(GP 2/2) Old Generation Exclusive Move Legality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Since I'm taking a semester off from College, I finally got back to this thing! YES, I fixed that silly Mew mistake, made a few additions, and added a note about Power-Up Punch at the end for Gen 6 (since it has one Pokemon in particular where it's pretty important).

So here's my current plan on this shiny finder !

- I'm gonna mess around with some HTML stuff for this article. Idea is: Each move is going to be a seperate table. The collumns will be Pokemon, illegal moves / abilities, and notes. Would probably want someone to check this though, I don't use the HTML for tables very often!

- Since I imagine QC for all our formats are probably too busy to check this indepth, I'm going to be checking the analyses of every Pokemon brought up in this article to make sure I didn't miss anything important. That being said, if you're a QC member and see this, feel free to check it out if you want, I'd appreciate the feedback!

- Since this will be a pretty big undertaking (one Im gonna try to do most of this week), I think it may be a good idea to make the event moves article its own thing. HOWEVER, assuming we do it (I want to!), I'll have the articles linked to each other since they are related, but serve different purposes (the big thing: Unlike most event moves, you can still get most of the stuff in this article with no issues)

-That being said, I'm not starting an event move article until this thing is in a state to be checked by other people (aka a near final state) lol.

Heyo, Psycho Boost Lugia falls into this category right ? It can only be obtained from XD and can't be used with Multiscale consequently
I only know this bc 5 years ago or so I was hella involved in those FB pokemon trade groups and I tirelessly searched for a Psycho Boost Lugia with no luck haha ;((

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Glad to see you around again Tmon!

There's now a way to use tables within xenforo itself (between the undo and list type buttons on the toolbar), which may be a better/faster alternative to the html itself. Afaik, embedding html in the posts doesn't allow it to render so that may cause some headaches. Either way, just throwing it out there. If you want to get some working html tho, I doubt the html crew will mind lol.

Do you think the (I'm assuming only-competitively-relevant) events would make this article excessively long? If so, I'm not opposed to a separate article. What you could also do is format this like a 2-part guide, much like our Gen 4/5 RNG guides. Part 1 could be still-available stuff, which is what the OP seems to cover. Part 2 is event exclusive. If there are only like 3 event mons you want to include tho, just add it here.

Theorymon Very helpful guide, overall, thank you. However, I think one part of it isn't accurate. It says that Salamence, with Refresh isn't legal with Fire Fang, but in Gen 7, Fire Fang is a move teachable via Heart Scale.

Also, no Mention of Wish Absol/Salamence. Or were those moves event only for those two pokemon?

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hey shiny finder , so I messed around with some HTML as a proof of concept, I think it's gonna be organized like this. Just note, the photo cuts out the table of contents.

EDIT: Forgot the table of contents lol. Here's a much better pic:

So if you're ok with the article looking like that onsite as a proof of concept outside of my mistakes like everything being in italics and the REALLY bad typo with Mew on Horn Drill (no, 8F Mews are NOT allowed to be traded on Smogon, freaking W key is too close to T LOL) (NOTE THAT'S JUST A VERTICAL SLICE PROOF OF CONCEPT, NOT THE ACTUAL FULL ARTICLE LOL), here's my current plan now that I got all the pressing analysis stuff of mine out of the way.

1. I'm gonna be devoting all of tonight towards making the on-thread organization consistent. Reason being is that Quite Quiet offered to help with the HTML part once this thing is done with Quality Control, GP, and whatever else needs to get done! I'll be highlighting him when it comes to that!

2. I'm going to focus on moves relevant to in-game formats (so Battle Spot stuff, Battle Spot Special / Tournaments / Battle Tree), and OU (since its the most important Smogon format). Now for stuff like Ubers, AG, UU, etc, I'm not nessiarly going to ignore them, but last month when I was doing a bit of work on this, I realized that checking pretty much every tier alone for "what are the relevant old gen exlusive moves" is a task that may be beyond the scope of one person lol.

If I just focus on battle tree / tower, battle spot, and OU, I think I can actually feasibly do it, and it also means I dont have to highlight as many people for QC lol.

3. That being said, I do wonder if it might be a good idea to have QC from other formats look at this AFTER it gets uploaded. I tried to design this article to be easy to update for future gens. Basically, I want this article to be a living article of sorts that can be easily updated as we get new generations of Pokemon (well unless Gamefreak does something crazy like kills moves upon transfer, guess I'd be super owned there LOL), so at least in my opinion, adding relevant moves and Pokemon and updating the article to be "compatabile with this format" is a feasible thing to do. I want to make sure that's ok with you first though!

Well regarldess of how things work out, this is now priority #1 for me!

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Sounds/looks good Tmon, thanks for picking this back up. I'm not opposed to #3, tho I wouldn't expect you to get much feedback (which isn't strictly a reason not to try). Assuming it makes sense in the final context, people are able/willing, and the number of edits isn't excessive (keeping the article updated with the times every so often is fine. Making edits every other day for nuances is too much, if you know what I mean), I think it would be ok. I "recently" updated the Gen 6 horde EV training guide to include ORAS, so the idea of updating our outdated guides isn't farfetch'd.

First things first tho, let's get this one squared away within the scope that you're comfortable with :)

Theorymon

Alrighty, I double checked every Pokemon (though a triple check may not be bad), got rid of a lot of glaring consistency issues (I'm sure some still remain though) and I standarized the formating so this can be HTMLed more easily. This thing is pretty much content complete outside of potential issues, so It's finally time for a quality check!

For those of you who are highlighted and don't know what this is: This is a resource for determinging move orgin and legalities for old generation moves. So basically, I want to try and cover almost anything that can be played ingame, so thats Smogon metagames (offical or not), battle spot specials, or battle tree / battle tower related stuff! What I need help with, is adding more Pokemon and moves to cover more metagames

Now considering what shiny finder said, yeah this thing isn't easy to check. So here's some gereral guidelines for what I'm looking for:

-Don't bother mentioning event moves unless its for a legality thing, that will be a seperate article :P

-Theres a LOT of strange stuff metioned, a lot of it is due to past batle spot specials and tournaments that may come up again, so for silly looking stuff like Double-Edge Porygon2, blame gamefreak and their crazy ass metagames like Inverse lol.

-That being said, if you want to add a Pokemon and their move to this article, here's my advice: suggest it, even if its some extremely niche Other Options thing. While this article is more for competitive use, I'm purposly trying to be rather lax about this stuff, because the idea is someone will already have an idea of what they're looking for if they're reading this article.

-Here's an unusual case of Pokemon I've been adding that I'd also suggest too: When something is too good to be true. So for example, I literally put Gyarados in the GSC Curse section because its a big bummer that it can't learn Curse with Intimidate lol, which I swear always gets brought up when Battle Spot Specials happen that allow it!

Sorry in advance, but for the first time in a long time, I'm gonna do a MASSIVE highlight list! I'll give this a week before I push it to GP. If you don't want to help with this, that's fine, and sorry if the highlight annoyed ya!

I'll be looking up more analyses to make sure I got stuff right (I checked several LC and Ubers analyses today as an example), but consdering how many Pokemon there are, I probably missed quite a few that should have their old gen moves mentioned. I would really appreciate the help to cut down on time and mistakes!

Ubers QC: Nayrz Minority Melee Mewtwo Cynara

OU QC: GMars Leo ABR DKM Finchinator Indigo Plateau Jordy @Locri Simia talah

Doubles OU QC: talkingtree MajorBowman Arcticblast GenOne Level 51 n10sit qsns

UU QC: Eyan Nuked Amane Misa Hilomilo Kink Kreme martha A Cake Wearing A Hat Surgeon vivalospride

RU QC: phantom MrAldo roman Arifeen Eternally banks Chrisloud1 CryoGyro Averardo zizalith

NU QC: Eternally Blast Hootie Rabia banks Espeonage. Finchinator Punchshroom quziel Raseri rozes Yoshi

PU QC: Megazard TONE 2xTheTap Akir HJAD Taskr UberSkitty TJ yogi gum tondas

ZU QC: 5gen Aaronboyer BloodAce0107 DurzaOffTopic LPY Xayah

Monotype QC: Decem Eien Havens Kev maroon Misaka Mikoto Moosical Tyke Vid

Anything Goes QC: Catalystic Chloe cromagnet42 lotiasite Megazard Pigeons

1v1 QC: Blazikin Chickenpie2 Freddy Kyogre MaceMaster motogp Osra TDA

Alright time for some people that technically aren't part of a metagame we cover that's relevant to this, but whose input will probably help anyways!

People who I know have played Battle Spot Special and competition stuf: cant say Demantoid Thick Fat Azumarill Lego

Finally, some wifi discord folks that offered to help: Buckert Xen

There's probably some other folks that can help out with stuff like battle tree, so let me know who to contact!

Otherwise, phew I don't think I've ever highlighted this many people before. Worst part is, my previous record holder is ALSO in this thread from over a year ago rofl.

Last edited:

Theorymon

Alrighty, I added pretty much everything people have brought up to me on discord, so I think that's enough checking! I'm putting this into the GP stage if thats alright with everyone!

So just a note to GPers since this article is very chart heavy: I tried to keep things in alphabetical order as much as possible, and I tried to have some "boiler plate" messages, though I'm not sure how much those are needed.

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention! You'll notice a lot of blank sections for mons, this is mostly because of how the charts work. If you want, I can change the blanks to "none".

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
No objections to moving to GP. I'll trust your judgement in receiving enough QC from Discord (tho in the future, please try to include something here for the record).

With that said, I (finally) sat down and read through this and came across a few minor things:
  • Gen 1 Dragonite -- Horn Drill and Reflect: DD is listed as a relevant illegal move. As of Gen 7, Dnite learns it at lvl 61.
  • Gen 2 Politoed -- Endure: Strictly speaking, a Politoed from Gen 2 can't have Encore, right. But both Encore and Endure were made egg moves in gen 7, so it may be worth a note.
It's probably just me rn, but what do you mean when you say stuff like: "Fissure is an egg move starting in Generation 3, but this allows compatability with other generation 1 and 2 moves."? I'm a bit confused by the bolded part. Do you mean to say excludes compatibility? There are a few entries like that. Similarly with "Eevee can learn this as an egg move, but it's the only way to pair with with Eevee's other old gen moves". What is "it"?

And I'm sure this would come out later on in formatting, but just in case, you break with the formatting on a few entries and have extra/repetitive lines:
  • Gen 1 Seismic Toss Kanga
  • Gen 2 Detect Eevee
  • Gen 2 Detect Mewtwo
  • Gen 3 Double-Edge Pinsir
  • Gen 3 Endure Azu
Like I said, minor stuff. That's all that stood out to me. Nice work Tmon, thanks :)

Theorymon

No objections to moving to GP. I'll trust your judgement in receiving enough QC from Discord (tho in the future, please try to include something here for the record).

With that said, I (finally) sat down and read through this and came across a few minor things:
  • Gen 1 Dragonite -- Horn Drill and Reflect: DD is listed as a relevant illegal move. As of Gen 7, Dnite learns it at lvl 61.
  • Gen 2 Politoed -- Endure: Strictly speaking, a Politoed from Gen 2 can't have Encore, right. But both Encore and Endure were made egg moves in gen 7, so it may be worth a note.
It's probably just me rn, but what do you mean when you say stuff like: "Fissure is an egg move starting in Generation 3, but this allows compatability with other generation 1 and 2 moves."? I'm a bit confused by the bolded part. Do you mean to say excludes compatibility? There are a few entries like that. Similarly with "Eevee can learn this as an egg move, but it's the only way to pair with with Eevee's other old gen moves". What is "it"?

And I'm sure this would come out later on in formatting, but just in case, you break with the formatting on a few entries and have extra/repetitive lines:
  • Gen 1 Seismic Toss Kanga
  • Gen 2 Detect Eevee
  • Gen 2 Detect Mewtwo
  • Gen 3 Double-Edge Pinsir
  • Gen 3 Endure Azu
Like I said, minor stuff. That's all that stood out to me. Nice work Tmon, thanks :)

Oops, sorry about forgeting the discord stuff! Here's the additions I made from there off the top of my head:

Lego pointed out that I should mention Natural Gift because its been relevant in battle spot specials

1v1 people told me to add Charm and Psywave mentions for Chansey

Shedinja, Qwilfish, and Shiftry were brought up by wifi and battle tree discords.

