move 4: Substitute / Hidden Power Fighting
item: Fairium Z
ability: Levitate
nature: Timid
evs: 36 Def / 196 SpA / 76 SpD / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Dazzling Gleam is an excellent coverage move for Gastly, hitting Fighting- and Dark-types quite hard. However, the main function of Dazzling Gleam on this set is to give Gastly access to Twinkle Tackle, a powerful Z-Move that OHKOes Mienfoo, certain Timburr sets, and Vullaby after Stealth Rock damage. Sludge Bomb and Shadow Ball are powerful STAB attacks with good coverage, especially against foes such as Snivy, Spritzee, and Pumpkaboo-XL. Substitute helps Gastly protect itself from a single move, lets it avoid Sucker Punch and status moves such as Foongus's Spore, and lets Gastly avoid having to predict a switch. Hidden Power Fighting can also be used to hit Pawniard, a Pokemon that otherwise walls Gastly.

Set Details
========

Fairium Z lets Gastly use Twinkle Tackle to surprise some of its checks, such as Vullaby, Mienfoo, and Timburr, and deal heavy damage. A Timid nature and 196 Speed EVs are used to maximize Gastly's Speed and let it outspeed Mienfoo, Snivy, and Cottonee. 196 Special Attack EVs let Gastly do a fair amount of damage. The rest of Gastly's EVs are put into its defenses to let it survive for as long as possible. Levitate gives Gastly an immunity to Ground-types moves, allowing it to switch in slightly easier against certain Pokemon such as Choice Scarf Mudbray and Hippopotas. If using Hidden Power Fighting, Gastly should use an EV spread of 40 Def / 200 SpA / 200 Spe to maximize Special Attack and Speed.

Usage Tips
========

To properly utilize Twinkle Tackle, it is a good idea to try and bait in threats Gastly can KO with it, namely Timburr, Mienfoo, and Vullaby. Before doing this, however, it is usually best to scout how your opponent will react to Gastly, as Twinkle Tackle can only be used once per battle. This usually consists of checking what usually switches into Gastly and what moves said Pokemon usually uses. It's best not to attack before using Twinkle Tackle, as this would reveal that Gastly lacks a Life Orb, leading your opponent to most likely believe it is either Choice Scarf or Fairium Z. This is especially important if the opponent has something Gastly can lure in. Don't be afraid to attack, however, as Gastly can still do a lot without the element of surprise. In general, it is good to not switch Gastly into attacks, and it's preferred to get Gastly in through a U-turn or Volt Switch or after one of its teammates has fallen. Substitute should be used on a predicted switch and against Sucker Punch users to safely protect Gastly. It can also be used to avoid status from certain Pokemon such as Spore Foongus. Be sure to always avoid being in against Pursuit trappers, such as Alolan Grimer. It is also best that Gastly is only used when it can ensure a KO on a foe, as it is too frail to take nearly any damage.

Team Options
========

Note that Twinkle Tackle Gastly should be used on teams that appreciate a lure to Timburr, Mienfoo, or Vullaby, as if teams don't need this, Life Orb Gastly would work better. Pokemon that appreciate the removal of Fighting-types and Vullaby, such as Scraggy and Carvanha, appreciate Gastly's ability to lure in and KO said threats. Abra in particular appreciates Twinkle Tackle's ability to remove Vullaby and severely weaken Alolan Grimer and Pawniard. Gastly greatly appreciates Stealth Rock support from setters such as Pawniard, Ferroseed, Onix, and Dwebble to help it break through more Pokemon, and in return, Gastly can block Rapid Spin for them. Fighting-types, namely Mienfoo and Timburr, are very useful to help Gastly beat Dark-types, Pawniard in particular, as well as many using Knock Off to cripple foes, and Gastly can deal with Fairy-types in return. Slow pivots, namely Mienfoo, Chinchou, and Vullaby, can help Gastly get onto the field without taking any damage from attacks.

Last edited:
amcheck, implement if you want

[SET]
-Remove Hidden Power Fighting, it's not very useful without Substitute because Gastly can die to Sucker Punch.

