VGC First Trick Room Team VGC 2018

Hey This is my First Trick Room Team really like the concept of Oranguru and wanna build around Instruct and the Room.

Oranguru
Nature SASSY
Ability : Telepathy
Item : Mental Herb
Trick Room
Psychic
Instruct
Protect
EVS 252 HP / 140 DEF / 112 SpDe
0 Speed IV

Description : Obviously the Most important Piece of the Team Lead with Oranguru to set the room and then essentially just spam instruct with a heavy hitting Attacker or Special Attacker alongside of it. Mental Herb to Avoid any Taunts and EVS spread for the Bulk.

download.png

SNORLAX
@ Iapapa Berry
Nature- Brave
Ability : Gluttony
CURSE
High Horsepower
Recycle
Return
EVS : 132 HP / 144 ATK / 124DEF/ 108 SpD
0 Speed IV
Description : So your Standard Gluttony CURSELAX when i'm able to plan to start the Lax alongside Oranguru being able to Throw down Curse and Have Oranguru use instruct to have Snorlax Curse twice increasing bulk and attack. Then just making sure to Stay healthy with the berry and Recycling. Return being the Main Stab but having some Coverage with High Horsepower.

incineroar.png

Incineroar
Nature : Brave
Ability : Blaze
@ Darkium- Z
Darkest Lariat
Flare Blitz
Fake out
Protect
EVS : 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 DEF
0 IV Speed

Description : Incineroar is a Bulky Sweeper and with Access to Fake out allows to get that little chip damage. And he also has great STAB moves in Flare Blitz and Darkest Lariat with Darkium-Z Malicious Moonsault Hits like a Truck and normally will down the Speedy Frail Sweepers.

download (1).png

Rhyperior
Nature : Brave
@ Life Orb
Ability : Lightning Rod
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Ice Punch
Protect
EVS : 252 ATTACK / 126 DEF / 126 HP
0 Speed IVS

Description : So this is the Mon i am Questioning removing just don't know what else to place in this team for him so any suggestions are appreciated. Going Lightning rod on the Ability just due to how common Tapu KOKO is Ran so free switch ins on any Electric type moves also getting that little attack increase. Also Paired with Oranguru Rock Slide and Earthquake with instruct hit heavy Especially with the Life orb and hopefully the Lightning Rod Absorb. Then Ice punch for Coverage and Standard Protect to finish it out.

mantine.png

Mantine
Leftovers
Ability : Water Absorb
Nature : BOLD
EVS 248 HP / 130 Defense / 130 SpD
Roost
Scald
Protect
Toxic
0 IVS Speed
Description: Also another Mon i'm on the fence about but planning to use Mantine as Bulky Support. Plan to Just try and inflict Status Effects making it easier to chip away at the opponent's mons and allowing my Sweepers to have an Easier job cleaning up. Also with rhyperior and incineroar having such a Heavy Weakness to Water, Water Absorb allows a Free Switch in on Predicting water moves trying to hit on rhyperior and incineroar. Just plan on having Mantine out with a heavy attack taking some of the pressure of the Attack and having the ability to inflict statuses

Mega Aggron
Item : Aggronite
Ability: Filter
Nature : Careful
EVS: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Moves :
Curse
Heavy Slam
Sleep Talk
Rest
0 IVS SPEED
Description : So this also has been one i'm unsure of as well just a few different options. So with this Setup just want to even out the Bulkiness of Aggron making him more sustainable against Special Attackers with the insane bulk to Defense already and the ability to spam Curse to bulk more bulk and attack figured would be good to invest in total Bulk rather then one sided Defense. Another pokemon that could run along side Oranguru and with Instruct Double Curse set up to start whether to Set up to Wall break or be a wall itself. Two Switch ins for Fire types in Mantine and Incineroar that resist Fire Type moves and allow me to transition and keep Aggron healthy.

Conclusion : Just looking for some Feedback or ideas I know i have a big weakness to Ground Types and Fighting with this Team but not to many Fighting type mons are used in the current Meta.
Thanks Feedback Appreciated

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Quick phone rate incoming!!

Hey Andrew Snyder. Despite the fact that I'm pretty sure this is just your Battle Spot Doubles RMT that you deleted and reposted, I was going to drop a quick rate on that one anyway so I'll drop it here instead. I think you probably have the right idea going with the start of the team, but the other half could use some work.

I'll start with the good half - CurseLax + Oranguru is a good start. I think Foul Play or Ally Switch are better options on Oranguru over Psychic: the former allows it to get good damage off on physical threats (does about 40ish to Landorus-T iirc), while the latter can help to protect Snorlax in a pinch. Incineroar is also a good Pokemon, but I think you want Incinium Z instead of Darkinium Z to trigger Malicious Moonsault. Also, I'd suggest U-turn over Protect: when you're leading Incineroar/Oranguru to guarantee the TR setup, U-turn is handy to get out of there relatively safely to bring in one of your more powerful backups.

Here's where the team gets a little shaky: Rhyperior is fine, but for a team based around CurseLax, it doesn't address a lot of Snorlax's weaknesses: the most common Haze user, for example (Tapu Fini) threatens an OHKO on Rhyperior too; it's similarly checked by burns and Intimidate; and it doesn't help to break through Snorlax's most common defensive check, Celesteela.

Then come Mega Aggron and Mantine: both of these Pokemon are completely unviable in most Doubles formats, including VGC 18. Aggron just doesn't do enough damage to warrant its Mega spot, and you really want to be doing as much damage as possible during your TR turns. Same with Mantine: stall is unviable in Doubles since your opponent can just double target you whenever they feel like doing so. Stall will also stall out your own turns of TR, which is a waste.

The team is currently a full TR team, but I think Snorlax works better on semi-TR. Here's what the team needs:
- Intimidate: to help Snorlax set up
- Electric-type: to check Tapu Fini and Celesteela
- special attackers: because currently your whole team is physical and hence vulnerable to Intimidate
- a Steel-type would also be helpful to check Tapu Lele, since its Psychic Terrain blocks Fake Out and makes TR harder to set. Anything that can OHKO it works too, though to a lesser degree
- a Tapu would be nice to have Terrain control
- a Tyranitar check: Tyranitar is the most common Pokemon capable of OHKOing Oranguru (CB Crunch or Dark-Z)

Here's some three-mon cores which can supply most of these needs. I'd suggest trying one of them over your current Rhyperior / Mega Aggron / Mantine and seeing how that works.
- Tapu Koko / Mega Metagross / Landorus-Therian
- Zapdos / Tapu Fini / Landorus-Therian
- Mega Salamence / Rotom-Wash / Ferrothorn

Let me know how these suggestions work for you. Good luck with the team!

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Both Mega Ampharos and Thundurus are pretty outclassed by Zapdos imo. Mega Salamence is cool, and it can OHKO less bulky Tapu Lele with Double-Edge, so it's not too bad, but I think having a strong Electric-type is very important on CurseLax teams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)