SM PU England is my City (Peaked #1 33-1)

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi so I play PU now because I was bad at NU boop! 400 post special bois, also I'm British :3

Screenshot_20170909-031231.png
Screenshot_20170909-031305.png

------

------

I really wanted to share a team that I've had success using recently and one that was adapted from an old ORAS NU team that I enjoyed immensely, even if its w/l is shoddy. I actually came back to the idea of this team when Dibs was talking about Togedemaru. Now, I hated it in NU and thought it was a stupid mon that shouldn't have been hyped as much as it is/was (little rant over); so when he mentioned it I shrugged it off, until he and Taskr basically smacked me with it so hard that I was convinced it was at least somewhat decent. So I messed around with it and really enjoyed the Offensive set, which is the only good set and I stand by that. Now, I really wanted to make good use of it so I looked through some old ORAS teams to see which ones I could alter a bit, and I found this one...

------

Togedemaru is the first mon on the team, and what this new and "improved" (subjective) team is now based on. It boasts a really nice speed tier for the meta it's currently in, just outpacing threats like Jynx and Lilligant, along with a reasonable attack stat to boot. Its main draw is in the fact that it has such a good support move pool to disrupt the opponents team, such as Encore and Toxic, to cripple and screw with set-up and pivot mons.

Choice Specs Mesprit is one of the strongest breakers in the metagame currently, boasting high stats all around along with its decent base 80 speed tier. It is able to break holes in most teams and offers a decent Fighting-type switch in if needed. It also messes with the standard spike stacking cores which is nice considering that my team is slightly weak to those.

Regirock was my next choice because it's a solid mon overall and can use its insane bulk in conjunction with Counter to basically bop every physical attacker in the tier, which is nice. It's all nice for its utility in Stealth Rocks and Thunder Wave, along with being a decent Normal resist too. Chople also allows it to cripple strong Fighting-types, however that was more-so for when Gallade and Sawk were in the tier.

Munchlax is basically the best Fire, Ice, Water... Anything resist in the tier, as long as it's being hit by a special attack. One of my favourite current mons and a neat wincon too with its Curse set. It can be a bit passive in some games, but that's generally how it's played to be honest. I actually ran a Fire Punch + Toxic set to be deal with things like Ferroseed and Guzzlord, but I find Curse to be the optimal set at the moment.

Weezing was an obvious choice for the team to have. It offers first and foremost a dedicated Fighting resist, which is what my team with three Fighting weaknesses and an offensive Psychic-type. It them gives me a way to cripple physical attackers with Wisp and also a way of pressuring switches with Toxic Spikes.

Finally I needed a Psychic resist and I also needed a dedicated Choice Scarf user with a decent speed tier. Shiftry filled the role with access to a base 80 speed tier and a nice attack stat, also offering emergency Defog if I was facing something like hazard stacking.
------

The Team

Dibs (Togedemaru) @ Leftovers
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Encore
- Fake Out
- Toxic
- Zing Zap

This set is credited to my good friend Dibs, who showed me how much of a monster Togedemaru can actually be. Well, less of a monster and more a massive annoyance, due to it's ability to pivot around different mons and use it's decent support movepool. Encore is basically the crux of the set in my opinion, being able to shut down slow set-up mons or even catch faster ones with it, it basically forces switches all the time. Fake Out (which can also be replaced with U-Turn) is a great move in conjunction with Toxic and Weezing's Toxic Spikes to allow for constant chip damage; whilst also allowing it to stall out both Weather and Trick Room archetypes. Toxic does what Toxic does best and cripples most mons in the tier, bar resists. Finally Zing Zap is just a good all-around STAB move with the added bonus to flinch 30% of the time.

HJAD (Mesprit) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psychic
- U-turn

The best Psychic-type in the tier, Mesprit can break most team by itself with its power STAB Psychic but also weakens would-be checks to both Shiftry and Munchlax. Psychic is standard on the Choice Specs set, allowing it to hit things that don't resist it super hard (Psyshock is also an option but I think over Psychic is the better move). Hidden Power Fire is mainly on here because of how much my team struggles versus Ferroseed, as usually something like Hidden Power Ground or Signal Beam are the preferred options. Ice Beam is a great move to hit things like Skuntank and Guzzlord, both of which are common switch-ins to Mesprit. U-turn is what I personally chose for the last slot to allow Mesprit pivoting opportunities in unfavourable matchups, though it is quite a versatile last slot allowing for things like Dazzling Gleam or even Healing Wish. I chose to use Timid over Modest on Mesprit because out speeding things like Jolly Absol and Adamant Skuntank is nice for it.

Taskr (Regirock) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 184 Atk / 16 Def / 60 SpD
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Counter
- Stone Edge

Regirock is my dedicated Normal resist and Stealth Rocker, capable of taking most physical hit with ease; especially thanks to Chople Berry (which also helps check things like All-Out Pummeling Magmortar). Stealth Rock is quite literally the best move in the game and every team is practically required to have a setter to be competitively viable. Thunder Wave is used to cripple things for either Mesprit or Shiftry to deal with later, or just to try and beat things one-on-one. Stone Edge is just a solid STAB move for Regirock to have, allowing it to kill the previously mentioned All-Out Pummeling Magmortar and even things like Z-Celebrate Charizard. Finally I chose Counter because I find that it has a nice amount of utility even if the opponent knows about it, meaning they'll be scared to directly attack it with things like Primeape and Hitmonchan. The EV spread is a standard ORAS NU one as far as I can remember.