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

-Remove Staryu reference, Twinkle Tackle can't OHKO unless it hasn't got an Eviolite (plus it outspeeds)
-Substitute also lets Gastly avoid status from Pokemon like Foongus and ease prediction
-Remove Hidden Power Fighting

Set Details
========

-Briefly give examples of the checks that are hit by Twinkle Tackle like before
-Make it clear Mienfoo, Snivy and Cottonee are just examples (...Pokemon such as Mienfoo, Snivy, and Cottonee)
-Remove Levitate because it's Gastly's only ability and not very important

Usage Tips
========

-Gastly should usually only attack when it is going to KO the foe to ensure that it won't have to take a hit
-Substitute should also be used to avoid status from Pokemon like Foongus
-Watch out for Pursuit trappers like Alolan Grimer

Team Options
========

-Pokemon that like the removal of Fighting-types and Vullaby like Scraggy and Carvanha (this should be the first point)
-Make it clear the Stealth Rock users are examples
-Give examples of Fighting-types
-Gastly deals with fairies for Fighting-types in return
-Pancham isn't very relevant, use Vullaby instead.
-Slow pivots help Gastly get onto the field without taking any damage.

good work

Nineage

Pugnacious.
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Will go line by line on this amcheck:
[SET]
-Remove Hidden Power Fighting, it's not very useful without Substitute because Gastly can die to Sucker Punch.
This is not true imo - being able to hit Pawniard on the switch is nice, and often you can bluff substitute and just immediately click hp fight in a 1v1. Together, this makes hp fight worthy of staying on the set.

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

-Remove Staryu reference, Twinkle Tackle can't OHKO unless it hasn't got an Eviolite (plus it outspeeds) Agree
-Substitute also lets Gastly avoid status from Pokemon like Foongus and ease prediction Agree
-Remove Hidden Power Fighting Disagree- see above

Set Details
========

-Briefly give examples of the checks that are hit by Twinkle Tackle like before Its not strictly necessary to do this again since it just got done, I'll leave it up to Drew whether to implement
-Make it clear Mienfoo, Snivy and Cottonee are just examples (...Pokemon such as Mienfoo, Snivy, and Cottonee) Agree
-Remove Levitate because it's Gastly's only ability and not very important Again up to preference but I'd lean towards agreeing

Usage Tips
========
-Gastly should usually only attack when it is going to KO the foe to ensure that it won't have to take a hit Yes BUT I'd change this to say when it predicts it will KO the foe to keep the possibility of attacking on a predicted double switch attempt
-Substitute should also be used to avoid status from Pokemon like Foongus Agree
-Watch out for Pursuit trappers like Alolan Grimer Agree

Team Options Agree with all of these
========

-Pokemon that like the removal of Fighting-types and Vullaby like Scraggy and Carvanha (this should be the first point) Very strongly agree

I really like this amcheck except in the places where I disagreed above. The only thing I have to add is that you should include the modified HP fight ev spread in set details.

Implement and 1/3, amcheck STAMPED

Will go line by line on this amcheck:
[SET]
This is not true imo - being able to hit Pawniard on the switch is nice, and often you can bluff substitute and just immediately click hp fight in a 1v1. Together, this makes hp fight worthy of staying on the set.

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

-Remove Staryu reference, Twinkle Tackle can't OHKO unless it hasn't got an Eviolite (plus it outspeeds) Agree
-Substitute also lets Gastly avoid status from Pokemon like Foongus and ease prediction Agree
-Remove Hidden Power Fighting Disagree- see above

Set Details
========

-Briefly give examples of the checks that are hit by Twinkle Tackle like before Its not strictly necessary to do this again since it just got done, I'll leave it up to Drew whether to implement
-Make it clear Mienfoo, Snivy and Cottonee are just examples (...Pokemon such as Mienfoo, Snivy, and Cottonee) Agree
-Remove Levitate because it's Gastly's only ability and not very important Again up to preference but I'd lean towards agreeing

Usage Tips
========
-Gastly should usually only attack when it is going to KO the foe to ensure that it won't have to take a hit Yes BUT I'd change this to say when it predicts it will KO the foe to keep the possibility of attacking on a predicted double switch attempt
-Substitute should also be used to avoid status from Pokemon like Foongus Agree
-Watch out for Pursuit trappers like Alolan Grimer Agree

Team Options Agree with all of these
========

-Pokemon that like the removal of Fighting-types and Vullaby like Scraggy and Carvanha (this should be the first point) Very strongly agree

I really like this amcheck except in the places where I disagreed above. The only thing I have to add is that you should include the modified HP fight ev spread in set details.

Implement and 1/3, amcheck STAMPED
implemented

Hey that is a nice analysis. Just read something that puzzled me.