As for the "compatability" stuff, basically, its my way of talking about how a Pokemon needs to learn a move in this generation for it to be legal with other general exclusive moves. To use an example for Fissure, it's an egg move in gen 3 for Snorlax, but gen 1 and 2 Snorlax need to get it from the gen 1 TM if they want other gen 1 and 2 moves with it. Sorry if that sounds confusing, that may be something that needs to be cortected to sound clearer!

I fixed the other movepool stuff too, thanks! Dragonite in particular, I think I got its egg moves mixed up with Salamence at one point, and forgot to remove the Dragon Dance mention for some reason rofl.

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Oops, sorry about forgeting the discord stuff! Here's the additions I made from there off the top of my head:

Lego pointed out that I should mention Natural Gift because its been relevant in battle spot specials

1v1 people told me to add Charm and Psywave mentions for Chansey

Shedinja, Qwilfish, and Shiftry were brought up by wifi and battle tree discords.

As for the "compatability" stuff, basically, its my way of talking about how a Pokemon needs to learn a move in this generation for it to be legal with other general exclusive moves. To use an example for Fissure, it's an egg move in gen 3 for Snorlax, but gen 1 and 2 Snorlax need to get it from the gen 1 TM if they want other gen 1 and 2 moves with it. Sorry if that sounds confusing, that may be something that needs to be cortected to sound clearer!

I fixed the other movepool stuff too, thanks! Dragonite in particular, I think I got its egg moves mixed up with Salamence at one point, and forgot to remove the Dragon Dance mention for some reason rofl.
Sweet, thanks. I get it now. Yeah, when you say "this" in each case, it sounds like you're talking about the exception and not the exclusive gen. Maybe something like "Fissure is an egg move starting in Generation 3, but this [prevents compatibility with] other generation 1 and 2 exclusive moves." Or, "Fissure is an egg move starting in Generation 3, but obtaining it from Gen [1/2-whatever one you're talking about] allows compatability with other generation 1 and 2 moves." The implementation is up to you, but I do think a slight reword would help :)

Empress

33% coffee / 33% alcohol / 34% estrogen
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
add remove comment
Global comment: Why do you list the full evolution family for only some groups (i.e. "Abra, Kadabra, and Alakazam") and not others (i.e. you don't say "Machop, Machoke, and Machamp") even when every member of the family can learn that move? Please clarify, and please be consistent if possible.
Table Of Contents

Introduction

Generation 1
Body Slam
Counter
Double-Edge
Fissure
Horn Drill
Metronome
Psywave
Reflect
Seismic Toss

Generation 2
Curse
Detect
Mud-(AH)Slap

Generation 3
Body Slam
Counter
Double-Edge
Endure
Metronome
Mud-(AH)Slap
Siesmic Seismic Toss
Softboiled Soft-Boiled
Swords Dance
Shedinja

Pokemon XD Moves
Extrasensory
Fake Out
Follow Me
Heal Bell
Helping Hand
Hypnosis
Refresh
Sing

Generation 4
Endure
Heal Block
Natural Gift
String Shot
Sucker Punch
Vacuum Wave
Hypnosis
Shedinja

Generation 6
Dive
Hone Claws
Power-Up Punch

Introduction

Throughout the history of Pokemon, Gamefreak Freak has elected to allow transfers from older generations. With this, some moves have remained teachable in older generations only, leading to a complex system of move legality issues. This can make teambuilding difficult to plan, especially for the more esoteric, time-(AH)limited formats such as Battle Spot Special, and Battle Spot competitions. (Unless they're actually two different formats?) This article aims to alleviate this by covering relevant move and ability legality issues.

Generation 1: Red, Green, Blue, Yellow

-These Pokemon can(remove space)not have any egg Egg moves, as this was before breeding was in the series introduced. (subjective change)

-All Pokemon transferred from generation Generation 1 are forced to have their hidden abilities Hidden Abilities.

-Since Pokemon transfered transferred from generation Generation 1 have at least 3 flawless IVs, Hidden Power Fighting is impossible on these Pokemon.

-All of these Pokemon must come in regular Pokeballs Balls, since generation Generation 1 games did not record the type of Pokeball Ball used to catch Pokemon.

-All of these Pokemon can be traded to generation Generation 2 games before they are transfered transferred to generation Generation 7.

-All of these moves are TM moves. For information on how to find these TMs, check out this article: https://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/rby_tms

-Unless otherwise noted, these moves are also avaliable available in Generation 3 as a tutor move from move tutors. Getting these moves on generation Generation 1 Pokemon allows use of them with hidden abilities Hidden Abilities.

-These Pokemon can only be transfered to generation transferred to Generation 7. This does not work with the original cartridge version of the games,; (change to semi) it must be a Virtual Console edition on the 3DS.

Body Slam

Kangaskhan
Illegal Abilities: Early Bird, Scrappy
Relevant Illegal Moves: Power-Up Punch
Other Notes:

Counter.(remove period)

Abra, Kadabra, and Alakazam
Illegal Abilities: Inner Focus, Synchronize
Relevant Illegal Moves: Encore
Other Notes:

Chansey
Illegal Abilities: Natural Cure, Serene Grace
Relevant Illegal Moves: Aromatherepy Aromatherapy, Wish
Other Notes: Counter is an egg Egg move starting in generation Generation 6, but this teaching it via TM allows compatability for compatibility with other generation Generation 1 and 2 moves.

Clefable
Illegal Abilities: Cute Charm, Magic Guard
Relevant Illegal Moves: Fake Tears, Heal Pulse, Softboiled, Soft-Boiled
Other Notes: In order to learn have Moonblast and Stored Power, Cefable Clefable must learn them as a Clefairy in generation Generation 7. (period)

Gengar
Illegal Abilities:
Relevant Illegal Moves: Clear Smog, Disable, Perish Song, Sludge Wave
Other Notes:

Double-Edge

Aerodactyl
Illegal Abilities: Pressure, Rock Head
Relevant Illegal Moves: Curse, Pursuit
Other Notes:

Kangaskhan
Relevant Illegal Moves: Power-Up Punch, Wish
Other Notes:

Pinsir
Illegal Abilities: Hyper Cutter, Mold Breaker
Relevant Illegal Moves: Feint, Quick Attack
Other Notes:

Porygon2 and Porygon-Z
Illegal Abilities: Download, Trace
Relevant Illegal Moves: (colon)
Other Notes: Porygon2 must be evolved evolve from a Porygon in either generation 2 or genration Generation 2 or 7. Porygon-Z must be evolved evolve from a Porygon2 in generation Generation 7.

Snorlax
Illegal Abilities: Immunity, Thick Fat
Relevant Illegal Moves: Pursuit, Whirlwind
Other Notes: Double-Edge is learned by level-(RH) up only in Generation 1. Double-Edge is also an egg Egg move starting in generation Generation 2, but this teaching it via level up or TM allows compatability for compatibility with other generation Generation 1 moves without breeding.

Fissure

Charizard
Illegal Abilities: Blaze
Relevant Illegal Moves: Ancient Power, Dragon Dance
Other Notes:

Machamp
Illegal Abilities: Guts, No Guard
Relevant Illegal Moves: Bullet Punch, Heavy Slam, Quick Guard
Other Notes:

Mew
Illegal Abilities: None
Relevant Illegal Moves: Fake Out, Hypnosis
Other Notes: Mew was given out during an extremely limited event in the United Kingdom and Japan for generation Generation 1 Virtual Console games. In order to legally obtain this Mew otherwise, the arbitrary code execution glitches must be used, making this Mew illegal to trade on Smogon.

Poliwrath and Politoed
Illegal Abilities: Water Absorb
Other Notes: Politoed must evolve from a Poliwhril in generations Poliwhirl in either Generation 2 or 7.

Slowbro and Slowking
Illegal Abilities: Oblivious
Relevant Illegal Moves: Belly Drum
Other Notes: Slowking must evolve from a Slowpoke in either generations Generation 2 or 7.

Snorlax
Other Notes: Fissure is an egg Egg move starting in Generation 3, but this teaching it via TM allows compatability compatibility with other generation Generation 1 and 2 moves.

Horn Drill

Dragonite
Illegal Abilities: Inner Focus
Relevant Illegal Moves: Extreme Speed, Heal Bell
Other Notes:

Mew
Other Notes: Mew was given out during an extremely limited event in the United Kingdom and Japan for generation Generation 1 Virtual Console games. In order to legally obtain this Mew otherwise, the arbitrary code execution glitches must be used, making this Mew illegal to trade on Smogon.

Nidoqueen
Illegal Abilities: Poison Point
Relevant Illegal Moves: Sucker Punch
Other Notes:

Metronome

Gengar
Illegal Abilities:
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Primeape
Illegal Abilities: Anger Point, Vital Spirit
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Psywave

Chansey and Blissey
Relevant Illegal Moves: Aromatherepy Aromatherapy, Charm, Wish
Other Notes: Blissey must be evolved evolve from Chansey starting in generation either Generation 2 or 7. (parallelism)

Reflect

NOTE: While Reflect has consistently been a TM, the generation Generation 1 learnpool (Is that a real term?) for Reflect is dramatically different than in other generations.

Venusaur
Illegal Abilities: Overgrow
Relevant Illegal Moves: Leaf Storm
Other Notes:

Chansey and Blissey
Relevant Illegal Moves: Aromatherapy, Wish
Other Notes: Chansey must evolve into Blissey must evolve from Chansey in either generation Generation 2 or 7.

Dragonite
Other Notes:

Eevee Family
Illegal Abilities: Cute Charm, Flash Fire, Leaf Guard, Snow Cloak, Synchronize, Volt Absorb, Water Absorb
Relevant Illegal Moves: Wish, Yawn (Stored Power?)
Other Notes: In order to obtain Baton Pass, Eevee must learn it via level-(RH)up in Pokemon Crystal, (RC) or in generation Generation 7. Eevee must evolve into Espeon or Espeon and Umbreon must evolve from Eevee in generation either Generation 2 or 7, and into Glaceon, Leafeon, or Slyveon in generation and Sylveon must do so in Generation 7.

Gyarados
Illegal Abilities: Intimidate
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Porygon2 and Porygon-Z
Illegal Abilities: Adaptability, Download, Trace
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes: Porygon-Z must evolve from a Porygon2 in generation Generation 7.

Slowbro and Slowking
Other Notes: Slowking must evolve from a Slowpoke in generation Generation 7.

Tentacruel
Illegal Abilities: Clear Body, Liquid Ooze
Relevant Illegal Moves: Rapid Spin
Other Notes:

Eelctrode: Electrode
Illegal Abilities: Soundproof, Static
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Zapdos
Illegal Abilities: Pressure
Relevant Illegal Moves: Air Cutter, Baton Pass, Extrasensory, Metal Sound
Other Notes: This is the only way to obtain a shiny Zapdos with Static.

Seismic Toss

Chansey
Relevant Illegal Moves: Aromatherepy Aromatherapy, Charm, Wish
Other Notes: Seismic Toss is an egg Egg move starting in generation Generation 6, but this teaching it via TM allows compatability for compatibility with other generation Generation 1 and 2 moves.

Clefairy and Clefable: (remove colon)
llegal Abilities: Cute Charm, Magic Guard
Relevant Illegal Moves: Fake Tears, Heal Pulse, Softboiled Soft-Boiled,
Other Notes: In order to learn have Moonblast and Stored Power, Cefable Clefable must learn them as a Clefairy in generation Generation 7.

Kangaskhan: Illegal with Scrappy, Power-up Punch
Other Notes:

Generation 2: Gold, Silver, Crystal

-These Pokemon can be transfered transferred from Generation 1 games, but they can(remove space)not be transfered transferred back if they learn a move that only existed in Generation 2 without glitches, which are not legal in most Pokemon formats.

-All Pokemon transferred from Generation 2 are forced to have their hidden abilities Hidden Abilities.