Teddeh (Munchlax) @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Body Slam
- Curse
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Munchlax is probably the most reliable Ice and Fire resist in the tier, with its ability (literally) to sponge almost every special hit directed towards it. It is also able to set-up on a lot of the tier thanks to Eviolite plus a massive HP stat. Body Slam is pretty standard for a bulky mon to use, as the added chance to Paralyse makes it worthwhile over a more powerful option such as Return (or Frustration). Curse allows it to boost versus basically every special attacker in the tier and also helps when in a Trick Room matchup, due to it being slower than everything (Toxic is an option over Curse). Finally it's just standard Rest + Sleep Talk for semi-reliable recovery. The EVs just maximise its bulk; you can go max HP but generally the special bulk increase is negligible.

Anty (Weezing) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Toxic Spikes

Weezing is probably the one of the best pokemon currently in the tier, able to check most physical attackers with ease and chip them or cripple them with Sludge Bomb and Will-O-Wisp, respectively. Sludge Bomb is Weezing's best STAB option as even though Sludge Wave has increased damage, the lowered chance to poison and opponent is noticeable and the damage increase is not. Will-O-Wisp is its standard way of crippling physical attackers that stay in on it. Taunt is a nice utility option that prevents things like Ferroseed from setting up directly on it. Finally Toxic Spikes is a fantastic last slot for Weezing to use as it puts a lot of pressure on teams that either lack an absorber or have had their absorber fainted. The spread is just max Def and HP, because it doesn't really need the speed in my opinion and I like Rocky Helmet over Leftovers purely because my team struggles with Fighting-types, so the added chip is nice.

Yogi (Shiftry) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Chlorophyll
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade
- Rock Slide

Scarf Shiftry is a nice final slot that does role compression pretty well for what is needed for my team, having a decent speed tier with Choice Scarf and access to Defog; Chlorophyll also makes it a great mon versus opposing Sun teams. Defog is pretty much what I'm using it for, as it allows me to clear hazards reliably if I'm facing spike stack teams. Knock Off is its best Dark-type STAB move, allowing it to remove items from mon like Weezing, which commonly switch-in to Shiftry. Leaf Blade is a solid move that's legal due to me not using Sucker Punch. Finally I chose Rock Slide because it helps against things like Charizard and Archeops, both of which severely threaten my team.

------

Threat List

While not initially seeming like a threatening mon, Ferroseed puts in so much work versus my team as most of my mon struggle to even hit this thing. Correctly playing Mesprit, Weezing and even Shiftry help, but against a good play it's a massive uphill battle.

Specifically the Life Orb and All-Out Pummeling sets are the ones that are scarf for my team to face, because once Life Orb becomes part of the equation Munchlax becomes a lot less of a check. Generally keeping hazards up and offensively pressuring it with Shiftry and Togedemaru is my best bet.

Ghost Oricorio is something I struggle against because my main resist to it can't actually damage it, so if it's the Substitute set it basically gets free set-up. Again I need to offensively check it, and be super aggressive with Togedemaru.

Spike stacking is an awkward matchup for my team to face, and really means that I have to play a bulky team super aggressively to not straight out lose to it.

------

The Brits: Teddeh HJAD Dibs The Dreamer Taskr Anty
The rest of my gang: Dundies PursuitOfHappiny Eternally Shaneghoul
The PU room, thanks for being so welcoming
The NU room, still love you guys
Everyone else I didn't mention in vague groups!

------

Dibs (Togedemaru) @ Leftovers
Ability: Lightning Rod
Jolly Nature
- Encore
- Fake Out
- Toxic
- Zing Zap

HJAD (Mesprit) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psychic
- U-turn

Taskr (Regirock) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 184 Atk / 16 Def / 60 SpD
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Counter
- Stone Edge

Teddeh (Munchlax) @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Body Slam
- Curse
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Anty (Weezing) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Toxic Spikes

Yogi (Shiftry) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Chlorophyll
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade
- Rock Slide

------

Replays

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-632967126
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-628494067

------

Conclusion

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read this. I'm really enjoying PU at the moment and I cant wait to see the tier develop further. RIP Core Metagame though...

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I really wanted to rate this cuz it's cute but I don't have much advice for u. The biggest concerning thing i noticed is the potential for Z-kiss jynx to run through this in not entirely unreasonable circumstances because Munchlax is clean 2hkod at +2 by psyshock, so maybe early bird shiftry can sorta help with that. Sun should be a fairly easy matchup anyway with weezing/togedemaru/munchlax tbh. Also 184 attack regirock just kinda sucks like do u really need those KOs? I've really been liking a full 200 SpD impish set to just maximize that special bulk. Yeah that's all I got tho, good stuff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)