SM OU Eternal Dusk

Introduction

So I wanted to make a team around one of my new favorite Pokemon Lycanroc-Dusk. I haven't built a team in a year so after testing out this new build I figured I'd put up a RMT for some constructive criticism of the team to further help me since I'm a bit rusty.

Teambuilding Process

A new favorite I picked for this team to be built around.

Since I wanted a more balance type team I added Toxapex to sponge damage, burn physical attackers and stop boosters from sweeping.

Added Gliscor to form a defensive core with Toxapex and remove harzards.

Many steel types can prove to be very problematic so I added Magnezone to trap them.

Needed a stealth rock setter and thought Garchomp was an okay choice.

Figured A spikes user was needed to help wear down Pokemon for Lycanroc-Dusk and went with Greninja who can also serve as a revenge killer.

Garchomp was proving counterproductive so after so testing with both Landerous-T and Clefable I ended opting for Clefable to take it's place.

The Team

Lycanroc-Dusk (M) @ Lycanium Z
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Drill Run
- Accelerock

The mon this team is built around I went with Swords Dance build to either sweep when the various threats are removed or to clean up after the opponent's team is weakened. Lycanium-Z let's it muscle through certain walls it otherwise couldn't beat while Drill Run stops problematic steel types like Heatran. Accelerock let's me pick off weakened faster threats.

Toxapex (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic

The defensive backbone of the team Toxapex burn threats like Mega Scizor and use Haze to prevent potential sweeps. Toxic can further stop sweeps by putting a timer on said Pokemon.
Recovery combined with Black Sludge and Regenerator let's last longer and recover health when switching out.

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 152 SpD / 112 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Defog
- Knock Off

Forms a fantastic defensive core with Toxapex as well as giving a much needed immunity to Earthquake. Gliscor's man job is to remove hazards from the field on many common hazard users that cannot threaten it. Earthquake is it's STAB of choice while Knock Off crippled walls that may try to stall it. Roost to further increase its survivability.

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power Fire
- Volt Switch

Steel trapper that is has some role condensing with Assault Vest. Also serves as a pivot with Volt Switch to allow Lycanroc-dusk to safely switch in on threats like Heatran. Thunderbolt and HP Fire is used for respective steels weak to such. Flash Cannon for smacking pesky Fairy types.

Clefable (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Knock Off

The team's new stealth rock setter. Clefable not only makes a good rock setter but also serves as a check for Zygarde that the team is rather weak to if Greninja is out of the picture. Soft-Boiled combine wit Leftoversfor to keep it healthy and Knock Off to remove items from pesky threats. Moonblast allows Clefable to threaten Pokemon like Zygarde, Garchomp and Mega Medicham.

Greninja (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Slide
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes

My spikes setter and revenge killer Greninja helps handle some threats that would otherwise be a problem. Ice Beam is used for threats like Zygarde while Gunk Shot hits Fairies and naturally resistant Pokemon. Rock Slide hits fire types like Volcarona that can be a threat if Lycanroc-dusk is KO'd.

Garchomp (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

The team's stealth rock setter. Garchomp also does respectable damage with Earthquake or Outrage. Fire Blast was taken to surprise steel types like Mega Scizor that predicts the Sword Dance variants. Originally used Life Orb but switched to Focus Sash as the recoil was not desirable.

Conclusion

After testing the team has served me pretty well but is still shaky with certain cores like Koko+Hawlucha core. That said I would appreciate any feedback to help improve my team. Thanks for reading and any help you might suggest!

Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Drill Run
- Accelerock

Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Defog
- Knock Off

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power Fire
- Volt Switch

Clefable (M) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Knock Off

Naive Nature
- Rock Slide
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes

Last edited:
Reactions: DKM

DKM

Are you feeling nervous? Are you having fun?
is a Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hi, this is a cool team. Lycanroc is a nice sweeper even if it isn't used that often.

However I think some things can be improved, for example I think a sash stealth rocker + defog is kinda counter-productive.

445.png --> 645-s.png
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Landorus is overall a more consistant rocker than Garchomp, it can keep on getting up rocks to help Lycanroc sweep even after you defog.

You could use an offensive set but I think defensive is better since this team is a bit weak to Zygarde.

I don't think losing out on fire coverage is that bad as long as you play smart with Magnezone.

658.png
Naive Nature
- Rock Slide
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes

I don't find Extrasensory very good on Greninja without Life Orb or Z-move, it misses out on the 2HKO on Toxapex and Mega-Venusaur most of the time.

Ice Beam helps alot against common threats like Landorus, Zygarde, Garchomp etc. and is just more useful in a majority of matchups.