-Since Pokemon transfered transferred from Generation 2 have at least 3 flawless IVs, Hidden Power Fighting is impossible on these Pokemon.

-All of these Pokemon must come in regular Pokeballs Balls, since Generation 2 did not record the type of Pokeball Ball used to catch Pokemon.

-Since only male Pokemon can pass down egg Egg moves in this generation, not all egg Egg move combinations may be legal.

-All of these moves are TM moves unless otherwise noted. For more information on how to find them, check out this article: https://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/gsc_tm_locations

Curse

Arcanine
Illegal Abilities: Flash Fire, Intimidate
Relevant Illegal Moves: Close Combat
Other Notes: Arcanine must learn In order to have Flare Blitz and Crunch, Arcanine must learn them (parallelism) as a Growlithe in generation Generation 7.

Azumarill
Illegal Abilities: Huge Power, Thick Fat
Relevant Illegal Moves: Aqua Jet
Other Notes:

Charizard
Relevant Illegal Moves: Dragon Dance
Other Notes:</p><p></p><p>
(line break)
Dragonite:
Relevant Illegal Moves: Only one of Horn Drill or Extreme Speed is legal. (This is a special case, so I'd shift it down) Heal Bell
Other Notes: Only one of Horn Drill or Extreme Speed is legal.

Entei
Relevant Illegal Moves: Extreme Speed, Flare Blitz
Other Notes: This is the only way to obtain an Inner Focus Entei.

Feraligatr
Illegal Abilities: Torrent
(line break)
Gyarados:
Relevant Illegal Moves:
(line break)
Ho-Oh:
Relevant Illegal Moves: Celebrate
Other Notes: This is the only way to get obtain a shiny Ho-Oh with Regenerator Ho-Oh. (parallelism)

Kangaskhan
Other Notes:

Machamp
Other Notes:

Poliwrath and Politoed
Other Notes:

Porygon2 and Porygon-Z
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes: Porygon-Z must evolve from Porygon2 in generation Generation 7.

Scizor
Illegal Abilities: Swarm, Technichian Technician
Relevant Illegal Moves: Quick Guard
Other Notes:

Suicune
Relevant Illegal Moves: Extreme Speed
Other Notes: This is the only way to obtain an Inner Focus Suicune.

Snorlax
Other Notes: Curse is learned via an egg an Egg move starting in generation Generation 3, but this allows compatability teaching it via TM allows for compatibility with other generation Generation 1 and 2 moves.

Zapdos
Other Notes:

Detect

Clefairy, (RC) and Clefable
llegal Abilities: Cute Charm, Magic Guard
Relevant Illegal Moves: Fake Tears, Heal Pulse, Softboiled SoftBoiled,
Other Notes: In order to learn have Moonblast and Stored Power, Cefable Clefable must learn them as a Clefairy in generation 7 Generation 7.

Crobat
Relevant Illegal Moves: Brave Bird, Whirlwind
Other Notes:

Dragonite
Relevant Illegal Moves: Only one of Extreme Speed or Horn Drill is legal. Hell Bell. Heal Bell
Other Notes: Only one of Horn Drill or Extreme Speed is legal.

Eevee family: illegal with: Hidden Abilities, Stored Power (note: Eevee can learn this as an egg move, but it's the only way to pair with with Eevee's other old gen moves)
Illegal Abilities: Cute Charm, Flash Fire, Leaf Guard, Snow Cloak, Synchronize, Volt Absorb, Water Absorb
Relevant Illegal Moves: Wish, Yawn, Stored Power
Other Notes: Curse is an egg Egg move starting in generation Generation 3, but this allows compatability teaching it via TM allows for compatibility with other generation Generation 1 and 2 moves.

Entei:

Ho-Oh
Other Notes: This is the only way to obtain a shiny Ho-Oh with Regenerator.

Lugia
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes: This is the only way to obtain a shiny Lugia with Multiscale.

Mew
Illegal Abilities:
Mewtwo: illegal with: Pressure, Heal Pulse, Hurricane
Mewtwo
Relevant Illegal Moves: Heal Pulse, Hurricane

Other Notes:

Poliwrath and Politoed
Other Notes:

Raichu and Alolan Raichu
Illegal Abilities: Static
Relevant Illegal Moves: Encore, Fake Out
Other Notes: Alolan Raichu must evolve from a Pikachu in generation Generation 7.

Raikou
Relevant Illegal Moves: Aura Sphere, Extreme Speed
Other Notes: This is the only way to obtain an Inner Focus Raikou.

Scizor
Illegal Abilities: Swarm, Technichian Technician
Other Notes:

Suicune

Endure

Azumarill
Relevant Illegal Moves: Aqua Jet, Dive
Other Notes:

Politoed
Illegal Abilities: Damp, Water Absorb
Relevant Illegal Moves: Dive, Encore
Other Notes: Endure is an egg Egg move starting in generation Generation 5, but this allows compatability teaching it via TM allows for compatibility with other generation Generation 1 and 2 moves.

Mud-(AH)Slap

Kangaskhan
Other Notes:

Generation 3: Emerald, Fire(remove space)Red, Leaf(remove space)Green, XD

-All tutor moves are only avaliable available in Emerald, Fire(remove space)Red, Leaf(remove space)Green, and Pokemon XD. Unless otherwise noted, they can only be used learned once. For more information, check out our guide on generation Generation 3 tutor moves: https://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/third_movetutorlist

-Apricorn Balls are illegal on these Pokemon. Additionally, Cherish Balls, Dream Balls, Dusk Balls, and Beast Balls, and all Apricorn Balls are also illegal illegal on these Pokemon.

-Hidden Abilities are not obtainable on these Pokemon.

-Since only male Pokemon can pass down egg Egg moves in this generation, not all egg Egg move combinations may be legal.

-Most of these moves are TMs in generation Generation 1 or 2. However, obtaining these moves in generation Generation 3 allows the use of regular abilities.

Body Slam (Tutor)

Altaria
Illegal Abilities: Cloud Nine
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Kangaskhan
Relevant Illegal Moves: Curse
Other Notes:

Salamence
Illegal Abilities: Moxie
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Counter (Tutor)

Chansey and Blissey
Illegal Abilities: Healer
Relevant Illegal Moves: Reflect
Other Notes: This is the only way to obtain Counter and Wish on the same Chansey or and Blissey.

Gengar
Illegal Abilities:
Relevant Illegal Moves: Clear Smog
Other Notes:

Double-Edge (Tutor)

Aerodactyl
Illegal Abilities: Unnerve
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Altaria
Relevant Illegal Moves: Feather Dance
Other Notes:

Dodrio
Illegal Abilities: Tangled Feet
Relevant Illegal Moves: Brave Bird
Other Notes:

Glaliee Glalie
Illegal Abilities: Moody
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Kangaskhan
Other Notes: Double-Edge is avaliable as an egg Egg move starting in generation Generation 4, but this allows compatability teaching it via Move Tutor allows for compatibility with other generation Generation 3 moves.

Pinsir: Illegal with Moxie, Quick Attack, Feint, Close Combat
Relevant Illegal Moves: Close Combat, Feint, Quick Attack
Other Notes:

Endure (Tutor)

Azumarill: illegal with Sap Sipper, Aqua Jet
Illegal Abilities: Sap Sipper
Other Notes: Acesss Access to Dive requires a transfer to generation Generation 6, since Pal Park will not allow HMs HM moves to be transfered transferred.

Magnemite
Illegal Abilities: Analytic
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Onix
Illegal Abilities: Weak Armor
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Metronome

Ambipom
Illegal Abilities: Skill Link
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes: Ambipom must evolve from an Aipom starting with generation in Generation 4.

Banette
Illegal Abilities: Cursed Body
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Celebi
Illegal Abilities:
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes: This Celebi is only possible to get via the Japanese Pokemon Colloseum Colosseum Bonus Disc.

Gengar
Illegal Abilities:
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Hariyama
Illegal Abilities: Sheer Force
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Jirachi
Illegal Abilities:
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes: This Jirachi is easiest to get via the Western (Did you mean "American", or is this the correct term?) Pokemon Colloseum Colosseum Bonus Disc, (RC) and the PAL Pokemon Channel.

Kecleon
Illegal Abilities: Protean
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Machamp
Illegal Abilities: Steadfast
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Medicham
Illegal Abilities: Telepathy
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Mud-(AH)Slap

Kangaskhan
Other Notes:

Seismic Toss (Tutor)

Chansey and Blissey
Other Notes: This is the only way to obtain Seismic Toss on and Wish on the same (I made it consistent with the other example, but is this a different case? If so, then this change might be incorrect; please clarify.) Chansey and Blissey.

Kangaskhan
Other Notes:

Softboiled Soft-Boiled (Tutor)

Clefairy and Clefable
Illegal Abilities: Friend Guard, Unaware
Relevant Illegal Moves: Detect, Fake Tears, Heal Pulse
Other Notes:

Togekiss
Illegal Abilities: Super Luck
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes: Togekiss must evolve from a Togetic starting in generation Generation 4.

Swords Dance

Qwilfish
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes: For some reason, Qwiflish Qwilfish can only learn Swords Dance as a tutor move in generation Generation 3.

The Shedinja factor

In generation Generation 3, Shedinja will inherit a learn move Ninjask learns so long as Ninjask evolved evolves from Nincada (If it learns the move as a Ninjask and not as a Nincada, you don't need to add "from Nincada".) at the same level it learned learns the move. This leads to a particularly tricky move legality situation: Swords Dance and Baton Pass are not legal with each other. Note that in generation Generation 3, Shedinja will always be in the same Pokeball Ball that Nincada was caught in, including a Master Ball. (not necessary) The relevant case is: Swords Dance and Baton Pass are not legal with each other. (It fits better earlier in the paragraph)

Pokemon XD Moves

The Gamecube GameCube game, (RC) Pokemon XD, (RC) has several very exclusive moves that are obtained after purifying a Shadow Pokemon. Many of these moves are fairly useful in doubles, and are this is the only way to obtain them. For more informatin information, consult our guide: https://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/xd_guide

Extrasensory

Articuno
Illegal Abilities: Snow Cloak
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Zapdos
Relevant Illegal Moves: Curse, Reflect
Other Notes:

Follow Me

Electabuzz and Electivire
Illegal Abilities: Vital Spirit
Relevant Illegal Moves: Detect, Feint, Reflect
Other Notes: Electivire must evolve from an Electabuzz starting in generation Generation 4.

Magmar and Magmortar
Relevant Illegal Moves: Detect
Other Notes: Magmortar must evolve from Magmar starting in generation Generation 4.

Mr.(space)Mime
Illegal Abilities: Technichian Technician
Relevant Illegal Moves: Fake Out
Other Notes:

Heal Bell

Articuno
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Dragonite
Illegal Abilities: Multiscale
Relevant Illegal Moves: Curse, Extreme Speed, Reflect
Other Notes:

Helping Hand

Banette
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Dusclops and Dusknoir
Illegal Abilities: Frisk
Relevant Illegal Moves: Destiny Bond, Haze, Imprison
Other Notes: Dusknoir must evolve from Dusclops starting in generation Generation 4.

Rhydon and Rhyperior
Illegal Abilities: Reckless
Other Notes: Rhyperior must evolve from Rhydon starting in generation Generation 4.

Togekiss
Relevant Illegal Moves: Stored Power
Other Notes: Togekiss must evolve from a Togetic starting in generation Generation 4.

Sableye
Illegal Abilities: Prankster
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Refresh

Salamence
Relevant Illegal Moves: Hydro Pump
Other Notes: While Dragon Dance is (dangling modifier) normally an egg Egg move, this Salamence learns Dragon Dance it when purified.

Sing

Kangaskhan
Other Notes:

Mawile
Relevant Illegal Moves: Fire Fang
Other Notes:

Mew Pokemon XD Tutors

These two moves can only be taught to Mew in Pokemon XD, with Fake Out being exclusive. Mew may only learn one of them. (What is the other one? Please give a section of the other one, and please clarify what you mean here, as the sentence itself seems contradictory.)

