Many <3

Last edited:

Cacturne @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Spiky Shield
- Energy Ball
- Sucker Punch

Most people seem to agree that Shiftry is for the most part a better Cacturne and that Cacturne's only niche is Spikes, but Cacturne gets another move that Shiftry isn't able to learn in Spiky Shield. Spiky Shield allows Cacturne to grab valuable chip damage on Pokemon such as Primeape and scout for moves like U-turn and Choice locked Pokemon so you can pivot accordingly. This is able to work great in conjunction with Spikes and T-Spikes as they also allow it grab valuable chip damage to put Pokemon in Sucker Punch range.

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I've got a bunch of new sets for you, but I'll share just two for now:

Skuntank @ Assault Vest
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 108 SpD / 148 Spe or 24 HP / 252 Atk / 168 SpD / 64 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab

Skuntank's item has always been variable, with viable options including Black Sludge, Lum Berry, Shuca Berry, Darkinium Z, Firium Z, Choice Band, Black Glasses, and even Safety Goggles for absorbing Lilligant's Sleep Powder. Assault Vest hasn't ever been considered really (until now), but it is actually a solid option for blanket checking all of the setup sweepers that might otherwise lure and KO standard Skuntank, thanks to the Special Defense boost provided by Assault Vest. There are a ton of highly offensive, but frail special attackers like Alolan Raichu, Oricorio-Sensu, Lilligant, Jynx, Haunter, Mr. Mime, Shiftry, Ludicolo, etc. that are Pursuit-trapped or checked more effectively by this bulkier variant.

There are two EV spreads that can be used for AV Skuntank:

1) Enough Speed for positive-natured Abomasnow: 252 Atk / 108 SpD / 148 Spe (241 Speed total, to Abomasnow's 240), or

2) Enough Speed for neutral-natured Abomasnow: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 168 SpD / 64 Spe (220 Speed total, to Abomasnow's 219). Depending on which target you're aiming to Pursuit-trap determines which spread you should use. See the below damage calculations:

+1 252 SpA Lilligant Hyper Beam (Breakneck Blitz) vs. 0 HP / 108 SpD Assault Vest Skuntank: 247-291 (71.1 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Jynx Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 108 SpD Assault Vest Skuntank: 229-271 (65.9 - 78%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Haunter Hidden Power Ground vs. 0 HP / 108 SpD Assault Vest Skuntank: 133-159 (38.3 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 SpA Raichu-Alola Focus Blast (All-Out Pummeling) vs. 0 HP / 108 SpD Assault Vest Skuntank: 284-335 (81.8 - 96.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Mr. Mime Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 108 SpD Assault Vest Skuntank: 242-285 (69.7 - 82.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Mesprit Ice Beam(Subzero Slammer) vs. 0 HP / 108 SpD Assault Vest Skuntank: 209-247 (60.2 - 71.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Ludicolo Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 108 SpD Assault Vest Skuntank in Rain: 257-304 (74 - 87.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Against the bulkier spread provided above:

+1 252 SpA Oricorio-Ghost Hurricane (Supersonic Skystrike) vs. 24 HP / 168 SpD Assault Vest Skuntank: 292-345 (82.7 - 97.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Oricorio-Ghost Hurricane vs. 24 HP / 168 SpD Assault Vest Skuntank: 117-138 (33.1 - 39%) -- 99.9% chance to 3HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Abomasnow Blizzard vs. 24 HP / 168 SpD Assault Vest Skuntank: 160-188 (45.3 - 53.2%) -- 37.1% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Abomasnow Blizzard vs. 24 HP / 168 SpD Assault Vest Skuntank: 146-173 (41.3 - 49%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

(for fun, to show off what the extra bulk does):
252+ SpA Choice Specs Drampa Draco Meteor vs. 24 HP / 168 SpD Assault Vest Skuntank: 282-333 (79.8 - 94.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Exeggutor-Alola Draco Meteor (Devastating Drake) vs. 24 HP / 168 SpD Assault Vest Skuntank: 268-316 (75.9 - 89.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Some replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-651489141
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-649184542

----

Haunter @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball

There's actually nothing in PU that resists this combination of Poison / Ground / Ghost - everything takes at least neutral damage. This is how you would run Haunter right now if you wanted to lure and weaken Skuntank, while still remaining as effective as possible in other match-ups. Basically, set up a Substitute on the turn Skuntank switches in, and force it into 50/50s with Substitute and Hidden Power Ground (either outspeed and 2HKO as your opponent assumes a switch and clicks Pursuit, or Substitute on the Sucker Punch). It 2HKOes uninvested Skuntank, which opens up the way for other special attackers that appreciate its absence.