• But, the main function of Dazzling Gleam on this set is to give Gastly access to Twinkle Tackle, a powerful Z-move that OHKOes Mienfoo and certain Timburr sets, OHKOes Vullaby after Stealth Rock damage, and has a chance to OHKO Berry Juice Snivy.
Considering that it has sludge bomb that easily OHKOes Snivy, should Snivy be mentioned under targets for Twinkle Tackle? Perhaps you could enlighten me on something that i missed out.

Hey that is a nice analysis. Just read something that puzzled me.

Considering that it has sludge bomb that easily OHKOes Snivy, should Snivy be mentioned under targets for Twinkle Tackle? Perhaps you could enlighten me on something that i missed out.
Man I'm just trying to get a 3rd example >_>

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
not sure if you need a third example, foo/timb & vulla are the primary targets for fairium z. mentioning snivy (or most other pokemon) would falsely lead them to believe that it is the best option against those pkmn. could be worth mentioning that it chunks grimer-a too, making it useful on teams that specialize whittling grimer (gas + snivy / gas + abra).

moves mentions that pawn is gastly's best check; consider saying "one of gastly's best checks" since best check is arguably grimer-a

when talking about lack of item, you mentioned choice scarf or fairium; hex sets do run berry juice as well

in usage tips, it's probably worth highlighting the fact that your team should take advantage of tt gastly somehow, otherwise you might as well just run lo. this is pretty big imo

i don't know if usage tips is the place for such information, but it'd probably be worthwhile mentioning (like most lures) that tt gastly works best when you have a comfortable understanding of how your opponent will react to gastly. for example, forcing something out that your opponent wants to keep (snubb, spritz, snivy and so on) is often a prime opportunity to catch something incoming with fairium. on the other hand, if you just switch gastly in after foo KOs something, the opponent might realize something is up because gastly doesn't normally KO evio foo. it's all about picking the right opportunity to use tt

somewhere you should mention to be wary of savvy opponents that scout for fairium (for example, directly switching out of evio foo into foongus), since you only have one shot and you don't want to miss it

not sure if you need a third example, foo/timb & vulla are the primary targets for fairium z. mentioning snivy (or most other pokemon) would falsely lead them to believe that it is the best option against those pkmn. could be worth mentioning that it chunks grimer-a too, making it useful on teams that specialize whittling grimer (gas + snivy / gas + abra).

moves mentions that pawn is gastly's best check; consider saying "one of gastly's best checks" since best check is arguably grimer-a

when talking about lack of item, you mentioned choice scarf or fairium; hex sets do run berry juice as well

in usage tips, it's probably worth highlighting the fact that your team should take advantage of tt gastly somehow, otherwise you might as well just run lo. this is pretty big imo

i don't know if usage tips is the place for such information, but it'd probably be worthwhile mentioning (like most lures) that tt gastly works best when you have a comfortable understanding of how your opponent will react to gastly. for example, forcing something out that your opponent wants to keep (snubb, spritz, snivy and so on) is often a prime opportunity to catch something incoming with fairium. on the other hand, if you just switch gastly in after foo KOs something, the opponent might realize something is up because gastly doesn't normally KO evio foo. it's all about picking the right opportunity to use tt

somewhere you should mention to be wary of savvy opponents that scout for fairium (for example, directly switching out of evio foo into foongus), since you only have one shot and you don't want to miss it
implemented

Hilomilo

High-low My-low
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Moves
* I don't really like your Sludge Bomb line. While nothing you state in it is wrong, it just lacks substance. Give relevant examples of Pokemon that it hits hard, like Snivy, Snubbull, and Spritzee.
* I also don't particularly enjoy the Shadow Ball line. Telling us that only Dark- and Normal-types resist it isn't particularly useful information since most people reading that will already know that, so just say that the move offers really good overall coverage and hits bulky threats like Pumpkaboo-Xl and Slowpoke very hard.
* Refer to Pawniard as a Pokemon that otherwise walls Gastly rather than one of its best checks (idk, just sounds odd that way).

Set Details
* In your Fairium Z line, give some examples of Gastly's checks.
* Give examples of threats that with Levitate, it's easier for Gastly to switch into (Choice-locked Mudbray and Hippopotas are the best ones).