Fake Out
Illegal Abilities:
Relevant Illegal Moves: Curse, Detect, Horn Drill, Fissure
Other Notes:

Generation 4: Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heart(remove space)Gold, Soul(remove space)Silver

-Hidden Abilities are not legal on these Pokemon.

-Dream Balls and Beast Balls are not legal on these Pokemon.

-For more information on generation Generation 4 tutors Move Tutors, check out our guide: https://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/dpp_movetutorlist

Endure (TM)

Azumarill
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Magnemite
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Onix
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Heal Block

Dialga
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes: This move is learned via level up in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum only.

Palkia
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes: This move is learned via level up in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum only.

(Not Giratina?)

Natural Gift (TM)

Crobat
Illegal Abilities: Inflitrator Infiltrator
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Entei
Relevant Illegal Moves
Other Notes:

Gyarados
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Scizor
Illegal Abilities; Light Metal
Other Notes:

String Shot (Heart(remove space)Gold / Soul(remove space)Sliver-exclusive only tutor Tutor)

Gastrodon
Illegal Abilities: Sand Force
Other Notes:

Shedinja
Illegal Abilities:
Relevant Illegal Moves: Shedinja can only have one of the following moves: Baton Pass, Swords Dance
Other Notes: Only one of Baton Pass or Swords Dance is legal. (parallelism)

Venusaur
Illegal Abilities: Cholrophyll Chlorophyll
Other Notes:

Sucker Punch (Tutor)

Golem
Illegal Abilities: Sand Veil
Relevant Illegal Moves: Wide Guard
Other Notes:

Hitmonlee
Illegal Abilities: Unburden
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Hitmontop
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Shedinja
Illegal Abilities:
Relevant Illegal Moves: Shedinja can only have one of the following: Baton Pass, Swords Dance
Other Notes: Only one of Baton Pass or Swords Dance is legal.

Shiftry
Illegal Abilities: Pickpocket
Relevant Illegal Moves: Leaf Blade
Other Notes:

Victreebel and Bellsprout, Weepinbell, and Victreebel (Is Weepinbell correct? If not, ignore that)
Illegal Abilities: Gluttony
Other Notes:

Vacuum Wave (Tutor)

Blaziken
Illegal Abilities: Speed Boost
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Infernape
Illegal Abilities: Iron Fist
Other Notes:

The Shedinja factor

In generation Generation 4, Shedinja will inherit a learn move Ninjask learns so long as Ninjask evolved evolves from Nincada (same deal as above) at the same level it learned learns the move. This leads to a particularly tricky move legality situation: Swords Dance and Baton Pass are not legal with each other. Note that in generation 4, Shedinja will always be in a regular Pokeball. The relevant case is: Swords Dance and Baton Pass are not legal with each other. (Why does Shedinja get its own sections under Gen 4, but not Gen 3?)

My Pokemon Ranch Mew (Hypnosis)

If all 1000 Pokemon slots are filled up on the Wii(remove space)Ware game, (RC) My Pokemon Ranch, (RC) with Pokemon from Diamond or Pearl, you will be rewarded with a Mew that knows Hypnosis. Note that due to the closure of the Wii Shop Channel, this video game is no longer legally obtainable.

Hypnosis
Illegal Abilities:
Relevant Ilegal Illegal Moves: Curse, Detect, Horn Drill, Fissure
Other Notes:

Generation 6 Exclusive Move: Power-Up Punch

-Generation 6 is the most flexiable flexible (Spelling aside, not sure if "flexible" is the best word choice here. Maybe "inclusive"? That one I'm also not sure about; pick what you think fits.) of all generations, having access to every Pokeball Ball except for Beast Balls, and as well as almost every Hidden Ability.

-Most Hidden Abilities are accessible in some form. (redundant)

-For more information on generation Generation 6 TM locations, check out our guides: https://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/xy_tm https://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/oras-tms

Dive (ORAS HM)

Azumarill
Illegal Abilities:
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes: Azumarill can(remove space)not have Endure, Sap Sipper, and Dive on the same set.

Hone Claws

Metagross
Illegal Abilities:
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes: (Then what's the point...?)

Zekrom
Illegal Abilities:
Relevant Illegal Moves: Haze
Other Notes:

Power-Up Punch

Kangaskhan
Illegal Abilities:
Other Notes: Kangaskhan can(remove space)not have Power-Up Punch, Seismic Toss, and Inner Focus on one the same (parallelism) set.

Metagross
Illegal Abilities:
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes: (Then what's the point...?)

(How about a conclusion?)
That should do the trick. GP 1/2

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Global comment: Why do you list the full evolution family for only some groups (i.e. "Abra, Kadabra, and Alakazam") and not others (i.e. you don't say "Machop, Machoke, and Machamp") even when every member of the family can learn that move? Please clarify, and please be consistent if possible.
I believe it's intended to be a full mention of the competitively relevant Pokemon (for example, Blissey or [Eviolite] Chansey are both viable). I've tried to improve the consistency.

That aside, I went ahead and implemented this. Thanks Empress ^_^

Theorymon

Heya, so remember this thing? Well, I was wondering if any of you are cool if I update this for gen 8. I left this langusihing because there was talks about implementing the stuff this article covers as an actual dex feature, but that doesn't seem to be really high priority anymore.

As for when I can do that... don't expect anything till the weekend lol. Would it be better to get one last GP check, get this uploaded, THEN add the gen 8 stuff, or do the gen 8 stuff asap?

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Heya, so remember this thing? Well, I was wondering if any of you are cool if I update this for gen 8. I left this langusihing because there was talks about implementing the stuff this article covers as an actual dex feature, but that doesn't seem to be really high priority anymore.

As for when I can do that... don't expect anything till the weekend lol. Would it be better to get one last GP check, get this uploaded, THEN add the gen 8 stuff, or do the gen 8 stuff asap?
Go ahead and update it "now". Assuming it's not a massive overhaul, we can keep the 1 GP and I'll look over the additions.

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
add remove comments
Table Of Contents

Introduction

Generation 1
Body Slam
Counter
Double-Edge
Fissure
Horn Drill
Metronome
Psywave
Reflect
Seismic Toss

Generation 2
Curse
Detect
Mud-Slap

Generation 3
Body Slam
Counter
Double-Edge
Endure
Metronome
Mud-Slap
Seismic Toss
Soft-Boiled
Swords Dance
Shedinja

Pokemon XD Moves
Extrasensory
Fake Out
Follow Me
Heal Bell
Helping Hand
Hypnosis
Refresh
Sing

Generation 4
Endure
Heal Block
Natural Gift
String Shot
Sucker Punch
Vacuum Wave
Hypnosis
Shedinja

Generation 6
Dive
Hone Claws
Power-Up Punch

Conclusion

Introduction

Throughout the history of Pokemon, Game Freak has elected to allow transfers from older generations. With this, some moves have remained teachable in older generations only, leading to a complex system of move legality issues. This can make teambuilding difficult to plan, especially for the more esoteric, time-limited formats such as Battle Spot Special (RC) and other Battle Spot competitions. This article aims to alleviate this by covering relevant move and ability legality issues.

Generation 1: Red, Green, Blue, Yellow

-These Pokemon cannot have any Egg moves, as this was before breeding was introduced.

-All Pokemon transferred from Generation 1 are forced to have their Hidden Abilities.

-Since Pokemon transferred from Generation 1 have at least 3 flawless IVs, Hidden Power Fighting is impossible on these Pokemon.

-All of these Pokemon must come in regular Poke Balls, since Generation 1 games did not record the type of Poke Ball used to catch Pokemon.

-All of these Pokemon can be traded to Generation 2 games before they are transferred to Generation 7.

-All of these moves are TM moves. For information on how to find these TMs, check out this article: https://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/rby_tms

-Unless otherwise noted, these moves are also available in Generation 3 from move tutors Move Tutors. Getting these moves on Generation 1 Pokemon allows the use of them with Hidden Abilities.

-These Pokemon can only be transferred to Generation 7. This does not work with the original cartridge version of the games; it must be a Virtual Console edition on the 3DS.

Body Slam

Kangaskhan
Other Notes:

Counter

Alakazam
Illegal Abilities: Inner Focus, Synchronize
Other Notes:

Chansey
Other Notes: Counter is an Egg move starting in Generation 6, but teaching it via TM allows for compatibility with other Generation 1 and 2 moves.

Clefable
Illegal Abilities: Cute Charm, Magic Guard
Relevant Illegal Moves: Fake Tears, Heal Pulse, Soft-Boiled
Other Notes: In order to have Moonblast and Stored Power, Clefable must learn them as a Clefairy in Generation 7.

Gengar
Illegal Abilities:
Relevant Illegal Moves: Clear Smog, Disable, Perish Song, Sludge Wave
Other Notes:

Double-Edge

Aerodactyl
Illegal Abilities: Pressure, Rock Head
Relevant Illegal Moves: Curse, Pursuit
Other Notes:

Kangaskhan
Relevant Illegal Moves: Power-Up Punch, Wish
Other Notes:

Pinsir
Illegal Abilities: Hyper Cutter, Mold Breaker
Relevant Illegal Moves: Feint, Quick Attack
Other Notes:

Porygon2 and Porygon-Z
Illegal Abilities: Download, Trace
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes: Porygon2 must evolve from Porygon in either Generation 2 or 7. Porygon-Z must evolve from Porygon2 in Generation 7.

Snorlax
Other Notes: Double-Edge is learned by level-up(AH) only in Generation 1. Double-Edge is also an Egg move starting in Generation 2, but teaching it via level-up(AH) or TM allows for compatibility with other Generation 1 moves.

Fissure

Charizard
Relevant Illegal Moves: Ancient Power, Dragon Dance
Other Notes:

Machamp
Other Notes:

Mew
Other Notes: Mew was given out during an extremely limited event in the United Kingdom and Japan for Generation 1 Virtual Console games. In order to legally obtain this Mew otherwise, the arbitrary code execution glitches must be used, making this Mew illegal to trade on Smogon.

Poliwrath and Politoed
Other Notes: Politoed must evolve from Poliwhirl in either Generation 2 or 7.

Slowbro and Slowking
Other Notes: Slowking must evolve from Slowpoke in either Generation 2 or 7.

Snorlax
Other Notes: Fissure is an Egg move starting in Generation 3, but teaching it via TM allows compatibility with other Generation 1 and 2 moves.

Horn Drill

Dragonite
Other Notes:

Mew
Other Notes: Mew was given out during an extremely limited event in the United Kingdom and Japan for Generation 1 Virtual Console games. In order to legally obtain this Mew otherwise, the arbitrary code execution glitches must be used, making this Mew illegal to trade on Smogon.

Nidoqueen
Illegal Abilities: Poison Point
Relevant Illegal Moves: Sucker Punch
Other Notes:

Metronome

Gengar
Illegal Abilities:
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Primeape
Illegal Abilities: Anger Point, Vital Spirit
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Psywave

Chansey and Blissey
Relevant Illegal Moves: Aromatherapy, Charm, Wish
Other Notes: Blissey must evolve from Chansey in either Generation 2 or 7.

Reflect

NOTE: While Reflect has consistently been a TM, the Generation 1 pool of Pokemon able to learn Reflect is dramatically different than in other generations.

Venusaur
Illegal Abilities: Overgrow
Relevant Illegal Moves: Leaf Storm
Other Notes:

Chansey and Blissey
Other Notes: Blissey must evolve from Chansey in either Generation 2 or 7.

Dragonite
Other Notes:

Eevee Family
Relevant Illegal Moves: Wish, Yawn
Other Notes: In order to obtain Baton Pass, Eevee must learn it via level-up(AH) in Pokemon Crystal or in Generation 7. Espeon and Umbreon must evolve from Eevee in either Generation 2 or 7, and Glaceon, Leafeon, and Sylveon must do so in Generation 7. Stored Power is an Egg move starting in Generation 5, but teaching it via TM allows for compatibility with other Generation 1 and 2 moves.

Gyarados
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Porygon2 and Porygon-Z
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes: Porygon-Z must evolve from Porygon2 in Generation 7.

Slowbro and Slowking
Other Notes: Slowking must evolve from Slowpoke in Generation 7.