462.png
Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power Fire
- Volt Switch

Small, but crucial change. Magnezone usually runs Timid so that they always outspeed a slightly invested Mega-Scizor who might try to speed-creep it.

I hope these changes are helpful, even if some are pretty small :]

Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Drill Run
- Accelerock

Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Defog
- Knock Off

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Naive Nature
- Rock Slide
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes

Hi, this is a cool team. Lycanroc is a nice sweeper even if it isn't used that often.

However I think some things can be improved, for example I think a sash stealth rocker + defog is kinda counter-productive.

View attachment 96257 --> View attachment 96258
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Landorus is overall a more consistant rocker than Garchomp, it can keep on getting up rocks to help Lycanroc sweep even after you defog.

You could use an offensive set but I think defensive is better since this team is a bit weak to Zygarde.

I don't think losing out on fire coverage is that bad as long as you play smart with Magnezone.

View attachment 96259
Naive Nature
- Rock Slide
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes

I don't find Extrasensory very good on Greninja without Life Orb or Z-move, it misses out on the 2HKO on Toxapex and Mega-Venusaur most of the time.

Ice Beam helps alot against common threats like Landorus, Zygarde, Garchomp etc. and is just more useful in a majority of matchups.

View attachment 96260
Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power Fire
- Volt Switch

Small, but crucial change. Magnezone usually runs Timid so that they always outspeed a slightly invested Mega-Scizor who might try to speed-creep it.

I hope these changes are helpful, even if some are pretty small :]

Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Drill Run
- Accelerock

Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Defog
- Knock Off

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Naive Nature
- Rock Slide
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes

Thanks DragonKnightmaster for the rate! After testing I made a few changes like you suggested giving Greninja Ice Beam and replacing Garchomp. I actually tested both Landorus-T and Clefable in place of Garchomp. In the end I actually had more success with Clefable who could set rocks as well and threatens Zygarde but could avoid being crippled by status like toxic or burn as well as not getting worn down thanks to it's recovery with Soft-Boiled.

Reactions: DKM

Anish

luckynbad
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
hey,

pretty cool team, and i like how you built around an unconventional pokemon. i think you have many of the threats covered. one thing i did notice though is that it can be somewhat succeptible to balance and defensive teams.

>
id like to suggest running a mega latios over gliscor. mega latios can be a powerful wallbreaker when paired with magnezone, because of magnezone's ability to trap many of its checks such as celesteela and ferrothorn, and thanks to earthquake breaking many defensive answers. also, it checks av tapu bulu which could be somewhat annoying. it also helps versus dd zard x , as many forgo dragon claw. only pokemon like jirachi or chansey check it well, and jirachi still gets chunked by earthquake, and mega latios can slowly chip down chansey too, because of rocks clefable putting work against many teams chansey is run in like stall. it maintains a ground immunity, and a toxapex check and helps with heatran, but removes a way to block volt switch. this also loses defog to punish opposing teams. i still think you are somewhat iffy versus defensive teams, because they can somewhat play around mega latios + magnezone, however, i feel you have more of a chance with mega latios, and if you play well you can get lycanroc to sweep.

>
i would then like to suggest a scarf lando over greninja. scarf lando makes up for the volt immunity that you had lost, while also remaining as a pivot. while adding scarf lando removes the spikes you have, you can run defog to clear up opposing spikes. this is weaker to volcarona but lycanroc is still a solid check, additionally latios can also help with certain volcarona such as hp ground volcarona. losing a dark does hurt versus tapu lele which was already threatening as av magnezone can be unreliable as a check, so you have to play more carefully around it, but mega latios can sometimes revenge kill it if weakened.

you can also run eject button toxapex. eject button works well with assault vest magnezone which can sometimes be unable to trap celesteela, since it provides a good way to bring magnezone in. additionally, this can help with scizor as well,since eject button overrides u turn.

you could run a different magnezone ev spread to outspeed sciz, and maintain power with modest as well as bulk. this spread is 144hp/176+spa/192 spe. this means you trap mons in general better and still have defensive utility, just is more optimal, for outspeeding scizor and improving power.

optional change

you could choose to run thunder wave over knock off on clefable, and move knock off to lando. this means you can punish tapu lele who would want to come in on clefable, and provide speed control as well as general utility, and can cripple volc trying to set up, if lycanroc is dead, and also means you 1v1 celesteela, but it means you have to remove hp ice on lando for knock off, since having the ability to remove items versus defensive teams and versus shed shell skarmory is important here.

Latios @ Latiosite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Earthquake
- Roost

Toxapex (M) @ Eject Button
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power Ice/Knock Off
- Defog

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power Fire
- Volt Switch

Clefable (M) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Knock Off/Thunder Wave

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)