252 SpA Life Orb Haunter Hidden Power Ground vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Skuntank: 234-276 (67.4 - 79.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

Muk @ Black Sludge
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Venom Drench
- Gunk Shot
- Pain Split

I always feel like that Venom Drench is an Underrated move imo and no one uses it. If you don't know what Venom Drench is Venom Drench lowers the Attack, Special Attack, and Speed stats of all poisoned targets by one stage. If no targets are poisoned, the move will fail. So basically One Toxic then a couple of Venom Drench later. The opponents Pokemon is useless. unless it Switches out.

Krokorok @ Eviolite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 244 HP / 4 Atk / 200 Def / 60 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Although it's defenses are terrible having 45 in both, with the help of Eviolite it will surprise you what it's truly capable of. Having access to intimidate will also effect it being a nice wall to stop physical threats. Just like it's evolution krookodile it gets access to moves such as knock off and stealth rocks which are handy to have access to, along with that it can have taunt to stop leads from setting up entry hazards. While this all looks well ,krokorok sp def leaves much to desire,even with Eviolite most special attack will come close to KO it,along with the fact if Eviolite gets knocked off it'a defensI've capably gets hindered.

Some Calc:
-1 252 Atk Rapidash Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Krokorok: 90-106 (27.7 - 32.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

-1 252+ Atk Life Orb Electivire Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Krokorok: 125-148 (38.5 - 45.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

-1 252+ Atk Hustle Raticate-Alola Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Krokorok: 118-141 (36.4 - 43.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor

Murkrow @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Mirror Move
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Z-Mirror Move is great, since in tandem with Prankster you get to use the last move the opposing Pokemon used against you as a Z-move and before you perform this Z-move you get +2 in Attack. This allows Murkrow to act as an emergency revenge killer that can then countersweep/break with boosted Brave Birds and Sucker Punches. Protect is an innovation of mine: Murkrow's fourth moveslot is up for grabs since it lacks good coverage moves and something like Pursuit is not that useful on this Pokemon, and Protect can have its use in certain matchups. For one, it allows for Murkrow to prevent Kangaskhan from revenge killing it by blocking Fake Out and outspeeding and killing afterwards with +2 Brave Bird. It also makes sure that Primeape can only revenge kill with the unreliable Stone Edge, since protecting on the Close Combat, then copying with Mirror Move allows you to OHKO Primeape when you're at +2. Furthermore, if it comes in on a Pokemon that didn't use an attack in the previous turn, it can bait that Pokemon into using an attack it can copy by using Protect then following it up with Z-Mirror Move. Do keep in mind Mirror Move fails if the opponent switches out, however you still get the +2 from Z-Mirror Move regardless of whether you successfully copy an attack or not.

Finally, a replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-654074715

This replay nicely shows how Protect can be very clutch. Pinsir used Z-Me First in the previous turn in order to kill my Mesprit and get +2 in Speed, allowing it to outspeed my entire team while having enough bulk to tank any priority I could throw at it. Without Protect, I'd probably have to rely on a Sucker Punch crit or a Stone Edge miss on my Oricorio (Z-moves can't be copied by Mirror Move), but thanks to Protect, I could bait Pinsir into using Stone Edge so I could copy it with Z-Mirror Move and revenge kill Pinsir. I recommend you try this Pokemon out since it's pretty underrated and put Protect on it, it certainly has its use.