Tentacruel
Illegal Abilities: Clear Body, Liquid Ooze
Relevant Illegal Moves: Rapid Spin
Other Notes:

Electrode
Illegal Abilities: Soundproof, Static
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Zapdos
Other Notes: This is the only way to obtain a shiny Zapdos with Static.

Seismic Toss

Chansey
Relevant Illegal Moves: Aromatherapy, Charm, Wish
Other Notes: Seismic Toss is an Egg move starting in Generation 6, but teaching it via TM allows for compatibility with other Generation 1 and 2 moves.

Clefairy and Clefable:
llegal Illegal Abilities: Cute Charm, Magic Guard
Other Notes: In order to have Moonblast and Stored Power, Clefable must learn them as a Clefairy in Generation 7.

Kangaskhan
Other Notes:

Generation 2: Gold, Silver, Crystal

-These Pokemon can be transferred from Generation 1 games, but they cannot be transferred back if they learn a move that only existed in Generation 2 without glitches, which are not legal in most Pokemon formats.

-All Pokemon transferred from Generation 2 are forced to have their Hidden Abilities.

-Since Pokemon transferred from Generation 2 have at least 3 flawless IVs, Hidden Power Fighting is impossible on these Pokemon.

-All of these Pokemon must come in regular Poke Balls, since Generation 2 did not record the type of Poke Ball used to catch Pokemon.

-Since only male Pokemon can pass down Egg moves in this generation, not all Egg move combinations may be legal.

-All of these moves are TM moves unless otherwise noted. For more information on how to find them, check out this article: https://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/gsc_tm_locations

Curse

Arcanine
Illegal Abilities: Flash Fire, Intimidate
Relevant Illegal Moves: Close Combat
Other Notes: In order to have Flare Blitz and Crunch, Arcanine must learn them as a Growlithe in Generation 7.

Azumarill
Other Notes:

Charizard
Relevant Illegal Moves: Dragon Dance
Other Notes: (you had some random HTML here? I nuked it; it didn't seem relevant)

Dragonite:
Relevant Illegal Moves: Only one of Horn Drill or Extreme Speed is legal,(period -> comma) Heal Bell
Other Notes:

Entei

Feraligatr
Illegal Abilities: Torrent
Other Notes:

Gyarados
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Ho-Oh

Kangaskhan
Other Notes:

Machamp
Other Notes:

Poliwrath and Politoed
Other Notes:

Porygon2 and Porygon-Z
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes: Porygon-Z must evolve from Porygon2 in Generation 7.

Scizor
Illegal Abilities: Swarm, Technician
Other Notes:

Suicune

Snorlax
Other Notes: Curse is an Egg move starting in Generation 3, but teaching it via TM allows for compatibility with other Generation 1 and 2 moves.

Zapdos
Other Notes:

Detect

Clefairy and Clefable
llegal Illegal Abilities: Cute Charm, Magic Guard

Crobat
Relevant Illegal Moves: Brave Bird, Whirlwind
Other Notes:

Dragonite
Relevant Illegal Moves: Only one of Extreme Speed or Horn Drill is legal,(period -> comma) Heal Bell
Other Notes:

Eevee family
Relevant Illegal Moves: Wish, Yawn
Other Notes: Curse and Stored Power are Egg moves starting in Generation 3 and Generation 5, respectively, but teaching it them via TM allows for compatibility with other Generation 1 and 2 moves.

Entei

Ho-Oh

Lugia
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes: This is the only way to obtain a shiny Lugia with Multiscale.

Mew
Illegal Abilities:

Mewtwo
Relevant Illegal Moves: Heal Pulse, Hurricane
Other Notes:

Poliwrath and Politoed
Other Notes:

Raichu and Alolan Raichu
Relevant Illegal Moves: Encore, Fake Out
Other Notes: Alolan Raichu must evolve from Pikachu in Generation 7.

Raikou
Relevant Illegal Moves: Aura Sphere, Extreme Speed
Other Notes: This is the only way to obtain an Inner Focus Raikou.

Scizor
Illegal Abilities: Swarm, Technician
Other Notes:

Suicune

Endure

Azumarill
Relevant Illegal Moves: Aqua Jet, Dive
Other Notes:

Politoed
Illegal Abilities: Damp, Water Absorb
Relevant Illegal Moves: Dive, Encore
Other Notes: Endure is an Egg move starting in Generation 5, but teaching it via TM allows for compatibility with other Generation 1 and 2 moves.

Mud-Slap

Kangaskhan
Other Notes:

Generation 3: Emerald, FireRed, LeafGreen, XD

-All tutor moves are only available in Emerald, FireRed, LeafGreen, and Pokemon XD. Unless otherwise noted, they can only be tutored once. For more information, check out our guide on Generation 3 tutor moves: https://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/third_movetutorlist

-Cherish Balls, Dream Balls, Dusk Balls, Beast Balls, and all Apricorn Balls are illegal illegal on these Pokemon.

-Hidden Abilities are not obtainable on these Pokemon.

-Since only male Pokemon can pass down Egg moves in this generation, not all Egg move combinations may be legal.

-Most of these moves are TMs in Generation 1 or 2. However, obtaining these moves in Generation 3 allows the use of regular abilities.

Body Slam (Tutor)

Altaria
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Kangaskhan
Other Notes:

Salamence
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Counter (Tutor)

Chansey and Blissey
Other Notes: This is the only way to obtain Counter and Wish on the same Chansey and Blissey.

Gengar
Illegal Abilities:
Other Notes:

Double-Edge (Tutor)

Aerodactyl
Illegal Abilities: Unnerve
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Altaria
Relevant Illegal Moves: Feather Dance
Other Notes:

Dodrio
Illegal Abilities: Tangled Feet
Relevant Illegal Moves: Brave Bird
Other Notes:

Glalie
Illegal Abilities: Moody
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Kangaskhan
Other Notes: Double-Edge is an Egg move starting in Generation 4, but teaching it via Move Tutor allows for compatibility with other Generation 3 moves.

Pinsir
Relevant Illegal Moves: Close Combat, Feint, Quick Attack
Other Notes:

Endure (Tutor)

Azumarill
Other Notes: Access to Dive requires a transfer to Generation 6, since Pal Park will not allow HM moves to be transferred.

Magnemite
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Onix
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Metronome

Ambipom
Illegal Abilities: Skill Link
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes: Ambipom must evolve from Aipom starting in Generation 4.

Banette
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Celebi
Illegal Abilities:
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes: This Celebi is only possible to get via the Japanese Pokemon Colosseum Bonus Disc.

Gengar
Illegal Abilities:
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Hariyama
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Jirachi
Illegal Abilities:
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes: This Jirachi is easiest to get via the Western Pokemon Colosseum Bonus Disc and the PAL Pokemon Channel.

Kecleon
Illegal Abilities: Protean
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Machamp
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Medicham
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Mud-Slap

Kangaskhan
Other Notes:

Seismic Toss (Tutor)

Chansey and Blissey
Other Notes: This is the only way to obtain Seismic Toss and Wish on the same Chansey and Blissey.

Kangaskhan
Other Notes:

Soft-Boiled (Tutor)

Clefairy and Clefable
Illegal Abilities: Friend Guard, Unaware
Relevant Illegal Moves: Detect, Fake Tears, Heal Pulse
Other Notes:

Togekiss
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes: Togekiss must evolve from Togetic starting in Generation 4.

Swords Dance

Qwilfish
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes: For some reason, Qwilfish can only learn Swords Dance as a tutor move in Generation 3.

The Shedinja factor

In Generation 3, Shedinja will inherit a move Ninjask learns so long as Ninjask evolves from Nincada at the same level it learns the move. This leads to a particularly tricky move legality situation: Swords Dance and Baton Pass are not legal with each other. Note that in Generation 3, Shedinja will always be in the same Poke Ball that Nincada was caught in, including a Master Ball.

Pokemon XD Moves

The GameCube game Pokemon XD has several exclusive moves that are obtained after purifying a Shadow Pokemon. Many of these moves are fairly useful in doubles, and this is the only way to obtain them. For more information, consult our guide: https://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/xd_guide

Extrasensory

Articuno
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Zapdos
Relevant Illegal Moves: Curse, Reflect
Other Notes:

Follow Me

Electabuzz and Electivire
Relevant Illegal Moves: Detect, Feint, Reflect
Other Notes: Electivire must evolve from Electabuzz starting in Generation 4.

Magmar and Magmortar
Relevant Illegal Moves: Detect
Other Notes: Magmortar must evolve from Magmar starting in Generation 4.

Mr. Mime
Illegal Abilities: Technician
Relevant Illegal Moves: Fake Out
Other Notes:

Heal Bell

Articuno
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Dragonite
Illegal Abilities: Multiscale
Relevant Illegal Moves: Curse, Extreme Speed, Reflect
Other Notes:

Helping Hand

Banette
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Dusclops and Dusknoir
Illegal Abilities: Frisk
Relevant Illegal Moves: Destiny Bond, Haze, Imprison
Other Notes: Dusknoir must evolve from Dusclops starting in Generation 4.

Rhydon and Rhyperior
Illegal Abilities: Reckless
Other Notes: Rhyperior must evolve from Rhydon starting in Generation 4.

Togekiss
Relevant Illegal Moves: Stored Power
Other Notes: Togekiss must evolve from Togetic starting in Generation 4.

Sableye
Illegal Abilities: Prankster
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Refresh

Salamence
Relevant Illegal Moves: Hydro Pump
Other Notes: While Dragon Dance is normally an Egg move, this Salamence learns it when purified.

Sing

Kangaskhan
Other Notes:

Mawile
Relevant Illegal Moves: Fire Fang
Other Notes:

Mew Pokemon XD Tutors

These moves (Faint Attack, Fake Out, Hypnosis, Night Shade, Role Play, and Zap Cannon) can only be taught to Mew in Pokemon XD, with Fake Out being exclusive. Mew may only learn one of them.

Fake Out (is this formatting correct?)
Illegal Abilities:
Other Notes:

Generation 4: Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, SoulSilver

-Hidden Abilities are not legal on these Pokemon.

-Dream Balls and Beast Balls are not legal on these Pokemon.

-For more information on Generation 4 Move Tutors, check out our guide: https://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/dpp_movetutorlist

Endure (TM)

Azumarill
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Magnemite
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Onix
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Heal Block

Dialga
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes: This move is learned via level-up(AH) in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum only.

Palkia
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes: This move is learned via level-up(AH) in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum only.

Giratina
Illegal Abilities:
Relevant Illegal Moves:

Natural Gift (TM)

Crobat
Illegal Abilities: Infiltrator
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Entei
Relevant Illegal Moves
Other Notes:

Gyarados
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Scizor
Illegal Abilities; Light Metal
Other Notes:

String Shot (HeartGold / SoulSliver-exclusive Tutor)

Gastrodon
Illegal Abilities: Sand Force
Other Notes:

Shedinja
Illegal Abilities:
Relevant Illegal Moves: Only one of Baton Pass or Swords Dance is legal.
Other Notes:

Venusaur
Illegal Abilities: Chlorophyll
Other Notes:

Sucker Punch (Tutor)

Golem
Illegal Abilities: Sand Veil
Relevant Illegal Moves: Wide Guard
Other Notes:

Hitmonlee
Illegal Abilities: Unburden
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Hitmontop
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Shedinja
Illegal Abilities:
Relevant Illegal Moves: Only one of Baton Pass or Swords Dance is legal.
Other Notes:

Shiftry
Illegal Abilities: Pickpocket
Relevant Illegal Moves: Leaf Blade
Other Notes:

Victreebel
Illegal Abilities: Gluttony
Other Notes:

Vacuum Wave (Tutor)

Blaziken
Illegal Abilities: Speed Boost
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Infernape
Illegal Abilities: Iron Fist
Other Notes:

The Shedinja factor

In Generation 4, Shedinja will inherit a move Ninjask learns so long as Ninjask evolves from Nincada at the same level it learns the move. This leads to a particularly tricky move legality situation: Swords Dance and Baton Pass are not legal with each other. Note that in generation Generation 4, Shedinja will always be in a regular Pokeball Poke Ball.