Usage Tips
* The first line isn't super clear here. Do you mean bait in threats KOed by Twinkle Tackle, or by Gastly's other attacks? Clean it up a little, and also say that it baits in checks (give examples!).
* What exactly does 'scouting out how opponents will react to Gastly' mean? Elaborate a little, because right now that line doesn't make too much sense.
* In your third and fourth lines, just stress that you should be wary of attacking if there's a foe on the other team that Gastly will likely try luring in with TT.

Team Options
* Give some examples of Pokemon that can lure in Mienfoo and Timburr, and say that they allow for Gastly to properly dispose of either threat.

This looks good overall, just make sure that some of the more confusing lines you have here are cleaned up for write-up. 2/3

Moves
* I don't really like your Sludge Bomb line. While nothing you state in it is wrong, it just lacks substance. Give relevant examples of Pokemon that it hits hard, like Snivy, Snubbull, and Spritzee.
* I also don't particularly enjoy the Shadow Ball line. Telling us that only Dark- and Normal-types resist it isn't particularly useful information since most people reading that will already know that, so just say that the move offers really good overall coverage and hits bulky threats like Pumpkaboo-Xl and Slowpoke very hard.
* Refer to Pawniard as a Pokemon that otherwise walls Gastly rather than one of its best checks (idk, just sounds odd that way).

Set Details
* In your Fairium Z line, give some examples of Gastly's checks.
* Give examples of threats that with Levitate, it's easier for Gastly to switch into (Choice-locked Mudbray and Hippopotas are the best ones).

Usage Tips
* The first line isn't super clear here. Do you mean bait in threats KOed by Twinkle Tackle, or by Gastly's other attacks? Clean it up a little, and also say that it baits in checks (give examples!).
* What exactly does 'scouting out how opponents will react to Gastly' mean? Elaborate a little, because right now that line doesn't make too much sense.
* In your third and fourth lines, just stress that you should be wary of attacking if there's a foe on the other team that Gastly will likely try luring in with TT.

Team Options
* Give some examples of Pokemon that can lure in Mienfoo and Timburr, and say that they allow for Gastly to properly dispose of either threat.

This looks good overall, just make sure that some of the more confusing lines you have here are cleaned up for write-up. 2/3
Did all that but the last one, will talk on Discord since I don't think that should be included

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Moves
  • You don't have to remind the user individually that Sludge Bomb and Shadow Ball are Gastly's STAB attacks. You can combine them into a sentence like "Sludge Bomb and Shadow Ball are powerful STAB attacks with good coverage, especially against foes such as Snivy, Spritzee, and Pumpkaboo."
  • Just say "Substitute lets Gastly avoid Sucker Punch and ..." and don't forget to mention that it helps ease prediction on the switch, one of its main functions
Team Options
  • You didn't even mention Abra!! Twinkle Tackle bops Vullaby and chunks Pawniard and A-Grimer, so it can do a pretty good job of taking out those checks.
QC 3/3

lotiasite

undedgy
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
hi, gp 1/2

[SET]
name: Twinkle Tackle
move 1: Dazzling Gleam
move 2: Sludge Bomb
move 3: Shadow Ball

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Dazzling Gleam is an excellent coverage move for Gastly, hitting Fighting- and Dark-types quite hard. But However, the main function of Dazzling Gleam on this set is to give Gastly access to Twinkle Tackle, a powerful Z-Move that OHKOes Mienfoo, certain Timburr sets, and Vullaby after Stealth Rock damage. Sludge Bomb and Shadow Ball are powerful STAB attacks with good coverage, especially against foes such as Snivy, Spritzee, and Pumpkaboo (any pumpkaboo in particular?). Substitute helps Gastly protect itself from a single move, (AC) and lets it avoid Sucker Punch as well as and status moves such as a Foongus's Spore,(comma) and It also lets Gastly avoid having to predict a switch. Hidden Power Fighting can also be used to hit Pawniard, a Pokemon that otherwise walls Gastly.

Set Details
========

Fairium Z lets Gastly use Twinkle Tackle to surprise some of its checks, such as Vullaby, Mienfoo, and Timburr, and deal heavy damage. A Timid nature and 196 Speed EVs are used to maximize Gastly's Speed and let it outspeed Mienfoo, Snivy, (AC) and Cottonee. 196 Special Attack EVs are also invested to let Gastly do a fair amount of damage. The rest of Gastly's EVs are put into Gastly's defenses to let it survive for as long as possible. Levitate lets Gastly gain gives Gastly (little bit of repetition with "lets Gastly...") an immunity to Ground-types moves, allowing it to switch in slightly easier against certain Pokemon such as a Choice Scarf Mudbray or and Hippopotas. If using Hidden Power Fighting, Gastly should use the EV spread of 40 Def / 200 SpA / 200 Spe to maximize Special Attack and Speed.

