Gastrodon [QC 0/3]

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
Overview
########

- Great defensive typing coupled with solid defensive stats and reliable recovery allow it to take on many prominent threats in the tier
- Storm Drain give it a niche as one of the best counters to Water-types in the tier.
- Pretty good offensive stats allow it to dent most Pokemon and even run an offensive tank set.
- Falls to pretty much any Grass-type
- Can be overpowered with continuous physical attacks

Mixed Wall
##############
name: Mixed Wall
move 1: Earth Power / Earthquake
move 2: Scald
move 3: Recover
move 4: Toxic / Ice Beam
ability: Storm Drain
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SpD
nature: Calm

Moves
=======

- Earth Power hits most things for good damage and provides strong STAB, while being boosted if Storm Drain activated
- However, Earthquake deals more damage to specially defensive Water-types that it will often face in battle
- Scald is excellent for a consistent STAB move and the burn chance
- Recover brings all of Gastrodon's unique traits together with reliable recovery
- Toxic cripples stuff
- Ice Beam is excellent though for dealing with Hydreigon, Flygon, and most Grass-types

Set Details
=========

- A spread of 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SpD with a Calm nature allows it to tank two hits from most physical Fire-types while retaining as much special bulk as possible in order to face down Water- and Electric-types
- A purely physically defensive or specially defensive spread is viable check one side of the spectrum better
- A Sassy nature can be used if running Earthquake in the first slot
- Storm Drain is key for countering Water-types
- Leftovers provides useful passive recovery

Usage Tips
=========

- Generally switch into Fire-, Electric-, and Water-types.
- Try to activate Storm Drain

Team Options
==========

- Pokemon that can deal with Grass-types such as Houndoom, Crobat, Yanmega, and Victini are greatly appreciated.
- Bulky physical walls such as Gligar are excellent choices to take strong physical attacks that would otherwise overwhelm Gastrodon

Other Options
##########

- Surf
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power Grass

Checks And Counters
###############

**Grass-types**: Grass-types such as Roserade, Chesnaught, Cacturne, Abomasnow, Shaymin, and Ludicolo can switch into most of Gastrodon's attacks and OHKO with their respective STAB move.

**Strong Physical Attackers**: Repeated attacks from strong physical attackers are sure to put Gastrodon in its place. Examples include Absol, Mienshao, and Heracross.

**Status**: Gastrodon hates Toxic and burns because they limit its capability to wall the opposing team throughout the match. There are many users of these moves, but some of the best include Slowbro and Lanturn because they lure Gastrodon, thus crippling it easier.

Last edited:

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
I know this is still WIP but do you guys think a physically defensive spread deserves its own set? It plays quite different from the specially defensive spread. The current set is more specialized towards the types mentioned, while the physical spread acts as more of a mixed wall of sorts.

Epikhairz

Anything goes
Earth Power > Earthquake and make it Calm nature

Definitely yes to physically defensive set, due to the insane amount of physical Choice Fire-types in the tier. Just take a look at this

252 Atk Choice Band Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gastrodon: 168-198 (39.4 - 46.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

3 hits from Jolly Band Victini. That's pretty damn impressive

Perhaps a more offensive set of Hydro Pump / EP / Ice Beam / Recover set could be made with 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
Will add an offensive tank set shortly.

Should the physically defensive spread completely replace the specially defensive spread or should they be two different sets?

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
primary gastrodon set should be physically defensive, imo

Will add an offensive tank set shortly.

Should the physically defensive spread completely replace the specially defensive spread or should they be two different sets?
Just test them out on the ladder. It's necessary to do that anyway in order to write a good analysis, and is kinda expected. So, test them out, make a decision based on this and go with it. If QC decide later to add/remove, so be it. QC have plenty on their plate as is, and being proactive as an analysis writer makes the whole process move faster in the long run :)

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
After testing Gastrodon, I have come to the conclusion that the specially defensive spread is better. Gastrodon doesn't have a high Special Defense stat that allows Pokemon like Blissey, Chansey, and Florges to invest in Defense. Running a physically defensive spread also detracts from Gastrodon's niche, which is MAINLY checking/countering almost every Water- and Electric-type on the planet.

Instead of completely investing in two stats, I think a mixed spread would be the most beneficial to Gastrodon. 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 SpD with a Bold Nature allows it to switch into most physical Fire-types. I think this should be the spread for Gastrodon, allowing it to check physical AND special Fire-types while still being able to check/counter Water- and Electric-types.

Any objections or opinions?

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
max def is better overall but if you decide to use the first spread change it to 252 hp / 216 def / 40 spdef calm you get the same def / spdef stats but with 1 extra hp (although idk why you would ever use 248 on gastro in the first place)

Kushalos

ÜN ÜN ÜN
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
OUPL Champion
**Strong Physical Attackers**: Repeated attacks from strong physical attackers are sure to put Gastrodon in its place. Examples include Absol, Braviary, and Cinccino.
These mons dont exactly pop up in my head when thinking of UUs biggest physical threats. Mons like Heracross and Mienshao come to mind earlier. remove braviary and cincinno.

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
max def is better overall but if you decide to use the first spread change it to 252 hp / 216 def / 40 spdef calm you get the same def / spdef stats but with 1 extra hp (although idk why you would ever use 248 on gastro in the first place)
Ok, changed the EV spread to the one you mentioned

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
Also, I'd like QC's opinion on this: Is an offensive tank set viable on Gastrodon? I personally think it's completely viable but I'll refrain from adding it if QC doesn't approve.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)