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus

Togedemaru @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sturdy / Lightning Rod
Jolly Nature
- Endeavor
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Zing Zap

Endeavor was a move that Togedemaru got during USUM (iirc) that got overlooked by most people in favor of Steel-type STAB. The main appeal that Endeavor has over fillers like Toxic is the immediate wallbreaking potential it could have, especially if Togedemaru is frequently switching into Stealth Rock/Spikes. Moreover, it can hit Pokemon like Ferroseed, which it would not be able to hit otherwise, and is effective even against an incoming Heal Bell Lanturn. On this set I prefer to run Sturdy over Lightning Rod so Togedemaru has a chance of living a hit from full and/or being left at 1 HP. A case could be made for Reversal in the same spot, although I feel Endeavor is much more reliable utility in the long run.

credit for the picture to user robaz
✈ (Altaria) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 Spe
Bold Nature
- Flamethrower
- Defog
- Roost
- Toxic

physically defensive Altaria is pretty great right now and in my opinion as good if not better than the spdef variant. the reasoning is pretty straightforward: it checks both passimian and primeape quite well due to its typing that makes it resistant to both Close Combat and U-turn and its access to reliable recovery. it is superior to pokemon such as palossand in a way since it can stop the opponent from getting hazards up, at least, and is easier in my opinion to fit on a team. extra defense makes it a better defogger against the likes of regirock as well which is always nice

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Some meta current sets for you!

If you are playing stall, try this out:

Pyukumuku @ Poisonium Z
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Soak
- Block

I've been talking about this set in chat for a while now, so I figure I'll finally post it here. Adding Block gives your team a wincon of sorts - basically trap whatever physical threat (save stuff that 2HKOes you even with the loss of STAB, like Passimian and Crabominable) you need to remove so that Audino and other specially defensive walls found on stall can do their jobs without fear of reprisal from a wallbreaker that targets their weaker Defense stat.
While other people have used Block before, Z-Toxic is a fairly unique creation that I've used with three purposes in mind: 1) holding a Z-crystal protects you from Trick / Switcheroo, so you'll never have to worry about being locked out of Recover. 2) This allows you to use Toxic even when you've been affected by Taunt and Encore, letting you break down targets like Sableye and Weezing (you basically Soak the Weezing on the switch, then click Z-Toxic when it stays in to Taunt). 3) This is mostly tertiary, but it gives you a Knock Off sponge AND a +1 Defense boost. The Defense boost lets you avoid the 2HKO from Shiftry's Adamant LO Leaf Blade most of the time, just to give you an idea of its bulk (not that you'd stay in):

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Shiftry Leaf Blade vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Pyukumuku: 140-166 (44.5 - 52.8%) -- 26.2% chance to 2HKO lol

Pretty much what happens anytime you find a Taunt user:
The opposing Sableye used Taunt!
Pyukumuku fell for the taunt!
Pyukumuku surrounded itself with its Z-Power!
Pyukumuku used Z-Toxic! Pyukumuku boosted its Defense using its Z-Power!
The opposing Sableye was badly poisoned! The opposing Sableye was hurt by poison!

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-698776207

Next is an effective set for offensive and balanced teams alike that capitalizes on Palossand's growing popularity in this Passimian-dominated meta:

Hitmonchan @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
Jolly Nature / Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

I originally built with this in Qwilfish meta, but it's honestly still very usable. The damage calculations that Choice Band gives you are below: it's a pretty long list, so just read through. Most notably, it 2HKOes Palossand and Clefairy, which is huge in controlling the hazard game by removing these two common SR users. Not to mention, taking these walls by surprise unleashes the potential of various physical and special threats. As you can see from the damage calculations below, the difference in nature (Adamant over Jolly) on Hitmonchan is only relevant to your damage in match-ups against Palossand, Pyroar, Kabutops, and Sawsbuck (changing the nature to Adamant increases the chance to OHKO these Pokemon by roughly 50% with Mach Punch and to 2HKO Palossand with Ice Punch by about 50%). Just keeping SR up is often enough to make up the difference in damage, which lets you run Jolly to outspeed and KO neutral-natured base 80s (and Skuntank and Magmortar).
Jolly
252 Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Hitmonchan Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Golurk: 304-358 (95.2 - 112.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Hitmonchan Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Absol: 306-362 (112.9 - 133.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Hitmonchan Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Shiftry: 342-404 (106.5 - 125.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Hitmonchan Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shiftry: 306-362 (95.3 - 112.7%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Hitmonchan Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Skuntank: 388-458 (111.8 - 131.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Hitmonchan Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Raticate-Alola: 540-640 (185.5 - 219.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Hitmonchan Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Pyroar: 266-314 (84.9 - 100.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Hitmonchan Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lycanroc: 288-342 (98.9 - 117.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Hitmonchan Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Bibarel: 306-360 (102.3 - 120.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Hitmonchan Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sawsbuck: 272-324 (90.3 - 107.6%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Hitmonchan Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kabutops: 194-230 (74.3 - 88.1%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Hitmonchan Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Jynx: 226-267 (83.3 - 98.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Hitmonchan Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kangaskhan: 246-290 (70 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Hitmonchan Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mesprit: 122-144 (40.5 - 47.8%) -- 59% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Hitmonchan Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Silvally-Fairy: 147-174 (44.4 - 52.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Hitmonchan Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Palossand: 172-204 (45.9 - 54.5%) -- 53.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Hitmonchan Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Clefairy: 167-197 (48.5 - 57.2%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO

Adamant
252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Hitmonchan Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Pyroar: 290-344 (92.6 - 109.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Hitmonchan Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sawsbuck: 300-354 (99.6 - 117.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Hitmonchan Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kabutops: 216-254 (82.7 - 97.3%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Hitmonchan Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Jynx: 247-292 (91.1 - 107.7%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Hitmonchan Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kangaskhan: 270-318 (76.9 - 90.5%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Hitmonchan Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mesprit: 134-158 (44.5 - 52.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Hitmonchan Earthquake vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Spiritomb: 145-171 (49.3 - 58.1%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO (Psychic Spiritomb creeping Gurdurr)
252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Hitmonchan Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Palossand: 188-222 (50.2 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Hitmonchan Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 174-206 (46.5 - 55%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pususpecttest-700856857 vs Arifeen
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pususpecttest-700851141 vs LST
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pususpecttest-700846790

Another cool set that LST set me onto for offensive teams:

Shiftry @ Grassium Z
Ability: Chlorophyll
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Blade

+2 Bloom Doom (175 BP with Leaf Blade) is pretty crazy. Basically, Swords Dance as they switch in their Adamant or Modest Skuntank. If you know its nature (a small % of Skuntank are Jolly, so this is fairly safe to do), just blow it up with +2 Bloom Doom. This set is cool to pair with Skuntank-weak Pokemon like Oricorio-Sensu, Haunter, Jynx, Mesprit, etc. Also make sure that you have an answer to Spiritomb, too, for the same reason.

+2 252 Atk Shiftry Leaf Blade (Bloom Doom) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Skuntank: 328-387 (94.5 - 111.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Black Sludge recovery

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-668639467
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-668638127

A Weezing / Eelektross lure:

Golurk @ Colbur Berry / Passho Berry / Yache Berry
Ability: Iron Fist / No Guard
Adamant Nature
- Gravity
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch / Stone Edge
- Drain Punch / Dynamic Punch

Who says you need to run SR on Golurk all the time? Gravity is a pretty usable move which forces your opponent to take an Earthquake, no matter what. Gravity as soon as you smell a Flying-type or Levitate user coming in, then Earthquake for free on the next turn.
Resist berries are really easy to swap on this build: Stone Edge + Passho will let you bait in Swanna, Yache is nice for protecting you against Hitmonchan's Ice Punch, and Colbur Berry is great for beating Skuntank. Lum is a cool option too: basically take the Wisp from Weezing, use Gravity, then smack it or one of its teammates with Earthquake on the following turn.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-682312713 vs Darkinium

Variations on Victreebel that I'm currently testing:

Victreebel @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Weather Ball
- Strength Sap
- Sludge Bomb
- Solar Beam

Victreebel @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe or 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Growth
- Power Whip / Solar Beam
- Weather Ball
- Poison Jab / Sludge Bomb

The first set is old hat, but add Strength Sap over its other options (i.e. Sleep Powder / Growth / Sunny Day), so that you aren't KOed prematurely by LO recoil, hazard damage, and priority. You can lower physical Skuntank's Attack with Strength Sap, and basically force it out while healing to full.

The second set forces your opponent to account for Sun Victreebel differently; by just running Poison Jab and 4 Atk, suddenly Magmortar is no longer a switch-in, as it is OHKOed by +2 4 Atk LO Poison Jab. Always run Weather Ball though, since Ferroseed is very common (and will be for a while given it's our best Spikes setter atm).