Usage Tips
========

To properly utilize Twinkle Tackle, it is a good idea to try and bait in threats Gastly can KO with it, namely Timburr, Mienfoo, and Vullaby. Before doing this, (AC) however, it is usually best to scout how your opponent will react to Gastly, as Twinkle Tackle can only be used once per battle. This usually consists of checking what usually switches into Gastly and what moves said Pokemon usually uses. It's best not to attack before using Twinkle Tackle, as this would reveal that Gastly lacks a Life Orb, leading your opponent to most likely believe you are either Choice Scarf or Fairium Z. This is especially important if the opponent has something Gastly can lure in. But Don't be afraid to attack, (AC) however, as Gastly can still do a lot without the element of surprise. In general, it is good to not switch Gastly into attacks, and it's preferred to get Gastly in as a result of a U-turn or Volt Switch, (RC) or after one of its teammates has fallen. Substitute should be used on a predicted switch or against Sucker Punch users to safely protect Gastly. It can also be used to avoid status from certain Pokemon such as Spore Foongus. Be sure to always avoid being in against Pursuit trappers, such as Alolan Grimer. Also its It is also best that Gastly is only used when it can ensure a KO on a foe, as it is too frail to take nearly any damage. It is very notable that Twinckle Twinkle Tackle Gastly should be used on teams that appreciate a lure to Timburr, Mienfoo, or Vullaby, as if teams don't need this, (AC) Life Orb Gastly would work better.

Team Options
========

Pokemon who that appreciate the removal of Fighting-types and Vullaby, such as Scraggy and Carvanha, (AC) appreciate Gastly's ability to lure in and KO said threats. Abra in particular appreciates Twinkle Tackle's ability to remove Vullaby and severely weaken Alolan Grimer and Pawniard. Gastly greatly appreciates Stealth Rock support from setters such as Pawniard, Ferroseed, Onix, or and Dwebble to help it break through more Pokemon, and in return, (AC) Gastly can block Rapid Spin for them. Fighting-types, namely Mienfoo and Timburr, are very useful to help Gastly beat Dark-types, Pawniard in particular, as well as many using Knock Off to cripple opponents foes, and Gastly can deal with Fairy-types in return. Slow pivots, namely Mienfoo, Chinchou, and Vullaby, (AC) can help Gastly get onto the field without taking any damage from attacks.

yay for sets

hi, gp 1/2

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Dazzling Gleam is an excellent coverage move for Gastly, hitting Fighting- and Dark-types quite hard. But However, the main function of Dazzling Gleam on this set is to give Gastly access to Twinkle Tackle, a powerful Z-Move that OHKOes Mienfoo, certain Timburr sets, and Vullaby after Stealth Rock damage. Sludge Bomb and Shadow Ball are powerful STAB attacks with good coverage, especially against foes such as Snivy, Spritzee, and Pumpkaboo (any pumpkaboo in particular?). Substitute helps Gastly protect itself from a single move, (AC) and lets it avoid Sucker Punch as well as and status moves such as a Foongus's Spore,(comma) and It also lets Gastly avoid having to predict a switch. Hidden Power Fighting can also be used to hit Pawniard, a Pokemon that otherwise walls Gastly.

Set Details
========

Fairium Z lets Gastly use Twinkle Tackle to surprise some of its checks, such as Vullaby, Mienfoo, and Timburr, and deal heavy damage. A Timid nature and 196 Speed EVs are used to maximize Gastly's Speed and let it outspeed Mienfoo, Snivy, (AC) and Cottonee. 196 Special Attack EVs are also invested to let Gastly do a fair amount of damage. The rest of Gastly's EVs are put into Gastly's defenses to let it survive for as long as possible. Levitate lets Gastly gain gives Gastly (little bit of repetition with "lets Gastly...") an immunity to Ground-types moves, allowing it to switch in slightly easier against certain Pokemon such as a Choice Scarf Mudbray or and Hippopotas. If using Hidden Power Fighting, Gastly should use the EV spread of 40 Def / 200 SpA / 200 Spe to maximize Special Attack and Speed.