My Pokemon Ranch Mew (Hypnosis)

If all 1000 Pokemon slots are filled up on the WiiWare game My Pokemon Ranch with Pokemon from Diamond or Pearl, you will be rewarded with a Mew that knows Hypnosis. Note that due to the closure of the Wii Shop Channel, this video game is no longer legally obtainable.

Hypnosis (again, is this the proper formatting? feels inconsistent)
Illegal Abilities:
Other Notes:

Generation 6 Exclusive Move: Power-Up Punch

-Generation 6 is the most unrestrictive of all generations, having access to every Poke Ball except for Beast Balls, as well as almost every Hidden Ability.

-For more information on Generation 6 TM locations, check out our guides: https://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/xy_tm https://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/oras-tms

Dive (ORAS HM)

Azumarill
Illegal Abilities:
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes: Azumarill cannot have Endure, Sap Sipper, and Dive on the same set.

Hone Claws

Metagross
Illegal Abilities:
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Zekrom
Illegal Abilities:
Relevant Illegal Moves: Haze
Other Notes:

Power-Up Punch

Kangaskhan
Illegal Abilities:
Other Notes: Kangaskhan cannot have Power-Up Punch, Seismic Toss, and Inner Focus on the same set.

Metagross
Illegal Abilities:
Relevant Illegal Moves:
Other Notes:

Conclusion

As you can see, the topic of move legality has become quite complex over the generations. I hope this article serves as a useful resource when building a team for your next competition!

I totally didn't see TMon's post about this being updated for Gen 8 btw, but I don't see a reason to throw this away lol. gp 2/??? I guess

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
talked with TMon privately (since he said QQ would do this) and suggested me to just HTML it.

I will likely be done once I wake up, but expect HTML within 24 hours

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
okie, I believe I should be done:

HTML:
[title]
Old Generation Exclusive Move Legality
[head]
<meta name="description" content="A guide that covers relevant moves and ability legality combinations when it comes to transferring." />

<link rel="stylesheet" href="../stylesheet.css" />
<link rel="stylesheet" href="//cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/font-awesome/4.4.0/css/font-awesome.min.css" />

<style type="text/css">
    #toc { border: 1px solid black; width: 219px; }
    #toc h3 {
        background-color: #BEBEE7;
        border-bottom: 1px solid black;
        margin-top: 0;
        text-align: center;
    }

#toc ul > li { list-style-type: none; margin-bottom: 4px; }
    li > ul > li:before { content: "- "; }

.notes > li { margin-bottom: 9px; }

.eml-table {
        border-collapse: collapse;
        margin: 2em auto;
        line-height: 1.5;
        max-width: 700px;
    }

.eml-table th, .eml-table td {
        border: 1px solid black;
        padding: 5px;
    }

.eml-table th { background-color: #BEBEE7; }

.eml-table td:nth-child(1), .eml-table th:nth-child(2), .eml-table th:nth-child(3) { white-space: nowrap; }

hr { margin: 1.5em 0; }
</style>

<script src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/2.1.4/jquery.min.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
    $(function(){
        $('[data-link]').hide();

$('[data-show-link]').click(function(evt) {
            evt.preventDefault();
            evt.stopPropagation();
            var link = $(this).data('show-link');
            $('[data-link="' + link + '"]').toggle();
            $(this).children('i').toggleClass('fa-caret-right fa-caret-down');
        });
    });
</script>
[page]
<div class="author">By <a href="/forums/members/theorymon.29010/" target="_blank">Theorymon</a>.</div>

<h2>Introduction</h2>

<p>Throughout the history of Pok&eacute;mon, Game Freak has elected to allow transfers from older generations. With this, some moves have remained teachable in older generations only, leading to a complex system of move legality issues. This can make teambuilding difficult to plan, especially for the more esoteric, time-limited formats such as Battle Spot Special and other Battle Spot competitions. This article aims to alleviate this by covering relevant move and ability legality issues.</p>

<div id="toc">
    <h3>Table of Contents</h3>
    <ul>
        <li><a href="#" data-show-link="gen1"><i class="fa fa-caret-right"></i> RGBY</a></li>
        <li>
            <ul data-link="gen1">
                <li><a href="#notes-gen1">Notes</a></li>
                <li><a href="#bodyslam-gen1">Body Slam</a></li>
                <li><a href="#counter-gen1">Counter</a></li>
                <li><a href="#doubleedge-gen1">Double-Edge</a></li>
                <li><a href="#fissure-gen1">Fissure</a></li>
                <li><a href="#horndrill-gen1">Horn Drill</a></li>
                <li><a href="#metronome-gen1">Metronome</a></li>
                <li><a href="#psywave-gen1">Psywave</a></li>
                <li><a href="#reflect-gen1">Reflect</a></li>
                <li><a href="#seismictoss-gen1">Seismic Toss</a></li>
            </ul>
        </li>
        <li><a href="#" data-show-link="gen2"><i class="fa fa-caret-right"></i> GSC</a></li>
        <li>
            <ul data-link="gen2">
                <li><a href="#notes-gen2">Notes</a></li>
                <li><a href="#curse-gen2">Curse</a></li>
                <li><a href="#detect-gen2">Detect</a></li>
                <li><a href="#mudslap-gen2">Mud-Slap</a></li>
            </ul>
        </li>
        <li><a href="#" data-show-link="gen3"><i class="fa fa-caret-right"></i> RSE / FRLG</a></li>
        <li>
            <ul data-link="gen3">
                <li><a href="#notes-gen3">Notes</a></li>
                <li><a href="#bodyslam-gen3">Body Slam</a></li>
                <li><a href="#counter-gen3">Counter</a></li>
                <li><a href="#doubleedge-gen3">Double-Edge</a></li>
                <li><a href="#endure-gen3">Endure</a></li>
                <li><a href="#metronome-gen3">Metronome</a></li>
                <li><a href="#mudslap-gen3">Mud-Slap</a></li>
                <li><a href="#seismictoss-gen3">Seismic Toss</a></li>
                <li><a href="#softboiled-gen3">Soft-Boiled</a></li>
                <li><a href="#swordsdance-gen3">Swords Dance</a></li>
                <li><a href="#shedinja-gen3">Shedinja factor</a></li>
            </ul>
        </li>
        <li><a href="#" data-show-link="xd"><i class="fa fa-caret-right"></i> XD</a></li>
        <li>
            <ul data-link="xd">
                <li><a href="#notes-xd">Notes</a></li>
                <li><a href="#extrasensory-xd">Extrasensory</a></li>
                <li><a href="#followme-xd">Follow Me</a></li>
                <li><a href="#healbell-xd">Heal Bell</a></li>
                <li><a href="#helpinghand-xd">Helping Hand</a></li>
                <li><a href="#refresh-xd">Refresh</a></li>
                <li><a href="#sing-xd">Sing</a></li>
                <li><a href="#mew-xd">Mew Pok&eacute;mon XD tutors</a></li>
                <li><a href="#fakeout-xd">Fake Out</a></li>
            </ul>
        </li>
        <li><a href="#" data-show-link="gen4"><i class="fa fa-caret-right"></i> DPPt / HGSS</a></li>
        <li>
            <ul data-link="gen4">
                <li><a href="#notes-gen4">Notes</a></li>
                <li><a href="#endure-gen4">Endure</a></li>
                <li><a href="#healblock-gen4">Heal Block</a></li>
                <li><a href="#naturalgift-gen4">Natural Gift</a></li>
                <li><a href="#stringshot-gen4">String Shot</a></li>
                <li><a href="#suckerpunch-gen4">Sucker Punch</a></li>
                <li><a href="#vacuumwave-gen4">Vacuum Wave</a></li>
                <li><a href="#shedinja-gen4">Shedinja factor</a></li>
                <li><a href="#hypnosis-gen4">Hypnosis</a></li>
            </ul>
        </li>
        <li><a href="#" data-show-link="gen6"><i class="fa fa-caret-right"></i> XY / ORAS</a></li>
        <li>
            <ul data-link="gen6">
                <li><a href="#notes-gen6">Notes</a></li>
                <li><a href="#dive-gen6">Dive</a></li>
                <li><a href="#honeclaws-gen6">Hone Claws</a></li>
                <li><a href="#poweruppunch-gen6">Power-Up Punch</a></li>
            </ul>
        </li>
    </ul>
</div>

<hr />

<h2>Generation 1: Red, Green, Blue, Yellow</h2>

<ul id="notes-gen1" class="notes">
    <li>These Pok&eacute;mon cannot have any Egg moves, as this was before breeding was introduced.</li>
    <li>All Pok&eacute;mon transferred from Generation 1 are forced to have their Hidden Abilities.</li>
    <li>Since Pok&eacute;mon transferred from Generation 1 have at least 3 flawless IVs, Hidden Power Fighting is impossible on these Pok&eacute;mon.</li>
    <li>All of these Pok&eacute;mon must come in regular Pok&eacute; Balls, since Generation 1 games did not record the type of Pok&eacute; Ball used to catch Pok&eacute;mon.</li>
    <li>All of these Pok&eacute;mon can be traded to Generation 2 games before they are transferred to Generation 7.</li>
    <li>All of these moves are TM moves. For information on how to find these TMs, check out the <a href="//www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/rby_tms" target="_blank">RBY TM location guide</a>.</li>
    <li>Unless otherwise noted, these moves are also available in Generation 3 from Move Tutors. Getting these moves on Generation 1 Pok&eacute;mon allows the use of them with Hidden Abilities.</li>
    <li>These Pok&eacute;mon can only be transferred to Generation 7. This does not work with the original cartridge version of the games; it must be a Virtual Console edition on the 3DS.</li>
</ul>

<h3 id="bodyslam-gen1">Body Slam</h3>

<table class="eml-table">
    <tr>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>Illegal Abilities</th>
        <th>Relevant Illegal Moves</th>
        <th>Other Notes</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Kangaskhan</td>
        <td>Early Bird, Scrappy</td>
        <td>Power-Up Punch</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<h3 id="counter-gen1">Counter</h3>

<tr>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>Other Notes</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Alakazam</td>
        <td>Inner Focus, Synchronize</td>
        <td>Encore</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Chansey</td>
        <td>Natural Cure, Serene Grace</td>
        <td>Aromatherapy, Wish</td>
        <td>Counter is an Egg move starting in Generation 6, but teaching it via TM allows for compatibility with other Generation 1 and 2 moves.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Clefable</td>
        <td>Cute Charm, Magic Guard</td>
        <td>Fake Tears, Heal Pulse, Soft-Boiled</td>
        <td>In order to have Moonblast and Stored Power, Clefable must learn them as a Clefairy in Generation 7.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Gengar</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>Clear Smog, Disable, Perish Song, Sludge Wave</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<h3 id="doubleedge-gen1">Double-Edge</h3>

<tr>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>Other Notes</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Aerodactyl</td>
        <td>Pressure, Rock Head</td>
        <td>Curse, Pursuit</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Kangaskhan</td>
        <td>Power-Up Punch, Wish</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Pinsir</td>
        <td>Hyper Cutter, Mold Breaker</td>
        <td>Feint, Quick Attack</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Porygon2 and Porygon-Z</td>
        <td>Download, Trace</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>Porygon2 must evolve from Porygon in either Generation 2 or 7. Porygon-Z must evolve from Porygon2 in Generation 7.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Snorlax</td>
        <td>Immunity, Thick Fat</td>
        <td>Pursuit, Whirlwind</td>
        <td>Double-Edge is learned by level-up only in Generation 1. Double-Edge is also an Egg move starting in Generation 2, but teaching it via level-up or TM allows for compatibility with other Generation 1 moves.</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<h3 id="fissure-gen1">Fissure</h3>