+2 4 Atk Life Orb Victreebel Poison Jab vs. 64 HP / 0 Def Magmortar: 325-383 (105.8 - 124.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Some hardcore cheese:

Type: Null @ Eviolite
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk / U-turn
- Work Up
- Tri Attack

Given its ridiculous bulk, Type: Null easily finds opportunities to setup. Normally, you'd be doing that with SD or ID, but WU Tri Attack also works for the same reason. A lot of people will just leave once you've frozen a couple of things (akin to how my old Sawsbuck set performs,
you know the one), which is great for earning reqs. I like pairing this with Hex Haunter, as that checks the Ghost-types that Type: Null needs gone (save for Spiritomb). If you run U-turn, play this with a cleric of some kind (Heal Bell Lanturn and Clefairy are decent options).

Last edited:
miltank.gif

Miltank @ Life Orb
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Milk Drink

Offensive SR Miltank ladies and gentlemen! An old set from Gen4/5 that's definitely fallen out of favor but still has its uses. Works really well on normal spam teams that want a rocker with decent bulk (even uninvested). Life orb miltank hits pretty hard and has a good speed tier, while also being able to punish a lot of common defoggers such as skuntank. Access to reliable recovery allows miltank to take some hits where needed as well and recover off life orb damage. Scrappy is great for again, normal spam teams, and allows you to hit most ghost types in the tier for at least a 2hko as well as outspeeding every one of them. Obviously the set is slightly outclassed by Kangaskhan, so make sure your team can utizilize its niches.

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pususpecttest-701545437

With the growing prevalence of snow warning + Alolaslash, I figured I'd share the set that Cogao and I came up with together that consistently does a lot of work when used properly. We experimented with the slashed moves, but ultimately ended up settling on this set. I've seen a few other people adopt it, or parts of it (looking at you Tack!), so without further adieu, I present to you sub focus punch Alolaslash!

Sandslash-Alola @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Slush Rush
Jolly Nature (Adamant if you don't want to outspeed Scarf Ape in hail)
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake/Swords Dance/Iron Head

Why use Fight-Z over Icium? Well, for one, it bops Ferroseed which is otherwise a safe switch-in, even without the Z aspect (yes, we're well aware that running focus punch on a slush rush mon is counterintuitive, but don't mess with what works)

Winter Seasonal, Round 2
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-702602584

252 Atk Sandslash-Alola Icicle Crash vs. 248 HP / 128 Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 73-87 (25 - 29.8%)
252 Atk Sandslash-Alola All-Out Pummeling (200 BP) vs. 248 HP / 128 Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 228-270 (78.3 - 92.7%)

It also functions in a similar manner against Miltank,

Lastly, it can also be used to secure a kill when you don't want to risk a miss (Ice-Z does this as well, to be fair). It can be used to nuke down or chip bulky water mons that resist the Ice Stab like Lanturn (if you're not carrying EQ - it's more proof-of-concept).

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-697251381

Lanturn Calcs
252 Atk Sandslash-Alola All-Out Pummeling (200 BP) vs. 40 HP / 220 Def Lanturn: 207-244 (51.6 - 60.8%)
252 Atk Sandslash-Alola Focus Punch vs. 40 HP / 220 Def Lanturn: 156-184 (38.9 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery

The really 'innovative' part of the set that I've seen people adopt is Substitute. It's really useful for status immunity, setup opportunity, and getting off one more attack after hail expires. Megazard is a fan of running it on his Alolaslashes.

Overall, this set is a lot of fun and is as potent, if not more so, than normal Icium-Z Alolaslash, with or without sub. Being able to break through common switch-ins like Ferroseed and Miltank is useful. I hope you all enjoy using it as much as we have!

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Why use Fight-Z over Icium? Well, for one, it bops Ferroseed which is otherwise a safe switch-in, even without the Z aspect (yes, we're well aware that running focus punch on a slush rush mon is counterintuitive, but don't mess with what works)

The really 'innovative' part of the set that I've seen people adopt is Substitute. It's really useful for status immunity, setup opportunity, and getting off one more attack after hail expires. Megazard is a fan of running it on his Alolaslashes.
Ferroseed already loses to Sub SD Alolaslash and Miltank can be broken by SD (although yeah Fightinium helps with tank so ig that's at least one thing it does). I'm not the one who invented sub and it's a completely standard move on Alolaslash at this point entirely because it beats Ferroseed without needing to resort to things like Fightinium. Can't say I see the merit in either SDless or EQless Alolaslash but ultimately it's the kind of mon which is always gonna do some work even if it's not the most optimal set so w/e

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)