Usage Tips
========

To properly utilize Twinkle Tackle, it is a good idea to try and bait in threats Gastly can KO with it, namely Timburr, Mienfoo, and Vullaby. Before doing this, (AC) however, it is usually best to scout how your opponent will react to Gastly, as Twinkle Tackle can only be used once per battle. This usually consists of checking what usually switches into Gastly and what moves said Pokemon usually uses. It's best not to attack before using Twinkle Tackle, as this would reveal that Gastly lacks a Life Orb, leading your opponent to most likely believe you are either Choice Scarf or Fairium Z. This is especially important if the opponent has something Gastly can lure in. But Don't be afraid to attack, (AC) however, as Gastly can still do a lot without the element of surprise. In general, it is good to not switch Gastly into attacks, and it's preferred to get Gastly in as a result of a U-turn or Volt Switch, (RC) or after one of its teammates has fallen. Substitute should be used on a predicted switch or against Sucker Punch users to safely protect Gastly. It can also be used to avoid status from certain Pokemon such as Spore Foongus. Be sure to always avoid being in against Pursuit trappers, such as Alolan Grimer. Also its It is also best that Gastly is only used when it can ensure a KO on a foe, as it is too frail to take nearly any damage. It is very notable that Twinckle Twinkle Tackle Gastly should be used on teams that appreciate a lure to Timburr, Mienfoo, or Vullaby, as if teams don't need this, (AC) Life Orb Gastly would work better.

Team Options
========

Pokemon who that appreciate the removal of Fighting-types and Vullaby, such as Scraggy and Carvanha, (AC) appreciate Gastly's ability to lure in and KO said threats. Abra in particular appreciates Twinkle Tackle's ability to remove Vullaby and severely weaken Alolan Grimer and Pawniard. Gastly greatly appreciates Stealth Rock support from setters such as Pawniard, Ferroseed, Onix, or and Dwebble to help it break through more Pokemon, and in return, (AC) Gastly can block Rapid Spin for them. Fighting-types, namely Mienfoo and Timburr, are very useful to help Gastly beat Dark-types, Pawniard in particular, as well as many using Knock Off to cripple opponents foes, and Gastly can deal with Fairy-types in return. Slow pivots, namely Mienfoo, Chinchou, and Vullaby, (AC) can help Gastly get onto the field without taking any damage from attacks.

yay for sets
Yay for quick checks :)

Implemented and ready for 2

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Remove Add Comments (AC)= add comma (RC)= remove comma (AH)= add hyphen (RH)= remove hyphen
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Dazzling Gleam is an excellent coverage move for Gastly, hitting Fighting- and Dark-types quite hard. However, the main function of Dazzling Gleam on this set is to give Gastly access to Twinkle Tackle, a powerful Z-Move that OHKOes Mienfoo, certain Timburr sets, and Vullaby after Stealth Rock damage. Sludge Bomb and Shadow Ball are powerful STAB attacks with good coverage, especially against foes such as Snivy, Spritzee, and Pumpkaboo-XL. Substitute helps Gastly protect itself from a single move, lets it avoid Sucker Punch and status moves such as Foongus's Spore, and lets Gastly avoid having to predict a switch. Hidden Power Fighting can also be used to hit Pawniard, a Pokemon that otherwise walls Gastly.

Set Details
========

Fairium Z lets Gastly use Twinkle Tackle to surprise some of its checks, such as Vullaby, Mienfoo, and Timburr, and deal heavy damage. A Timid nature and 196 Speed EVs are used to maximize Gastly's Speed and let it outspeed Mienfoo, Snivy, and Cottonee. 196 Special Attack EVs are also invested to let Gastly do a fair amount of damage. The rest of Gastly's EVs are put into Gastly's its defenses to let it survive for as long as possible. Levitate gives Gastly an immunity to Ground-types moves, allowing it to switch in slightly easier against certain Pokemon such as Choice Scarf Mudbray and Hippopotas. If using Hidden Power Fighting, Gastly should use the an EV spread of 40 Def / 200 SpA / 200 Spe to maximize Special Attack and Speed.

