SM OU First OU - Volcarona-Unbound

Hi smogon!

This is my second RMT and my first in OU (to see my first RMT (Uber): https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/first-uber-team-offensive.3644750/#post-7978893).
I recently played OU a bit more, because I wanted to expect the variety that is in OU and UUBL. And I have to say, its really fun.
First, I played with teams that were post here, to exploy OU and train. Then I decided to build a team around some mobs I really like - so, the process:

Teambuilding process

the team is balanced btw

1545571362888.png
That is the first mob I wanted to put in. Volca is truly f*cking op, everytime I played against it, I struggled after some mispredict (ok, my fault).
Therefore, Volca is mandatory. I choosed the bulky set over the fully sweeper set (details in team-depth ofc)

1545571362888.png
1545571529387.png
next, Hoopa-U. I liked to play with hoopa because of the variety of the sets and the wallbreaker power he has. The set is maybe changeable, but I would like to keep the Djinn.

1545571362888.png
1545571529387.png
1545571659975.png
I choosed Mavile-M for the mega slot. I have to say, sometimes she works very well, but sometimes its just a epic fail. I like Mawile-M, but maybe it is changeable.

1545571362888.png
1545571529387.png
1545571659975.png
1545571849691.png
lando-t is for rocks. But because of lack of walls and defensive, I replaced lando with gliscor. Same type, rock setter and better defensive mob:

1545571362888.png
1545571529387.png
1545571659975.png
1545572118245.png
1545572151268.png
the next wall and a f*cking beast. I liked it even in Uber, but there was not the place to shine for her (him, what gender has this flying metalblock?) The place to shine is in OU, and my f*cking good, it shines nearly every match.

1545571362888.png
1545571529387.png
1545571659975.png
1545572118245.png
1545572151268.png
1545572483346.png
Last were tornadus for defog help and momentum. Defog is essentially for Volca-Teams. But it raised my weaks against ice and rock/sr, so i replaced Tornadus with another defogger with ground-immunity:

1545571362888.png
1545571529387.png
1545571659975.png
1545572118245.png
1545572151268.png
1545572619476.png
so, Rotom-W for defog-support and more immunities. I´m not overall happy with him, but he does his job (some times more, somes times less).

Team in Depth

1545573972556.png
1545573982422.png

Ramoth @ Buginium Z
1545574046795.png

Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower
- Bug Buzz
- Roost

The star. I love Volca and I love the bulky-set up set.
It is pretty standard, but works incredible good and allows me some free-switch ins and set ups/roost.
Most funny set-up is against heatran. If heatran hasn`t got toxic or roar, it is a nearly free +3. So many trans stay in to spam earth power, and I can freely set up and spam bug buzz or even z-bug buzz. Damn funny.
His sr weakness is a bit annoying, but even a switch in in ferro allows me a +1 and a bit sweep. So many ffs.

1545574327151.png
1545574339576.png

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Band
1545574372877.png

Ability: Magician
EVs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Trick

My Wallbreaker with the big hole in his chest (gains ftw). Hoopa-U is a bit difficult to play, but in double-switches, it can be a pain in the ass for others.
Trick is a bit unusual on the cb-set, but it really works often and cripple many defensive threats, wo think they can safely switch in.
As I said above, another set (like nasty plot, choice scarf, mixed) is also an option - dependent of what you guys think.

1545574625456.png
1545574632912.png

Mawile @ Mawilite
1545574665890.png

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Thunder Punch

2nd set-upper and mega-slot. Mega-Mawile really can be threathening for teams who are not prepared. But good playing and good prediciting are here, because of sucker punch and Mawiles low speed, crucial.
Thunder Punch on last slot helps me against Toxapex. Free setupps on him and OHKOing after +2. Just Scald and random burns are annoying.
So I´m not really sure about the set or even about Mawile herself. I like her and it is fun to reck teams with her, but sometimes I think Mega-lopunny could me another valiable choice.
Maybe mixed attacker Mawile?

1545574977541.png
1545574987975.png

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
1545575021794.png

Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 44 Def / 108 SpD / 112 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Roost

what should I say here? Standard-set and standard-role. Rock setter, incredible resistances and nice toxic-spammer.
Only the ice-weak, which raises here, is a problem. I haven`t got a safe switch in for Ash-Greninja for example.
Also, incredible BAD lead.