<tr>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>Other Notes</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Charizard</td>
        <td>Blaze</td>
        <td>Ancient Power, Dragon Dance</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Machamp</td>
        <td>Guts, No Guard</td>
        <td>Bullet Punch, Heavy Slam, Quick Guard</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Mew</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>Fake Out, Hypnosis</td>
        <td>Mew was given out during an extremely limited event in the United Kingdom and Japan for Generation 1 Virtual Console games. In order to legally obtain this Mew otherwise, the arbitrary code execution glitches must be used, making this Mew illegal to trade on Smogon.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Poliwrath and Politoed</td>
        <td>Water Absorb</td>
        <td>Encore</td>
        <td>Politoed must evolve from Poliwhirl in either Generation 2 or 7.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Slowbro and Slowking</td>
        <td>Oblivious</td>
        <td>Belly Drum</td>
        <td>Slowking must evolve from Slowpoke in either Generation 2 or 7.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Snorlax</td>
        <td>Fissure is an Egg move starting in Generation 3, but teaching it via TM allows compatibility with other Generation 1 and 2 moves.</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<h3 id="horndrill-gen1">Horn Drill</h3>
    <tr>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>Other Notes</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Dragonite</td>
        <td>Inner Focus</td>
        <td>Extreme Speed, Heal Bell</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Mew</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>Mew was given out during an extremely limited event in the United Kingdom and Japan for Generation 1 Virtual Console games. In order to legally obtain this Mew otherwise, the arbitrary code execution glitches must be used, making this Mew illegal to trade on Smogon.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Nidoqueen</td>
        <td>Poison Point</td>
        <td>Sucker Punch</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<h3 id="metronome-gen1">Metronome</h3>

<tr>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>Other Notes</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Gengar</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Primeape</td>
        <td>Anger Point, Vital Spirit</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<h3 id="psywave-gen1">Psywave</h3>
    <tr>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>Other Notes</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Chansey and Blissey</td>
        <td>Aromatherapy, Charm, Wish</td>
        <td>Blissey must evolve from Chansey in either Generation 2 or 7.</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<h3 id="reflect-gen1">Reflect</h3>

<p>NOTE: While Reflect has consistently been a TM, the Generation 1 pool of Pok&eacute;mon able to learn Reflect is dramatically different than in other generations.</p>

<tr>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>Other Notes</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Venusaur</td>
        <td>Overgrow</td>
        <td>Leaf Storm</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Dragonite</td>
        <td>Inner Focus</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Eevee Family</td>
        <td>Cute Charm, Flash Fire, Leaf Guard, Snow Cloak, Synchronize, Volt Absorb, Water Absorb</td>
        <td>Wish, Yawn</td>
        <td>In order to obtain Baton Pass, Eevee must learn it via level-up in Pok&eacute;mon Crystal or in Generation 7. Espeon and Umbreon must evolve from Eevee in either Generation 2 or 7, and Glaceon, Leafeon, and Sylveon must do so in Generation 7. Stored Power is an Egg move starting in Generation 5, but teaching it via TM allows for compatibility with other Generation 1 and 2 moves.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Gyarados</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Adaptability, Download, Trace</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>Porygon-Z must evolve from Porygon2 in Generation 7.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Oblivious</td>
        <td>Belly Drum</td>
        <td>Slowking must evolve from Slowpoke in Generation 7.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Tentacruel</td>
        <td>Clear Body, Liquid Ooze</td>
        <td>Rapid Spin</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Venusaur</td>
        <td>Overgrow</td>
        <td>Leaf Storm</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Aromatherapy, Wish</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Dragonite</td>
        <td>Inner Focus</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Eevee Family</td>
        <td>Cute Charm, Flash Fire, Leaf Guard, Snow Cloak, Synchronize, Volt Absorb, Water Absorb</td>
        <td>Wish, Yawn</td>
        <td>In order to obtain Baton Pass, Eevee must learn it via level-up in Pok&eacute;mon Crystal or in Generation 7. Espeon and Umbreon must evolve from Eevee in either Generation 2 or 7, and Glaceon, Leafeon, and Sylveon must do so in Generation 7. Stored Power is an Egg move starting in Generation 5, but teaching it via TM allows for compatibility with other Generation 1 and 2 moves.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Gyarados</td>
        <td>Intimidate</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Oblivious</td>
        <td>Belly Drum</td>
        <td>Slowking must evolve from Slowpoke in Generation 7.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Tentacruel</td>
        <td>Clear Body, Liquid Ooze</td>
        <td>Rapid Spin</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Electrode</td>
        <td>Soundproof, Static</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Zapdos</td>
        <td>Pressure</td>
        <td>Air Cutter, Baton Pass, Extrasensory, Metal Sound</td>
        <td>This is the only way to obtain a shiny Zapdos with Static.</td>
    </tr>
</table>
<h3 id="seismictoss-gen1">Seismic Toss</h3>

<tr>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>Other Notes</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Chansey</td>
        <td>Seismic Toss is an Egg move starting in Generation 6, but teaching it via TM allows for compatibility with other Generation 1 and 2 moves.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Clefairy and Clefable</td>
        <td>In order to have Moonblast and Stored Power, Clefable must learn them as a Clefairy in Generation 7.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Kangaskhan</td>
        <td>Power-Up Punch</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<p><a href="#toc">Back to top!</a></p>

<hr />

<h2>Generation 2: Gold, Silver, Crystal</h2>

<ul id="notes-gen2" class="notes">
    <li>These Pok&eacute;mon can be transferred from Generation 1 games, but they cannot be transferred back if they learn a move that only existed in Generation 2 without glitches, which are not legal in most Pok&eacute;mon formats.</li>

<li>All Pok&eacute;mon transferred from Generation 2 are forced to have their Hidden Abilities.</li>

<li>Since Pok&eacute;mon transferred from Generation 2 have at least 3 flawless IVs, Hidden Power Fighting is impossible on these Pok&eacute;mon.</li>

<li>All of these Pok&eacute;mon must come in regular Pok&eacute; Balls, since Generation 2 did not record the type of Pok&eacute; Ball used to catch Pok&eacute;mon.</li>

<li>Since only male Pok&eacute;mon can pass down Egg moves in this generation, not all Egg move combinations may be legal.</li>

<li>All of these moves are TM moves unless otherwise noted. For more information on how to find them, check out the <a href="//www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/gsc_tm_locations" target="_blank">GSC TM location guide</a>.</li>
</ul>

<h3 id="curse-gen2">Curse</h3>

<tr>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>Other Notes</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Arcanine</td>
        <td>Flash Fire, Intimidate</td>
        <td>Close Combat</td>
        <td>In order to have Flare Blitz and Crunch, Arcanine must learn them as a Growlithe in Generation 7.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Azumarill</td>
        <td>Huge Power, Thick Fat</td>
        <td>Aqua Jet</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Charizard</td>
        <td>Blaze</td>
        <td>Dragon Dance</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Dragonite</td>
        <td>Inner Focus</td>
        <td>Only one of Horn Drill or Extreme Speed is legal, Heal Bell</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Entei</td>
        <td>Pressure</td>
        <td>Extreme Speed, Flare Blitz</td>
        <td>This is the only way to obtain an Inner Focus Entei.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Feraligatr</td>
        <td>Torrent</td>
        <td>Aqua Jet</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Gyarados</td>
        <td>Intimidate</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Ho-Oh</td>
        <td>Pressure</td>
        <td>Celebrate</td>
        <td>This is the only way to obtain a shiny Ho-Oh with Regenerator.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Kangaskhan</td>
        <td>Power-Up Punch</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Machamp</td>
        <td>Guts, No Guard</td>
        <td>Bullet Punch, Heavy Slam, Quick Guard</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Water Absorb</td>
        <td>Encore</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Scizor</td>
        <td>Swarm, Technician</td>
        <td>Quick Guard</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Suicune</td>
        <td>Pressure</td>
        <td>Extreme Speed</td>
        <td>This is the only way to obtain an Inner Focus Suicune.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Snorlax</td>
        <td>Curse is an Egg move starting in Generation 3, but teaching it via TM allows for compatibility with other Generation 1 and 2 moves.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Zapdos</td>
        <td>Pressure</td>
        <td>Air Cutter, Baton Pass, Extrasensory, Metal Sound</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<h3 id="detect-gen2">Detect</h3>

<tr>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>Other Notes</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Crobat</td>
        <td>Inner Focus</td>
        <td>Brave Bird, Whirlwind</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Dragonite</td>
        <td>Inner Focus</td>
        <td>Only one of Extreme Speed or Horn Drill is legal, Heal Bell</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Eevee family</td>
        <td>Wish, Yawn</td>
        <td>Curse and Stored Power are Egg moves starting in Generation 3 and Generation 5, respectively, but teaching Detect via TM allows for compatibility with other Generation 1 and 2 moves.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Entei</td>
        <td>Pressure</td>
        <td>Extreme Speed, Flare Blitz</td>
        <td>This is the only way to obtain an Inner Focus Entei.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Ho-Oh</td>
        <td>Pressure</td>
        <td>Celebrate</td>
        <td>This is the only way to obtain a shiny Ho-Oh with Regenerator.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Lugia</td>
        <td>Pressure</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>This is the only way to obtain a shiny Lugia with Multiscale.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Mew</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Mewtwo</td>
        <td>Pressure</td>
        <td>Heal Pulse, Hurricane</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Water Absorb</td>
        <td>Encore</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Raichu and Alolan Raichu</td>
        <td>Static</td>
        <td>Encore, Fake Out</td>
        <td>Alolan Raichu must evolve from Pikachu in Generation 7.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Raikou</td>
        <td>Pressure</td>
        <td>Aura Sphere, Extreme Speed</td>
        <td>This is the only way to obtain an Inner Focus Raikou.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Scizor</td>
        <td>Swarm, Technician</td>
        <td>Quick Guard</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Suicune</td>
        <td>Pressure</td>
        <td>Extreme Speed</td>
        <td>This is the only way to obtain an Inner Focus Suicune.</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<h3 id="endure-gen2">Endure</h3>

<tr>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>Other Notes</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Azumarill</td>
        <td>Huge Power, Thick Fat</td>
        <td>Aqua Jet, Dive</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Politoed</td>
        <td>Damp, Water Absorb</td>
        <td>Dive, Encore</td>
        <td>Endure is an Egg move starting in Generation 5, but teaching it via TM allows for compatibility with other Generation 1 and 2 moves.</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<h3 id="mudslap-gen2">Mud-Slap</h3>

<tr>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>Other Notes</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Kangaskhan</td>
        <td>Power-Up Punch</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<hr />

<h2>Generation 3: Emerald, FireRed, LeafGreen, XD</h2>

<ul id="notes-gen3" class="notes">
    <li>All tutor moves are only available in Emerald, FireRed, LeafGreen, and Pok&eacute;mon XD. Unless otherwise noted, they can only be tutored once. For more information, check out our <a href="//www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/third_movetutorlist" target="_blank">Generation 3 tutor moves guide</a>.</li>

<li>Cherish Balls, Dream Balls, Dusk Balls, Beast Balls, and all Apricorn Balls are illegal on these Pok&eacute;mon.</li>

<li>Hidden Abilities are not obtainable on these Pok&eacute;mon.</li>

<li>Since only male Pok&eacute;mon can pass down Egg moves in this generation, not all Egg move combinations may be legal.</li>

<li>Most of these moves are TMs in Generation 1 or 2. However, obtaining these moves in Generation 3 allows the use of regular abilities.</li>
</ul>

<h3 id="bodyslam-gen3">Body Slam (Tutor)</h3>

<tr>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>Other Notes</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Altaria</td>
        <td>Cloud Nine</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Kangaskhan</td>
        <td>Inner Focus</td>
        <td>Curse</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Salamence</td>
        <td>Moxie</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<h3 id="counter-gen3">Counter (Tutor)</h3>

<tr>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>Other Notes</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Healer</td>
        <td>Reflect</td>
        <td>This is the only way to obtain Counter and Wish on the same Chansey and Blissey.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Gengar</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>Clear Smog</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<h3 id="doubleedge-gen3">Double-Edge (Tutor)</h3>