Usage Tips
========

To properly utilize Twinkle Tackle, it is a good idea to try and bait in threats Gastly can KO with it, namely Timburr, Mienfoo, and Vullaby. Before doing this, however, it is usually best to scout how your opponent will react to Gastly, as Twinkle Tackle can only be used once per battle. This usually consists of checking what usually switches into Gastly and what moves said Pokemon usually uses. It's best not to attack before using Twinkle Tackle, as this would reveal that Gastly lacks a Life Orb, leading your opponent to most likely believe you are it is either Choice Scarf or Fairium Z. This is especially important if the opponent has something Gastly can lure in. Don't be afraid to attack, however, as Gastly can still do a lot without the element of surprise. In general, it is good to not switch Gastly into attacks, and it's preferred to get Gastly in as a result of through a U-turn or Volt Switch or after one of its teammates has fallen. Substitute should be used on a predicted switch or and against Sucker Punch users to safely protect Gastly. It can also be used to avoid status from certain Pokemon such as Spore Foongus. Be sure to always avoid being in against Pursuit trappers, such as Alolan Grimer. It is also best that Gastly is only used when it can ensure a KO on a foe, as it is too frail to take nearly any damage. It is very notable that Twinkle Tackle Gastly should be used on teams that appreciate a lure to Timburr, Mienfoo, or Vullaby, as if teams don't need this, Life Orb Gastly would work better. (First sentence in Team Options)

Team Options
========

Note that Twinkle Tackle Gastly should be used on teams that appreciate a lure to Timburr, Mienfoo, or Vullaby, as if teams don't need this, Life Orb Gastly would work better. Pokemon that appreciate the removal of Fighting-types and Vullaby, such as Scraggy and Carvanha, appreciate Gastly's ability to lure in and KO said threats. Abra in particular appreciates Twinkle Tackle's ability to remove Vullaby and severely weaken Alolan Grimer and Pawniard. Gastly greatly appreciates Stealth Rock support from setters such as Pawniard, Ferroseed, Onix, and Dwebble to help it break through more Pokemon, and in return, Gastly can block Rapid Spin for them. Fighting-types, namely Mienfoo and Timburr, are very useful to help Gastly beat Dark-types, Pawniard in particular, as well as many using Knock Off to cripple foes, and Gastly can deal with Fairy-types in return. Slow pivots, namely Mienfoo, Chinchou, and Vullaby, can help Gastly get onto the field without taking any damage from attacks.
GP 2/2

Remove Add Comments (AC)= add comma (RC)= remove comma (AH)= add hyphen (RH)= remove hyphen
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Set Details
========

Fairium Z lets Gastly use Twinkle Tackle to surprise some of its checks, such as Vullaby, Mienfoo, and Timburr, and deal heavy damage. A Timid nature and 196 Speed EVs are used to maximize Gastly's Speed and let it outspeed Mienfoo, Snivy, and Cottonee. 196 Special Attack EVs are also invested to let Gastly do a fair amount of damage. The rest of Gastly's EVs are put into Gastly's its defenses to let it survive for as long as possible. Levitate gives Gastly an immunity to Ground-types moves, allowing it to switch in slightly easier against certain Pokemon such as Choice Scarf Mudbray and Hippopotas. If using Hidden Power Fighting, Gastly should use the an EV spread of 40 Def / 200 SpA / 200 Spe to maximize Special Attack and Speed.

Usage Tips
========

To properly utilize Twinkle Tackle, it is a good idea to try and bait in threats Gastly can KO with it, namely Timburr, Mienfoo, and Vullaby. Before doing this, however, it is usually best to scout how your opponent will react to Gastly, as Twinkle Tackle can only be used once per battle. This usually consists of checking what usually switches into Gastly and what moves said Pokemon usually uses. It's best not to attack before using Twinkle Tackle, as this would reveal that Gastly lacks a Life Orb, leading your opponent to most likely believe you are it is either Choice Scarf or Fairium Z. This is especially important if the opponent has something Gastly can lure in. Don't be afraid to attack, however, as Gastly can still do a lot without the element of surprise. In general, it is good to not switch Gastly into attacks, and it's preferred to get Gastly in as a result of through a U-turn or Volt Switch or after one of its teammates has fallen. Substitute should be used on a predicted switch or and against Sucker Punch users to safely protect Gastly. It can also be used to avoid status from certain Pokemon such as Spore Foongus. Be sure to always avoid being in against Pursuit trappers, such as Alolan Grimer. It is also best that Gastly is only used when it can ensure a KO on a foe, as it is too frail to take nearly any damage. It is very notable that Twinkle Tackle Gastly should be used on teams that appreciate a lure to Timburr, Mienfoo, or Vullaby, as if teams don't need this, Life Orb Gastly would work better. (First sentence in Team Options)

Team Options
========

GP 2/2
done!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)