1545575384701.png
1545575392372.png

Celesteela @ Leftovers
1545575420128.png

Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 232 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Flamethrower
- Heavy Slam

I know, the team is about volca and hoopa and so on, but I just fell in love with this flying piece of metal. It turns really much games and is my primal check against Mega-Scizor, because EVERY Mega-Scizor failed against Leech Seed + Protect + Flamethrower (first two moves of course not on sciz, sciz is switched in so many times).
Also, it turns games nearly on its own. After one beast boost, it gets harder to kill, leech seed, lefties and protect makes it even harder, and so on. Helps me to check so many threats.

1545575646129.png
1545575653947.png

Rotom-Wash @ Wiki Berry
1545575676792.png

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Defog

Rotom helpes Volca with defog and helps the team with Ice-Res and momentum.
I choose wiki berry over lefties, because I like the extra 50% Hp. Pain Split is also a good answer to Volt Switch blocking switch ins like Thundurus.
Maybe I will take Scald over Hydro Pump for the burn and because this rng shit on hydro pump is f*cking shit.

Threats

Because I have not so many time any more, I will just explain the threats shortly.
Ash-Greninja can destroy teams on its own, if I fail to protect correctly.
Dragon-Types like Garchomp do also really much hurt - Mawile fails to clear. Just Celesteela can wall effectively, but if shes out, Garchomp is dangerous.
Medichamp-Mega has destroyed my team one time in a row, and Tyranitar-Mega with Ice Punch recks nearly everything in my team.

So, that was my 2nd RMT and my first selfmade OU-Team. I hope you guys liked this post and the team. Importable below.
Hopefully I can get some advices for the team! (Btw: Laddered on ~1400+)

EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Trick

Volcarona @ Buginium Z
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower
- Bug Buzz
- Roost

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 232 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Flamethrower

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 44 Def / 108 SpD / 112 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Roost

Rotom-Wash @ Wiki Berry
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Hydro Pump
- Defog

Mawile @ Mawilite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Thunder Punch

Attachments

Hello there! Nice team you have here, Volcarona is a beast if you can fit it in a team correctly. However, in this case, there's some flaws in the team that can cost entire games.
First of all, Volcarona really hates Stealth Rock, and only having only one defogger doesn't really help. Also, the lack of an Ash Gren check really holds the squad down, specially considering the fact that the frog have around 15% or more usage in ladder.

Changes (Mons)
----->

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Protect
Diancie-M has the benefit of preventing Hazards on your side, while still being able to set up them on your opponent' side. Earth Power let's you hit Tran, Pex and other Ground-Weak mons really hard, and Moonblast dents other Defoggers like Tornadus-T, Zapdos and Mew. Protect is a good tool to scout your foe' sets, like Scarf Landorus-T or Excadrill, Battle Bond/Protean Greninja, and open mind games with opposing Ferrothorns. Alternatively, you can use Diamond Storm over Earth Power, if you think that you don't need to beat Pex. Recommended to be used as a Anti-Lead (a Lead that beats other Leads).

----->

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 52 SpD / 192 Spe
Calm Nature
- Nature's Madness
- Scald / Moonblast
- Taunt
- Defog
At the cost of a third Ground inmunity, you can use Tapu Fini instead of Rotom-W as your Defogger. Fini has the added benefit of being able to check Ash/Special Protean Greninja, Heatran, and other threats while still having offensive presence. Taunt, in conjuction with Nature's Madness, lets you stallbreak safely, and Misty Surge stops any status from annoy your main breakers. Either Scald or Moonblast is up to you.

Changes (Sets)

Rocks -----> Defog
Toxic -----> Knock Off / Rock Tomb (Optional)
Since Gliscor is no longer your main Rocker, I heavily recommend to make it a Defogger instead (Volcarona really appreciate not having rocks on your side). Also, you can change Toxic with Knock Off to annoy Item-dependant Mons, like Chansey and opposing Gliscor on Turn 1, but is mostly optional. Rock Tomb is mostly for helping Hoopa-U with Speed Drops, but this option is extremely niche. EDIT: An extra point is used in Speed, as a way to be faster than Bulky Zygarde and toxic it before it uses substitute.

Importable:
https://pokepast.es/107fa530b1da0ca1
I really hope that those changes help you at scoring wins:blobwizard::psyglad:, but if you aren't happy with them, the original version is always there:psyduck:.