<tr>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>Other Notes</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Aerodactyl</td>
        <td>Unnerve</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Altaria</td>
        <td>Cloud Nine</td>
        <td>Feather Dance</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Dodrio</td>
        <td>Tangled Feet</td>
        <td>Brave Bird</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Glalie</td>
        <td>Moody</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Kangaskhan</td>
        <td>Inner Focus</td>
        <td>Curse</td>
        <td> Double-Edge is an Egg move starting in Generation 4, but teaching it via Move Tutor allows for compatibility with other Generation 3 moves.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Pinsir</td>
        <td>Moxie</td>
        <td>Close Combat, Feint, Quick Attack</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<h3 id="endure-gen3">Endure (Tutor)</h3>
    <tr>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>Other Notes</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Azumarill</td>
        <td>Sap Sipper</td>
        <td>Aqua Jet</td>
        <td>Access to Dive requires a transfer to Generation 6, since Pal Park will not allow HM moves to be transferred.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Magnemite</td>
        <td>Analytic</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Onix</td>
        <td>Weak Armor</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<h3 id="metronome-gen3">Metronome</h3>

<tr>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>Other Notes</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Ambipom</td>
        <td>Skill Link</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>Ambipom must evolve from Aipom starting in Generation 4.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Banette</td>
        <td>Cursed Body</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Celebi</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>This Celebi is only possible to get via the Japanese Pok&eacute;mon Colosseum Bonus Disc.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Gengar</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Hariyama</td>
        <td>Sheer Force</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Jirachi</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>This Jirachi is easiest to get via the Western Pok&eacute;mon Colosseum Bonus Disc and the PAL Pok&eacute;mon Channel.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Kecleon</td>
        <td>Protean</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Machamp</td>
        <td>Steadfast</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Medicham</td>
        <td>Telepathy</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<h3 id="mudslap-gen3">Mud-Slap</h3>

<tr>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>Other Notes</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Kangaskhan</td>
        <td>Inner Focus</td>
        <td>Curse</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<h3 id="seismictoss-gen3">Seismic Toss (Tutor)</h3>

<tr>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>Other Notes</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Healer</td>
        <td>Reflect</td>
        <td> This is the only way to obtain Seismic Toss and Wish on the same Chansey and Blissey.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Kangaskhan</td>
        <td>Inner Focus</td>
        <td>Curse</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<h3 id="softboiled-gen3">Soft-Boiled (Tutor)</h3>

<tr>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>Other Notes</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Friend Guard, Unaware</td>
        <td>Detect, Fake Tears, Heal Pulse</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Togekiss</td>
        <td>Super Luck</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>Togekiss must evolve from Togetic starting in Generation 4.</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<h3 id="swordsdance-gen3">Swords Dance</h3>

<tr>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>Other Notes</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Qwilfish</td>
        <td>Intimidate</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>For some reason, Qwilfish can only learn Swords Dance as a tutor move in Generation 3.</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<h3 id="shedinja-gen3">The Shedinja factor</h3>

<p>In Generation 3, Shedinja will inherit a move Ninjask learns so long as Ninjask evolves from Nincada at the same level it learns the move. This leads to a particularly tricky move legality situation: Swords Dance and Baton Pass are not legal with each other. Note that in Generation 3, Shedinja will always be in the same Pok&eacute; Ball that Nincada was caught in, including a Master Ball.</p>

<hr />

<h2>Pok&eacute;mon XD Moves</h2>

<p id="notes-xd">The GameCube game Pok&eacute;mon XD has several exclusive moves that are obtained after purifying a Shadow Pok&eacute;mon. Many of these moves are fairly useful in doubles, and this is the only way to obtain them. For more information, consult our <a href="//www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/xd_guide" target="_blank">XD special moves guide</a>.</p>

<h3 id="extrasensory-xd">Extrasensory</h3>

<tr>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>Other Notes</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Articuno</td>
        <td>Snow Cloak</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Zapdos</td>
        <td>Static</td>
        <td>Curse, Reflect</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<h3 id="followme-xd">Follow Me</h3>

<tr>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>Other Notes</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Electabuzz and Electivire</td>
        <td>Vital Spirit</td>
        <td>Detect, Feint, Reflect</td>
        <td> Electivire must evolve from Electabuzz starting in Generation 4.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Magmar and Magmortar</td>
        <td>Vital Spirit</td>
        <td>Detect</td>
        <td>Magmortar must evolve from Magmar starting in Generation 4.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Mr. Mime</td>
        <td>Technician</td>
        <td>Fake Out</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<h3 id="healbell-xd">Heal Bell</h3>
    <tr>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>Other Notes</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Articuno</td>
        <td>Snow Cloak</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Dragonite</td>
        <td>Multiscale</td>
        <td>Curse, Extreme Speed, Reflect</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<h3 id="helpinghand-xd">Helping Hand</h3>

<tr>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>Other Notes</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Banette</td>
        <td>Cursed Body</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Dusclops and Dusknoir</td>
        <td>Frisk</td>
        <td>Destiny Bond, Haze, Imprison</td>
        <td>Dusknoir must evolve from Dusclops starting in Generation 4.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Rhydon and Rhyperior</td>
        <td>Reckless</td>
        <td>Curse</td>
        <td>Rhyperior must evolve from Rhydon starting in Generation 4.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Togekiss</td>
        <td>Super Luck</td>
        <td>Stored Power</td>
        <td>Togekiss must evolve from Togetic starting in Generation 4.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Sableye</td>
        <td>Prankster</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<h3 id="refresh-xd">Refresh</h3>
    <tr>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>Other Notes</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Salamence</td>
        <td>Moxie</td>
        <td>Hydro Pump</td>
        <td>While Dragon Dance is normally an Egg move, this Salamence learns it when purified.</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<h3 id="sing-xd">Sing</h3>

<tr>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>Other Notes</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Kangaskhan</td>
        <td>Inner Focus</td>
        <td>Curse</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Mawile</td>
        <td>Sheer Force</td>
        <td>Fire Fang</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<h3 id="mew-xd">Mew Pok&eacute;mon XD Tutors</h3>

<p>These moves (Faint Attack, Fake Out, Hypnosis, Night Shade, Role Play, and Zap Cannon) can only be taught to Mew in Pok&eacute;mon XD, with Fake Out being exclusive. Mew may only learn one of them.</p>

<h3 id="fakeout-xd">Fake Out</h3>

<tr>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>Other Notes</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Mew</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>Curse, Detect, Horn Drill, Fissure</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<hr />

<h2>Generation 4: Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, SoulSilver</h2>

<ul id="notes-gen4" class="notes">
    <li>Hidden Abilities are not legal on these Pok&eacute;mon.</li>

<li>Dream Balls and Beast Balls are not legal on these Pok&eacute;mon.</li>

<li>For more information on Generation 4 Move Tutors, check out our <a href="//www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/dpp_movetutorlist" target="_blank">Generation 4 move tutor list</a>.</li>
</ul>

<h3 id="endure-gen4">Endure (TM)</h3>

<tr>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>Other Notes</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Azumarill</td>
        <td>Sap Sipper</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Magnemite</td>
        <td>Analytic</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Onix</td>
        <td>Weak Armor</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<h3 id="healblock-gen4">Heal Block</h3>

<tr>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>Other Notes</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Dialga</td>
        <td>Telepathy</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>This move is learned via level-up in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum only.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Palkia</td>
        <td>Telepathy</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>This move is learned via level-up in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum only.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Giratina</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
</table>
<h3 id="naturalgift-gen4">Natural Gift (TM)</h3>

<tr>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>Other Notes</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Crobat</td>
        <td>Infiltrator</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Entei</td>
        <td>Inner Focus</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Gyarados</td>
        <td>Moxie</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Scizor</td>
        <td>Light Metal</td>
        <td>Quick Guard</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<h3 id="stringshot-gen4">String Shot (HeartGold / SoulSliver-exclusive Tutor)</h3>

<tr>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>Other Notes</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Gastrodon</td>
        <td>Sand Force</td>
        <td>Clear Smog</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Shedinja</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>Only one of Baton Pass or Swords Dance is legal.</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Venusaur</td>
        <td>Chlorophyll</td>
        <td>Reflect</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<h3 id="suckerpunch-gen4">Sucker Punch (Tutor)</h3>

<tr>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>Other Notes</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Golem</td>
        <td>Sand Veil</td>
        <td>Wide Guard</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Hitmonlee</td>
        <td>Unburden</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Hitmontop</td>
        <td>Steadfast</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Shedinja</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>Only one of Baton Pass or Swords Dance is legal.</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Shiftry</td>
        <td>Pickpocket</td>
        <td>Leaf Blade</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Victreebel</td>
        <td>Gluttony</td>
        <td>Clear Smog</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<h3 id="vacuumwave-gen4">Vacuum Wave (Tutor)</h3>

<tr>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>Other Notes</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Blaziken</td>
        <td>Speed Boost</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Infernape</td>
        <td>Iron Fist</td>
        <td>Quick Guard</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<h3 id="shedinja-gen4">The Shedinja factor</h3>

<p>In Generation 4, Shedinja will inherit a move Ninjask learns so long as Ninjask evolves from Nincada at the same level it learns the move. This leads to a particularly tricky move legality situation: Swords Dance and Baton Pass are not legal with each other. Note that in Generation 4, Shedinja will always be in a regular Pok&eacute; Ball.</p>

<h3 id="hypnosis-gen4">My Pok&eacute;mon Ranch Mew (Hypnosis)</h3>

<p>If all 1000 Pok&eacute;mon slots are filled up on the WiiWare game My Pok&eacute;mon Ranch with Pok&eacute;mon from Diamond or Pearl, you will be rewarded with a Mew that knows Hypnosis. Note that due to the closure of the Wii Shop Channel, this video game is no longer legally obtainable.</p>

<h4>Hypnosis</h4>

<tr>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>Other Notes</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Mew</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>Curse, Detect, Horn Drill, Fissure</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<hr />

<h2>Generation 6 Exclusive Move: Power-Up Punch</h2>

<ul id="notes-gen6" class="notes">
    <li>Generation 6 is the most unrestrictive of all generations, having access to every Pok&eacute; Ball except for Beast Balls, as well as almost every Hidden Ability.</li>

<li>For more information on Generation 6 TM locations, check out our <a href="//www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/xy_tm" target="_blank">XY TM location guide</a> and <a href="//www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/oras-tms" target="_blank">ORAS TM location guide</a>.</li>
</ul>

<h3 id="dive-gen6">Dive (ORAS HM)</h3>

<tr>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>Other Notes</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Azumarill</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>Azumarill cannot have Endure, Sap Sipper, and Dive on the same set.</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<h3 id="honeclaws-gen6">Hone Claws</h3>

<tr>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>Other Notes</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Metagross</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Zekrom</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>Haze</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<h3 id="poweruppunch-gen6">Power-Up Punch</h3>

<tr>
        <th>Pok&eacute;mon</th>
        <th>Other Notes</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Kangaskhan</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>Curse</td>
        <td>Kangaskhan cannot have Power-Up Punch, Seismic Toss, and Inner Focus on the same set.</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
        <td>Metagross</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
        <td>None</td>
    </tr>
</table>

<hr />

<h2>Conclusion</h2>

<p>As you can see, the topic of move legality has become quite complex over the generations. I hope this article serves as a useful resource when building a team for your next competition!</p>
- I tried making the tables somewhat small, because the larger they were, the more blank space there was and looked very awkward. I am open for other suggestions, though. I also avoided centering anything there, as it either looked inconsistent or downright horrible (e.g. it looked nightmare-ish when the Eevee family's ability section was centered)

- For the hyperlinks, I avoided inserting the URL directly in the text, instead, I put some descriptive text to make it more user-friendly.

Here is a live preview

The Dutch Plumberjack

e: I made a small improvement to the script to make it easier to use if someone else needs to use it (it still functions the same way, I just changed the logic a bit). If someone ever needs the script for whatever reason, I suggest linking here, since this one has a "simpler" logic.

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
sorry for missing this tag

^ doesn't look fantastic, i'd just do game names (probably acronyms in practice but yea) throughout

some more spacing around the hr would be helpful

seems good otherwise

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
went with abbreviations so they don't stretch out in the TOC

added spacing to <hr />, tried not to make it too big, since bigger one looked a bit weird

Wtf? Since this analysis has been in production, we've had 2 worldwide disease outbreaks, and a nearlycomplete presidential term. Nuts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)