Last edited:

DKM

Are you feeling nervous? Are you having fun?
is a Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hey Kizzo, very cool team. Bulky Volcarona is a very frightening sweeper that some teams can struggle alot with. Not only that, it also acts as a defensive check to threats such as M-Mawile and Kartana, something which almost no other Pokemon can do. The problem with bulky Volcarona is that Heatran completely walls it, so when building with it you should have a way to heavily take advantage of, or in the case of this rate, lure Heatran. Another Issue is that the team is very slow and has no way to revenge kill alot of offensive threats, this will often leave you on the defensive or just outright beaten by some Pokemon. As you mentioned, Ash-Greninja is a threat to this team, and since it's a very common offensive threat you should have some way to deal with it.

Major Changes

645-s.png>472.png: First I suggest changing Gliscor back to Landorus-T, but this time using a Choice Scarf set. This gives you speed control and a way to force out alot of offensive threats while gaining momentum with U-turn. HP Ice allows you to soft check Zygarde aswell as Garchomp and hit opposing Landorus-T. Defog gives you a second way to remove hazards, Stone Edge or Explosion are options aswell but since you have a Volcarona two defoggers is better.

598.png> 797.png: Next I suggest using Ferrothorn over Celesteela. This will replace your Stealth Rocker and give you a secondary water resist as well as a better switch-in to Ash-Greninja. You already have Rotom-W to check flying types and Volcarona to consistently check M-Scizor, so losing Celesteela shouldn't be too costly. Stealth Rock and Leech Seed are necessary, as is Power Whip to hit said water types. The last slot can be a number of things, Knock Off removes leftovers from alot of defensive Pokemon or a Choice Band from Zygarde, Thunder Wave cripples common switchins such as Heatran and opposing Volcarona, Gyro Ball deals with fairy types such as Tapu Lele and hits Tornadus-T for heavy damage so that you can keep up rocks against it.
Minor Changes

303-m.png4 Attacks > Swords Dance: Next I suggest changing the M-Mawile set to 4 Attacks, this set is arguable better as it swaps out a setup move that is sometimes never used for a coverage move that makes it harder to switch into. As I said, bulky Volcarona appreciates Heatran being lured so one of these moves is Brick Break. This move is quite rare but can catch Heatran off guard and almost OHKO even defensive variants. It's easier to use than Focus Punch and doesn't fail because of U-turn from Pokemon such as Tornadus-T, it can also help against dual screens HO.

479w.pngWill-O-Wisp > Pain Split: A small change but I don't believe it's ever worth giving up Will-O-Wisp on Rotom-W. Burning bulky water and grass types such as Toxapex, Tangrowth, and Tapu Bulu is one of the reasons Rotom-W is so annoying. The Wiki Berry will usually give you enough recovery in alot of games anyway.

720-u.pngGunk Shot > Trick [optional]: Lastly as an optional change, consider using Gunk Shot instead of Trick on Hoopa-U. This allows you to hit fairy types such as Tapu Bulu, Clefable, and Tapu Fini. Although all of these Pokemon are already hits pretty hard by Zen Headbutt, so this is just an optional change. I also changed the nature to Jolly because it was Timid, I assume by accident.

~~~~

There are still a few flaws in the team. It lacks a reliable dark resist, so Ash-Greninja can still be a threat. Although between Ferrothorn, M-Mawile/Rotom-W, and Choice Scarf Landorus-T you have ways around it. Technically Zygarde is still a threat, although Landorus-T or Ferrothorn can tank hits. Zygarde is also being suspect tested and it seems more than likely that it will be banned which is why I didn't prioritise reliable counters, assuming you might use this team after the suspect vote. There are other threats such as M-Medicham and opposing Volcarona, but aggresive and smart playing with Landorus-T and Rotom-W along with the overall offensive nature of the team should allow you to keep momentum ahead of these threats.

I hope you like these changes, good luck n_n
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Gunk Shot

Volcarona @ Buginium Z
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower
- Bug Buzz
- Roost

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Knock Off/Thunder Wave

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Defog

Rotom-Wash @ Wiki Berry
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Thunder Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Brick Break

Hey guys, thanks for the awesome replies!

As you both said, Ash-Greninja is really a threat and I saw alot of times. So changes especially to check him are crucial and I think you both had very nice options.
Because the suggestions are quite different, I will test both teams and see, how they work.
But as I said, thank you both, this helped me a lot :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)